• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

PerfumedFastBuzzard.gif

Sanchez hnnng.
I'd say the best tbh

Rooney was a freak though, bossing things at 16
Maybe I don't have an eye for talent, but I just didn't see Sterling doing this. Like, it was obvious that he was talented but still... he's turned into one of the best youngsters in the world.
This is just as much an indictment on Liverpool and Chelsea as it is on City.
No it isn't :lol

dc89

I count 17 corporate partners on the City website.
If you're going HAM over our finances now, wait until we sign a few up to sponsor certain aspects of the campus etc.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
imagine spending £31m on a player and then playing Ashley Young.

van Gaal don't care

LvG hasnt made any signings so far, he signed off on those but they were there before and merely rubber stamped.

It will be very interesting to see who he actually signs and what impact they have.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
LvG hasnt made any signings so far, he signed off on those but they were there before and merely rubber stamped.

It will be very interesting to see who he actually signs and what impact they have.

Fat Shaw needs to impress then. I thought van Gaal wanted him because he was gone as soon as the wc started

Meier

How much of that is not family owned companies giving Man City over inflated contracts? Plus everyone knows PSG contracts are a fucking joke

PSG's figures are definitely inflated -- their deal with Qatari Tourism Authority is €200m a year which would of course make up about 80% of those figures. Officially, City have a few other partners beyond Etihad that are UAE-related: Etisalat (telecom company), TCA Abu Dhabi (tourism company), aabar (investment firm). I don't think we have a clue what these deals are worth. I know the summer tour photos and videos always have "http://visitabudhabi.ae/" somewhere which I assume is related to that TCA Abu Dhabi deal.

Well you look at the figures you posted, and City are close to United. United and Woodward fiend for sponsors and have a huge fan base. How are city so close?

United's numbers will go up by at least €100m in a year or two due to the new kit and shirt deals.

Maybe I don't have an eye for talent, but I just didn't see Sterling doing this. Like, it was obvious that he was talented but still... he's turned into one of the best youngsters in the world.

Sterling bossed the u21s dribbling past defenders any time he wanted. What surprised me is that he translated that into the PL. Not because he didn't have the talent, but that the physical side of the adult game didn't hold his performances back. He was pushing older players around and that has helped him a lot. A lot of youngsters don't have that strength at a young age.

United's numbers will go up by at least €100m in a year or two due to the new kit and shirt deals.

If you ignore those deals, I struggle to think how City managed to get so close to United. United having a large fan base that only Barca and Real Madrid can compete with and yet City are able to get deals worth a lot of money that rival United (prior to adidas deal). Surely companies would not put in so much money into City knowing that the fanbase is well behind Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, and United. Every deal City make should be less than a United deal. And when you factor in how many deals United have, I struggle to think something isn't dodgy about City's partnerships.

Barzul

Think, if anything, we're undervalued.

Our commercial team should really be doing more given out global appeal. The crowds on the Asian tour, for example, were insane.

It's why we only signed a 5 year deal. If we maintain the current expenditure we're seeing in the transfer market and win a couple more league titles. I honestly believe we could reach United levels in the next 8-10 years.

If you're going HAM over our finances now, wait until we sign a few up to sponsor certain aspects of the campus etc.

City are not gonna get much from non Abu dhabi related companies. The shirt sponsorship with Nike shows you the true value of the club. City are getting less than we did from Nike and they just signed that contract.

wedward

Mike Keegan
‏@mikekeeganbbc
Wonder if Arsene Wenger paused to think of FFP when he took #mcfc's money for Samir Nasri and Emmanuel Adebayor?

I love this tweet so much.

DC and Meier, you can use this in your next argument if you please.

dc89

Mike Keegan
‏@mikekeeganbbc
Wonder if Arsene Wenger paused to think of FFP when he took #mcfc's money for Samir Nasri and Emmanuel Adebayor?

I love this tweet so much.

DC and Meier, you can use this in your next argument if you please.

Yes. YES!

dc89

City are not gonna get much from non Abu dhabi related companies. The shirt sponsorship with Nike shows you the true value of the club. City are getting less than we did from Nike and they just signed that contract.

But how do value something that is unique?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
It's why we only signed a 5 year deal. If we maintain the current expenditure we're seeing in the transfer market and win a couple more league titles. I honestly believe we could reach United levels in the next 8-10 years.

Thats an awful lot of "ifs" there D:

I'd argue that Liverpool are doing okay commercially, and when it comes to making the brand grow, considering that we haven't won the league for 24 years, and have been out of the CL for 5

@Salva, Sterling was boss for the youth/reserve teams, and a bit average when he came into the first team, with a dip in Rodger's first season. Then he got stuck in a 'too good for the youngsters, not good enough for the first team' rut for a few months, but was given another chance and hasn't looked back

I count 29 United sponsors on the website. 12 more than City while getting more money out of those sponsors.

United: €177.9
City: €166.9

ibwnhJRiuIMkrd.gif

No way are City undervalued.

Barzul

Thats an awful lot of "ifs" there D:

True but I don't see why it would be an issue now that we're bringing in the commercial revenue a club of our status deserves. We were really hamstrung by those long term financial deals we signed to finance the Emirates stadium costs.

Mr Cola

True but I don't see why it would be an issue now that we're bringing in the commercial revenue a club of our status deserves. We were really hamstrung by those long term financial deals we signed to finance the Emirates stadium costs.

Its just, you cant expect to go from nothing for 8 years, an FA cup and now "Well we could win a few titles over the next decade". Its certainly possible but even at Uniteds peak when we were 1-2 every season I was warey of saying we could do this, and this was when the league was between 1-2 people every year. The league is so much more dynamic now, so much more competition. Hell I dont think we will win a title for at least 2 years. I will appreciate the fuck out of it when we do though :eek:

3Sixty

Old club photographer who sometimes still does shots of new signings is at the stadium.

HNGGNGNGNGG

Please don't be Samaras.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Soldado and Lennon, and Kane finding form

no sweat :p

Kane is genuinely good and will be a top player, you'll see. He's had a very good pre-season and is already better suited to the PL than Soldado will ever be.

But how do value something that is unique?

By comparing it to other contracts and taking into account the history of the club., 12 million a year from Nike which is less than Arsenal, Chelsea, United, and Liverpool as well as a host of European clubs shows what Kit suppliers valued the club at when there was fair competition.

wedward

Its just, you cant expect to go from nothing for 8 years, an FA cup and now "Well we could win a few titles over the next decade". Its certainly possible but even at Uniteds peak when we were 1-2 every season I was warey of saying we could do this, and this was when the league was between 1-2 people every year. The league is so much more dynamic now, so much more competition. Hell I dont think we will win a title for at least 2 years. I will appreciate the fuck out of it when we do though :eek:

I don't think Arsenal fans think the FA Cup win is going to be the catalyst to is winning things. Our ability to spend every summer is.

pappe

Kane is genuinely good and will be a top player, you'll see. He's had a very good pre-season and is already better suited to the PL than Soldado will ever be.

I still have this weird feeling that Soldado will have really great season this time around.

I know its hilarious but it can still happen.

I don't think Arsenal fans think the FA Cup win is going to be the catalyst to is winning things. Our ability to spend every summer is.

Have to consider the amount of time Wenger has left as well, and how smooth the transition to a new manager will be

How long is his contract now, 3 years?

Mr Cola

You are spending against City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool and if you want the big buys Real , Bayern and Barca (gimped as they will be next window).

Im even worried for United D:

wedward

Have to consider the amount of time Wenger has left as well, and how smooth the transition to a new manager will be

How long is his contract now, 3 years?

I think he has another 5 years left, at least.

Also think he will put a lot of effort into making sure it is a smooth transition.

Can't see him pulling a Fergie and selecting a successor because he is French.

Barzul

I think 3 titles over a 10 year span is achievable.

Meier

I count 29 United sponsors on the website. 12 more than City while getting more money out of those sponsors.

United: €177.9
City: €166.9

No way are City undervalued.

I didn't say ALL of our deals are, I just though the stadium/shirt one was. Viva put forth some figures that made it look like it's probably about in line with the current market, although I'm sure it will be undervalued in a few years towards the end of the deal.

For what it's worth, City only lists the UK or global partners on the primary site. There are a lot of companies not listed because they are not relevant or may be in the similar space as a UK-based one (which is unique to the UK).

I think he has another 5 years left, at least.

Also think he will put a lot of effort into making sure it is a smooth transition.

Can't see him pulling a Fergie and selecting a successor because he is French.

Wenger should have no say in it because he will pick a Frenchmen.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I still have this weird feeling that Soldado will have really great season this time around.

I know its hilarious but it can still happen.

He's had an OK pre-season but I'm still not impressed. Both he and Kane scored from very similar chances against Celtic but whereas Harry calmly lashed home first-time, Soldado took a shit touch towards the keeper, hit it straight at him and had to get the rebound. He makes it too easy for defenders/keepers to stop him scoring.

Meier

BuM_OuZCEAEzUKV.jpg:large

The CFA is a beauty. Almost there.

I don't think Soldado will do much better but he can't do any worse. It looks like things clicked for Lamela though.. I have a feeling he'll have a very good season. Has certainly looked bright in their preseason at least.

I didn't say ALL of our deals are, I just though the stadium/shirt one was. Viva put forth some figures that made it look like it's probably about in line with the current market, although I'm sure it will be undervalued in a few years towards the end of the deal.

For what it's worth, City only lists the UK or global partners on the primary site. There are a lot of companies not listed because they are not relevant or may be in the similar space as a UK-based one (which is unique to the UK).

How is the stadium/shirt deal undervalued? City are making over double the amount Arsenal are and even more than Bayern Munich.

Meier

How is the stadium/shirt deal undervalued? City are making over double the amount Arsenal are and even more than Bayern Munich.

Arsenal are getting £30m a year from Emirates.. think that includes both shirt and stadium but it's hard to say since the shirt sponsorship is significantly shorter than the stadium sponsorship. Bayern get £25m a year from DT but in general their sponsorship deals are a little more complicated due to the fact some of their sponsors own significant portions of the club.

dc89

BuM_OuZCEAEzUKV.jpg:large

The CFA is a beauty. Almost there.

I don't think Soldado will do much better but he can't do any worse. It looks like things clicked for Lamela though.. I have a feeling he'll have a very good season. Has certainly looked bright in their preseason at least.

amazing :')

Clegg

The Glazers would never do it for fear of the backlash, but I have to wonder how much United would get of they sold the naming rights of Old Trafford.

Mr Cola

The Glazers would never do it for fear of the backlash, but I have to wonder how much United would get of they sold the naming rights of Old Trafford.

They have survived every backlash so far, and even if they did it people would still go and the money would still keep coming in.

Im surprised they havent done it already tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom