• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

GorillaJu

Morsel if you can download the XFM podcasts, do that. There's much better stuff on there than the podcasts. The way you can slowly hear Ricky and Steve falling in love with Karl is incredible

Seem them on YouTube in the recommended videos. I'll give it a listen.

kaiser-470.jpg

Look at him. Look at him!!!!

Hitcher why do you have a Messi avatar?

Because I'm bored of the Ronaldo love-in and Messi-trolling on here

In the future we're going to look back at times like these and pity ourselves that automatic audio interpreter technology hadn't been invented on YouTube yet.

I'm catching up and am fully addicted to the Ricky Gervais show podcast (the one on the Guardian which became the animated HBO show). I love it so much.

As Wilbz said, absolutely listen to the XFM shows if you can find them (which should be easy) They're far, far better and higher energy than the podcasts

@Odd, and others who haven't listened to the Karl Pilkington stuff, don't read this!
Having listened to every single episode of the radio show and podcasts probably 8+ times, I can't help but believe that Karl Pilkington is basically an actor. I think most of the things he says have a basis in reality, but are massively exaggerated.

GorillaJu

As Wilbz said, absolutely listen to the XFM shows if you can find them (which should be easy) They're far, far better and higher energy than the podcasts

@Odd, and others who haven't listened to the Karl Pilkington stuff, don't read this!
Having listened to every single episode of the radio show and podcasts probably 8+ times, I can't help but believe that Karl Pilkington is basically an actor. I think most of the things he says have a basis in reality, but are massively exaggerated.

I've only listened to one season of the pod but I came to the same conclusion. That's what I like about him. I think he's playing a caricature of himself but the zany things he thinks up are still hilarious and often have a nugget of truth to them. I don't think he could legitimately be called an idiot week in week out and want to continue. He's okay with it because it's his character being criticised, not him.

I agree with some of the crazies in Gaf OT who prefer some British spellings over American ones. A lot of elements of style I prefer the British variant, such as not putting flourishes and accents on the first letter of a proper noun even if it's foreign, not putting a period after Mr and Mrs, and opting for 's' over 'z' in words like criticise or emphasise. I never put in the vestigial 'u' however, in color, favorite or armor.

Brits also have the pronunciation right for 'visage' with the long 'a' and softer 'g'. I don't know why we say it like 'vissage' here.

Meier

Does anyone in this thread use VPN's and want to play Football Manager? Bacon bought a key for me from a Brazilian site that was supposed to be universal but ended up ultimately being Brazil only. It cost me like $28 but I'd sell it for less if needed.. just trying to get some of my money back so I can then buy the US version. :(

Fry? I'll give ya good deal even!

FootballFan

Genuinely curious if you guys agree.

Does Pulga post more about Messi(not Barca, Messi) than about Juventus? I am almost certain that if you went through his post history here that would be the case, I just cbf checking lol.

Get over it plug, he shits on all your former, current and future players of your club*.

*Real Madrid.

sohois

Does anyone in this thread use VPN's and want to play Football Manager? Bacon bought a key for me from a Brazilian site that was supposed to be universal but ended up ultimately being Brazil only. It cost me like $28 but I'd sell it for less if needed.. just trying to get some of my money back so I can then buy the US version. :(

Do you have to be signed in or internet enabled whenever you play it, or can you just download it once from a Brazilian IP and then just play offline, do you know?

GorillaJu

I hate the Messi v Ronaldo debate and the worst part of it is that it's like some pop star A v pop star B thing where it's more about personality and arbitrary details than it is about footballing ability.

They're both exceptional players who are in their own tier of quality, but Messi is the better of the two. What matters isn't the player it's the team, so I don't get why Real fans are so insistent on the argument. You can still be the best team in the world (Liverpool) or the best team in the league (Bayern) without necessarily having the best player (though in Liverpool's case having the best player in the PL in every position is helping).

FootballFan

I hate the Messi v Ronaldo debate and the worst part of it is that it's like some pop star A v pop star B thing where it's more about personality and arbitrary details than it is about footballing ability.

They're both exceptional players who are in their own tier of quality, but Messi is the better of the two. What matters isn't the player it's the team, so I don't get why Real fans are so insistent on the argument. You can still be the best team in the world (Liverpool) or the best team in the league (Bayern) without necessarily having the best player (though in Liverpool's case having the best player in the PL in every position is helping).

Good post. I agree. It's boring and I don't even bother replying to it anymore lol.

Neymar is better than both of them anyway.

Just noticed that Germany are not going to wear black shorts with their home kit. I thought something was strange with the kit, but finally noticed it. What the hell Adidas?

Just noticed that Germany are not going to wear black shorts with their home kit. I thought something was strange with the kit, but finally noticed it. What the hell Adidas?

I'm actually really looking forward to that game. Will be probably the best indicator of how Hodgson will have the team performing at the World Cup. If we get twatted 4-0 again, or perform like we did against Italy at the Euros, I'll be worried. I'd take a 2-0 defeat as long as we look reasonably solid aside from a few instances including the goals, and actually look to score. The Italy performance was embarassing, from both a technical and mentality perspective.

I just want progress :)

Got a feeling Killzone will get a lot of very middling review scores for some reason.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Fry, was it this one?

or perhaps this?

-
Pepe Reina “I have some things that I must respect before every game, otherwise I can’t stay calm and concentrated. At Liverpool I’d go to the same petrol station before the match. Now I drink a glass of wine the night before I play. You must think me crazy, but I believe in it!”

LiverpoolGAF were right, he IS a nutter.

Carbonox

Oh shit just saw that Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is also free on PS+. Anyone know what it's like? Looked really interesting from the stuff I've seen on this.

GorillaJu

Oh shit just saw that Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is also free on PS+. Anyone know what it's like? Looked really interesting from the stuff I've seen on this.

Well, I admit I have quirky taste in games at times, but Dragon's Dogma (+ Dark Arisen) is my favorite video game in years. Maybe the best game of the generation.

How does this expansion thing work then - is it the whole game plus extra stuff so I don't need the original one?

The thing on PS+ is essentially Dragon's Dogma: GOTY Edition. Full game and expansion. Not sure if the expansion is accessed from a menu, or if its integrated into the main game and can only be accessed at certain points in the story. If the former, I'll just go through it with my old character I used to finish the main game

Carbonox

Random - if not stupid - question:

After subscribing to PS+ which I just did (dem offers omg), can I remove my card details from my account or does that need to remain? Or can I re-add it around the time of renewal so the subscription can renew?

Might be a strange thing to ask. :lol

The thing on PS+ is essentially Dragon's Dogma: GOTY Edition. Full game and expansion. Not sure if the expansion is accessed from a menu, or if its integrated into the main game and can only be accessed at certain points in the story. If the former, I'll just go through it with my old character I used to finish the main game

Wow that's awesome. Definitely downloading that after I download the Jak & Daxter HD Collection.

Can't believe it's taken me this long to get in to PS+. Better late than never I guess, though it's compulsory if I wanna play my PS4 online.

"Chelsea still pay Di Matteo £130,000 per week"

Sound investment.

Funny thing about Di Matteo was he had the opportunity to milk Chelsea for more money when he was due a payout after injury ended his career. The club was in a real bad state financially at the time and would have struggled to afford what he was owed so instead of taking money he asked for shares in the club. At the time it was a risk but it worked out very well in his favour when Abramovich took over.

I don't begrudge him milking Abramovich especially considering what he achieved in his short time as manager and how good a player he was

Random - if not stupid - question:

After subscribing to PS+ which I just did (dem offers omg), can I remove my card details from my account or does that need to remain? Or can I re-add it around the time of renewal so the subscription can renew?

Might be a strange thing to ask. :lol

Just go to Account Management, Card Details, and then (I think) Delete Card. By the time your sub runs out, there should be Paypal support on EU PSN. Or you can just buy PSN cards (sometimes on offer) and redeem the codes, putting money into the PSN account to pay for PS+ :)

Remember to add things to your Download list even if you don;t actually download them, that way you can download them even after they're not free any more

From nuveem? Worked for me without vpns or anything. :/

A vital cog in the middle of United's creaking midfield machina.
Your clank will suffer without him.

They clanked their way to a victory over the league leaders who had huge momentum

You clanked your way to a loss against a team in the bottom 2, and couldn't even score

We danced our way to a battering against the most languid team in the league

Know your place.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
A vital cog in the middle of United's creaking midfield machina.
Your clank will suffer without him.

Nah, Carrick plays more defensively under Moyes, right?

------------RVP---------
Kagawa--Rooney--Valencia
------Phil-----Fell------- (PhilaFell?)

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) has made the most accurate crosses from corners in the Premier League this season, with 16.

dc89

They clanked their way to a victory over the league leaders who had huge momentum

You clanked your way to a loss against a team in the bottom 2, and couldn't even score

We danced our way to a battering against the most languid team in the league

Know your place.

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
:(

Top Bottom