• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJD

RVEuS1w.png

Poor Marouane.

sohois

This is true. That is why managers must know how to assess the youth players correctly.

The rest of the youth players can fuck off. None are as talented as Januzaj. Januzaj is currently the highest paid youth player as it is. Fergie knew how good he was. If youth players want the money Januzaj will get, they should prove themselves on the pitch. Januzaj is the standout performer every game for the reserves despite being the youngest. He has looked the best since he first made the step up to the u21s.

This is a problematic attitude, as I pointed out with the Ince example. Players are always going to overrate themselves and ask for as much money as they can get, even if they don't believe they are on the same level as the best youth performers. But they will want some kind of proportional parity which means all the lower level wages are going to rise a small amount. Over many, many mediocre youth players this can add up to quite a bit. With Ince he probably would have gladly accepted a lower amount than Pacheco (given that he went to the low wages of Blackpool), but wanted something in the same range. Liverpool felt at the time there was no need since Stirling was already much better, with the effect that they missed out on quite a good player.

In the reserves, these are the things you have to look at to determine who will make it.
1. Age
2. Technique
3. Another great attribute like vision, finishing, dribbling, etc...
4. Physical maturity - Bigger players look better in the u21s and it's an advantage they won't have in the first team. If that's what is why they are dominant, you raise doubts.
5. The most important quality, consistency

A lot of fans overrate players because of a brilliant performance, but ignore the games where they don't shine. They also overrate players over how good they look, but fail to take into account their physical stature compared to the other players. They also like to overrate players based on goals. Goal scorers are a little harder to gauge how good they are because of the quality of defending they go up against. Fans also tend to ignore the rest of the game, but the goal. The goal is the highlight reel so it can be blinding for some. This is why I don't rate Lingard as much as Januzaj. He scores more than Januzaj and muppets on redcafe start thinking Lingard is a future world beater. His general play is inconsistent. Finally, fans tend to not realize how much of a step up first team football is. If you can't stand out game after game, there's no reason to believe a player is above that level.

If the manager looks at these types of things and feels the player deserves that contract he shouldn't be questioned. The problem arises when a manager doesn't assess a player correctly and hands out that contract You'll then have a problem because those feats are dime a dozen and the rest of the reserve players will feel they deserve that contract.

I also think it's unfair to be tighter on wages with a youth player compared to a player bought. Ronaldo, Rooney, etc... were on big wages as 18 year olds. Exceptional youth players shouldn't be punished because they were bought at age 16 or so. Zaha is on 35k a week. Januzaj should get more than him as he's more talented.

Of course it's 'unfair' that brought in players have much higher wages but it's just an economic reality.

And in fact Zaha is a prime example of why Januzaj shouldn't be given that much; you may feel that Januzaj has a higher ceiling, will be a better player, but the fact remains that Zaha's season in the championship gives a much better indication of his potential ability than Januzaj, it is far easier to predict Zaha's end potential as there is a far greater sample size to use for judgement. You highlight how consistency is important but are you really considering it from a rational perspective? The difference in quality from the reserve leagues to senior leagues is truly massive.

Ultimately United have been pushed into a corner, by failing to tie up his contract earlier they lack the time to get a real estimation of Januzaj's ability and must decide whether to offer him the big money, with all of the indirect problems that could cause, or potentially miss out on someone who could be a top player. Is the expected utility of Januzaj ultimately positive given the costs of the reported contract? I don't think it is.

L1NETT

Once you give astronomical wages (relative) to one youth player, other youth players at the club or joining from United's stealing foreign players scheme will also ask for that amount of money.

Once you break that wage parity once, other youth players will inflate their costs. And only have one real quality player coming through with first team potential speaks volumes about their youth system.

Into

Excuse the translation, it was on a Czech talk show. The bit about Veron is hilarious :lol

I wonder if he pulled that shit with SAF.

That is incredible, Veron was probably one of those guys who if he had the work ethic could have been Footballer of the Year, as he had ample amount of talent.

In his United days, he looked like a guy who just gave no shits about anything, walked around like he was on vacation on the pitch.

This is a problematic attitude, as I pointed out with the Ince example. Players are always going to overrate themselves and ask for as much money as they can get, even if they don't believe they are on the same level as the best youth performers. But they will want some kind of proportional parity which means all the lower level wages are going to rise a small amount. Over many, many mediocre youth players this can add up to quite a bit. With Ince he probably would have gladly accepted a lower amount than Pacheco (given that he went to the low wages of Blackpool), but wanted something in the same range. Liverpool felt at the time there was no need since Stirling was already much better, with the effect that they missed out on quite a good player.

Of course it's 'unfair' that brought in players have much higher wages but it's just an economic reality.

And in fact Zaha is a prime example of why Januzaj shouldn't be given that much; you may feel that Januzaj has a higher ceiling, will be a better player, but the fact remains that Zaha's season in the championship gives a much better indication of his potential ability than Januzaj, it is far easier to predict Zaha's end potential as there is a far greater sample size to use for judgement. You highlight how consistency is important but are you really considering it from a rational perspective? The difference in quality from the reserve leagues to senior leagues is truly massive.

Ultimately United have been pushed into a corner, by failing to tie up his contract earlier they lack the time to get a real estimation of Januzaj's ability and must decide whether to offer him the big money, with all of the indirect problems that could cause, or potentially miss out on someone who could be a top player. Is the expected utility of Januzaj ultimately positive given the costs of the reported contract? I don't think it is.

I'm 99% sure it is.

Once you give astronomical wages (relative) to one youth player, other youth players at the club or joining from United's stealing foreign players scheme will also ask for that amount of money.

Once you break that wage parity once, other youth players will inflate their costs. And only have one real quality player coming through with first team potential speaks volumes about their youth system.

We have several potential first teamers. Lingard, Pereira, James Wilson, Pearson, and Will Keane. If Lingard continues his good form on loan I think he can make it as a squad player. The rest I feel can become regulars, but I would never bet on it. I need to see more out of them in the coming year.

Adnan is the one I'm sure of. He's looked quality since day one and has been the best player on the pitch in every reserve game except for maybe 2 games. He's also the most naturally talented of them all. Not even Pogba looked this good in the reserves. Morrison did, but I don't think he was as consistent as Adnan and also didn't have the technique of Adnan. He was always the more natural goal scorer though.

United have already fucked up with wages when they gave Young 120k a week and Anderfat 80k a week.

Plasma

Banned
Denying that he's a smoker. Said it was a prank played on him by his teammates.

How exactly they can prank him into putting a cigarette into his mouth and lighting it I do not know.

His spokes person said that made me laugh at the weekend.

His come out on Arsenal Player and admitted he did it but says he isn't a smoker and that was the last time.

Mastadon

Banned
it's pretty embarrassing for pochettino that he doesn't seem to speak any english.

They were saying this morning that his English is actually okay, and he uses it with his players in the dressing room. He just doesn't want to speak English to the media.

Wouldn't have a problem with it until yesterday, when you came out as a Del Piero hater. Shameful, just shameful. I seriously thought you were one of the good guys.

haha, sorry. I love Juve and rooted for him to do well when he played for Juve. But I believe he cost Italy the Euro 2000 final. Totti was immense that year and IMO the best player in the world over Figo, Rivaldo, Zidane and destroyed France in that final.

Above Arsenal and Juve will always come La nazionale. He break my heart for them and it is over.

It was from that moment in time that Del Piero and Totti stopped being equals in my eyes. i will always say that the best player I have ever watched is Totti. he does things on a pitch that other players only dream of. Ronaldo's power, Zidane's control, Messi's finishing, Pirlo's vision and nobody has the fantasy characteristics of Totti, Had The Ronaldo stayed fit then maybe he would have been number 1, because he was simply unplayable when he was 19.

Sure Totti is not a 90% passer, but that is due to what he tries on the pitch. nobody attempted and completed more through balls in Europe than him last year. He has also never been a dedicated number 9, yet is second all time in the goal scoring charts of Serie A. he has scored every type of goal imaginable, minus a pure bicycle kick.

bud

They were saying this morning that his English is actually okay, and he uses it with his players in the dressing room. He just doesn't want to speak English to the media.

hmm... what is "okay," though? when giving an interview, his translator also translates the questions which leads me to believe it's quite poor.

All the more reason why he should join his good friend Pogba.

Are they actually friends??? That will be cool if Pogba can talk him into coming.

How much is Pogba on??? Juve can not afford to match United for Adnan's wages, but I would love to see him continue to get playing time so Juve can judge him and then offer him something in January, before Moyes benches him for the rest of the season.

You don't have to convince me. Totti is one of the all-time italian greats. However, his story with the Nazionale is similar to Del Piero's. Both always felt more at home with their respective clubs.

I always think people underestimate what Totti did for Italy. his understanding with Vieri was great. Why people say he was not all that was because of the two reds for a genuine penalty in 2002 and the spitting in 2004.

and yes I would not rule out what you suggested :D

Zabojnik

Are they actually friends??? That will be cool if Pogba can talk him into coming.

How much is Pogba on??? Juve can not afford to match United for Adnan's wages, but I would love to see him continue to get playing time so Juve can judge him and then offer him something in January, before Moyes benches him for the rest of the season.

I don't know how much he's making right now, but it's not much. He's about to get a new contract though. We were never seriously after Adnan. I think it's pretty clear he's destined to become a starting XI player for United. If anyone wanted him, they should've tried to steal him this summer. It's too late now.

GK: Buffon (Juventus), Marchetti (Lazio), Sirigu (Paris Saint Germain);
D: Abate (Milan), Astori (Cagliari), Balzaretti (Roma), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), De Silvestri (Sampdoria), Pasqual (Fiorentina), Ranocchia (Inter);
M: Aquilani (Fiorentina), Candreva (Lazio), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Florenzi (Roma), Giaccherini (Sunderland), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus), Poli (Milan), Thiago Motta (Paris Saint Germain), Verratti (Paris Saint Germain);
F: Balotelli (Milan), Cerci (Torino), Gilardino (Genoa), Insigne (Napoli), Osvaldo (Southampton), Rossi (Fiorentina)

GK: All three are worthy starters.
D: the fullback positions are such a concern.Will look better when Maggio and De Sciglio are back.
M: I am happy with midfielders for a 4-3-3, but if we use one midfielder behind s trikers, or two midfielders behing 1 striker I worry about the quality available.

Tottiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii please come out of retirement and play, stay healthy for the World Cup and Prandelli will call you

F: Gilardino should be nowhere near this team still, the lack of quality number 9s is true worrying. Fuck Destro and Borini they were meant to be the answer. It is shocking that Toni i the number 9 with the most goals in Serie A this season with 3. It is great to see Rossi back.

With qualification in the bag I expect two awful performances and lots of experimenting.

Timurid

SHIELD Pilot was pretty darn awful. I didnt feel like giving it my 3 episode test.

GK: All three are worthy starters.
D: the fullback positions are such a concern.Will look better when Maggio and De Sciglio are back.
M: I am happy with midfielders for a 4-3-3, but if we use one midfielder behind s trikers, or two midfielders behing 1 striker I worry about the quality available.

Tottiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii please come out of retirement and play, stay healthy for the World Cup and Prandelli will call you

F: Gilardino should be nowhere near this team still, the lack of quality number 9s is true worrying. Fuck Destro and Borini they were meant to be the answer. It is shocking that Toni i the number 9 with the most goals in Serie A this season with 3. It is great to see Rossi back.

With qualification in the bag I expect two awful performances and lots of experimenting.
Cerci is going to carry the team anyway.

Fergie

Banned

ibkZGaa1d41HY8.gif

Salvadora

Bale was never hyped at 18 to the level of Adnan. Ronaldo also got a ruff deal by the media for being a a drama queen and falling over easily.
Is Adnan really being that hyped?

By United fans, sure, but the media/general football fans? Not really, he rescued United from defeat and deservedly made headlines, but that is about it. Him being United's only 'wonderkid' gives him attention singlehandedly to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom