• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
That thread in OT about the guy who killed himself taking a picture is going to be ban heavy, lots of Juniors saying its a good thing :3

H1PSTER

Guys... What else can I do to this team? The defence/Midfield seems AWFUL.

I don't support any premiership team (Notts County fan) but I do watch it; help me guys... I must beat my friends.

Must Keeps:
At least one Chelsea defender
Giroud

--

I am going to transfer Barkley out for Siggy after they play Leicester too.

400acc0c69095f7d3020788fb5970b42.png

No one but a deluded person would think it had anything to do with FFP. The benefit to signing him now is that NYCFC can spend the next 7 months advertising him as one of their DPs -- they're trying to drive season ticket sales. You don't have a news story if he signs for Man City and they say oh he'll then transfer to NYCFC in 5 months, we promise!

For the record, his salary will probably be $4-5m per year which equates to about £57k a week on the high end. Even if Man City weren't actually paying his wages, that's a drop in the bucket. Wenger needs to quit worrying about other clubs and start worrying about the fact Arsenal have been a laughing stock for nearly a decade. That should be the only thing he ever worries about publicly. If he was asked about Lampard and City, he should have said something like, "It will be strange to see Lampard playing in another shirt but it will only be for a short period before he moves to America." Short and sweet.

Yeah take the cheap shot at Arsenal. Laughing stock? Coming from a team that was playing Division two football not to long ago that's rich.

I think most clubs want the guys to train for a week or two before they're actually available. You would think that the Germany and Argentina players won't play for any club until the first week of the season.

Jose played Hazard yesterday and he only trained for 2 days. We had Drogba and Mikel play and they had only trained for 4 days. Jose gives no fucks! He just wants everyone ready for the first week!

Guys... What else can I do to this team? The defence/Midfield seems AWFUL.

I don't support any premiership team (Notts County fan) but I do watch it; help me guys... I must beat my friends.

Must Keeps:
At least one Chelsea defender
Giroud

--

I am going to transfer Barkley out for Siggy after they play Leicester too.

400acc0c69095f7d3020788fb5970b42.png
Start by swapping Hazard for Cesc and using the extra million for Mata.

Bin Giroud.

Salvadora

How do they calculate FF prices?

Seems a bit barmy that Sanchez would cost the same as Rooney, having not played a minute in the league and the later being a much more proven goalscorer.

Meier

Meier, you're having a mare.

City have already threatened the integrity of FFP by signing a very questionable financial deal with one of the relatives of the owner, and it would be right to question their intentions with the current "project." I'm honestly surprised the City fans here are getting so up in arms about an inoffensive comment.

He didn't even say anything definitively, anyway.

No, it's not "right to question" anything if you're just a random manager of another club. If he's an investigator for UEFA's FFP council or something, then yes, he should feel free to question anything he wants as a part of his due diligence. The only thing Arsene Wenger should be worrying about his Arsenal. That's it.

And frankly, City's commercial deals all seem to be quite undervalued in 2014 if you want to be honest.

Jose played Hazard yesterday and he only trained for 2 days. We had Drogba and Mikel play and they had only trained for 4 days. Jose gives no fucks! He just wants everyone ready for the first week!

I sure hope we rest Aguero for as long as possible. He needs it. :( I wish Sagna had been back in time to play in a friendly.

Imagine if City hadn't won the lottery

Imagine it

edit: Actually, a lottery isn't a good metaphor since they never even had to take the risk of buying a ticket. It's more like a benefactor just giving you a load of unearned money

Manager

Meier, you're having a mare.

City have already threatened the integrity of FFP by signing a very questionable financial deal with one of the relatives of the owner, and it would be right to question their intentions with the current "project." I'm honestly surprised the City fans here are getting so up in arms about an inoffensive comment.

He didn't even say anything definitively, anyway.

He's speaking about stuff that makes no sense only to whine on City, which he does year after year now. Before it was Chelsea, and obviously when Jose called him a voyeur.

How is getting a player on loan, that was available on a free transfer a couple weeks ago, and has the wages paid by City, "tricking" FFP?

L1NETT

Imagine it

They'd be playing us and another club would be there

But eh, City fans I know are pretty decent folk. Could have happened to plenty worse clubs. I mean City fans have had it in the shit for fucks knows how long before Sheikh came along.

No, it's not "right to question" anything if you're just a random manager of another club. If he's an investigator for UEFA's FFP council or something, then yes, he should feel free to question anything he wants as a part of his due diligence. The only thing Arsene Wenger should be worrying about his Arsenal. That's it.

And frankly, City's commercial deals all seem to be quite undervalued in 2014 if you want to be honest.

I sure hope we rest Aguero for as long as possible. He needs it. :( I wish Sagna had been back in time to play in a friendly.

What is the rationale behind that?

City have one of the highest commercial revenues in world football right now - so I'd suggest it's massively over-valued.

Barzul

No one but a deluded person would think it had anything to do with FFP. The benefit to signing him now is that NYCFC can spend the next 7 months advertising him as one of their DPs -- they're trying to drive season ticket sales. You don't have a news story if he signs for Man City and they say oh he'll then transfer to NYCFC in 5 months, we promise!

For the record, his salary will probably be $4-5m per year which equates to about £57k a week on the high end. Even if Man City weren't actually paying his wages, that's a drop in the bucket. Wenger needs to quit worrying about other clubs and start worrying about the fact Arsenal have been a laughing stock for nearly a decade. That should be the only thing he ever worries about publicly. If he was asked about Lampard and City, he should have said something like, "It will be strange to see Lampard playing in another shirt but it will only be for a short period before he moves to America." Short and sweet.

Only a deluded fan wouldn't think it had absolutely no relation to FFP. Man City have been sanctioned heavily by UEFA for failing to comply with FFP stipulations and have had issues in transfer market for precisely this reason. You think your team wouldn't spend more if those sanctions weren't there? Lampard is convenient loan that helps with the issue especially when it comes to meeting the HG quota so you don't have to have shit u21 players make up the rest your CL squad. If you don't think that was put into consideration I don't even what to say about that. The irony of you talking about Arsenal being a laughing stock. The decade before you got bought out by free spending billionaire owners that have arranged bloated commercial deals to increase your clubs standing, what were you? A team in the championship that no one cared about. You'll have to compete on the same playing field with everyone else now.

Carbonox

I don't even think Ferreyra had trained with Newcastle properly before he played a part in the win against Schalke yesterday. Was as if he signed the dotted line, was thrown a shirt and told to go on and assist Cabella which he did.

They're fucking professional athletes for crying out loud.

Salvadora

He's speaking about stuff that makes no sense only to whine on City, which he does year after year now. Before it was Chelsea, and obviously when Jose called him a voyeur.

How is getting a player on loan, that was available on a free transfer a couple weeks ago, and has the wages paid by City, "tricking" FFP?
Fuck me.

Watch the press conference.

He wasn't complaining about City, but merely threw out a possible loophole to FFP. The comments were not made in a "whining" fashion either, it was relatively lighthearted. And of course he is entitled to voice his opinion, just like anyone else in the world. And by the way, :lol at City's commercial deals being undervalued in 2014. Just :lol.

Meier

Imagine it

Probably would have typically been in that 8-12 window of finishing with the TV deal meaning a bigger signing may have happened this year (a la Lukaku @ Everton). The 50k seat stadium helps a bit -- Newcastle are perpetually in the Top 20-25 of the Deloitte Football Money League and they haven't really had much success in a long time. City would probably be in that vicinity as well rather than moving towards the top 5.

Arsenal aren't signing Carvalho. O Jogo (Porto-based) are the only ones reporting on it just as they were in January with Rodrigo who they claimed we were ready to buy 3 or 4 times. There hasn't been a peep out of A Bola (Lisbon) or anyone in the UK.

You're the one having a whinge, frankly. Not sure you even saw the press conference. He said he "didn't know" about 4 times, including after he "kept on talking".

I assume that commercial revenue is more relevant to the number of fans you have than the number of trophies you win, so City are nowhere near one of the more commercially attractive clubs in the world

Look how long it took Chelsea to start making good income from sponsors so they weren't operating at more and more of a loss. They didn't win a couple of titles, then all of a sudden become a commercial behemoth. It takes time

But City were sanctioned by UEFA so all what he has said about City in the past has had merit.

Suen

Guys the Fantasy Premier League code in the OP seems to be outdated. I've been told by a footy gaffer that it doesn't work. Since I'm just as clueless about this Fantasy stuff can anyone give me instructions on what to do? Is there a new code?

omgkitty

Jan Hagen ‏@PortuBall 17m

Arsenal haven't submitted a bid for W.Carvalho, but they prepare a €30m bid and hope to complete negotiations before the weekend. [O Jogo]

I assume that commercial revenue is more relevant to the number of fans you have than the number of trophies you win, so City are nowhere near one of the more commercially attractive clubs in the world

Look how long it took Chelsea to start making good income from sponsors so they weren't operating at more and more of a loss. They didn't win a couple of titles, then all of a sudden become a commercial behemoth. It takes time

Just for perspective, this is how the latest released commercial numbers look in the PL.

1) Manchester United - £153m
2) Manchester City - £143m
3) Liverpool - £98m
4) Chelsea - £84m
5) Arsenal - £44m

The idea City's is under valued is just...well...it's totally insane haha.

Just for perspective, this is how the latest released commercial numbers look in the PL.

3) Liverpool - £98m
4) Chelsea - £84m
5) Arsenal - £44m

Arsenal wtf

They're a huge club, why are their numbers so low? :s

Meier

What is the rationale behind that?

City have one of the highest commercial revenues in world football right now - so I'd suggest it's massively over-valued.

£40m a year for stadium and shirt sponsorship rights is probably under market value at this point given the level the club has reached and the fact that they don't sponsor a whole host of other major clubs (a la Emirates). The Nike kit deal itself is clearly well below market value.

Barzul

3) Liverpool - £98m
4) Chelsea - £84m
5) Arsenal - £44m

In 5 years they managed to almost close the gap with Man United a team that has been winning consistently for decades. With CL wins sprinkled in between. And they're undervalued?

Clegg

Arsenal wtf

They're a huge club, why are their numbers so low? :s
A decade of relative underachievement and a board very slow to realise where the real money was to be made.

The real question is how City can generate so much. Obv they're benefitting from some very dodgy lucrative deals.

Slizz

The head accountant at City must be one of the best in the world, the way they finagle all these deals and shit is actually very impressive. Assuming it doesn't all come crashing down at some point.

128594-51061

Fantasy League code is in this post

I did post it in the old thread but guess it wasn't updated in the thread. If you signed up last year I think you should be put back into this one automatically!

my team is the shit

U4octSP.png

I don't really understand some sponsors. I'm sure the numbers make sense, but if I see Carlsberg on a shirt, I'm reminded that it exists, and it's something that I can see some people buying as a result.

Do people really fly with a specific airline or buy a specific car because it was advertised by a club in really basic terms? Obviously with them it's more of a long term thing, they stick around for a few years being shoved in people's faces and then they're the first thing that comes to mind when looking to blow a fuck-tonne of money, but there must be some damn precise calculations when they figure out what their sponsorship is worth.

Out of interest, do Chevy expect to improve their standing in the UK, where I barely see any of their cars, or are they really trying to get a firmer grip of the American auto market with extra UK sales being a bonus?

£40m a year for stadium and shirt sponsorship rights is probably under market value at this point given the level the club has reached and the fact that they don't sponsor a whole host of other major clubs (a la Emirates). The Nike kit deal itself is clearly well below market value.

What is the level that the club has reached?

I think you are judging 'level' by where you finish in the table - which is not how this stuff works.

The biggest stadium naming rights deal in the world right now is about £13m/year. If City's is equal to that, it means the shirt sponsorship is worth £27m/year - which is up there with most of Europe's biggest clubs.

I don't know how else to say it...but yeah, you're just wrong on this one.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I don't really understand some sponsors. I'm sure the numbers make sense, but if I see Carlsberg on a shirt, I'm reminded that it exists, and it's something that I can see some people buying as a result.

Do people really fly with a specific airline or buy a specific car because it was advertised by a club in really basic terms? Obviously with them it's more of a long term thing, they stick around for a few years being shoved in people's faces and then they're the first thing that comes to mind when looking to blow a fuck-tonne of money, but there must be some damn precise calculations when they figure out what their sponsorship is worth.

Out of interest, do Chevy expect to improve their standing in the UK, where I barely see any of their cars, or are they really trying to get a firmer grip of the American auto market with extra UK sales being a bonus?

Chevrolet want to get into Asia where they sell next to no cars at all

Alot of Unites lucrative sponsorship is because we are an absolute behemoth in Asia, half our credit cards reside there.

Clegg

Cleverley has less than a year left on his contract. Forgot all about about that tbh. I'm not sure he's done enough to convince LvG that he deserves a new one either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom