• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

The Glazers would never do it for fear of the backlash, but I have to wonder how much United would get of they sold the naming rights of Old Trafford.

Should try and get some bed company to do it. Theatre of Dreams and all that.

It'd be a lot though.

Manager

Frank Lampard: Manchester City will pay all of midfielder's wages

Manchester City will pay all of Frank Lampard's wages during his loan spell with the club, amid suggestions they are using the deal to bypass Uefa's Financial Fair Play regulations.
Lampard, 36, signed on a free for New York City last month - who are part-owned by Manchester City - and with the MLS season not starting until March he will spend the next six months at City.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger questioned whether the move was designed to "get round" FFP rules - which Manchester City failed to meet last season.
"Is it a way to get around the fair play? I don't know," said Wenger.
"It looks like all of these 'City' clubs will feed the main club Manchester City - I heard they want to buy five clubs all over the world.
"I don't know the rules well enough, but they bought a franchise for £59.4m to play in the States next season."
Lampard left Chelsea in the summer after his contract expired and it is understood City will pay his entire salary while he is with them and New York City will take responsibility thereafter.
The midfielder will become one of the minimum five homegrown players City need in their 21-man Champions League squad to comply with FFP.
City feel they have no need to dodge FFP because they are now breaking even and on course to comply with the regulations going forward.
The club's failure to comply with FFP last season resulted in a fine and restrictions on their wage bill and squad size.
They have been restricted to a 21-man Champions League squad this year - with eight home-grown players required in their Premier League squad.
"At the moment the players they sign cannot play until next year so they will register them in the other clubs and can get out on loan," added Wenger, who ruled out Arsenal employing similar methods in the future.
"We are happy to dedicate the money to just run our club - there is not a lot of surplus to run other clubs, " he said.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28635053

iFZPN17B8cStn.gif

Hixx

@SkySports_Keith 5m
Jack Rodwell will undergo his medical in the next few hours. Fee with Man City and personal terms have been agreed on a 5-year contract.

M8S

We're signing someone!

We've given Borini a deadline of tomorrow as well it seems.

wedward

True, I was confusing myself because the deal works out at average of 17 million a year from Emirates until 2028.

Yeah, not sure how it's divided up. Arsenal announced it as 150 over 5 years for the Emirates shirt sponsorship. So in 2019 we can get a new deal, but the stadium name is till 2028. Not sure how much of that 30 is the stadium.

This and Arsenals title challenge!

Next year is going to be so fun

I don't know if we have a strong enough squad to win the title compared to Chelsea, who I think will win, and City. But I think we have as good a first 11 as anyone and if we can avoid injuries and stay consistent then I am hoping we get sneak second and maybe even the league.

I hope we can stay in the top 2 until January and then sign Falcao to win us the league, but knowing Wenger he will bring back Bendtner.

Yeah, not sure how it's divided up. Arsenal announced it as 150 over 5 years for the Emirates shirt sponsorship. So in 2019 we can get a new deal, but the stadium name is till 2028. Not sure how much of that 30 is the stadium.

BM are getting around 6 milliona year from Allianz for something like 30 years, so I reckon it is in the 5-10 million bracket.

They have survived every backlash so far, and even if they did it people would still go and the money would still keep coming in.

Im surprised they havent done it already tbh.

The Glazers would never do it for fear of the backlash, but I have to wonder how much United would get of they sold the naming rights of Old Trafford.

I wouldn't care if we use it to buy world class players

Like Vidal

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I don't know if we have a strong enough squad to win the title compared to Chelsea, who I think will win, and City. But I think we have as good a first 11 as anyone and if we can avoid injuries and stay consistent then I am hoping we get sneak second and maybe even the league.

I hope we can stay in the top 2 until January and then sign Falcao to win us the league, but knowing Wenger he will bring back Bendtner.

I just think winning the title after years of not being close is the hurdle, I dont think quality wise you are far off, but experience wise over a whole season, i mean look at last season for example, contenders for a good spell then a complete drop. You cant just assume because on paper your team is level that your team contains the abilities to win the league, its just not how it goes.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
What's wrong with discussing Arsenal as a potential title challenger?

Nothing, I was just commenting on what the thread had been discussing, you are far more contenders than we are.

El Topo

If they get Khedira or Schneiderlin (or even Carvalho) I don't see why Arsenal should have no title shot. Not a big one, but still.

I just think winning the title after years of not being close is the hurdle, I dont think quality wise you are far off, but experience wise over a whole season, i mean look at last season for example, contenders for a good spell then a complete drop. You cant just assume because on paper your team is level that your team contains the abilities to win the league, its just not how it goes.

Same with City, but they won the FA cup and it sparked them into action the next season and they won the league. Our problem has always been squad depth and mentality. If we can sign another two players, especially someone with the winning mentality of big Sami K then the team should be good enough to compete till January and then hopefully a signing can spur us on. I think had we signed some actual players last January we could have won the league, but Wenger threw it away.

TeddyBoy

With Musacchio about to join I would think this is our 'ideal' first XI:

Lloris
Walker Musacchio (Dawson) Vertonghen (Kaboul) Davies
Scheniderlin (Capoue) Bentaleb
Lennon Lamela Eriksen
Adebayor

Due to transfers not yet being done/World Cup rustiness I expect the players in brackets will start the first game against West Ham.

I'm guessing your expecting Sandro to be sold then?

And Lamela through the middle with Eriksen out wide? I would of thought it would be the other way around.

@SkySports_Keith 5m
Jack Rodwell will undergo his medical in the next few hours. Fee with Man City and personal terms have been agreed on a 5-year contract.

M8S

We're signing someone!

We've given Borini a deadline of tomorrow as well it seems.

I can't believe your signing Rodwell, he barely got into the Everton team when he was there. Borini will choose to stay with us I guess.

Mr Cola

Same with City, but they won the FA cup and it sparked them into action the next season and they won the league. Our problem has always been squad depth and mentality. If we can sign another two players, especially someone with the winning mentality of big Sami K then the team should be good enough to compete till January and then hopefully a signing can spur us on. I think had we signed some actual players last January we could have won the league, but Wenger threw it away.

Just to put this in note, I really want you to do well, genuinely, I think Arsenal are a smashing team, play good football and should be winning more titles. City did do it, that obviously means it can be done, and it CAN be done, but it is incredibly hard. Do I honestly think you will do it next year? Probably not, given how strong Chelsea and City are, but you are definitely doing the right things to get there.

I just think you need a little bit more time.

arkon

Can Man U get fucked out of a CL spot if say they finish 3rd behind Chelsea and City and say Liverpool/Arse win the CL and Everton/Spurs win the EL?

You can have 5 teams per association now in the CL. It would be 4th place that loses out as before.

L1NETT

Everton>City>Sunderland

The career path you dream about as a child.

Wedward don't be posting shite now

Plenty worse out there, Sunderland are a good club with big support. He'll be getting tons more football than we would have been smelling Pellegrini's farts on the bench

Good move

Hixx

I can't believe your signing Rodwell, he barely got into the Everton team when he was there. Borini will choose to stay with us I guess.

Everton>City>Sunderland

The career path you dream about as a child.

Rodwell played 90 games for Everton before he was 21.

wedward, I know I have already posted this, if you haven't seen it before, you can now: you are such a gonk.

wedward

Wedward don't be posting shite now

Plenty worse out there, Sunderland are a good club with big support. He'll be getting tons more football than we would have been smelling Pellegrini's farts on the bench

Good move

Should have stayed at Everton.

L1NETT

Should have stayed at Everton.

Well thanks very much Mr Hindsight, obviously he should have. Why I thought Barkley signing a new deal (even though they usually mean shite all) and Will Hughes looking to stay are smart

Just don't be posting Wum bollocks.

TeddyBoy

Rodwell played 90 games for Everton before he was 21.

wedward, I know I have already posted this, if you haven't seen it before, you can now: you are such a gonk.

He played quite a bit when he was very young but before City bought him he wasn't being played very much. Quite a lot of my Everton mates were baffled City would buy him because he couldn't force his way into the Everton team ahead of Osman.

If he developments into the player he was expected to become whilst at Everton he'll be a great buy, it's just very risky.

wedward

Well thanks very much Mr Hindsight, obviously he should have. Why I thought Barkley signing a new deal (even though they usually mean shite all) and Will Hughes looking to stay are smart

Just don't be posting Wum bollocks.

To be fair, I didn't think it was a good move back then either. Can't imagine many did.

That was more a shot at City than Sunderland. I think he definitely needs to move and Sunderland is probably a good move for him.

But when you look back at how hyped he was...yeesh, didn't turn out like he planned.

Meier

@SkySports_Keith 5m

I think he'll be a very good signing for you guys. It's been kind of strange, we only played him for like 13 minutes in the preseason -- I wonder if this was at Sunderland's request or what.

jtb

Banned
I think he'll be a very good signing for you guys. It's been kind of strange, we only played him for like 13 minutes in the preseason -- I wonder if this was at Sunderland's request or what.

Isn't he made of glass? maybe best to just keep him wrapped up until he was officially sold; don't want to risk him getting injured and scaring away any buyers

Meier

Isn't he made of glass? maybe best to just keep him wrapped up until he was officially sold; don't want to risk him getting injured and scaring away any buyers

I thought we'd put him in the shop window like Sinclair (who has played decently and bagged a few goals) but maybe this has formally been in the works for a few weeks. Who knows.

Immediately becomes the best looking player at Sunderland.

Slizz

There are 2 things I remember about Rodwell....

Injuries

And that hilarious red card he got like 10 minutes into the Derby when he 'tackled' Suarez

Meier

There are 2 things I remember about Rodwell....

Injuries

And that hilarious red card he got like 10 minutes into the Derby when he 'tackled' Suarez

I'll always remember the game vs Norwich where he became Godwell. That second goal.. Pele.gif

i0g0ZBqCHn7qE.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom