• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Sorry if dc

TcAoX0J.jpg

Not a single goal from open play since the first week of the season.

But dat Wooney FK

you're dc

all the united fans were saying this earlier you turkey

valeo

So where are all the fuckers who were taking the piss out of Arsenal after the Villa loss on opening day?

I wonder how the 'little boy' inside RvP feels right now, being 8 points behind us.

(tbh I think we will run out of steam soon unless our injury list shortens, but i'm enjoying it while it lasts)

On another note I thought Ozil was pretty bad. He doesn't seem the have the same work ethic as the rest of the team. Winning away to Swansea when Ozil has a pretty average game by his standards isn't too bad, though :)

Scum

Rooney and RVP have to play.

Moyes loves wingers.

Rooney is better on the wing than Shinji imo.

Would rather see Shinji in midfield and influence games.

Do we have to go through this everytime, Killer. Look. One more time. Pay attention.

4-3-1-2

-------------- RvP ----- Rooney/Henandez -----------
------------------- Kagawa --------------------
--- New MC --- Carrick --- Fellaini ---
Evra --- Jones/Evans --- Vidic --- Rafael

4-2-3-1

----------------- RvP/Henandez -----------------
Nani ----------- Kagawa/Rooney -------- Zaha/Adnan
----- Carrick --- New MC/Fellaini ------
Evra ---- Jones/Evans ----- Vidic ----- Rafael

Young to QPR -> £10m - £12m
Valencia to C. Palace/Cardiff -> £8m
Anderson -> Loan/Free

Wilbur

Banned
Same as you, no idea who half those fuckers are.

Would be up for a footy gaf one though. Problem is, where is closest for everyone?

Everyone put a dot on this map and I'll draw a big line showing where the median point is

its likely burnley or something tee hee

I judge your hair through the internet.

quiet you or i'll stop sending shorty dick pics that you pretend to ignore

Maybe United should play to their strengths and not play wingers. And considering their most effective wide men are their full backs, maybe this system:

--------------------De Gea-------------------
-------Ferdinand---Vidic---Evans-------
Rafael-------Carrick-------------------Evra
-------------------------Fellaini---------------
-----------Kagawa-----------Rooney------
---------------------Van Persie--------------

Laugh at me, but I wouldn't want us to play against that side.

Dark Rider

We're in a situation at the moment where Atletico have won 7 out of 7, gone away to their biggest rivals and won for the first time in 15 years, and no one is saying they can win the title. Instead, Madrid have lost it and Barca have won it.

Let me make it clear: I never talked about how competitive LaLiga is (in terms of who wins the trophy at least) all I was arguing about is how much competitive the EPL is ;)

In the Premier League if United lose a match, then we know that there will be an opportunity to reclaim lost points when one of the league's 'smaller' sides takes points off City or Chelsea, and after a loss no one says "well United have lost the league". In La Liga, it went from tongue in cheek 'well Madrid have lost the league, they drew away at Granada' to a reality. They're picking up 95, 100 points every season. It's fucking insanity.

that might look fun for a year or two but if you watch the EPL for 20 years you will realize in the end its still MU winning it 50%-60% of the time and only one or two other teams really were a threat to MU

There's just a better level of competition in the Premier League. It might not mean the league's teams are stronger as a whole - Spain's top three or four sides are certainly better than England's, you might get a few very good mid table sides like Betis or Bilbao that are better than England's, although Swansea > Valencia #yolo - but overall, I think you see more upsets and hard fought wins for the lesser and brighter lights of the PL than you do in La Liga, and that to me makes it a more interesting league for the title race.

better level of competition in the EPL in terms of what?
the only aspect is not having a big gape at the top of the table
who will win it? bet on United and you are a winner 50%-60% of time with 1-2 other teams having a chance

there is a very important point here
you might be happier seeing small gape at the top of the table in the EPL and feeling this is the best indicator of competition (the trophy itself)
there are those who find the quality of football played over all in a league more important and better competition when you face quality with quality
especially if you care only for the trophy in terms of competition and fine in LaLiga you have 2 teams competing (for the trophy) while in the EPL 2 teams or at best 3 teams have a real shot at the trophy
each match is a competition even if it didn't entail winning the trophy (at least to me)

That's why I like Serie A more as well; I feel like Juve, Milan, Napoli, Inter, Fiorentina, Roma and Lazio are all capable of taking points off each other, and they're all capable of dropping far more points than Madrid and Barca do over the course of a season.

well Madrid and Barca over all do play higher quality of football (sorry to the fans of all those teams, I still love you all)

Clegg

So where are all the fuckers who were taking the piss out of Arsenal after the Villa loss on opening day?

I wonder how the 'little boy' inside RvP feels right now, being 8 points behind us.

(tbh I think we will run out of steam soon unless our injury list shortens, but i'm enjoying it while it lasts)
Pretty good since he accomplished the thing he set out to do when he left arsenal.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds? We're 6 games into the new season and you're having a go at RVP even though he already justified his decision to leave.

Wilbur

Banned
We should start off with a footy-gaf podcast first. Less scary that way.

obligatory

image.php

:lol

Yeah I agree. Imagine the thrill for our listeners when they're 22 minutes into the first one and there's already been 145 instances of the word cunt and thirty seconds of uninterrupted masturbation following a viewing of Pulga's mum's wedding album

Arnie

Lots to catch up on, scattershot post incoming:

Prisoners is a phenomenal film. Preferred it to Zodiac, which is really saying something.

About to watch Match of the Day with a Chicken Jalfrezi.

Adnan is better than Gnabry who're both inferior to Suso.

Loving Atletico's win, they're such a good team whereas Real are an expensive amalgamation of dislikable footballing manikins.

La Liga versus Premier League debate is ridiculous. The last time La Liga was won by someone other than the Terrible Two it took a footballing god to achieve it.

Wilbur

Banned
Maybe United should play to their strengths and not play wingers. And considering their most effective wide men are their full backs, maybe this system:

Imagine Moyes playing 3-5-2 looooooool. Bungie I love it. I love it. It's just never going to happen, and it kills me inside.

Prisoners is a phenomenal film. Preferred it to Zodiac, which is really saying something.

Loving Atletico's win, they're such a good team whereas Real are an expensive amalgamation of dislikable footballing manikins.

La Liga versus Premier League debate is ridiculous. The last time La Liga was won by someone other than the Terrible Two it took a footballing god to achieve it.

And Roberto Mancini can win the league here and in Italy. If that's not equality, I don't know what is.

Good stuff on Prisoners. I loved Zodiac too.

Carrick has been disappointing this season. I felt Cleverley outplayed him in the Chelsea game. I thought he was shit in the City game. He wasn't good today.

He usually starts off shit so I'm not worried about him.

de Gea
Rafa Vidic Evans/Smalling Fabio
Carrick Fellaini
Nani Shinji Januzaj
Rppmey

Chicha subbed off for Januzaj
Fellaini subbed on or Anderfat
Rafa, Vidic, Fabio starts

Boom! Rotation in place. Left side is now better defensively without Buttner. Wingers get help from proper fullbacks. Vidic stabalizes the defense now that Rio isn't ruining for everyone. Rio also gets rest as he needs it more than Vidic and also because he's been shit this season. You don't alienate Shinji and put in Januzaj in for Chicha based on merit. Januzaj playing time points for contract extension. If nothing is working you bring in RVP for Shinji or Rppmey depending on form/tactics.

Hire me Woodward

pls

Scum

:O

valeo

Pretty good since he accomplished the thing he set out to do when he left arsenal.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds? We're 6 games into the new season and you're having a go at RVP even though he already justified his decision to leave.

You're assuming logic plays into this. It doesn't. I just want RvP and Manchester United in general to fail.

Wilbur

Banned
Carrick has been disappointing this season. I felt Cleverley outplayed him in the Chelsea game. I thought he was shit in the City game. He wasn't good today.

de Gea
Carrick Fellaini
Nani Shinji Januzaj
Rppmey

Boom! Rotation in place. Left side is now better defensively without Buttner. Wingers get help from proper fullbacks. Vidic stabalizes the defense now that Rio isn't ruining for everyone. Rio also gets rest as he needs it more than Vidic and also because he's been shit this season. You don't alienate Shinji and put in Januzaj in for Chicha based on merit. Januzaj playing time points for contract extension. If nothing is working you bring in RVP for Shinji or Rppmey depending on form/tactics.

Hire me Woodward

pls

Alternatively, bid more than 14 quid and a kinder egg for a midfielder

That's not fair. Suso is a year older. We'll see in 2-3 years.

Linius

Linius

Wat de fuck gebeurde er tussen de 48e en 53e minuut?

We scored goals. A lot of them. Fuck yeah. Hup, hup Ajax!

We really need to do a footy GAF meet up soon! The BritGAF one I just went too was so much fun!

If such a thing is planned way ahead I would seriously consider coming over to the UK. I still need to see London so I could make a trip out of such a thing. But only if I can eat for free at Nando's obviously.

de Gea
Carrick Fellaini
Nani Shinji Januzaj
Rppmey

Hire me Woodward

pls

Something that's worth discussing in more detail imo. He's not been up to speed and he was very poor in our pre-season too.

:lol

Yeah I agree. Imagine the thrill for our listeners when they're 22 minutes into the first one and there's already been 145 instances of the word cunt and thirty seconds of uninterrupted masturbation following a viewing of Pulga's mum's wedding album

and that's the tame bit. In the second segment we bring Andres in...

valeo

Gnabry >>> Adnan. Gnabry can actually defend; Adnan looks more naturally gifted but he's not an all round player yet.

Gnabry played 120 mins v West Brom and backed up with a (imo) MoM performance against a very good side away from home. All class.

Wilbur

Banned
Adnan was rubbish when he came on, gave the ball away three or four times in quick succession. Nerves, tho. I don't blame him, I blame MOYER

If such a thing is planned way ahead I would seriously consider coming over to the UK. I still need to see London so I could make a trip out of such a thing. But only if I can eat for free at Nando's obviously.

go to kip

Something that's worth discussing in more detail imo. He's not been up to speed and he was very poor in our pre-season too.

Yeah he's been pretty poor. Not sure exactly what it is, and its really quite odd because we've changed managers and not changed the way we set up and play. It really speaks dividends for the psychological side of Ferguson's management.

and that's the tame bit. In the second segment we bring Andres in...

If he's even alive :(

Gnabry >>> Adnan. Gnabry can actually defend; Adnan looks more naturally gifted but he's not an all round player yet.

Gnabry played 120 mins v West Brom and backed up with a (imo) MoM performance against a very good side away from home. All class.

You're making Gnabry sound like Milner.

velociraptor

We're in a situation at the moment where Atletico have won 7 out of 7, gone away to their biggest rivals and won for the first time in 15 years, and no one is saying they can win the title. Instead, Madrid have lost it and Barca have won it.

In the Premier League if United lose a match, then we know that there will be an opportunity to reclaim lost points when one of the league's 'smaller' sides takes points off City or Chelsea, and after a loss no one says "well United have lost the league". In La Liga, it went from tongue in cheek 'well Madrid have lost the league, they drew away at Granada' to a reality. They're picking up 95, 100 points every season. It's fucking insanity.
Consider how over the past few years it's been all about Man City and Man Utd vs Barca and Madrid.

Premier League 12-13, Manchester United were 11 points head of the second best team (Man City).
La Liga 12-13, Barcelona were 15 points ahead for Real Madrid.

However, I think this season it's different in the Premier League. While it's true that Barcelona is likely to run away with the title (they're a completely different beast altogether), we have no idea who will end up in the top 4. The league has gotten much more competitive. I feel the quality gap between Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Manchester United has diminished. Can't really say the same with the Spanish teams. Barcelona are simply beyond everyone else.

Clegg

Rio needs to consider calling it a day at the end of the season.
He'll be 35 at the end of the season. I don't think we'll renew his contract in any case. We need to be on the lookout for new defenders.

Hope we do some good business in January.

Oh come on now. Defense has never been a problem of his. He's not like Shinji in this regard.

You guys are so quick to judge youngsters.

K1LLER7

Do we have to go through this everytime, Killer. Look. One more time. Pay attention.

4-3-1-2

-------------- RvP ----- Rooney/Henandez -----------
------------------- Kagawa --------------------
--- New MC --- Carrick --- Fellaini ---
Evra --- Jones/Evans --- Vidic --- Rafael

4-2-3-1

----------------- RvP/Henandez -----------------
Nani ----------- Kagawa/Rooney -------- Zaha/Adnan
----- Carrick --- New MC/Fellaini ------
Evra ---- Jones/Evans ----- Vidic ----- Rafael

Young to QPR -> £10m - £12m
Valencia to C. Palace/Cardiff -> £8m
Anderson -> Loan/Free
Scum pls.

United always play with wingers. Tradition and that stuff innit.

I would prefer the 1st formation but Moyes will stick to the 4231 and we'll continue to get outperformed by teams with better midfielders.

Bale, I wouldn't mind us trying that formation, only if Rio is swapped with Jones/Smalling.

kharma45

More like the end of next week.

As much as I'd like him to do a Neville and call it a day sooner rather than later I feel we'd be left in the lurch at CB. He might as well hang around until we can get someone else in, even as cover behind Vidic, Evans, Jones and Smalling.

Wilbur

Banned
Consider how over the past few years it's been all about Man City and Man Utd vs Barca and Madrid.

Premier League 12-13, Manchester United were 11 points head of the second best team (Man City).
La Liga 12-13, Barcelona were 15 points ahead for Real Madrid.

However, I think this season it's different in the Premier League. While it's true that Barcelona is likely to run away with the title (they're a completely different beast altogether), we have no idea who will end up in the top 4. The league has gotten much more competitive. I feel the quality gap between Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Manchester United has diminished. Can't really say the same with the Spanish teams. Barcelona are simply beyond everyone else.

Hardly all about City and United. Chelsea finished ahead of them three seasons ago, a year before that City were fifth behind Arsenal and Spurs. It's only 2011/12 and 2012/13 where City have actually challenged for the title as opposed to consistent Barca/Madrid duopoly.

Agreed on the second part though. Like I say it's hard to imagine Arsenal and Spurs being favourites for the title, but considering what we've seen of United/City/Chelsea so far? Not out of the question, and that's not to mention Liverpool creeping in for CL contention. Even with a 100% record and a win away at Real, I still think Atletico will finish below those two.

L1NETT

Gnabry did look much better and better physically more adept to the PL than Adnan, who struggled to influence a game against a much inferior side but it would be stupid to pull out a x < y in either case..

Both have large amounts of talent, but there have been loads of players who have had this. Depends on if they can adapt, physicality, have the mentality, the technical ability and if they get game time for both. It's not like either of them are world beaters at this stage or one of them is a stand out player. I would bung Suso, Zaelem (however you spell it) and a few others in with them.

Football------->Nandos------>Pub

---------> Gatecrashers.

Dark Rider

Hardly all about City and United. Chelsea finished ahead of them three seasons ago, a year before that City were fifth behind Arsenal and Spurs. It's only 2011/12 and 2012/13 where City have actually challenged for the title as opposed to consistent Barca/Madrid duopoly.

Agreed on the second part though. Like I say it's hard to imagine Arsenal and Spurs being favourites for the title, but considering what we've seen of United/City/Chelsea so far? Not out of the question, and that's not to mention Liverpool creeping in for CL contention. Even with a 100% record and a win away at Real, I still think Atletico will finish below those two.

awaiting your thoughts about what I said last :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom