• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep amazing gesture. And before anyone says it, yes we are part using the grant that all PL clubs got.

United have knocked £4 off the price of a ticket.

Just let that sink in...

We are doing so shit that's the least they can do. I'm not even hoping for a top 2 finish, but I hope things start to look up for us.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
von Trieeeeeer

VUCVui3.png

tempted

Yep amazing gesture. And before anyone says it, yes we are part using the grant that all PL clubs got.

United have knocked £4 off the price of a ticket.

Just let that sink in...

Amazing gesture??? £1000 each. That is most likely only 1/50th of the worst paid city player city.

I actually would find that insulting, obviously the club have told them to, and it is most likely not something that any of them even care about. Just a PR stunt that looks pathetic in my eyes.

Imagine giving £10 to charity out of your yearly salary and then going around saying look at me donating to the poor children of Africa.
But really it was just something your boss said they were going to do on your behalf.

Arnie

Amazing gesture??? £1000 each. That is most likely only 1/50th of the worst paid city player city.

I actually would find that insulting, obviously the club have told them to, and it is most likely not something that any of them even care about. Just a PR stunt that looks pathetic in my eyes.

Imagine giving £10 to charity out of your yearly salary and then going around saying look at me donating to the poor children of Africa.
But really it was just something your boss said they were going to do on your behalf.

Stop.

Forget the percentage of the wages they're donating. Away ticket prices for fans have been halved. It's fucking huge. Newcastle's £20 away day scheme is top, and all clubs should be following suit.

Stop.

Forget the percentage of the wages they're donating. Away ticket prices for fans have been halved. It's fucking huge. Newcastle's £20 away day scheme is top, and all clubs should be following suit.

errrr, for selected fixtures. they have not said how many yet.

If it was everygame than sure, but do not act like this is impressive. it is just a PR stunt. The owners could afford to proviide free tickets and travel to every away game if they wanted to and still not bat an eyelid.

edit: also I know this might be an unpopular view, but i really dont care for this "things need to be cheaper for the fans". It is not a god given right to follow your football team. If people are worried about prices then dont go, dont whine about how expensive shit is. I had made several transatlantic flights to go watch the Oakland A's and did not worry about the cost of following my team. i was a fan and saved for it and enjoyed my experience. I also flew from Korea to watch Arsenal last December and felt that the cost of the flight was worth it and did not moan about costs. it is not my right to watch Arsenal. i either pay or I dont. There are plenty of experiences in life i can not afford and I do not moan about the expense. i just get on with life.

However, clubs making transport easier for fans from the home city is always nice.

Wes

venison crêpe
I am interested in getting it, especially for network play. How would the network league work exactly???

I was thinking every Saturday a couple of hours before the lunchtime EPL kick off? It's something that can be discussed and voted on though, if I end up being bothered to go ahead sorting it out.

errrr, for selected fixtures. they have not said how many yet.

If it was everygame than sure, but do not act like this is impressive. it is just a PR stunt. The owners could afford to proviide free tickets and travel to every away game if they wanted to and still not bat an eyelid.

edit: also I know this might be an unpopular view, but i really dont care for this "things need to be cheaper for the fans". It is not a god given right to follow your football team. If people are worried about prices then dont go, dont whine about how expensive shit is. I had made several transatlantic flights to go watch the Oakland A's and did not worry about the cost of following my team. i was a fan and saved for it and enjoyed my experience. I also flew from Korea to watch Arsenal last December and felt that the cost of the flight was worth it and did not moan about costs. it is not my right to watch Arsenal. i either pay or I dont. There are plenty of experiences in life i can not afford and I do not moan about the expense. i just get on with life.

However, clubs making transport easier for fans from the home city is always nice.

I think it has something to do with the fact that the majority of the hardcore away following for most clubs are working class people. They can't generally afford to pay 80 quid to watch support the team against Ajax when you factor in all the other costs.

And this is just anecdotal, but working class people make more noise and are more passionate about screaming and singing and dancing like loons for two hours every weekend.

Now, do I believe this gesture would have come about if the price of away tickets didn't reach asinine levels on recent years, resulting in adverse media coverage? Probably not. It probably is a bit of a PR stunt too, but that doesn't mean it's not genuine or appreciated by the fans.

I think it has something to do with the fact that the majority of the hardcore away following for most clubs are working class people. They can't generally afford to pay 80 quid to watch support the team against Ajax when you factor in all the other costs.

And this is just anecdotal, but working class people make more noise and are more passionate about screaming and singing and dancing like loons for two hours every weekend.

Now, do I believe this gesture would have come about if the price of away tickets didn't reach asinine levels on recent years, resulting in adverse media coverage? Probably not. It probably is a bit of a PR stunt too, but that doesn't mean it's not genuine or appreciated by the fans.

I agree, but remember they choose to go to games. It is a passion/hobby for them. It is not a live and death need.

I know this will come across as London arrogance, but i do agree that smaller little town clubs should not be charging ridiculous prices when there fan bases can't afford it. Arsenal fans can afford it and the sheer number of members can allow the current prices to be maintained.
i also think we have the best travelling fans, whenever I watch games we are by far the loudest travelling fans. The whole reason the Arsenal fans at the emirates get a raw deal, is because people watching at home complain about the noise when the stadium design does not keep it in. Every game I have been into at the stadium has produced a great atmosphere

Hixx

i also think we have the best travelling fans, whenever I watch games we are by far the loudest travelling fans.

DEAD

I AM DEAD

You really don't.

Hahahahaha!

Also I can't really be bothered to argue about how wrong you are when it comes to the cost of football as I have posted itt about it numerous times but if the people who struggled to afford following their team stopped doing it... stadiums would be half empty.

Hey, maybe then Arsenal fans WOULD be the loudest!

Don't get FIFA 14 guys. It's the worst fifa since forever. 13 is miles better.

It's better than 13.

What does suck is the raining part, what the fuck. It's bullshit that the only way to win matches is to hoof it around though, believe fc are playing much better football than in 13 most of the time, now that you can actually pass it decent around.

How can beardless Vucinic and Llorente play for the same club? Juve pls. Send us some handsomeness.

Claudio will do.

First name basis cause we already got him, amiright?

Meier

DEAD

I AM DEAD

You really don't.

Hahahahaha!

Also I can't really be bothered to argue about how wrong you are when it comes to the cost of football as I have posted itt about it numerous times but if the people who struggled to afford following their team stopped doing it... stadiums would be half empty.

I can't quite determine if he is part joke character or what. I don't disagree that the money is a drop in the bucket to the City players and staff, but the fact of the matter is that not every team is doing it, even those with huge amounts of wealth, and therefore it should be lauded. It's a nice gesture.

Goodness knows we need the help during away games..

I can't quite determine if he is part joke character or what. I don't disagree that the money is a drop in the bucket to the City players and staff, but the fact of the matter is that not every team is doing it, even those with huge amounts of wealth, and therefore it should be lauded. It's a nice gesture.

Goodness knows we need the help during away games..

What do away fans need help with? Prices? Or actual numbers?

And yeah, saying Arsenal fans are the loudest is just hilarious. Lower league club fans typically outsing most of the bigger clubs from my experience.

DEAD

I AM DEAD

You really don't.

Hahahahaha!

Gosh every little non london club likes to think that they have the best fans. The only travelling fans i have ever been impressed with at the Emirates are the scousers.

Also stadiums would not be half empty, clubs would most likely just lower prices to ensure fans came back. During the rough years for Arsenal some fans have complained about the prices, but when those season ticket fans did not snap up their tickets, they were sold to the second or third options. of course Arsenal were gonna keep prices around the same level when there was always enough demand.

But I do agree prices for non London/birmingham/liverpool/manchester clubs should be a lot lower, keeping in line with the fan base.

And yeah, saying Arsenal fans are the loudest is just hilarious. Lower league club fans typically outsing most of the bigger clubs from my experience.

of course, they get up for the their one big game of the season and outsing them.

I know it is my London arrogance, buut if you can not afford to go to games then DONT. fucking save your money and spend it on something worthy of it rather than basically watching 22 men run around for 90 minutes. Not going to games is not the end of the world.

confuziz

Banned
It's better than 13.

What does suck is the raining part, what the fuck. It's bullshit that the only way to win matches is to hoof it around though, believe fc are playing much better football than in 13 most of the time, now that you can actually pass it decent around.

So exactly...how is it better?

So exactly...how is it better?

Do you really need fucking bulletpoint lists?

For one, the movement of the players feel quite different and more heavy now, making something like this possible which Hixx giffed

I love beating players 1 on 1 now. In 13 it's always a case of essentially strafing but because of the new weight and inertia that ain't going to happen.

merkedg5sjk.gif

Or slow the defender down, bring him in then knock it away and try to slip past them:

merked2dfb2w.gif

I would also say the shooting is better, more varied. The defending too has been improved in most aspects, it's much harder to do sliding tackles and you have to think more about your positioning.

Also you can't just easily exploit the game by having midgets in your teams anymore. You gotta work it around the area and wait for the opponent to slip up.

Meier

I interpreted it as our players were making it so that OUR fans who went to away games would pay half the price of the ticket value. I don't think this is benefiting fans of other teams coming to our house. The team has been awful on the road this season so more asses in the stands can't hurt!

Gosh every little non london club likes to think that they have the best fans. The only travelling fans i have ever been impressed with at the Emirates are the scousers.

Also stadiums would not be half empty, clubs would most likely just lower prices to ensure fans came back. During the rough years for Arsenal some fans have complained about the prices, but when those season ticket fans did not snap up their tickets, they were sold to the second or third options. of course Arsenal were gonna keep prices around the same level when there was always enough demand.

But I do agree prices for non London/birmingham/liverpool/manchester clubs should be a lot lower, keeping in line with the fan base.

of course, they get up for the their one big game of the season and outsing them.

I know it is my London arrogance, buut if you can not afford to go to games then DONT. fucking save your money and spend it on something worthy it rather than basically watching 22 men run around for 90 minutes. Not going to games is not the end of the world.

Well, that's the whole point, isn't it? Going to football should be affordable. And now clubs are starting to realise that it they price the average rough-around-the-edges 'away fan' out, there goes half the atmosphere.

I interpreted it as our players were making it so that OUR fans who went to away games would pay half the price of the ticket value. I don't think this is benefiting fans of other teams coming to our house. The team has been awful on the road this season so more asses in the stands can't hurt!

Remember this is only a select number of games, it is not every game.

confuziz

Banned
Do you really need fucking bulletpoint lists?

For one, the movement of the players feel quite different and more heavy now, making something like this possible which Hixx giffed

I would also say the shooting is better, more varied. The defending too has been improved in most aspects, it's much harder to do sliding tackles and you have to think more about your positioning.

Also you can't just easily exploit the game by having midgets in your teams anymore.

do you work for EA? Defending improved? Have you tried defending headers? This game is pure bullcrap. I'm going to wait for the inevitable update. EA hinted at some form of update at their official forum.

do you work for EA? Defending improved? Have you tried defending headers? This game is purr bull. I'm going to wait for the inevitable update. EA hinted at some form of update at their official forumm

You caught me, I'm a fifa developer. Defending headers on corners seems bad, but I'm unsure if it's just our club that hasn't figured them out yet, heading the ball away in general is fine though, as someone who plays a lot of CB for our GAF club I'm an expert. Not to mention the working for EA part.

confuziz

Banned
You just know they will get voted worst company next year once again.

In other news, I just had my flu shot. I can live for yet another year.

Meier

I haven't played 14 yet since I expect I may still play a little 13 in the next month plus and don't want it to feel too awkward due to the differences. It will be an adjustment but that's okay.

I imagine they'll have patched a lot of stuff between now and the next-gen release. My concern is these adjustments won't make it into the new version though and then take time to patch as well. Oh well, we'll see.

Well, that's the whole point, isn't it? Going to football should be affordable. And now clubs are starting to realise that it they price the average rough-around-the-edges 'away fan' out, there goes half the atmosphere.

Clubs should be pricing their away tickets so that they can aim to get 80-90% of fans to attend. of course there is no point charging 30 for a game and you only fill 40% of your allocation, but if you charge 15 you can fill 85%. However, if a club can charge £55 and sell out their allocation than that is fine to.

i just looked at Arsenal's prices for the United game, which are £55. i actually find it incredibly pathetic that they are given a £2.50 discount. They should not be bothering at all. the only fans eligible to go to the United games are fans who have enough away games points, so people who are clearly not worried about spending money to follow Arsenal.

You just know they will get voted worst company next year once again.

In other news, I just had my flu shot. I can live for yet another year.

Don't care for how they threat their workers or how a EA wife can't get to see her husband anymore. They can sacrifice animals and kids to wish for good sales and I would not give a fuck. I just want to play fifa

omgkitty

I started playing shittier teams and I'm having more fun in FIFA 14. Decided to start a season with Leyont Orient, and am having an easier time. I've basically just realized all the really good teams just park the bus in front of the goal for the entire game making it impossible to score. It's frustrating as fuck. Lower level teams play much more openly.

Manager

ultimate Soccer Manager 98, is still my favourite footy sim. You could offer a bung to opposing teams.

218379-ultimate-soccer-manager-98-windows-screenshot-setting-training.png

48413-UltimateSoccerManager98.jpg

218385-ultimate-soccer-manager-98-windows-screenshot-the-transfer.png

489421-usm98_3.jpg

Still the best IMO.

That was fucking amazing, I played the shit out of it. I loved the fax machine feature, felt surreal sending contracts.

It had no search function though. I always bought Per Zetterberg, which meant I had to manually go down the list of all players in the game to reach Z. Since the scrolling was really slow, I had to put something heavy on the mouse button and go away for 10 minutes or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom