• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
All they had to do was spend a few Euros to get Ramos and Pepe trepanned, and they'd have been set

It is really foolish from Madrid. When they have to start a saga to buy a player it has always gone poorly, they should have done all their business early but they obviously didn't really decide to pull the trigger until the last two weeks when they told Ozil to leave. This is what they deserve for the way they do things.

dc89

Hope Portugal draws France in the playoffs. Could be epic.

btw Marc Stein a City fan? lol did he start watching football 2 years ago?

Everyone starts sometime. Just like most United fans started in 1993 and the younger ones 1999.

It is really foolish from Madrid. When they have to start a saga to buy a player it has always gone poorly, they should have done all their business early but they obviously didn't really decide to pull the trigger until the last two weeks when they told Ozil to leave. This is what they deserve for the way they do things.

It was quite funny watching Madrid treat the Bale signing like a cat sniffing at a baby, unsure whether to pounce, run away or wait and see. It was like the price kept going up and up, to the point where they obviously should have walked away, but their ego (specifically Perez's) is so remarkably huge, they couldn't bare the thought of missing out on a big target whatever the cost.

They won't be achieving shit as long as Benema is starting for them regardless

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Madrid didn't even need Bale, all they needed was a world-class striker but nope Florentino had to make up for the failure of not getting Neymar and of course he needed to eclipse the summer marquee signing by making a huge one himself. It was personal for Florentino the minute we bought Neymar even if it meant sacrificing one of Madrid best players in Ozil. He doesn't care, dude is shit when it comes to make sound football decisions for the good of the club, remember him selling Makelele and sacking Del Bosque after 2 CL trophies and a league trophy under his belt.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm actually really excited for the games on Tuesday, so much at stake. For example just look at this fight for second place.

SRS3QsZ.png

Lots of interesting games. Turkey vs Netherlands for example. Turkey fighting to qualify for a playoff, Netherlands needing a win to be seeded at the World Cup.

For Denmark to make it they need:
Hungary lose to Andorra (at home)
Turkey to lose by 5+ to Holland (at home)
Romania lose to Estonia (at home)
AND they need to get 2nd place in their group.

For Denmark to make it they need:
Hungary lose to Andorra (at home)
Turkey to lose by 5+ to Holland (at home)
Romania lose to Estonia (at home)
AND they need to get 2nd place in their group.

and Bendtner even got suspended from the last match because he pulled his shirt off after the second goal. :lol

Arnie

Danny Mills in that interview, lol

Saying that there should be only 3 foreign players in academies

Then says that Kevin Davies has used his influence to get his son "who is not particularly good enough" into Bolton's youth setup - not a shade of criticism there.

He fucking is Jez from Peep Show.
I loved that.

Then fucking Sol Campbell popping up claiming an ethnicity bias.

All started by Mills telling Lineker to stop hiding in his Mancheter studio.

Sublime video.

Also, I'm calling bullshit on that Bale story.

3Sixty

No, he should be behind Johnson, Walker and Richards, and ahead of Jones and Smalling imo.

In fact, thinking about it, Clyne should be called up and played ala Townsend yesterday. Unless he's with the U21s or something.

My Nigga.

Clyne is so much better than Walker it is ridiculous.

He won't get called up though.

Kenka

You can't resist the 'yan. Too bad they have to play away to Italy and have to rely on two Spartak players + Henrik to get things done.

I checked the upcoming fixtures and Denmark are playing Malta at home. Yeah, no WC for Armenia sadly. At least Bosnia and Iceland have a decent shot at qualifying.

Also, I am glad for the Motherland too, that is, unless they don't fuck up their last game.

Arnie

That Kagawa article is hilarious. From about six lines down I knew it'd been written by some fucking Salford shithouse, then I scroll down to see 'prideofalleurope.com'. Do one.

i0zmhq.jpg

This Brian Reade column is typically excellent:

There are many questions surrounding the Adnan Januzaj international controversy.

Was Jack Wilshere right in saying it’s wrong to let an adult wave a flag of convenience? Does the lad really want to play for England? And how sad does the country look if, after a brace of Premier League goals they’re desperate to bung him a passport?

But the question I would like to ask Sepp Blatter is how could he be eligible to play for a country he has no connection with, when he is ineligible to play competitive football for his mother’s country, Kosovo?

Put another way, why don’t FIFA recognise Kosova when, since 2008, 82% of EU countries and a majority of UN nations have recognised it as an independent nation?

How come Andorra (population 85,000), Liechtenstein (36,000) and San Marino (32,000) are allowed to waste everyone’s time in FIFA-run competitions pretending they have football teams, when Kosovo with 1.7 million people is barred entry?

Might it have something to do with not wanting to upset big boys like Russia and China who still believe Kosovo is part of Serbia?

Hang on. FIFA worried about big nations turning on them? Surely not.

Saints need to take a bit more care with their boss

Southampton currently sit in the top four on merit.

It’s almost certain that they won’t stay there but that won’t worry the fans, especially if they end the season pushing for a Europa League place.

What should worry them is whether their manager Mauricio Pochettino stays there. Because with Andre Villas Boas, Brendan Rodgers and Roberto Martinez all tied up at big clubs, he is the next Bright Young Thing on the block.

Which threatens to make Saints chairman Nicola Cortese’s brag that he would sack Pochettino in an instant if he felt he was failing to “progress the club” slightly redundant. The next time a job comes up at a club bigger than Southampton, the Argentinian, along with Michael Laudrup, will be the bookies’ favourite to take it. And Cortese’s brain will be “progressing” at 100mph thinking up ways of keeping him.

Every cloud at Cardiff...

If there is any consolation for Malky Mackay now that his Malaysian boss has sacked his chief scout and put in charge of player recruitment his Khazakhstani mate’s 23-year-old son, whose only previous experience in football is painting Cardiff’s stadium’s walls , it is this...

No matter how badly he performs, he can’t possibly waste your transfer funds as badly as Damien Comolli.

Image problems

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is registering his “image rights” in the Channel Island of Guernsey.

Meanwhile my brain’s struggling to register the most gob-smacking aspect of this act.

Is it that the 60-year-old believes he’s got a Beckham-scale brand rife for commercial exploitation?

Is it that he believes he’s going to make so much cash from Grecian 2000 using his head as a “before” shot that he needs to go to a tax haven?

Or is the funniest aspect the thought of former City manager Peter Reid registering his image rights then having to fend off a mass law suit from the Chester Zoo chimp house?

Scots eye the Roo

Bertie Vogts claims that in 2002 he travelled to Everton to confront Wayne Rooney with the revelation that he was eligible to play for Scotland thanks to a Caledonian grandmother.

Some say Vogts is hamming it up by claiming the 16-year-old Rooney panicked then “beat his chest theatrically and said ‘no I am English.’”

But it sounds true to me because back then, whenever Wayne was confronted with revelations about grannies, his instinct was to beat himself up and go into denial.

That Kagawa article is hilarious. From about six lines down I knew it'd been written by some fucking Salford shithouse, then I scroll down to see 'prideofalleurope.com'. Do one.

Doesn't really matter where it's from. It highlights the problem that United aren't suitable for him at the moment.

Korea vs Brazil right now

LTWheels

Woke up in the middle of the night with my left tesicle swollen as fuck and sore as hell to touch. After a few mins everything returned to normal. Think it was torsion of the testis.

Seems to still be fine this morning. Gonna have a victory wank to celebrate.

Scum

Moyesey, ditch your fucking wingers.

If Richards is unavailable, England should try and call up Kelly. Both of them are much better than Smalling or Jones at rightback imo

There's zero chance for Kelly, he's not getting minutes for Liverpool and he's coming back from a bad injury. We all know he's going to pick Jones.

Hitch and Ush, it'll be Jones.
Former England defender Danny Mills at Wembley
England 4-1 Montenegro

"I would probably go for Phil Jones at right-back on Tuesday night. Michael Carrick could also come into midfield as a steadying influence.

"You'd imagine England will stick with a similar team and approach. They must be attacking from the start again."

Danny Mills in that interview, lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24500288

Saying that there should be only 3 foreign players in academies

Then says that Kevin Davies has used his influence to get his son "who is not particularly good enough" into Bolton's youth setup - not a shade of criticism there.

He fucking is Jez from Peep Show.

Dumbass. Then there was Sol Campbell and his ethnicity agenda too. Dickheads.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Julian Draxler says he'd like to play for clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal.

Mastadon

Banned
Woke up in the middle of the night with my left tesicle swollen as fuck and sore as hell to touch. After a few mins everything returned to normal. Think it was torsion of the testis.

Seems to still be fine this morning. Gonna have a victory wank to celebrate.

I'm a doctor, send me a pic of your left testicle and I'll check it's okay.

No charge.

justjohn

That's what is annoying, one brainless foul and yellow card ruined a solid display.
Why cant he just play perfectly like the rest of the england team? His teammates were perfect yesterday and have never made a mistake in their careers before. Bloody walker.

sohois

Or several other players except Sterling.

You can just see Hodgson's thought process "This Townsend lad has done really well in one game, I just have to call up some other young winger to confirm my genius".

Either that or he has decided that Stirling is the best option to replace Kyle Walker at RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom