• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

Crytek and Guerrilla make great gifs, not great games.

True.

Although Crytek games look good not just in 400x300 gifs.

edit: Just finished Brothers

brothers2013-11-1516-63sha.png

Meier

Is it like the 3DS where we have to independently do it or will I get a notification? Are you Scum on there as well? Played Pikmin 3 for about 90 mins last night (first 4 or 5 days) and it was absolutely glorious. My wife was using the Gamepad and watching the map and stuff for me while I used my Wiimote/nunchaku. Good times.

PS4 probably gonna dominate this weekend though..

Salvadora

You see we are being linked with Dzeko again.

Not from the greatest sources, but yeah.

Can't see City selling to us, but I would be over the moon if we managed that one.
Could see him going to Dortmund if he was to leave City.

It's hard to know whether we're being linked with all these players because we have a genuine interest, or because everyone knows we're in dire need of a forward. Bit of both probably. Dzeko isn't my sort of muppet material, he's too much of a known quantity :p
BZIQiQKIYAAMUFG.jpg:large

This been posted yet? Theo on RVP, didn't like him.
Lots of bad blood there by the sounds of things. That whole page is cringe, it hurt reading it. His "little ways" :looooool, proper creeper.

Linius

Is it like the 3DS where we have to independently do it or will I get a notification? Are you Scum on there as well? Played Pikmin 3 for about 90 mins last night (first 4 or 5 days) and it was absolutely glorious. My wife was using the Gamepad and watching the map and stuff for me while I used my Wiimote/nunchaku. Good times.

Seriously dude, why did you buy the Wii U at the same time as the PS4? :p

Wilbur

Banned
Film was okay. Pretty bad first half, pretty good second half. Bardem the only one out of the main cast who can deliver McCarthy's lines well, all the best scenes and lines went to characters not from the main cast. Ridley Scott is becoming a director for hire.

Don't know how neutral this text is, but seems interesting
about Dortmund finances:

That's a rather stupid article, I don't think the writer knows shit at all.

We can't leave the cunt money out of our report, the hell is he even thinking, that would be Hoeneß' business or, neutrally said, illegal. And wanting a headline? What should we do? Give away money to make it worse? Everyone knows that achieving as much money as we made last season is incredibly hard to repeat. CL final + 37m from Bayern had a huge impact and we won't be able to repeat that every season.

People realizing we aren't up there with Bayern/Barca/Real/etc after reading a "normal" quarter report are idiots because that was obvious, anyway. Our finances are as good as you could expect them to be or said differently, nothing has changed.

Meier

Seriously dude, why did you buy the Wii U at the same time as the PS4? :p

City fans have forgotten the meaning of the word 'budget'

:p

I am getting the 3DS XL next Friday too (trading in my launch day 3DS to help pay off some of this)! My wife is chipping in on the Wii U (got it on sale for $264.99) since she is a huge Pikmin fan and has been begging me to get it so she can watch me play.

I had a good bit of credit from various trade-ins (Xbox 360 and iPhone 4) at Gamestop so I am not out of pocket much for the PS4. When I get an Xbone, I'll trade in my PS3 or other 360.. or both. Sadly the Wii is not even worth anything really. Gamestop will give you $20 in credit (lol) and you have to turn in a Wiimote Plus! You basically give up a still $50 controller to get $20.

I am getting the 3DS XL next Friday too (trading in my launch day 3DS to help pay off some of this)! My wife is chipping in on the Wii U (got it on sale for $264.99) since she is a huge Pikmin fan and has been begging me to get it so she can watch me play.

I had a good bit of credit from various trade-ins (Xbox 360 and iPhone 4) at Gamestop so I am not out of pocket much for the PS4. When I get an Xbone, I'll trade in my PS3 or other 360.. or both. Sadly the Wii is not even worth anything really. Gamestop will give you $20 in credit (lol) and you have to turn in a Wiimote Plus! You basically give up a still $50 controller to get $20.

I'd pay $20 if it came with Xenoblade :D

(literally the only Wii game I'm jealous of, alongside the two Zeldas)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Film was okay. Pretty bad first half, pretty good second half. Bardem the only one out of the main cast who can deliver McCarthy's lines well, all the best scenes and lines went to characters not from the main cast. Ridley Scott is becoming a director for hire.

Was the script as annoying as the one in Brick?

confuziz

Banned
What's the strongest XI your club ever played? I'm watching a documentary right now and this lineup came up

coach: Trapattoni

-------------------Zoff-----------------
-----------------Scirea-----------------
---Gentile------Brio------Cabrini
----------Tardelli----Bonini---------------
------------------Platini-----------
Bettega------Paolo Rossi-----Boniek------

Lord almighty

edit : damn I thought you meant best possible XI ever (like combined through the years). Dat fail.

Linius

City fans have forgotten the meaning of the word 'budget'

:p

Good one :lol

Yeah, it wasn't so much about the money but you can't play on two systems at the same time anyways :p

But it makes sense since the wife wants to play Wii U too. I want an XL too but I'm spending my money on games rather than hardware these days.

England team to play Chile: Forster, Johnson, Cahill, Jones, Baines, Lallana, Lampard, Wilshere, Milner, Rodriguez, Rooney

Is Milner really the best choice?

His (and Cleverley's for the sake of equality) existence as an international midfielder makes me angry, not only at him and his utter mediocrity, but at the state of English international football.

bud

the last time ridley made a proper film was when he did kingdom of heaven (the director's cut). it's a fantastic film despite bloom's major lack or presence.

Linius

Man this Pokémon ending is so cheesy. I wish I could skip the credits too, I really don't care who all these guys are. I already paid for the game, now let me skip it.

Wilbur

Banned
Was the script as annoying as the one in Brick?

Eh it wasn't annoying per se, but I said in the Counsellor thread that I always think McCarthy's prose lends itself better to descriptive passages than dialogue, so making an entire film out of that dialogue - where everything that comes out of his characters' mouths are distinctly McCarthy - was always going to be problematic. It's okay when it's an omniscient narrator because that of course is McCarthy. And it's okay when there's only a few characters who do speak - The road for example, especially seeing as the main two are father and son - but when there's twenty five people, half of who only pop up for one scene, and they all sound exactly the same with the same speech patterns and McCarthy trademark lines, it all comes across a little inauthentic.

Didn't have a clue what was going on for about an hour either. And Diaz was shit. Fassbender was anonymous, Brad Pitt looked hot but felt like the character he was playing seemed odd saying the things he did (again, a McCarthy problem).

Ridley Scott is shit.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Is the Portugal Sweden match likely to be good quality? Tossing between watching that or England, my head says Portugal but I hear they are almost as horrendous as England, even with Ronaldo.

Wilbur

Banned
Cola, Portugal are shit. Truss. Still, something on the line there at least.

Haven't a clue why Milner is starting. Also Baines here means Cole against Germany.

the last time ridley made a proper film was when he did kingdom of heaven (the director's cut). it's a fantastic film despite bloom's major lack or presence.

I haven't seen it yet, but I've seen most of his films. Think the only one that's a bona fide masterpiece is Alien.

And like I said in the other thread, one masterpiece across a career is great. But he hasn't turned out anything better than decent since Gladiator for me (which was only good itself). And he's still got such a huge reputation. Tony > Ridley. Serious bruv.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Eh it wasn't annoying per se, but I said in the Counsellor thread that I always think McCarthy's prose lends itself better to descriptive passages than dialogue, so making an entire film out of that dialogue - where everything that comes out of his characters' mouths are distinctly McCarthy - was always going to be problematic. It's okay when it's an omniscient narrator because that of course is McCarthy. And it's okay when there's only a few characters who do speak - The road for example, especially seeing as the main two are father and son - but when there's twenty five people, half of who only pop up for one scene, and they all sound exactly the same with the same speech patterns and McCarthy trademark lines, it all comes across a little inauthentic.

LOOOOOOL

Oh my, that actually makes a lot of sense. So the movie was basically one character with different faces?
KuGsj.gif

Tarantino is guilty of this too

Linius

why?

Kingdom of Heaven directors cut is great.

I enjoyed the counselor just ok, but slighlty disappointing.

I watched Blue is The Warmest color last night, it was good.. but long

Hol shit, three hours I see. That's pretty long yes :p

Going to see Captain Philips next week. The World's End the week after. And shortly after that The Hobbit will release. Good times.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Almost?

One of us qualified, the other didn't Only one conclusion to draw.

But Ronaldo

RONALDO :(

I suppose it balances out that the best two players in the World belong to nations who are less than par.

Wilbur

Banned
why?

Kingdom of Heaven directors cut is great.

I enjoyed the counselor just ok, but slighlty disappointing.

I watched Blue is The Warmest color last night, it was good.. but long

That's the lesbian Cannes one? Sounds good.

Gravity kinda reignited my interest in films. Haven't seen one for ages apart from the odd cinema one, haven't say down at home and watched ones I haven't seen for so long. But I wanna get back into doing that. Forgot how good it was when you see something new that you love.

Meier

Yeah, it wasn't so much about the money but you can't play on two systems at the same time anyways :p

But it makes sense since the wife wants to play Wii U too. I want an XL too but I'm spending my money on games rather than hardware these days.
Yeah, it's funny timing, I agree. I have been wanting to get a Wii U for awhile but was waiting on a price drop. $250 was the sweet spot for me so $264.99 with no tax and free shipping was a must buy. Shame it's Mario/Luigi U rather than Zelda but that's okay.

Hitcher's post was pretty great.

Is the Portugal Sweden match likely to be good quality? Tossing between watching that or England, my head says Portugal but I hear they are almost as horrendous as England, even with Ronaldo.

It will be. Both teams are fired up and you have two of the greatest players in the world fighting for a place in the World Cup.

Scum

No need for that 3DS stuff. Just check your friend list. :D

Wilbur

Banned
LOOOOOOL

Oh my, that actually makes a lot of sense. So the movie was basically one character with different faces?
KuGsj.gif

Tarantino is guilty of this too

Tarantino is the goat u cunt.

I think the difference is with him is that

a) his strength is his dialogue especially for films. If he tried to write prose it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as good. Anti-Cormac.

b) there is at least differences to the characters because of the actors performances; while everyone in a Tarantino film is smart, funny, reliant on pop culture references so there doesn't seem too much of a distinction, clearly Waltz in IB is different than Waltz is Django because of little nuances he brings to it. None of the characters in the Counsellor even seemed remotely interested in pretending they were anything other than a Cormac McCarthy character.

Plus - and this is one of the reasons why IM3 > all other marvel films - there's personality and a unique individual touch QT gives his films. You can tell they're his. Scott doesn't make films his own. Seriously for a screenplay that was pretty feted, you wouldn't believe how unremarkable the direction is in this. Anyone could have made it.

Batigol

Banned

Watching England friendlies is never a good idea. Plus, the other two are actually playing for something so it should be entertaining at least

Mr Cola

It will be. Both teams are fired up and you have two of the greatest players in the world fighting for a place in the World Cup.

Ah yeah I remember you are from Portugal, whats the feeling like there? You guys favourites?

Ah yeah I remember you are from Portugal, whats the feeling like there? You guys favourites?

Stadium will be packed, 61.500 tickets sold. I´m not sure anyone around here would call us favorites. We´ve been shit but Ronaldo´s all worked up and he will surely do all he can to go the WC. Same thing for Ibra.
Should be an interesting match and there´s word that William Carvalho might actually be on the starting team, which would be a plus for United, Chelsea and Juve supporters since all 3 are after him.

Fry

Thinking about watching Thor 2 tonight.

Wanted Gravity but it's unavailable in the movie theater I frequent. :(

Mr Cola

Stadium will be packed, 61.500 tickets sold. I´m not sure anyone around here would call us favorites. We´ve been shit but Ronaldo´s all worked up and he will surely do all he can to go the WC. Same thing for Ibra.
Should be an interesting match and there´s word that William Carvalho might actually be on the starting team, which would be a plus for United, Chelsea and Juve supporters since all 3 are after him.

Sold! And I will root for you guys tonight, cannot imagine a WC without Ronaldo there

Top Bottom