• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Pardew hinted at his frustration with life at St James' Park.

"Mike is a strong character who has been a success in his whole business life and is a genius in that world - but when you come to football the logic doesn't quite fit," he said.

"He loves football but he sometimes can't understand how it works and it confuses and upsets him, and when he is upset he does things that aren't brilliant for the football club.
FylQiZa.jpg

Nyx

On Saturday I got a letter from FC Utrecht, in which they tell that because I'm a seasonticket holder for 10 consecutive seasons, they want to celebrate this with me on the 1st of November.

Pretty cool actually.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The three dumbest mofos of the week:

Asprilla "if I had worn the jersey of Juventus, Milan or Inter, perhaps I’d have won the Ballon d’Or. With all due respect, if Pavel Nedved won it...”
Zanetti saying his least favourite former managers were Lippi (Juve) and Marco Tardelli (Juve).
Thuram "Best team I've played in? Parma"

On Saturday I got a letter from FC Utrecht, in which they tell that because I'm a seasonticket holder for 10 consecutive seasons, they want to celebrate this with me on the 1st of November.

Pretty cool actually.

They'll give you a pen with the club's symbol on it /ACMilan

FootballFan

The three dumbest mofos of the week:

Asprilla "if I had worn the jersey of Juventus, Milan or Inter, perhaps I’d have won the Ballon d’Or. With all due respect, if Pavel Nedved won it...”

Nedved was excellent, he oozed class. I still have the VHS tape recording of Juventus playing Real Madrid from 2003. Don't remember which stage it was at, but I remember Nedved styling, and that is what is important here.

Barzul

If Lewa is even remotely interested in coming to the EPL, Arsene please go all out for him.I wouldn't be opposed to paying him 200k+ a week as he'd be free. I mean we were paying Henry that much before he left. Llorente on loan in Jan and Lewa in summer,a guy can dream (won't happen though).

Salvadora

If Lewa is even remotely interested in coming to the EPL, Arsene please go all out for him.I wouldn't be opposed to paying him 200k+ a week as he'd be free. I mean we were paying Henry that much before he left. Llorente on loan in Jan and Lewa in summer,a guy can dream (won't happen though).
I would like us to pounce if the stories of Pep not wanting him are indeed true.

We would probably face massive competition Real Madrid and others though. And we probably would have to offer him astronomical wages to get him considering the free transfer.

FootballFan

Pokemon and Andros 'Adnan' Townsend are getting me through this hell. If I'd had to spend 2 weeks thinking about the West Ham result I think I would have to kill myself.

Where did the Spurs pick him up? Lower Division? Their youth system?
His rise to the Lions aka England squad seems meteoric.

Lightning

Banned
Fuck Lewa. He is an uber cunt. Besides there's no chance, Chelsea and Madrid could offer far more than anything we could.

The player I really want is Suarez. Sucks that it's impossible.

Fuck Lewa. He is an uber cunt. Besides there's no chance, Chelsea and Madrid could offer far more than anything we could.

The player I really want is Suarez. Sucks that it's impossible.

Apparently The Mirror are reporting a £50m bid for him in January. Obviously nonsense, we'd want silly money to make up for losing him halfway through the season to a team in the same league, £65m at least.

Ozil+Suarez would be the most entertaining partnership in the world

Lightning

Banned
Apparently The Mirror are reporting a £50m bid for him in January. Obviously nonsense, we'd want silly money to make up for losing him halfway through the season to a team in the same league, £65m at least.

Ozil+Suarez would be the most entertaining partnership in the world
We should send Wilshere to Liverpool in exchange. Wilshere+ £40m for Suarez sounds great to me.

Salvadora

Suarez is a much better player so he gets excused.
Cavani came out the other day saying that Arsenal was never his dream, Real Madrid was.

Which is fair enough, but couple that with Liverpool's unwillingness to sell and Madrids desperate need for a striker and our chances amount to 0.1%

Edit: Send Wilshere to Liverpool?!?!?! +£40m?!?!?! You've lost it mate.

Lightning

Banned
Cavani came out the other day saying that Arsenal was never his dream, Real Madrid was.

Which is fair enough, but couple that with Liverpool's unwillingness to see and Madrids desperate need for a striker and our chances amount to 0.1%

Edit: Send Wilshere to Liverpool?!?!?! +
You have the money, you're just not using it. I still hope Pep comes to his senses and gets Lewandowski.
£40m?!?!?! You've lost it mate.
Why is that lost it? Wilshere 's game time at Arsenal is going to be dependant on injuries or sub appearances. Will we see Wilshere start now Cazorla is back? Walcott pretty much back too. Ramsey the more complete player, Flamini/Arteta in the defensive role. Rosciky help out further up the pitch and is more effective than Wilshere.

Meanwhile we solve our striker problem with the best or 2nd best striker in the league. We'd have one of the best midfields and forward lines and unless we get massively hit with injuries Wilshere won't be that great a loss.

Clegg

Rumour of the day is Johan Cruyff to replace Trapp as Ireland manager.

Total football with O'Shea and Jonny Walters?

Yes pls.

FootballFan

Yes I am serious!!

:O You got a 2DS?! Did you get teh Pokemanz too?

I am waiting for it to arrive. :( What do I do with this beautiful thing until X gets here!?

You guys got a head-start, but Gary Oak also got a head-start against Ash, we all know who won in the end.(I don't actually know)

Salvadora

Why is that lost it? Wilshere 's game time at Arsenal is going to be dependant on injuries or sub appearances. Will we see Wilshere start now Cazorla is back? Walcott pretty much back too. Ramsey the more complete player, Flamini/Arteta in the defensive role. Rosciky help out further up the pitch and is more effective than Wilshere.

Meanwhile we solve our striker problem with the best or 2nd best striker in the league. We'd have one of the best midfields and forward lines and unless we get massively hit with injuries Wilshere won't be that great a loss.

For a couple of reasons:
  • Wilshere is/was incredibly talented.
  • Abandoning Wilshere when he is still recovering from a long-term injury at such a young age would be incredibly bad. We didn't do it to Ramsey, we won't do it to Wilshere
  • Our midfield is aging fast with Cazorla coming 30, Arteta on the wrong side of 30 and Rosicky nearing retirement.
  • Wilshere is an Arsenal youth product - priceless
  • Wilshere is English
  • Valuation is incredibly off
  • Wilshere wouldn't go to Liverpool

Clegg

We've been linked to Chesterfield's £1.5million-rated midfielder Tendayi Darikwa.

Fabregas who?
Afaik Moyes was actually at Chesterfield's game last weekend.

This totally sounds like a United signing btw. Some of the best players in the world representing their country during the week and our manager is scouting a league 2 player.

Afaik Moyes was actually at Chesterfield's game last weekend.

This totally sounds like a United signing btw. Some of the best players in the world representing their country during the week and our manager is scouting a league 2 player.

Tbf I'm of the belief that there's only so much scouting you can do on world class players. It's not like it's not obvious what their qualities are.

Clegg

Tbf I'm of the belief that there's only so much scouting you can do on world class players. It's not like it's not obvious what their qualities are.
Doesn't Moyes usually require 20+ scouting reports before he decides on buying a player? We should be scouting them now so we'll have enough info for Moyes to make a decision in 2016.

Clegg

Well so the myth goes but he's also not the only scout at the club.
I agree with you about there only being so much scouting you can do for world class players. But tbf we haven't always made the most out of our big name signings. Veron was a flop and Kagawa (maybe not world class but close enough) has settled in at all.

Extra scouting could be beneficial to make sure they're a right fit for the side.

Jack cw

But he'd be free. I like free. :/

Not really convinced Pep likes Mandzukic, so might as well "replace" him with Lewa.

He is free but his wage is pretty big. He will join Bayern but I think that has more something to do with Bayerns bosses and getting another Dortmund player to weaken them. I think Pep wants a forward that has the skills of Lewandowski and and the passing ability of David Villa... hard to find.

Clegg

What happened? Can't access twitter at work
He did a piece on the FA freezing out English football fans by offering more tickets in the home section to Polish fans. Did the usual thing of venerating the English supporters "lifeblood of the game" etc etc. Says on twitter that the fans are being overlooked And were blocked from buying tickets for the game.

Turns out that there has been almost no demand from English fans for these tickets. Been on sale for weeks and nobody wanted them. Polish fans snapped up their own allocation and asked for more. Got them because the English fans didn't want their own.

Egg on John Cross' face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom