• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

Swagger and Martins, tell us more about this Carvalho. We need another Sporting United bro added to the collection.

Moyes, get on with the scouting and probe him already. I'm sure his anus is as good looking as Pogba's.
When do you think Januzaj's dad is gonna decide which country he's gonna play for? He's pretty much a first team player now.

Wilbur

Banned
And you've stopped posting gifs of the USNWT eating lunch like an anorak-clad foot sniffer

Wooden, put the fucking icons in the op!

Youall lazy bastards!!!!!!!

iphZxeczp9IQX.png

Stunning posts.

Re: celebrations. One of the most pointless debates in history. Don't give a fuck whether Ronaldo, Berba, Pogbooty celebrate against us. They're scoring for their team, it's fucking weird and arrogant if you don't celebrate "ooh look at me respecting"

Get out

RVP is a saint

Clegg

Imagine getting a huge fuck off "SEGA" tattooed on the side of your head?

I'm struggling to understand the thoughts of certain gaffers.

Carvalho has a €45m release clause. We're not signing him for that price. But if Sporting really are in bad financial trouble then we could make a deal for him.

We are not selling Carvalho that soon. We need the money but we are not that desperate. There was a massive reduction on terms of expenses, especially in wages. The wages that Benfica pays to Cardozo and Garay are higher than the wages of the 11 Sporting players that started the match against Benfica. We are turning things around and Carvalho is a player with lots of potential and with low wages, something around 5-10k € a month, so we are not gaining much by selling him quickly.

When do you think Januzaj's dad is gonna decide which country he's gonna play for? He's pretty much a first team player now.

That man is crazy. I think he'll decide after January. If not, 2 years from now. It depends if he wants Januzaj to make the World Cup this time around. I hope he stalls so Januzaj can eventually decide on his own as he seems whipped by him at the moment.

Wilbur

Banned
Was such a typical Arsenal against us performance; pointless tippy tappy, let them have the ball in wide areas, slow possession play that amounts in nothing. Only difference is Sagna put in crosses so good they'd blind a fucking vampire

Is it poor form in football to celebrate a goal against your former team?

I really don't know.

It's perceived as such but I don't see any problem with it.

Where is bud I miss him

Clegg

Was such a typical Arsenal against us performance; pointless tippy tappy, let them have the ball in wide areas, slow possession play that amounts in nothing. Only difference is Sagna put in crosses so good they'd blind a fucking vampire

It's perceived as such but I don't see any problem with it.

Where is bud I miss him
Did you miss his sign off post right after the game? He couldn't take Moyes spaffing over his face so he bunked off.

Bud is dead

Salazar

Why though?

Because RVP is supposed to owe Wenger something for serenely letting the squad rot around him.

Oh, and for "keeping the faith" while Robin was injured. Lol. Robin is demonstrably fucking elite. Wenger would have tried to replace him with a gremlin like Chamakh. No way to spin that into any substantive moral credit for Arsene.

Arnie

Which one are you on? I'm watching 06 atm
Six, I think.
Man, I might have to get back into it. Shit.
First season was good, second was tedious, but this third is getting quite brilliant.

The episode I just watched was probably my favourite of the entire show, outside of finales obviously.
=DDDDDDD

It's great. What episode are you on?

5 and 6 were excellent. Won't sleep today until I watch 07.
Think it was six. Just aired in the UK tonight.

They tried to bring in the intelligence officer but he went and killed his ex-wife.

Wilbur

Banned
Did you miss his sign off post right after the game? He couldn't take Moyes spaffing over his face so he bunked off.

Bud is dead

I thought he was frontin'

He's probably crying into that virginal labia he was talking about right now. Let's give him time. He'll understand eventually.

Why though?

Because people are fucking mangoes.

Guess it's seen as disrespectful to a club that has given you so much, but I always think it comes across as so fake. The amount of people that say goal scoring is better than sex and then are able to hold it in during a quarter final or a crucial league match... nah. RVP did nothing wrong.

Wilbur

Banned
Mail just done wrote an article actually. Quite nice it's a banned website because that means we can't give them hits. I'm just delighted we beat that menagerie of midgets. The Scouring of the Shire.

When Robin van Persie gave Manchester United the lead in the 27th minute against Arsenal he turned and celebrated like he had played for them his entire career.

The reality is it was only August 2012 when he joined United, for £24million.

It was Arsenal he left, having worked under Arsene Wenger since his 2004 arrival.

Refreshingly, his celebration represented one of the few instances in recent years in which a player has been prepared to show his passion for his current employers against a former team.

Cristiano Ronaldo, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Adam Johnson and Curtis Davies are just a handful of those who did the opposite.

In the instances of Ronaldo and Hasselbaink, who did much over several years for United and Chelsea respectively, it was perhaps understandable.

For the others, however, that simply wasn't the case and represents one of the most frustrating habits of the modern footballer.

Van Persie was outstanding for Arsenal, as he now is for United. His decision to celebrate also represents a change from last season, when he refused to do so during April's 1-1 draw at the Emirates or last November's 2-1 win at Old Trafford.

'I played there eight years and had a fantastic time there,' the striker said at the time of his refusal to celebrate. 'I have respect for the fans, the players, the manager and the whole club.'

It's right that this time he showed all of his passion.

Wilbur

Banned
They enter the international break now in fifth place, but just three points off Liverpool in second. As important was the need to lay down a marker in the league against major opposition. United fizzled out to a draw against Chelsea and lost heavily against Manchester City, but Arsenal are the Premier League pace setters and United are the first team to stop them scoring since April 16 against Everton. Moyes was the manager that day, too. Since a defeat against Blackburn Rovers on February 16, he is the only manager to have kept Arsenal out, in any competition.

#moyeezus #moyssiah #moyses #moybraham #moythuselah

Arnie

I think the celebration thing depends on the relationship between the club and the player.

When Torres just moved to Chelsea, had he not been a trotting corpse, I'd have been disgusted with him celebrating a goal against us. It was his first game for Chelsea, too. Given the support we'd given him and how he was idolised it wouldn't have been right for him to celebrate.

When Glen Johnson scores against Chelsea, though, that's a different matter. He was never a cult hero there, he was never given exceptional support. He was just a player who passed through a club. He should celebrate to fuck whenever he dongs one beyond Cech.

Wilbur

Banned
Arnie, thoughts on RVP celebrating? Or Ronnie against us?

I wouldn't have minded. He's still so loveable. I wish you could see his shaft more in those underwear ads.

Wilbur

Banned
That was the least he could do considering he played like the husk of a plumber for the last year of his Liverpool career

Shut up Bayern EGG

Can't wait to see Lewa score an own goal next year and take his shirt off to reveal a picture of Ibra's autobiography

Slizz

Heat of the moment, trying to fight back up the table and scored a crucial goal. Lets fault him for his exuberance.

Also,

tumblr_mw2j5uee9W1r7e0ono1_500.gif

jtb

Banned
it's more disrespectful if you don't celebrate than if you do, imo. not celebrating is some sanctimonious, holier than thou bullshit. fucking celebrate! it's what you're paid to do.

arkon

Of all the talking points to be dicussing. It's a moo point really.

Sometimes home fans applaud former players they still respect when they return with another team. Some players in turn decide not to celebrate when they score against a former team. It's their way of returning that show of respect. I'm not going to lambast a player for choosing not to celebrate.

The whole thing should be fucked off. All celebrations except the Sturridge-esque dances should be banned.

Wilbur

Banned
it's more disrespectful if you don't celebrate than if you do, imo. not celebrating is some sanctimonious, holier than thou bullshit. fucking celebrate! it's what you're paid to do.

Innit. Knew Jonathan TuBerculosis would have my back.

Wot did u fink of Gravity by the way? Gonna go see it again Thursday maybe

Elchele

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9019213/?

pepepepep

While I was in Barcelona and in New York, I did not see much of Dortmund, but now I've seen them play a lot and they are a side who can dominate games," he said.

"They have incredible strikers, but also a good organisation. We've got a bit of time now to analyse them.

"We've got a big, big game ahead of us and this will be a big test for us. I just hope the players all come back from international duty fit."

"It's always great for a coach to be in charge of teams like Barcelona or Bayern because teams of their quality allow you to set many, many records," Guardiola said at a press conference in Munich.

"I had great successes with my clubs because I had incredible players, and that's the same here at Bayern.

"If I coached another team which did not have this organisation, then you could forget it.

"This was not an easy record, though. 37 games without defeat? My word! Congratulations to the club for this incredible record.

"Every game is a lesson for me in understanding my team better."

:lol I'm pretty sure all he did in NY was to watch Bayern highlights in youtube at best.

Arnie

I wouldn't have minded. He's still so loveable. I wish you could see his shaft more in those underwear ads.
Can't really say, because I'm not in tune with how Percy was received by Arsenal supporters before this match. If it's been an acrimonious relationship to the point of tainting what once existed then I suppose Percy is fine to celebrate. But I kind of thought Van Persie leaving had almost been accepted by Arsenal fans, who appreciated him winning a league title and cursed their ownership for letting his contract expire.

And Arsenal have been doing well without him, so I don't know why true hatred would exist. They've got Giroud who stacks up favourably. And it could be argued he even offers more to Arsenal as a team.

It felt a bit unnecessary, to be honest. To me there was still a mutual respect there, rather than a cavelcade of bitter phlegm. And Percy just took a huge Dutch turd on it. Again, it was wholly unnecessary in my opinion.

Saying that I fucking hate it when two teams shake each others hands and tickle each others rectums in the pre-match lineup. You're about to rip two shades of shit out of each other so don't go playing Sylvanian Families.

Ronnie not celebrating is the right thing to do. He was a legend there and the mutual respect was very much still intact. Everyone accepts that Real is a step up from United. He owed so much to the latter for helping him achieve it.
Torres never did celebrate against Liverpool.

#Respect
When he hit the crossbar during that game where we killed you i momentarily travelled to a very dark place.

There were tears.

I think a lot of us at the time of the game said he should be allowed to celebrate. I stand by that.

jtb

Banned
Innit. Knew Jonathan TuBerculosis would have my back.

Wot did u fink of Gravity by the way? Gonna go see it again Thursday maybe

Thought it was fantastic. a lot of people have complaints about the "story," but I didn't have any problems with it. well worth the ridiculous sum of money I paid to see it in IMAX.

Wilbur

Banned
" I kind of thought Van Persie leaving had almost been accepted by Arsenal fans, who appreciated him winning a league title and cursed their ownership for letting his contract expire."

no

Think everyone but jtb and lightning almost prolapsed when he celebrated lol

I think a lot of us at the time of the game said he should be allowed to celebrate. I stand by that.

I'm sure I did too. Might be wrong. If I am I'm a fucking ape.

Arnie

Eh.

I've seen enough to suggest that it's not a sore point anymore. Mostly because Arsenal have done so fucking well without him. I don't give a shit about Torres because I've upgraded. Not saying Giroud is an upgrade on RVP individually but on a weekly basis you aren't cursing the latter's absence.

And so let it be. I still think he owes the Arsenal fans the courtesy of not rubbing their face in it. They paid his living for a good portion of his life, they worshipped him daily, even when he was going through some murky fitness issues. The least he can do is not slide around looking smug before taking it backwards from an incoming Japanese thumb.

Wilbur

Banned
Thought it was fantastic. a lot of people have complaints about the "story," but I didn't have any problems with it. well worth the ridiculous sum of money I paid to see it in IMAX.

Good boy! Yeah no problems either. So fucking impressed with it.

My dad went to see it today, absolutely loved it. My dad doesn't like many things - talking, walking, humans - but he loves a good film. Was nice watching him light up talking about it.

Elchele

Eh.

I've seen enough to suggest that it's not a sore point anymore. Mostly because Arsenal have done so fucking well without him. I don't give a shit about Torres because I've upgraded. Not saying Giroud is an upgrade on RVP individually but on a weekly basis you aren't cursing the latter's absence.

And so let it be. I still think he owes the Arsenal fans the courtesy of not rubbing their face in it. They paid his living for a good portion of his life, they worshipped him daily, even when he was going through some murky fitness issues. The least he can do is not slide around looking smug before taking it backwards from an incoming Japanese thumb.

he was their captain. he's a massive cunt.

it would be ok if the club had sold him, or forced him out. Like Lucio (Bayern) for example

Yen

Two women walk into a bar and discuss the Bechdel Test. *rimshot* Try the fish!
I think the celebration thing depends on the relationship between the club and the player.

When Torres just moved to Chelsea, had he not been a trotting corpse, I'd have been disgusted with him celebrating a goal against us. It was his first game for Chelsea, too. Given the support we'd given him and how he was idolised it wouldn't have been right for him to celebrate.

When Glen Johnson scores against Chelsea, though, that's a different matter. He was never a cult hero there, he was never given exceptional support. He was just a player who passed through a club. He should celebrate to fuck whenever he dongs one beyond Cech.
Didn't flicker a smile when he scored a thunderbastard against West Ham.

Top Bottom