• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually really excited for the games on Tuesday, so much at stake. For example just look at this fight for second place.

SRS3QsZ.png

Lots of interesting games. Turkey vs Netherlands for example. Turkey fighting to qualify for a playoff, Netherlands needing a win to be seeded at the World Cup.

Kenka

I'm actually really excited for the games on Tuesday, so much at stake. For example just look at this fight for second place.

SRS3QsZ.png

Lots of interesting games. Turkey vs Netherlands for example. Turkey fighting to qualify for a playoff, Netherlands needing a win to be seeded at the World Cup.
Go Armenia. One of these teams like Bosnia or Iceland I always cheer for without any rational explanation.

FootballFan

;)

Btw, what kind of weather can we expect in the New Zealand home match? Hot as fuck?

Mexico wants to play home at 3pm (the heat + height + pollution will be too much for you guys)

I'm not a kiwi, I just live here :p

I can't tell you about the weather. Wellington is where you will probably play and it's known as the windy city here, that's all I know lol. Been there, it was....windy.

Shouldn't be too hot or cold, just average.

I guess you could use last qualifiers vs Bahrain as an example. Here are the highlights.

You can also see the style they used.. park the bus and smash it up. And that's against Bahrain.

If there's a freekick with in 60 metres of the goal you can bet $50 that it won't be taken quickly. They wait until the CBs go up to try score a header lol. Every freekick and corner is like a golden chance.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Hope Portugal draws France in the playoffs. Could be epic.

btw Marc Stein a City fan? lol did he start watching football 2 years ago?

FootballFan

TheFeedingHand

Notice how in that first half highlight vid, out of the 6 chances for NZ. 2 from crosses from the wing, 3 from freekicks, 1 from corner lol.

Second half highlights, this one is pretty funny. At 25seconds Bahrain win a penalty and the guy celebrates as if he scored. Penalty gets saved.

edit
I don't watch the All Whites regularly so maybe their style has changed. Pretty sure it's the same though. I go to their matches when they play here(pretty rarely) and last time it was no different.

Chichalol

I don't know why they let him take the pens. He's always been shit at pens.

Pundits, journalists and fans alike has been saying that Shinji Kagawa should be playing centrally in the #10 role to thrive rather than playing him on the left. I agree but I think his problems extend beyond the position in which he has been deployed.

United have had Eric Cantona, Teddy Sheringham, Dwight Yorke, Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez and Dimitar Berbatov play just off the striker but none are in the pure #10 playmaker mould of Shinji Kagawa, David Silva or Mesut Ozil even though they all played more or less in the similar position. All the affore mentioned players are what some people have coined as “nine and a half”.

They are neither purely a goalscorers like Van Nistelrooy nor purely a creator like Zidane, Raul perhaps was the most well known “nine and a half” striker around. Unlike the pure #10 creator, they do not act as the main creative outlet for their teams nor do they get as involved as a pure #10 in the initiating of attacks. Their primary role is to link-up between the forwards and the midfielders to keep the game flowing and to get to the end of scoring chances.

Hence, Kagawa is the first ever pure #10 playmaker to play for United in the modern era. It means that United players are not used to playing with this type of player in this kind of role before. As a result, Kagawa is not able to replicate the kind of form shown at Borussia Dortmund due to the players around him not knowing how to utilise his qualities.

Sir Alex’s United has been always set-up to attack using the width, thus, our wingers are usually are the main creator of chances, especially since 2009 when Ronaldo, Tevez and Queiroz left us, leading Sir Alex to go back to basics by setting up a more rigid 4-4-2 formation with less fluidity and flexibility compared to the 2008 team.

Due to the tendency of passing the ball to wide players when launching an attack, Kagawa is often being overlooked in the middle even though he might find himself pocket of spaces in between lines and closer to goal with his good positional sense. As he is not receiving the ball in the area where he can cause damage, Kagawa has been made to look tame and not been able to provide any threat with his technical abilities and quick thinking.

Furthermore, with Kagawa’s good movement and ability to find space, he is often left frustrated when he makes a pass to one of his teammate and moved into good position with plenty of space so that his teammate can return the ball to him in a much better position to penetrate the opposition’s defence but most of the time, his teammate will turn to another direction to find the players out wide.

When Kagawa does receive the ball, the other players are static with no one making any moves or running to provide options for Kagawa to pick them up. One of the best qualities from Kagawa is his ability to spot the movement of his teammates and pick them out with his passes. 9 out of 10 times, he is able to thread passes to his moving teammates even in tight spaces or when there are opposition players around him. Due to limited options, he can only make simple sideway or forward passes.

One of the classic examples is when Kagawa, moving back to his own half to receive the ball with a opposition player tracking him, none of United’s players around him makes the required run behind him so that he can make a layoff to release them to go forward using his good first touch. Sometimes, in the same situation, he returns the pass and sprints into the spaces in behind the marking player but the ball never reaches him in order for him to bring the ball forward.

Kagawa himself has summed it up the best:

“We seem to pass the ball sideways a lot but I want team-mates to start giving me the ball from all areas and angles. I need to speak to them about this, because I want them to have the trust in me to play the ball forward”.

This is the reason why, Kagawa looks like a mediocre player when playing for United. If you watch him playing for Dortmund, he was the centre of the attacking play with Dortmund’s players running into space, having good movement and always making themselves available for combination play allowing Kagawa able to make full use of his playmaking abilities.

If Moyes is able to integrate Kagawa into the side and utilise his qualities, United can play with more fluidity and dynamism especially with the players like Januzaj, Nani, Van Persie, Welbeck and Hernandez. At times, United looked clueless in the attacking phase but Kagawa can bring in the extra dimension to change the dynamic of United’s play. The signs are looking good with Januzaj and Nani in the side during the 2-1 win against Sunderland, with both players playing with more flexibility and movement.

United have a real gem on their hands and need to start recognising what he can bring to the team and start use him in a right way. It is like we have a gun in hand and instead using it to bludgeon. As Jurgen Klopp said:

“Shinji Kagawa is one of the best players in the world and he now plays 20 minutes at Manchester United – on the left wing!”.

It is not sufficient just to play him in the right position, but how to use him to bring the best out of him for the benefit of the team.

http://www.prideofalleurope.com/2013/10/the-underlying-problem-with-shinji-kagawa/

GorillaJu

United buying Shinji is like when you decide you're going to re-do your living room in atomic-era abstract furniture, so you buy a beautiful Noguchi glass coffee table. Then you realize, oh I actually liked my old room as it was, but I have this beautiful Noguch table, I might as well leave it here, even though it looks completely out of place.

Blablurn

United buying Shinji is like when you decide you're going to re-do your living room in atomic-era abstract furniture, so you buy a beautiful Noguchi glass coffee table. Then you realize, oh I actually liked my old room as it was, but I have this beautiful Noguch table, I might as well leave it here, even though it looks completely out of place.

and then you decid it to re-sell it to an odd buyer somewhere in this german city called dortmund

SRS3QsZ.png

The second place won't lead to play offs now because of the points for anyone I think. Denmark are out for sure at least

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If Richards is unavailable, England should try and call up Kelly. Both of them are much better than Smalling or Jones at rightback imo

There's zero chance for Kelly, he's not getting minutes for Liverpool and he's coming back from a bad injury. We all know he's going to pick Jones.

There's zero chance for Kelly, he's not getting minutes for Liverpool and he's coming back from a bad injury. We all know he's going to pick Jones.

I think Rodgers would perhaps be quite happy for Kelly to get minutes for England. He needs them somewhere, and even if he's not matchfit he's a better option than Jones for me. Obviously the option will never even enter Hodgson's head since for all intents and purposes, he might as well still be injured :(

I think Rodgers would perhaps be quite happy for Kelly to get minutes for England. He needs them somewhere, and even if he's not matchfit he's a better option than Jones for me. Obviously the option will never even enter Hodgson's head since for all intents and purposes, he might as well still be injured :(
He's not getting minutes for Liverpool but he should get minutes for the national team?

He's not getting minutes for Liverpool but he should get minutes for the national team?

For one game, as England's fourth best rightback when the alternatives are centrebacks who get nosebleeds when they cross the halfway line, sure.

If not Kelly or Richards, someone else. Anyone who actually plays like a modern fullback when they're played there.

Manager

But Martin Kelly played 4 PL matches last year and 12 each the two years before that? And he should be ahead of everyone else?

and then you decide it to sell it to the German who sold it to you in the first place because he keeps harassing you everyday, outside in the front lawn, at the way you decided to make it stand out awkwardly

But Martin Kelly played 4 PL matches last year and 12 each the two years before that? And he should be ahead of everyone else?

No, he should be behind Johnson, Walker and Richards, and ahead of Jones and Smalling imo.

In fact, thinking about it, Clyne should be called up and played ala Townsend yesterday. Unless he's with the U21s or something.

The second place won't lead to play offs now because of the points for anyone I think. Denmark are out for sure at least
Oh shit, you're almost right. Denmark isn't completely out yet. Could finish ahead of the runner up from group D, but it's quite unlikely. If Armenia finish 2nd in your group though then they would guaranteed not be the worst runner up. Too bad they have the hardest task to come second. What a weird group.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
http://www.marca.com/2013/10/12/en/football/real_madrid/1381531205.html

Gareth Bale has a slipped disc on the L5 -S1 vertebrae and a bulge on the L4 -L5. This amounts to a significant injury which, at least for the moment, isn't giving him trouble and won't prevent him from playing for the foreseeable future. However, further down the line it may force him off the pitch and, depending on how things progress, may even require surgery.

Real Madrid medical staff diagnosed the injury on 2nd September, the day of his official presentation at the club. The MRI scan left no room for doubt: a slipped disc on the L5 -S1 vertebrae and a bulge, which is the beginnings of another, on L4 -L5. An injury that set alarm bells ringing at the Sanitas clinic in La Moraleja, just outside Madrid, and from where Florentino Pérez was informed of the injury hiding in the former Tottenham player's spine.

Bale said he hadn't noticed any pain at all and claimed he had never had problems in that area before.

There was no going back on the signing. The deal was done and Florentino Pérez, who was now up to speed on Bale's secret, did not object. The € 91million deal was going to go ahead as planned and neither hell nor high water would prevent Bale from running onto the pitch at the Bernabeú in a Nº 11 shirt, in front of a 40,000 strong crowd.

Since he was in no pain, the club chose not to dwell on it. But those who saw that MRI scan know all too well that they may face a very serious problem with the Welsh player at any moment..

Damn...

That is an issue for Madrid and is incredibly reckless given the amount of money paid both to Tottenham and to the player himself. It's almost beyond comprehension that they would go through with the deal knowing that, at that money anyway.

No wonder Levy wanted all the money at once :p

GorillaJu

He's also played for the U21s, and quite successfully at that. It's not as if he's a complete unknown to the England set up.

Judging based on criteria that you've mentioned - experience, form in the PL he's obviously not first choice. But England are on 4th string players at the moment at right back so you have to look outside the box a little.

I agree with Hitcher that Clyne should be ahead of him, though.

anthonyOA

Based-Levy really did it this time. Maybe Madrid will learn a valuable lesson? (nah)

Apart from Isco this summer has been a nightmare purchase-wise for them.

sohois

He's also played for the U21s, and quite successfully at that. It's not as if he's a complete unknown to the England set up.

Judging based on criteria that you've mentioned - experience, form in the PL he's obviously not first choice. But England are on 4th string players at the moment at right back so you have to look outside the box a little.

I agree with Hitcher that Clyne should be ahead of him, though.

Kelly isn't even being picked for Liverpool yet, there is no way he is fit enough. I expect if England did try to call him up then Liverpool would just say that he is injured, they don't want the England setup destroying all the progress they've made in getting him back to fitness.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

HAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHA

If Madrid wanted to sign him in peak condition they shouldn't have poisoned his mind and told him to refuse to train. The lack of pre-season can ruin an entire season, Bale needs to maintain a high fitness, when he misses 2-3 months he gets a lot of niggles and has done in the past, it takes him a long time to get to 100%. I feel for Bale but he brought this on himself. He became a cunt to force his move and this is his punishment, he's had back injuries like this before. His Real career won't truly start till next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom