• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Cleverley has less than a year left on his contract. Forgot all about about that tbh. I'm not sure he's done enough to convince LvG that he deserves a new one either.

Rumours today Everton want him for 8m

Clegg

Out of interest, do Chevy expect to improve their standing in the UK, where I barely see any of their cars, or are they really trying to get a firmer grip of the American auto market with extra UK sales being a bonus?
I know Cola already mentioned it, but just to reiterate its the Asian market which Chevrolet is targeting with its United sponsorship.

I don't really understand some sponsors. I'm sure the numbers make sense, but if I see Carlsberg on a shirt, I'm reminded that it exists, and it's something that I can see some people buying as a result.

Do people really fly with a specific airline or buy a specific car because it was advertised by a club in really basic terms? Obviously with them it's more of a long term thing, they stick around for a few years being shoved in people's faces and then they're the first thing that comes to mind when looking to blow a fuck-tonne of money, but there must be some damn precise calculations when they figure out what their sponsorship is worth.

Out of interest, do Chevy expect to improve their standing in the UK, where I barely see any of their cars, or are they really trying to get a firmer grip of the American auto market with extra UK sales being a bonus?
Well General Motors, who own Chevrolet, also own Vauxhall who is their main UK manufacturer. I'd guess the Chevrolet deal is for Asia.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
There was a great article that I totally forgot who wrote, its probably from the Times, that came around when LvG was having a dig at the schedule of our current tour. The article went into alot of detail about our obligations over the next few years, re-visiting Asia is one of them, im not sure its contractual but its mutually understood that all of our sponsors want us to go back there. They name checked Chevrolet, Addidas and our Watch sponsor.

ewsbcss.jpg

-

Meier

What is the level that the club has reached?

I think you are judging 'level' by where you finish in the table - which is not how this stuff works.

The biggest stadium naming rights deal in the world right now is about £13m/year. If City's is equal to that, it means the shirt sponsorship is worth £27m/year - which is up there with most of Europe's biggest clubs.

I don't know how else to say it...but yeah, you're just wrong on this one.

The level is that the club is considered one of the top clubs in the world. Whether or not you agree with that is fine, I'm not going to argue with someone about it. But it is the case -- certainly a top 10 club worldwide in terms of status and name recognition in 2014. If your figures are accurate, then you're right -- it's probably not undervalued and just about fair market price. The Chevy deal for United's shirt and their Adidas deal will definitely lead to higher values across the board of top tier teams though.

Jarnet87

8 Million pounds for Cleverly would be a dream come true, not gonna happen. They got Gibbo from us for half a million or so and he was 5 times the player Cleverlols is.

The level is that the club is considered one of the top clubs in the world. Whether or not you agree with that is fine, I'm not going to argue with someone about it. But it is the case -- certainly a top 10 club worldwide in terms of status and name recognition in 2014. If your figures are accurate, then you're right -- it's probably not undervalued and just about fair market price. The Chevy deal for United's shirt and their Adidas deal will definitely lead to higher values across the board of top tier teams though.

Point was simply that City's commercial revenue is not undervalued in any way, it's way over valued and we can guess why. Same as PSG. Two clubs who have suddenly started to make as much/more money than Bayern/Madrid/Barca/United.

jesalr

Imagine if City hadn't won the lottery

Imagine it

edit: Actually, a lottery isn't a good metaphor since they never even had to take the risk of buying a ticket. It's more like a benefactor just giving you a load of unearned money

It's obviously not this straightforward, but it always annoyed my that just as Liverpool fell out of the CL and we were getting better as a club, City had an incredible cash injection. Who knows, maybe without City ahead of us every season from 10/11, we could have been in the CL most seasons. Maybe we could have held on to Modric or Bale a little longer.

Mr Cola

So that means Shaw has started one game this tour

He may never get back into the first team :eek:

It's obviously not this straightforward, but it always annoyed my that just as Liverpool fell out of the CL and we were getting better as a club, City had an incredible cash injection. Who knows, maybe without City ahead of us every season from 10/11, we could have been in the CL most seasons. Maybe we could have held on to Modric or Bale a little longer.

I wish I could blame them fully, but we were legit dogshit for 4 years and didn't deserve to be anywhere near the CL spots :p

PowderedToast

I don't really understand some sponsors. I'm sure the numbers make sense, but if I see Carlsberg on a shirt, I'm reminded that it exists, and it's something that I can see some people buying as a result.

Do people really fly with a specific airline or buy a specific car because it was advertised by a club in really basic terms? Obviously with them it's more of a long term thing, they stick around for a few years being shoved in people's faces and then they're the first thing that comes to mind when looking to blow a fuck-tonne of money, but there must be some damn precise calculations when they figure out what their sponsorship is worth.

constant brand exposure has an effect on your subconscious. even if the affiliation is small or never really shows itself, it's still there. there's a multitude of benefits to having your brand advertised and very few drawbacks.

dc89

Just for perspective, this is how the latest released commercial numbers look in the PL.

1) Manchester United - £153m
2) Manchester City - £143m
3) Liverpool - £98m
4) Chelsea - £84m
5) Arsenal - £44m

The idea City's is under valued is just...well...it's totally insane haha.

Based Soriano. I was laughed at when I said he would do for us what he did for Barca. It's happening...

You know who also considered themselves a sleeping giant?

Leeds fans.

Well we have been there. But we came back.

Young has a couple of years on his contract yet. Doubt they will take about renewals until further into the season assuming he is doing well.

I do think he has done enough to survive the chop though. Fair enough, he has buckled down and done well in pre-season in the games and in training by all accounts.

Meier

It's just a long-term advertising deal really. I don't think they necessarily expect someone to buy their car (well, Chevy may after they paid so much), fly on their airline or drink their beer because it's on a certain team's shirt -- but it's about keeping the brand in the public consciousness and putting it in front of eyeballs. Realistically, most people would never be able to afford to fly on Emirates or Etihad, so they'd never hear of these companies at all without their sports sponsorship deals.

In the US, a company has to pay like $4m or so for 30 seconds of ad time during the Super Bowl. Since it's important to get it right, maybe they spend another $1-2m on conceptualizing and developing the ad. So that's $4-5m for 30 seconds because maybe 100 million Americans are watching. The reach of a football team throughout the world is pretty significant.

Salvadora

Young has a couple of years on his contract yet. Doubt they will take about renewals until further into the season assuming he is doing well.

I do think he has done enough to survive the chop though. Fair enough, he has buckled down and done well in pre-season in the games and in training by all accounts.
Thought he was on his final year like Clevs.

Been impressed by him.

Hopefully his cheating will be beat of him by LvG too.

Clegg

Valencia is the one we should be looking to offload tbf. But we just gave him a new contract :/

Nani needs to be binned asap.

Mr Cola

Money well spent.

But hey, if Young can do the work he's being paid a ton to do, that works out for United doesn't it?

It does but it would be another indictment on our transfer policy, spending close to 60m on two players in 2 years that cant get into the team.

We really really need to be better in the market.

jesalr

I wish I could blame them fully, but we were legit dogshit for 4 years and didn't deserve to be anywhere near the CL spots :p

The only thing that gives me hope is that you were dogshit for 4 years and then turned in to monsters last year. Sure, you had Suarez, but we have Soldado, so it's kinda the same. :p

Mr Cola

The only thing that gives me hope is that you were dogshit for 4 years and then turned in to monsters last year. Sure, you had Suarez, but we have Soldado, so it's kinda the same. :p

Suarez and one of the best young English prospects since Rooney, and Sturridge finding form.

Clegg

It does but it would be another indictment on our transfer policy, spending close to 60m on two players in 2 years that cant get into the team.

We really really need to be better in the market.
Shaw will be a fine signing. Just need to adapt to the system and get on the managers good side. Fellaini is a failure and needs to go for his own same as much as United's.

Those Arsenal numbers are off seeing as we are now on 30/17 for puma/emirates plus whatever else we have.

And those Man City numbers are a joke, way over market value just like PSG.

Mr Cola

Shaw will be a fine signing. Just need to adapt to the system and get on the managers good side. Fellaini is a failure and needs to go for his own same as much as United's.

But we still got Mata out of last season

Partial credit

Only credit

And LvG loves him too

Would he ever play Shinji and Mata in the same team with our current formation? Probably not :(

Salvadora

Those Arsenal numbers are off seeing as we are now on 30/17 for puma/emirates plus whatever else we have.

And those Man City numbers are a joke, way over market value just like PSG.
Think, if anything, we're undervalued.

Our commercial team should really be doing more given out global appeal. The crowds on the Asian tour, for example, were insane.

But we still got Mata out of last season

Partial credit

Only credit

And LvG loves him too

Would he ever play Shinji and Mata in the same team with our current formation? Probably not :(

I think there's scope for Kagawa playing as "number 6" or "number 8" in Van Gaal speak. I reckon that's what Van Gaal hopes for anyway. Not sure it would work though. He just looks so much better playing in his favoured role. Some of his touches and passes have been really good on the tour. I hope they keep him - we need him to sell the Uniqlo shirts.

Mr Cola

Soldado and Lennon, and Kane finding form

no sweat :p

When Lennon first started to get good I thought he would be a talisman for England in generations to come, what in gods named happened? Also Kane was alright I thought. Soldado is your special teams player, sub him on for the penos.

Think, if anything, we're undervalued.

Our commercial team should really be doing more given out global appeal. The crowds on the Asian tour, for example, were insane.

The truth is that we fucked up big by going a decade without winning. Had we been winning we would have had a lot more value to us.

Hopefully, during this 5 year period with Puma we go back to winning and can have a bidding war. Nike saw little value in paying us more despite being their 3rd best shirt seller.

inky

Unless they can sign an absolute beast of a CM behind them, nope, it's not going to happen =(

Shaw is young, and heck, I wouldn't be surprised if LVG very cunningly changed the focus on him from filling the big starter LB hole left by Evra, to fight for a place with young in a new position, which he can absolutely do.

I's a different kind of pressure for such a young player, but I think one that can in the end be easier to fight through for him.

Or maybe he is just fat. He'll be fine either way, he's jsut a little lost at LWB atm.

Meier

Point was simply that City's commercial revenue is not undervalued in any way, it's way over valued and we can guess why. Same as PSG. Two clubs who have suddenly started to make as much/more money than Bayern/Madrid/Barca/United.

That's not accurate about City for what it's worth. Here are the figures from the 12/13 season per Deloitte (I sorted them by the top 10 from glancing through the list):

PSG: €254.7
Bayern Munich: €237.1
Madrid: €211.6
United: €177.9
Barcelona: €176.8
City: €166.9
Liverpool: €114
Dortmund: €109
Chelsea: €97.9
AC Milan: €96.2

City have a lot of commercial partners. The club is following the model that Soriano ran at Barcelona (and that United operate under). It seems silly to add an official life insurance partner in Indonesia and who knows what else, but if it gets you another €1-2m a year then so be it. If Arsenal and Chelsea made the effort, they could grow their non shirt/stadium sponsorship deals significantly too as they have the cache.

Salvadora

The truth is that we fucked up big by going a decade without winning. Had we been winning we would have had a lot more value to us.

Hopefully, during this 5 year period with Puma we go back to winning and can have a bidding war. Nike saw little value in paying us more despite being their 3rd best shirt seller.
Nike is a strange one.

Considering the clients they have lost, United/Arsenal/others, I'd imagine they are not investing as much in the footballing side of things.

That's not accurate about City for what it's worth. Here are the figures from the 12/13 season per Deloitte (I sorted them by the top 10 from glancing through the list):

PSG: €254.7
Bayern Munich: €237.1
Madrid: €211.6
United: €177.9
Barcelona: €176.8
City: €166.9
Liverpool: €114
Dortmund: €109
Chelsea: €97.9
AC Milan: €96.2

City have a lot of commercial partners. The club is following the model that Soriano ran at Barcelona (and that United operate under). It seems silly to add an official life insurance partner in Indonesia and who knows what else, but if it gets you another €1-2m a year then so be it.

How much of that is not family owned companies giving Man City over inflated contracts? Plus everyone knows PSG contracts are a fucking joke

Nike is a strange one.

Considering the clients they have lost, United/Arsenal/others, I'd imagine they are not investing as much in the footballing side of things.

One of the rumours of why they didn't want to pay us more and pulled out is because they were gonna focus on locking down United, but then United had a shocking year and then Adidas blew them out and every other contract in history out of the water.

Had they known about Adidas, I am sure they would have offered us more, but we should have been winning more to give them more of an incentive.

I'd say the best tbh

Rooney was a freak though, bossing things at 16

Jack Wilshere was the best since Rooney. Only English player good enough for Barca, until injuries derailed his progress.

jesalr

When Lennon first started to get good I thought he would be a talisman for England in generations to come, what in gods named happened? Also Kane was alright I thought. Soldado is your special teams player, sub him on for the penos.

He coasted on his pace and being able to beat a high line of defenders. The better we got as a team, the further back teams defended. It meant he had to play in front of a defence, and had no room to get around them. His crossing was always weak, and something he never got better at, same with his shooting. The errors and issues he had as a kid that you thought he could train through, he never did, so he never grew as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom