• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fady K

A Lebanese Juventina is teaching me well.
3AQmK.gif

I'll ask Fady for more later.

You met a lebanese Juventina? Time to tie the knot son.

Let me know if you ever need help with Arabic words!

you know chelsea have won when fady retweets every single chelsea fan ever

Haha, true! I try to enjoy every win as much as possible. Every win is precious bro!

sohois

It's a lot to pay for a kid but we need to keep him, and even it was the upper figure it's still half what that cunt Young gets.

Liverpool chucked a hefty wage at Dani Pacheco when he looked the business at a similar age; It obviously didn't work out and most would say its just a gamble you should take, after all its still a small amount of money relative to the total budget, the massive contracts and what not.

However, by offering Pacheco such a large wage, basically because of youth performances and a few impressive cameos, Liverpool set a new standard for what other youth players should expect. When it came time to try and renew Tom Ince's contract he wanted a similar amount, but by the time the owners weren't nearly prepared to offer such a large contract to a youth player. So he went elsewhere (though there were probably reasons other than money given that Blackpool offer pretty tiny wages). Thus Liverpool missed out on a talented winger and potentially ~£10mil down the road because of the excessive contract.

All of the United fans, looking at Adnan, will only be able to think of one player, Paul Pogba. All of their thinking will be of a £30million player missed out on and the determination to avoid making a similar mistake. The example of Pogba is a hugely salient example and impossible to ignore for your average human.

But in fact the base rate of success for youngsters is going to be absolutely tiny. The number of youth players, even the best ones, that hit Pogba's level is probably in the single digits percent wise, indeed I would be surprised if 1 out of every 100 achieved such success. Even just looking at good squad players you're probably still dealing with a tiny percentage.

It is this base rate which should inform Utd's decision making. The chances of Januzai achieving the high level expected of Utd remain very small with such a small sample of first team play to go on, thus it would be an irrational decision to heavily break their structure for such a poor bet.

Fady K

Kyle Walker lol

Might be the thickest player ever.

In all honesty he was not feeling well at all yesterday but AVB supposedly insisted on him playing. So they say.

urtellingme21s1z.png

Oh, I know.

:(((((

I feel for you bro - I really do. Though Eurosport is reporting that Poyet is expected to be named the boss for the team within the next 24 hours. The good news is the international break can help the manager settle in and get some extra time to prepare.

I also thought your first win should have been against Manchester United, easily. The misses were to be rued, and Chelsea almost suffered the same fate against Norwich yesterday. We just keep on missing glorious chances. We even did so against the mighty Bayern Munich.

Mastadon

Banned
Poyet is a massive gamble for Sunderland, not sure how I'd feel about it as a fan. Seems very similar to Di Canio in a lot of respects, although a more measured version.

Hixx

In all honesty he was not feeling well at all yesterday but AVB supposedly insisted on him playing. So they say.

I feel for you bro - I really do. Though Eurosport is reporting that Poyet is expected to be named the boss for the team within the next 24 hours. The good news is the international break can help the manager settle in and get some extra time to prepare.

I also thought your first win should have been against Manchester United, easily. The misses were to be rued, and Chelsea almost suffered the same fate against Norwich yesterday. We just keep on missing glorious chances. We even did so against the mighty Bayern Munich.

Yeah, we should have been 2 up and even could have been 3 up at half time. As 'poor' as Man United have been this season they aren't going to let you off the hook twice, not when they're about to lose 3 games in a row.

Poyet is a massive gamble for Sunderland, not sure how I'd feel about it as a fan. Seems very similar to Di Canio in a lot of respects, although a more measured version.

Completely agree, do not see the point in it. Also I do not like his style of play at all, it is too similar to Swansea under Rodgers. Short passes at all costs.

John O'Shea will have an aneurysm.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Vialli “I’ve heard rumours from England that there has been contact between Pirlo and Tottenham for next season".

I'm okay with that as long as we get Xabi Alonso.

L1NETT

Poyet turned Brighton from a struggling L1 side into promotion hopeful's, he is a good manager. Not sure he has the right set of players for his system at sunderland though.

Can see him going for Bridcutt in Jan, and maybe Buckley as well. Both deserve a shot at the PL.

He does have a hot streak too, but after nutjob Di Canio anybody will seem like a welcome break.

I think he needs time and a few transfer windows to make his mark if he does go there, which I am not sure he will get. Good manager, not the right time or club.

Mick Mccarthy or Mcclaren (before he went to Derby) would have been better choices. There isn't a great wealth of good managers out there. Stuart Mccall should come to the PL, cos I love him so much but he won't.

Clegg

Wilshere embarrassed himself with his constant denial about not being a smoker.

Of course this is a non-story to begin with, but he did himself no favours either,

dc89

PES has patched. It took 1 hour 51 minutes. How do I know this? Because I played the WiiU :lol

1:10 - Zelda Wind Waker
0:36 - Mario
0:05 - MiiVerse

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It was one match. You're still going to win the league. You should ditch EL though.

Vertonghen and Paulinho didn't even travel to Russia and they were the two worst players. It was complacency pure and simple, same as United v West Brom.

Fady K

Yeah, we should have been 2 up and even could have been 3 up at half time. As 'poor' as Man United have been this season they aren't going to let you off the hook twice, not when they're about to lose 3 games in a row.

Exactly. I understand this situation well because Chelsea are excellent at missing good chances. Let's see how Poyet will influence the team.

Off to see Prisoners soon. Been looking forward to this for a while.

As WJD said:

It's boss.

Great film. Enjoy!

Salvadora

Yep. Then kept denying he was a smoker until today when he admitted it.

Should have just admitted it from the beginning. Now he's made a tit of himself. He needs a better PR man.
He admitted he was a smoker today? That lad needs to get his head screwed on. No one should smoke, especially professional athletes.

Drop him to the bench and fine him please, Arsene.

L1NETT

Oi Mick is a top manager Hixx.

Don't you mock you.

who would you have/want/need though?

---

Clegg, where are you getting that he finally admitted it?

It isn't a big deal, Joe Root and Tim Bresnan were "caught" and only the real twatmonkeys gave two shits.

Hixx

Oi Mick is a top manager Hixx.

Don't you mock you.

who would you have/want/need though?

I wouldn't have minded McLaren tbh.

I don't think Poyet is a bad choice just don't see the point in swapping him for Di Canio.

Also McCarthy is a poor PL manager. Knows how to get out of the Championship, though.

Salvadora

In other news: Cavani is a cunt:
I am sure Liverpool fans are very happy Luis stayed - he will be a big player for them,"

"I think Arsenal was not Luis's dream move, maybe if it had been Real Madrid then it would have been a different outcome - but of course Madrid were concentrating on a different target this summer.

"It is his dream club - and a club he thinks is worth waiting for."

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Excuse the translation, it was on a Czech talk show. The bit about Veron is hilarious :lol

Interviewer to Nedved: “Did you have a teammate who was extremely lazy at practices and yet he was a very good football player?”

Pavel Nedved: “Yes, yes I did (laughs)… It was a world-class player. Juan Sebastian Veron. He played with me in Lazio. It was a great player. I can tell you a story about him…We go to a practice all dressed up and he comes out of dressing room and goes to a side line wearing his flip-flops. He stops there and looks at us. We were running and working hard. He says: ‘You’re freaks. Only those who can’t play football train, remember that.’. But I have to say he was an excellent player, he didn’t need to train, trained very little maybe just a half hour and still was excellent when we played a game. So I think everybody find their own ways and I just had the exact opposite of his.”

I wonder if he pulled that shit with SAF.

kharma45

Liverpool chucked a hefty wage at Dani Pacheco when he looked the business at a similar age; It obviously didn't work out and most would say its just a gamble you should take, after all its still a small amount of money relative to the total budget, the massive contracts and what not.

However, by offering Pacheco such a large wage, basically because of youth performances and a few impressive cameos, Liverpool set a new standard for what other youth players should expect. When it came time to try and renew Tom Ince's contract he wanted a similar amount, but by the time the owners weren't nearly prepared to offer such a large contract to a youth player. So he went elsewhere (though there were probably reasons other than money given that Blackpool offer pretty tiny wages). Thus Liverpool missed out on a talented winger and potentially ~£10mil down the road because of the excessive contract.

All of the United fans, looking at Adnan, will only be able to think of one player, Paul Pogba. All of their thinking will be of a £30million player missed out on and the determination to avoid making a similar mistake. The example of Pogba is a hugely salient example and impossible to ignore for your average human.

But in fact the base rate of success for youngsters is going to be absolutely tiny. The number of youth players, even the best ones, that hit Pogba's level is probably in the single digits percent wise, indeed I would be surprised if 1 out of every 100 achieved such success. Even just looking at good squad players you're probably still dealing with a tiny percentage.

It is this base rate which should inform Utd's decision making. The chances of Januzai achieving the high level expected of Utd remain very small with such a small sample of first team play to go on, thus it would be an irrational decision to heavily break their structure for such a poor bet.

Stop talking sense.

This is true. That is why managers must know how to assess the youth players correctly.

The rest of the youth players can fuck off. None are as talented as Januzaj. Januzaj is currently the highest paid youth player as it is. Fergie knew how good he was. If youth players want the money Januzaj will get, they should prove themselves on the pitch. Januzaj is the standout performer every game for the reserves despite being the youngest. He has looked the best since he first made the step up to the u21s.

In the reserves, these are the things you have to look at to determine who will make it.
1. Age
2. Technique
3. Another great attribute like vision, finishing, dribbling, etc...
4. Physical maturity - Bigger players look better in the u21s and it's an advantage they won't have in the first team. If that's what is why they are dominant, you raise doubts.
5. The most important quality, consistency

A lot of fans overrate players because of a brilliant performance, but ignore the games where they don't shine. They also overrate players over how good they look, but fail to take into account their physical stature compared to the other players. They also like to overrate players based on goals. Goal scorers are a little harder to gauge how good they are because of the quality of defending they go up against. Fans also tend to ignore the rest of the game, but the goal. The goal is the highlight reel so it can be blinding for some. This is why I don't rate Lingard as much as Januzaj. He scores more than Januzaj and muppets on redcafe start thinking Lingard is a future world beater. His general play is inconsistent. Finally, fans tend to not realize how much of a step up first team football is. If you can't stand out game after game, there's no reason to believe a player is above that level.

If the manager looks at these types of things and feels the player deserves that contract he shouldn't be questioned. The problem arises when a manager doesn't assess a player correctly and hands out that contract You'll then have a problem because those feats are dime a dozen and the rest of the reserve players will feel they deserve that contract.

I also think it's unfair to be tighter on wages with a youth player compared to a player bought. Ronaldo, Rooney, etc... were on big wages as 18 year olds. Exceptional youth players shouldn't be punished because they were bought at age 16 or so. Zaha is on 35k a week. Januzaj should get more than him as he's more talented.

kharma45

Finally saw that Ravel Morrison goal from yesterday, fairly good but not as good Big Fat Sam made out. Good to see though it seems he's on the right road with regards to his football.

PES has patched. It took 1 hour 51 minutes. How do I know this? Because I played the WiiU :lol

1:10 - Zelda Wind Waker
0:36 - Mario
0:05 - MiiVerse

You could also have used like a clock or a stop watch, both incredible things that doesn't cost 250 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom