• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| - Mes Que Un... Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
We keep fucking doing this. We sign a load of midfielders and strikers and neglect the defence. When was the last time West Ham actually signed a defender with a pre-built solid reputation on a permanent deal?

We still need a proven striker as well, and Song. Or someone to replace Song.

I heard Slav's looking for a left-footed CB to bring some balance to the back four, hopefully we can get someone good in. I'm not entirely convinced by Reid & Tomkins as a pairing either and Collins is getting a bit long in the tooth, definitely need a big signing there.

They don't seem to be focussing on bringing in a new striker, I'd love someone proven but I'm not sure we'll get it - also, I think Valencia could come good if given the proper support. Will be interesting to see if Carroll can prove himself to be more than an expensive crock, as well.

My FC Porto interested in Imbula. What can french/marseille gaffers say about him?
I don't get why you're spending 25 million on him but maybe you will be able to sell him for twice this amount when the time comes. He is young and a few successful CL games might help him increase his worth.

Klaus Allofs (Wolfsburg): "And when I read about possible transfer fees from 10 to 12 million Euros for Bas Dost, I have to refer to the example of Roberto Firmino and say: maybe you have to get usesd to other sums. At least if you really want to get one of our players."
Seems like Newcastle United still has some work to do if they want to buy Bas Dost

RaGe_pt

I don't get why you're spending 25 million on him but maybe you will be able to sell him for twice this amount when the time comes. He is young and a few successful CL games might help him increase his worth.

I don't get it either, it's not our usual way of doing business. We buy cheap and sell for millions to get profit. But from what I am reading we are paying 12.5 million and the other 12.5 million is supported by a group of investors (a bit like what happened with Brahimi). From what I saw from Imbula (not many games), he looks like a very pacey player, good passing quality and good tecnique...

To be honest, they are pretty average for more than a decade. They have a regular star player every generation, but they lack behind EU when it comes to tactics and discipline. And they haven't had a good manager for years.

That 06 squad was super rich in talent (only-moderately-fat Ronaldo, almost peak Ronaldinho, peak-ish Adriano, peak Kaka). Now they have Neymar as their main attacking guy and ?? Coutinho?

It seems really strange that the dropoff has been so rapid. The backline seems about as good as ever though.

Although I guess Moura's injured.

Jack cw

Klaus Allofs (Wolfsburg): "And when I read about possible transfer fees from 10 to 12 million Euros for Bas Dost, I have to refer to the example of Roberto Firmino and say: maybe you have to get usesd to other sums. At least if you really want to get one of our players."
Seems like Newcastle United still has some work to do if they want to buy Bas Dost
Dost is possibly the best box striker in Bundesliga. He wont be cheap and Wolfsburg wont sell their players as long as Volkswagen is involved. 30 million may be the point when they start talking - De Bruyne for example is tagged at 80 million Euro. They play CL and need those guys.
That 06 squad was super rich in talent (only-moderately-fat Ronaldo, almost peak Ronaldinho, peak-ish Adriano, peak Kaka). Now they have Neymar as their main attacking guy and ?? Coutinho?

It seems really strange that the dropoff has been so rapid. The backline seems about as good as ever though.

Although I guess Moura's injured.
They had great names back then, but they were over their prime and lost to a French team that wasn't the best either. Adriano and Kaka both became pretty much irrelevant in world football at that time. Of course the squad was better than todays, especially in defence. Silva and Luiz don't work well, there is no class defensive midfielder. Looks like this generation of Brazilian players is rather average.

At least we have some phenomenal players from Belgium this time.

Stulaw

There's a rumour that West Ham want Borini and he'll cost £8m. Seems to have been started by the Daily Express or The Sun.

Dost is possibly the best box striker in Bundesliga. He wont be cheap and Wolfsburg wont sell their players as long as Volkswagen is involved. 30 million may be the point when they start talking - De Bruyne for example is tagged at 80 million Euro. They play CL and need those guys.

De Bruyne $80M ? Wow, that's some James Rodriguez level of inflation.
Thinking about it, you overspend on pretty much everything these days.

You're right about the laughstock. Belgium is my second favourite for the upcoming Euro behind Germany and before France.

El Topo

De Bruyne $80M ? Wow, that's some James Rodriguez level of inflation.

He's 23, has a four-year contract, played an incredible season and is arguably one of the biggest talents in football. They'd probably let him go for less, but they could afford to keep him and it's understandable if the "semi-official" price tag was that high.

bjaelke

Barcelona will make a 90-million-euro offer for Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba

This article reads like something produced by a Daily Express intern. Random parts bolded, filled with clichés and no source whatsoever. Closing paragraph is but the icing on the cake.

This deal would ruin Barcelona's wage hierachy and could cause unrest in the dressing room, so the club are looking for other options. Raiola has offers that have arrived at this figure, but won't twist any arms unless his player asks him to. To play alongside Messi has its own price and Barça are confident that finally they will be able to make an agreement.

Firemind

He's 23, has a four-year contract, played an incredible season and is arguably one of the biggest talents in football. They'd probably let him go for less, but they could afford to keep him and it's understandable if the "semi-official" price tag was that high.
I was about to say. James Rodriguez made one phenomenal goal. De Bruyne has been awarded Bundesliga player of the year and he doesn't even play for Bayern.

Jarnet87

Arda Turan supposedly wants to leave Atletico cos he doesn't like Simeone's high intensity style and doesn't want to defend. Added to the fact that he's legit shit, I'm baffled by *tabloid* rumours pin him on Chelsea and Barcelona. :lol

I think if Turan was going to get that big move, it would have been years ago. I remember him being hyped up from Euro 2008. The Chelsea links make no sense if the point about him not wanting to play high intensity and not defend lol. Mou only allows one player on his team to not defend and that is Hazard.

All these papers seem to think Schneiderlin will be wrapped up on Wednesday, I'm half expecting the papers to start printing stories about Arsenal making a last ditch effort to sign him and that he wants to be in London. Ramos and Schweinsteiger are going to the wire if they even want to leave, both their clubs will play hard ball over players who want out. My guess is we'll be going on the preseason tour with Depay as the only new signing, possibly Schneiderlin too.

bjaelke

CIq7UUmWgAANR7y.png

and that's how the 2015 silly season officially kicked off

Marc

Whoah, footyGAF is back? This is the stuff of Yayas dreams.

Put me down for the English women bandwagon, and every team Woys boys face until he is sacked. Also Southgate, the vision of Woys tournament future. Planks.

Congratulations to Liverpool on Clyne, could be the bargain of the decade if he keeps fit and keeps showing his level of improvement. Weird that the likes of Citeh and United didn't get involved. Wary of the Saints transfer curse?

Rodgers hit rate with Saints players is... worrisome.

Jarnet87

Cech would have been great at United, but there was talk he preferred to stay in London.

We are getting close to that part of the silly season where we start to track players getting out of cars with sheets for Medicals and tracking airplane routes. What a time to be alive.

Sloosha

Really sad to see Cech go. Arsenal will be formidable next season.

I now eagerly await the signature of a moribund Colombian striker. :(

Also looks like we should be getting Begovic soon.

Cech would have been great at United, but there was talk he preferred to stay in London.

We are getting close to that part of the silly season where we start to track players getting out of cars with sheets for Medicals and tracking airplane routes. What a time to be alive.

A matter of days away from the Twittersphere from imploding as well under the weight of conflicting reports, fake ITKs and third-hand reports. Then add in the bollocks about certain players Liking the second cousins of the wife of a different player.

Put your ear to the ground, and you can almost hear the impending web of bullshit being spun.

Thank fuck Liverpool won't be involved, aside from a striker and outgoings.

Meier

Liverpool's transfer dealings have been very impressive thus far. Getting shit done especially with Clyne expected to be announced today.

Tubie

So now City is interested in Ramos too.

Honestly if United or City offer more than 60m euros I would sell him. He's great but you can find a decent replacement for half of the rumored 70m euro price tag Florentino put on him.

(There's still a huge chance this is just Ramos trying to get a better contract from Madrid, without any real intention to leave Spain)

Liverpool's transfer dealings have been very impressive thus far. Getting shit done especially with Clyne expected to be announced today.

I think its been good enough to do what was absolutely necessary, making it so we don't have a worse season next year than we did last. Bad business (and it could still be bad business, can't be sure yet) could have easily seen us sliding down into legit midtable.

Don't think we'll be challenging for the CL spots in May, but stopping the rot will have to do for now. Perhaps the most important change now aside from a striker is B-Rod ditching the static setups from last season and going back to the balls-out attacking play. He quite clearly can't coach a team to win 2-0 regularly, so let's go for 5-3 :p

Some Chelsea fans are really embarrassing themselves on Twitter.

It's disgusting. Why are they attacking someone for not wanting to move their family around again especially after everything he's done. I hope some of them get done like the people who did the Balotelli and Welbeck tweets.

They had great names back then, but they were over their prime and lost to a French team that wasn't the best either. Adriano and Kaka both became pretty much irrelevant in world football at that time. Of course the squad was better than todays, especially in defence. Silva and Luiz don't work well, there is no class defensive midfielder. Looks like this generation of Brazilian players is rather average.

You may be getting your timeline wrong, 2006 was truly a peak-era Kaka. In fact you could argue he continued to get better for a couple of years after that. His last season at Milan (09 I think?) demonstrated the first signs of his decline, which became clearer at Madrid. I can't remember when Adriano exactly started going off into the deep end though!

Yeah, the drastic dropoff between generations was what I was alluding to. It seems extra crazy when you consider that every generation prior has had 3-4 megastars at all times; now there's only 1.

Edit: Cech looks so weird in Arsenal kit.

Also looks like we should be getting Begovic soon.

I kinda hoped the Rob Green rumours were true, they were too hilarious

Isn't that what Liverpool did last summer? Get all Southampton's players in quickly and then fuck everything up anyway?

Edit: Cech looks so weird in Arsenal kit.

Anyone would look weird in that Arsenal kit, it's horrible.

JardeL

Some talks of Arda Turan set for a medical with Manchester United.
I don't think he has the pace and strength to compete in EPL. He's not Hazard so if he wants to play regularly in EPL he has to "run" as much as he did in Atletico, maybe more.

There're also rumours that PSG and Barça are interested in him. His agent said "He'll not be joining PSG" though.

Btw, Gala is set to sign Podolski, and maybe Soldado too.

bjaelke

The Ivory Coast international [Gervinho] was expected to complete a €13m switch to the Abu Dhabi side, but yesterday it emerged that the deal had fallen through.

It was reported yesterday that a club source said his demands were ‘obscene’, but this was originally thought to be in relation to his salary requests.

However, La Gazzetta dello Sport today reported that the Ivorian’s array of demands stretched far beyond his basic wage.

These included always having a helicopter at his disposal, accommodation for his family, a private beach and an unknown number of plane tickets to the Ivory Coast.
:lol

Carbonox

"Why on earth would you move to those countries?"

"You get an island, a tank and a Cineworld unlimited membership bruv"

Footballing reasons go out of the window entirely when sheikhs are sheikhing their money at you. They were probably willing to grant him half of his requests but the Ivory Coast tickets were too much.

Jarnet87

Yesterday it looked like Schneiderlin was imminent, Sergio was a step closer out the door of Madrid and Turan was set for United.

Today reports that United haven't been in contact in South Hampton in 10 days and put in a bid lower then $25 million pounds, Sergio's mother says her son will stay with Madrid, and Turan's agent downplays link to United with Chelsea rumors swirling.

This is the United summer struggle.

ibqKXm3B7PUbsz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom