• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Xavi wont leave unless BC forks over the 8 million left in the contract, personally I want him to stay but as a backup, not as a starter. Unlike Puyol he wont step aside and let the team regenerate.

Yeah, seems like he'll stay through until winter at least according to the Spanish press. He'd have to go on loan anyway, so this probably works out just as well for NYCFC.

Meier

10544401_935669173117145_2457916023157109669_n.jpg

Kits of Cultural Leonesa in the segunda division.

I'm dying here.

omgkitty

Click on help at the top of the page, go to 'contact us.' Say there's a problem with an order, choose your PS4, and then ask to start an online chat. I explained the problem with the controller and they said they couldn't replace it, but would give me some money back to replace it myself...

They told me to contact Sony. FUCKERS!

Tubie

It used to be Franco's little play thing; having a dictator who wants glory on the football pitch to distract from problems at home and represent Spain itself in European championships put the resources of an entire state behind one football team helps. Now it seems not much has changed, they can spend money like it's Monopoly money and get the state to turn a blind eye to it then get them to underwrite the whole lot. Officially the club members own it but it's a club with people in high places.

Eh, I could cope with that. Better that than a fascist sponsored club lording it over us like their success was anything other than dictator's propaganda tool.

As long as that crappy fascist club behaves like they have infinite money it will keep getting used. :)

What the fuck was the club supposed to do when Franco came in to power? tell a dictator to fuck off?

Zabojnik

Yeah? I thought people hated it! How good are we talking here

I couldn't say yet, only seen two eps. The victorian/dark atmosphere gives it a distinct vibe, Eva Green and Timothy Dalton are great, production values seem pretty high as well. Might turn silly going forward, seeing the mixture of fictional characters involved, but for now ... not bad, not bad at all.

Penny Dreadful was alright. Eva Green is superb in it and there are some decent scenes/other performances (I liked Josh Hartnett too) but the general plot progression is quite dull and there are some shit characters in it. Sometimes it feels as if nothing is happening and often times nothing ever happens of interest. The only plots of interest to me involved Eva Green and Josh Hartnett actually. The suggestions towards future plot aspects/characters are promising though.

Will watch season 2 when that debuts but otherwise it was a very up and down show.

I can see why you would say that, but I actually like shows like that, as long as the characters are interesting and the writing is top notch. The opposite of what happens in Arrow (let's cram all we can in an episode!) is not a bad thing in my book. Of course, not having to wait a week for the next episode to air changes how one percieves the progression of a show a bit.

Salvadora

Looks new information on our close relationship to the police has come to light :/
Police received free tickets for eight years to watch a Premier League football team, it has been disclosed.
Dozens of officers and staff had use of six Arsenal season tickets provided by the North London club.
The arrangement is provoking fresh concerns about the close relationship between the football club and the Metropolitan Police.
Earlier this month it emerged that star player Mesut Ozil faces questions over how three Scotland Yard detectives ended up in his private box at a match.
Just 24 hours earlier some of them were tasked with speaking to him after his car collided with a photographer outside his home.
Baroness Jenny Jones told Mail Online: “Accepting hospitality like this gives the impression that not everyone is equal before the law and that favours can be bought.”
The arrangement with the club began in 2005 when Arsenal agreed to hand over six season tickets every year to police in the London borough of Islington.
The sought-after seats were handed out on a ‘match-by-match’ basis to officers and staff as a reward for good work, the Met said.
It is not known how much the tickets were worth, but the cheapest Arsenal season ticket for the 2014/15 season is £985 and the most expensive almost £2,000.
The hospitality, worth tens of thousands of pounds, was abruptly stopped when a new area chief took charge last year.
The season ticket deal was revealed as questions over the conduct of Arsenal and World Cup final star Ozil remain unanswered.
The German player faces being questioned on his return to London over the presence of three detectives in his private box at a match in February.
Just 24 hours earlier a police inquiry was launched when a photographer claimed he was assaulted by the star after being hit by his car.
Two of the detectives at the match are believed to have been asked to assist that investigation which was dropped within weeks.
Officials in a traffic office wrote to the photographer to tell him the inquiry was over and blamed the lack of ‘independent evidence’.
All three detectives, who were initially suspended from frontline duties, face being questioned under caution later this month for potential misconduct.
Colleagues insist the trio are guilty of nothing more than ‘stupidity’ but chiefs are concerned their actions may have brought the force into disrepute.
The tickets were not the only gestures of goodwill from Arsenal to the police force.
It donated a £640 camera to its football liaison team and gave police use of two vehicles, a Citroen Dispatch van and a Saab car.
The force also paid hundreds of thousands of pounds towards the cost of policing matches at its Emirates ground.
The misconduct probe is a potential embarrassment for Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, a Sheffield Wednesday fan who regularly plays competitive 5-a-side.
Earlier this month he led a conference at the Emirates Stadium for some of the force’s most senior officers.
Up to 800 chief inspectors and superintendents attended an event at the Arsenal ground aimed at improving the working culture of the force.
A Met spokesman told the Telegraph: “Between 2005 and early 2013, Arsenal FC donated approximately six season tickets per year to Islington Borough.
“These tickets were used on a match by match basis to recognise good work and community spirited work undertaken by police officers and staff and members of the public.
“The allocation of the tickets was recorded on the borough and there was senior officer oversight.
“In February 2013 the arrangement was reviewed by the new borough commander and stopped.”
An Arsenal spokesman said: “We have always worked closely with the Metropolitan Police who are hugely important to our activities and the safe running of our matches.
“The tickets were provided for the force to use at their discretion under the oversight of a senior officer.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...tickets-to-Arsenal-games-for-eight-years.html

Hope we don't get in trouble.

tbm24

What the fuck was the club supposed to do when Franco came in to power? tell a dictator to fuck off?

It just is the way it is. Regardless I'm somewhat concerned about how Madrid is going to do this season now that they are essentially forced to start Hames. As far as I've been able to tell, he's not all that defensively minded. I feel the back 4 might have their work cut out for them. Main reason I'm sad Isco seems to be getting the shaft, he puts in work and tracks back. We'll see what happens.

Tubie

It just is the way it is. Regardless I'm somewhat concerned about how Madrid is going to do this season now that they are essentially forced to start Hames. As far as I've been able to tell, he's not all that defensively minded. I feel the back 4 might have their work cut out for them. Main reason I'm sad Isco seems to be getting the shaft, he puts in work and tracks back. We'll see what happens.

di Maria has never been good defensively, and it worked last season.

I'm worried too, but somehow Ancelotti will make it work.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
United Gaf, how you want us to line up in our first pre-season?

Goalkeepers: David De Gea, Anders Lindegaard, Ben Amos, Sam Johnstone

Defenders: Rafael, Jonny Evans, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Luke Shaw, Tyler Blackett, Michael Keane, Reece James

Midfielders: Ander Herrera, Tom Cleverley, Darren Fletcher, Ashley Young, Wilfried Zaha, Shinji Kagawa, Juan Mata, Antonio Valencia, Nani, Jesse Lingard

Striker: Danny Welbeck, Wayne Rooney, Will Keane

This is mine :eek:

gA7DVMP.png

omgkitty

I've been late to work a lot and then yesterday my boss told me if I continued she'd let me go. Later in the day right before she left, she heard me complaining about a phone call I'd had with a user and she pulled me aside to tell me how unprofessional I was being and that I should consider finding work somewhere else.

Tubie

Pls it's not like the current owners of Valencia were doing any better with the club. If Lim completes their new stadium, remove their debt and bring some good talent to Valencia then it's not bad. Besides he doesn't fully own the club does he? I'm not sure how much he owns of it. Rich people buy clubs and invest money in them, it's just how it works. Some day a super rich man will buy Benfica, allowing you to keep your best players in the summer while buying great players. You'll finally win Europa League.

He will own 70% of the shares. Enough to do whatever the fuck he wants. I like Valencia and hope they do better with him.

Elchele

Pretty good read:

Year Zero: How Germany restructured itself – and why it couldn't work elsewhere

The Germans also realised that finding a talent isn't enough. You won't win much if you teach him an outdated game – for instance the sweeper system based on man-marking, which was still widely used in the Bundesliga as late as the turn of the century.

And so a lot of money also went into schooling coaches, at both the grassroots level and the top of the talent heap. At the pinnacle were the centres of excellence, run by the professional clubs.

Finally, there was a change in the football culture. It was mainly brought about by a number of young, innovative coaches who had not necessarily been star players themselves.

Jürgen Klopp is probably the most famous these days, but there were and are many others, from Ralf Rangnick and Thomas Tuchel, to, of course, Joachim Löw.

The club policy was very simply to buy big in order to be competitive in Europe. In fact, Dortmund were so uninterested in talent development that they came close to being thrown out of the Bundesliga.

This leads us to the third, and by far most important, reason why the German clubs eventually changed their ways: they were forced to do so.

Under the German league rules, clubs are granted a license for professional football only if they meet certain regulations, most of them having to do with finances. This is the famous annual licensing process, often cited as a major reason for the German clubs' economic stability.
Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...it-couldnt-work-elsewhere#UD1wtLrbwWZVURei.99

Zabojnik

I've been late to work a lot and then yesterday my boss told me if I continued she'd let me go. Later in the day right before she left, she heard me complaining about a phone call I'd had with a user and she pulled me aside to tell me how unprofessional I was being and that I should consider finding work somewhere else.

Looks like you've only got yourself to blame? Do you not give a shit about this job at all? Sure looks like it. :)

damn 870 for a season ticket? I would be a lifetime ticket holder,

here in the states I have to fork over a "donation" plus 1400 for shitty college football tickets.

EmiPrime

Let's not pretend that it was anything other than a mutually beneficial arrangement. What is also disgusting is the complete lack of shame for what happened ("la decima") and the fact that contemporary Real Madrid still very much represents the traditions and nationalism that Franco built upon including its connections to government and the not insignificant fascist supporter base. RM is the club of the establishment from royal family to dictatorship to government.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
MEN saying Woodward flew home to deal with Hummels and De Vrij

omgkitty

Looks like you've only got yourself to blame? Do you not give a shit about this job at all? Sure looks like it. :)

I'm not saying it isn't my fault. I hate my job. I'm still good at what I do, so that's always sort of outweighed my other issues until now I guess. The being late is uncalled for but me getting in trouble for complaining to a coworker is stupid. Everyone complains about their job and when you talk to stupid people all day you're gonna have something to complain about.

Zabojnik

De WRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

/Jojo

I'm not saying it isn't my fault. I hate my job. I'm still good at what I do, so that's always sort of outweighed my other issues until now I guess. The being late is uncalled for but me getting in trouble for complaining to a coworker is stupid. Everyone complains about their job and when you talk to stupid people all day you're gonna have something to complain about.

Well, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom