• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would you give as examples of 18/19 year olds that have more potential than Sterling out of interest?

Matthias Ginter

He's already travelling to our pre-season camp and starts training tomorrow. I'm excited :)

I know Ginter is already 20 but I was just looking for an excuse to post about him

L1NETT

George Green said he wants to go on loan

PARKINSON GET THE PHONE

Ring Martinez

now

The next Ross Barkley/Rooney

Even sounds as dim as them

Mastadon

Banned
Matthias Ginter

He's already travelling to our pre-season camp and starts training tomorrow. I'm excited :)

I know Ginter is already 20 but I was just looking for an excuse to post about him

He doesn't play in the Premier League, so he can't be very good tbh.

/premface.

Ginter is my all time FM hero. I love him by proxy.

F1 2014 not being released on next gen consoles is so disappointing! I was going to get PC and PS4 because some of friends only have consoles and now I am stuck playing with just 1/2 friends on PC!
LLShC.gif

Godan

Barkley has always impressed me more than what Sterling has.

Anyway don't think their is much point continue this conversation as most Liverpool fans seem to not understand that this is just someone's opinion.

Mastadon

Banned
Barkley has always impressed me more than what Sterling has.

Anyway don't think their is much point continue this conversation as most Liverpool fans seem to not understand that this is just someone's opinion.

What? It's fine to have an opinion but don't act all defensive when people ask you how you came to that conclusion.

Godan

What? It's fine to have an opinion but don't act all defensive when people ask you how you came to that conclusion.

I came to this conclusion from the games I have seen that Barkley has played much better than Sterling.

Games I have seen Brakley in I have thought after it that he ran this game. With him he can play whatever has been asked of him. Sit in the middle and hold the midfierld or go forward and attack.

Not one with Sterling has this happend I guess this may be becasue of Suárez in the same team who know. He always seems to get the ball and just run.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So it looks like our two new CBs could be Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon) and Mateo Musacchio (Villareal). I know a bit about Dier but Musacchio I've never heard of, is he any good?

L1NETT

That he's not as good as people say he is and that he won't be a world class player like people assume he will be.

Sterling is a much better footballer with a much higher ceiling and the England team should be built around him.

Who is assuming Barkley will be world class?

He's a really talented, attack minded english player who has proven he has what it takes at PL level.

So is Sterling. Both of them have plenty of growing to do and are far from the finished shabang.

I think the England team should be built around players like them, not just around Sterling.

So it looks like our two new CBs could be Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon) and Mateo Musacchio (Villareal). I know a bit about Dier but Musacchio I've never heard of, is he any good?

Good signings if they come through

Would have thought Dier would mature a few more years in Portugal but hey ho

Wilbur

Banned

Decent from what I've seen, had a good season. Presumably you'll be getting rid of one or two centre backs now though.

Niven

Fairly average, bar a few games at RWB. After our loss to Hull on Dec 1st, he just stepped up, didn't look back.

He played about 2 whole games in the first half of last season, he didn't start appearing regularly until Christmas.

I see, I was just wondering because I live with three Liverpool fans so i try to avoid the room when there games are on being the only arsenal fan in the house. The meltdown in the house when the title slipped away last season was great tho :)

Who is assuming Barkley will be world class?

He's a really talented, attack minded english player who has proven he has what it takes at PL level.

So is Sterling. Both of them have plenty of growing to do and are far from the finished shabang.

I think the England team should be built around players like them, not just around Sterling.

Plenty of people are. In the media and fans.

They're both at their best in the same position so one of them would have to be sacrificed somewhat. I think that should be Barkley. It'll probably be Sterling though as he is also good out wide.

England's problem has been that they try to fit everyone in and I'm pretty sure they'll do it again. You play your best player in his best and favoured position. That's how it should be IMO.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Bt2mTX-CUAI1tTi.jpg

Evrahimovich is taking Isla's number LOOOOOOL GET IN!
3AQmK.gif

so we're selling every Chilean then, eh?
El Mercurial> givemesport> Metro

No idea how credible El Mercurial is. I'm guessing 'not very'.

Not very. And especially if it's written in the mother tongue of the premfaces.

Ushojax

Decent from what I've seen, had a good season. Presumably you'll be getting rid of one or two centre backs now though.

Seems Dawson and Chiriches are the ones on the shit list. Kaboul is over his injuries now and I guess he will fight with Musacchio to partner Vertonghen. Dier will play the cup games.

Wilbur

Banned
Seems Dawson and Chiriches are the ones on the shit list. Kaboul is over his injuries now and I guess he will fight with Musacchio to partner Vertonghen. Dier will play the cup games.

Thought Chiriches looked good from his limited appearances last season

L1NETT

Barkley smh.

David Bentley 2.0 just wait a few years.

If he goes to a petro club and wastes his talent sitting on the bench for 3 years then maybe yeah

Just because you have talent doesn't mean you automatically are gonna make it

Pretty blind to ignore what he did last season though.

Ushojax

Thought Chiriches looked good from his limited appearances last season

So did I, I don't really get that one but he didn't go on the tour and isn't training with the team. Maybe his attitude isn't right.

When the hell did spurs sign musacchio?

We haven't yet but it seems that is who we are looking at since Lovren has gone to Liverpool and Hector Moreno broke his leg.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
England's problem has been

England's problem is that they're not very good at football.

the 66 fluke was a long time ago, please accept your place guys. Just turn up with 11 players, kick the ball around and then go home.

you don't see Mexicans or Paraguayans complaining about their team under-performing

Sure your league is the best in the world, but that's down to the non-English players.

WAKE UP

Mastadon

Banned
I came to this conclusion from the games I have seen that Barkley has played much better than Sterling.

Games I have seen Brakley in I have thought after it that he ran this game. With him he can play whatever has been asked of him. Sit in the middle and hold the midfierld or go forward and attack.

Not one with Sterling has this happend I guess this may be becasue of Suárez in the same team who know. He always seems to get the ball and just run.

That's fair enough. I disagree with you, and think you're being unfair on Sterling though. For example, if he's just running at players, how did he end up with more goals, assists, chances created etc.

Wilbur

Banned

the 66 fluke was a long time ago, please accept your place guys. Just turn up with 11 players, kick the ball around and then go home.

you don't see Mexicans or Paraguayans complaining about their team under-performing

Sure your league is the best in the world, but that's down to the non-English players.

Why are you so angry

FootballFan

WAKE UP

Jesus.

Kaboul is one knee injury away from his career being over. He doesn't have a long term future in the squad. I would be very surprised if he's with us next season. I think Dawson is the only one the club are trying to sell.

sohois

Ross Barkley has a lot of potential, but his actual contribution is still fairly poor, which is fine for someone of his age but it wouldn't be nearly enough for a top 4 team, for example. Given that one saw discussion of moves to Man City and £50m transfer fees, I'd say his current ability is definitely overrated.

He scored 6 goals last season, which is good for a midfielder. But he had 0 assists. His passing stats are generally poor, he rarely creates chances and just doesn't make many passes in general, so it's not as if the former stat is restricted by his playing lots of passes further back or the possession based system he is in. His defensive contribution is also very poor, even taking into account his attacking nature. The areas he stands out in are dribbling and shooting, suggesting his style of play is to pick up the ball in midfield, dribble towards goal and have a shot. Which is fine, but the best attacking midfielders contribute all over the pitch.

Let's take Jonjo Shelvey as an example. He is a little older than Barkley, 2 years, but this was also his first full season in the PL, he is also english, similar style of player but one with considerably less hype. He also has 6 goals, but also has 6 assists, with decent defensive contribution and passing stats, as well as a similar number of shots. But you won't find Shelvey even in consideration for an England spot (interestingly, Shelvey also outmatches Wilshere in pretty much every area, and is the same age).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom