• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

valeo

How likely do you think it is that United are out of the running for all the major competitions by January?

I think Moyes will sort it out soon. Problem is, he's inherited a pretty crap squad that only won last season based on RvP and the fact everyone else was shite.

L1NETT

How likely do you think it is that United are out of the running for all the major competitions by January?

Only a fool rules out Manchester United, even if they are being managed by Moyes. United have had poor starts to the season out SAF remember. I know this is especially average, but...

Elchele

if he was anything of a b2b dm, half of our midfield problems would have been fixed.
I really don't understand how he has started. Casemiro has proven in preseason to be miles ahead of Khedira in terms of putting in a dm shift on the field. khedira is a useless punk with zero qualities.

Khedira is a box-to-box midfielder, that's why is so stupid from Loew to play both Schweinsteiger and Khedira at the same time.

I wish Powell had stayed, would rather see him get game time over Cleverly.

I wanted him to go out on loan, but he's being played as a striker. Not sure what to do with him at the moment. Will he ever be good enough to start in midfield for United?He's rarely played in midfield so it's hard to tell.

Linius

By the way, today was a sad day for The Netherlands. One Direction sold out two gigs at the Amsterdam Arena. That's more than 100.000 people :/

kharma45

I am like Ledley King.

My knees suck.

I wanted him to go out on loan, but he's being played as a striker. Not sure what to do with him at the moment. Will he ever be good enough to start in midfield for United?He's rarely played in midfield so it's hard to tell.

The few times he got a game in the first team for us he looked pretty composed for his age, him being fairly well built already helps. He's clearly very talented, I've no doubt he'd be good enough for us. One of the few younger ones I really believe can and will come on well, and could be a squad player already.

Scum

Slug, pls play this

gfR64Lq.png

Then we can sub in Pea, Zaha and Adnan when needed.

image.php

Wilbur

Banned

please shut up

awaiting your thoughts about what I said last :eek:

Ah! I meant to, answers in the quote

Let me make it clear: I never talked about how competitive LaLiga is (in terms of who wins the trophy at least) all I was arguing about is how much competitive the EPL is ;)

let me make it clear rider-chan; we can talk about both baby

that might look fun for a year or two but if you watch the EPL for 20 years you will realize in the end its still MU winning it 50%-60% of the time and only one or two other teams really were a threat to MU

I think the difference is for me, is that you start the season by going "well obviously it'll either be United, Chelsea or City, and Arsenal are ridiculous wildcards". If one of them loses, no one rules them out. The end result might be United winning the trophy more often than not but for 8 months of the season its not a foregone conclusion like it is when Real are what, seven points behind by October?

better level of competition in the EPL in terms of what?
the only aspect is not having a big gape at the top of the table
who will win it? bet on United and you are a winner 50%-60% of time with 1-2 other teams having a chance

see above, similar point

there is a very important point here
you might be happier seeing small gape at the top of the table in the EPL and feeling this is the best indicator of competition (the trophy itself)
there are those who find the quality of football played over all in a league more important and better competition when you face quality with quality
especially if you care only for the trophy in terms of competition and fine in LaLiga you have 2 teams competing (for the trophy) while in the EPL 2 teams or at best 3 teams have a real shot at the trophy
each match is a competition even if it didn't entail winning the trophy (at least to me)

Like I said in my last post, is the overall standard of play of higher quality in La Liga? Probably. Betis, Sevilla, Valencia, Villarreal, Bilbao and Sociedad are all very capable of giving the Premier League's best games. But they're still an absolute age behind Barcelona and Madrid. I prefer the league being closer (i.e. better competition) than having better teams.

It probably helps that I live in England to be honest. Do you live in Spain? Is there different media coverage of all the teams there? We only really hear about Barca/Madrid here. You might be seeing an end of season review and see that a 3-2 win against City was vital to Cardiff staying up, or a 2-1 win for WBA at Old Trafford meant they came very close to European places. But it seems like all other results don't necessarily matter, and its Real's matches and Barcelona's matches that matter.

There's a huge financial discrepancy that isn't of the making of oligarchs but actually of the clubs and the league itself, and that doesn't help things. I just don't find it as interesting a league and there's very little competition in hindering Barca and Madrid winning the title, is probably what I mean more than anything. Are United 50% likely to win the league every season (not counting this years!)? Maybe. But there's far more obstacles to overcome winning the Premier League - tough away games at Stoke, Everton, West Ham, battles against City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool - than there seems to be in winning La Liga. Real and Barca just don't have to 'slip up' against other sides, and then beat each other.

Linius

For realllllll, is there a 360 footy-gaf crew? I finally joined Social Club today.

Still haven't used my blimp download code and I beat the game already...

I saw your friend request on social club. Well we have Messi and Quiche on 360 at least.

Despite a proclamation at age 10 during a game of football that I was Nuno Gomes, I think of myself as a modern-day Ronaldo.

I'm a fat bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom