• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizz

Just saw the game-winning Mexico goal.... pretty nice.

Wish they lost so they had to playoff their way in to the Cup.

USA! USA! USA!

Scum

You can just see Hodgson's thought process "This Townsend lad has done really well in one game, I just have to call up some other young winger to confirm my genius".

Either that or he has decided that Stirling is the best option to replace Kyle Walker at RB

Funny you say this, but it's probably true. :-/

Tc91

Lamb is bomb.

Haven't tried lamb, just had the standard pork and my mum got some smoked mackerel which is amazing.

--

AceVenturaYesSatan.gif

That's Hector Salamanca from Breaking Bad. Mind blown.

Lunchbox

Banned
selling my team in ultimate team and making a la liga side from scratch. had 6 fucking liverpool cunts with walcott and cleverly in my PL side. buncha fucking no skill no ball control overpriced pace monkeys.

last year i cruised to division 1 with brazilians, now im stuck on div 4. why i chose the premier league this year is beyond me

GorillaJu

Sterling has been in the England set-up a few times before. Are we all so sure that he's going to start/play? He might just be getting called up to train with the team and get used to his national teammates.

Walshy

Sterling has been in the England set-up a few times before. Are we all so sure that he's going to start/play? He might just be getting called up to train with the team and get used to his national teammates.
But he hasn't shown anything this year to warrant a call up, surely you can't call players up just to phase him in?

GorillaJu

But he hasn't shown anything this year to warrant a call up, surely you can't call players up just to phase him in?

Why wouldn't you, when they're clearly talented? It's not as if he just had his debut. The FA has been aware of him for awhile, he's one of the most highly rated young English players. If they see him as an integral part of the future team, then I see no reason not to include him in the training and traveling.

Strax

So Iceland vs Portugal/Greece/Sweden/Croatia unless something strange happens in the last game.

Please please please be Greece

Walshy

Why wouldn't you, when they're clearly talented? It's not as if he just had his debut. The FA has been aware of him for awhile, he's one of the most highly rated young English players. If they see him as an integral part of the future team, then I see no reason not to include him in the training and traveling.
Because joining up a national team such as England should be based on merit rather than talent. Townsend deserved his start because he has been a standout player for Spurs this season.

And when you don't have a right back for a game that makes or breaks your qualification campaign, the strangest thing to do would be to call up a left winger and not a right back.

Walshy

So Wales called up a sixteen year old called Harry Wilson. Wilson plays for Liverpool and has only featured for the U21s once, an twenty minutes substitute appearance. Wales have called him up to the national squad, just to get him to stay with Wales rather than go to England and he was on the bench against Macedonia yesterday.

Insanity from the Welsh FA and Chris Coleman.

Because joining up a national team such as England should be based on merit rather than talent. Townsend deserved his start because he has been a standout player for Spurs this season.

And when you don't have a right back for a game that makes or breaks your qualification campaign, the strangest thing to do would be to call up a left winger and not a right back.

Yep

Sterling has not had a good start to the season, and is still struggling badly with the differen in opposition defending between reserve and first team level. Meanwhile, Henderson has had a solid if unspectacular start, and covers the position of the player that's actually necessitated Sterling's callup.

On merit, I'd have Redmond above Sterling at this particular moment, if Roy insists on calling up a spare winger.

Ah well, decent experience for Raheem, though he'd probably learn more with a few close training sessions at Liverpool in the absence of the international players than he will with the England setup

People on RAWK seem pretty pissed off with Coleman clearly using Wilson as a kind of political pawn to try and fool the Welsh FA into thinking that he's making strides for the future of Welsh football, when he is in fact merely trying to save his job. I'm not too bothered as long as he doesn't start, and our own staff keep his feet on the ground.

LTWheels

As said Henderson should have been called up before Sterling. In all fairness, Henderson should have been called up on merit before Cleverley. Sterling was good in pre-season, but since then been quite poor, Whilst Henderson has been solid, even with a few motm worthy performances. Sterling really gets picked on the fact that he is a young englishman who excitingly 'burst onto the scene last year'.

Tom Ince. Hate repeating myself, but no reason he shouldn't get a call up.

Does he function well as a cog in the machine? Whenever I watch Blackpool (not often, admittedly,) he seems to be everything for them, best player, best scorer, best winger, best striker. Their main tactic seems to be 'get the ball to Ince and see what happens' :p

Wonder if Roy wants to see how he can do as bonafide winger before calling him up. Plus, there's the gap between Championship and Premier League which, while perhaps overblown by the England setup in terms of their reluctance to call players up from there, is considerable.

Scum

selling my team in ultimate team and making a la liga side from scratch. had 6 fucking liverpool cunts with walcott and cleverly in my PL side. buncha fucking no skill no ball control overpriced pace monkeys.

last year i cruised to division 1 with brazilians, now im stuck on div 4. why i chose the premier league this year is beyond me

Let that be a lesson to you, Lunch.

There's a fair few youngsters who should be a part of the first team by now. But a winger for a central midfielder is just plain nonsense.

Arnie

Didn't know Lucas was back in the Brazil squad.

NICE ONE LAD

Just bought a tasty plain navy jumper from Zara. Proper winter item.

Clegg

Nowhere in that article does it say Juve could poach Januzaj.

In fact that's just a rehashed piece from earlier on the week. Slow news day.

Walshy

Yep

Sterling has not had a good start to the season, and is still struggling badly with the differen in opposition defending between reserve and first team level. Meanwhile, Henderson has had a solid if unspectacular start, and covers the position of the player that's actually necessitated Sterling's callup.

On merit, I'd have Redmond above Sterling at this particular moment, if Roy insists on calling up a spare winger.

Ah well, decent experience for Raheem, though he'd probably learn more with a few close training sessions at Liverpool in the absence of the international players than he will with the England setup

People on RAWK seem pretty pissed off with Coleman clearly using Wilson as a kind of political pawn to try and fool the Welsh FA into thinking that he's making strides for the future of Welsh football, when he is in fact merely trying to save his job. I'm not too bothered as long as he doesn't start, and our own staff keep his feet on the ground.
I think Sterling has been average but we forget that he's only 18 and been played out of position most of the time he has featured this season. He is either playing on the right wing (his best position is on the left) and played at right wing back. The good thing he's developing defensively, by playing at right wing back, I thought he was decent against Palace. I'd definitely have Redmond over Sterling as well, but there is no point bringing up another winger.

I definitely agree that England and the FA's archaic coaching probably won't be anything of use but who knows a lot of these younger players pick up a lot when they go away with England.

On Harry Wilson, it's absolutely a farce from Coleman. He's a talent but he's 16 and hardly featured in U21's let alone international football. It does seem political and Coleman only got the job due to the circumstances of how his predecessor left and the gloom that surrounded that tragedy.

No way. Unproven at the top level.

As said Henderson should have been called up before Sterling. In all fairness, Henderson should have been called up on merit before Cleverley. Sterling was good in pre-season, but since then been quite poor, Whilst Henderson has been solid, even with a few motm worthy performances. Sterling really gets picked on the fact that he is a young englishman who excitingly 'burst onto the scene last year'.
Definitely. Henderson has been in the top three players for me so far this season with Sturridge and Mignolet. How a 35 year old Lampard still gets in the team is beyond me. Give the likes of Henderson or Cleverley starts.

sohois

Does he function well as a cog in the machine? Whenever I watch Blackpool (not often, admittedly,) he seems to be everything for them, best player, best scorer, best winger, best striker. Their main tactic seems to be 'get the ball to Ince and see what happens' :p

Wonder if Roy wants to see how he can do as bonafide winger before calling him up. Plus, there's the gap between Championship and Premier League which, while perhaps overblown by the England setup in terms of their reluctance to call players up from there, is considerable.
i wonder if roy is even aware that there are teams beyond the current few big premier league teams. though in fairness one could wonder this about mclaren and capello as well

No. Go away.

Like I'd want to be hamstrung dragging you around like a fucking iron ball chained to my ankle

I can kind of see why people hate Origin now, its just a pain in the arse having to use a different service for a few games. I still think its absolutely ridiculous though that people want Steam to have a monopoly, and are resentful of companies wanting to keep the money made from their games rather than giving Valve a slice for the privelege of hosting their games on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom