• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT5| Place for normal, legit banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

My problem with U2's new releases is that I keep expecting them to somehow come up with another Achtung Baby. Which makes no sense on a purely rational level, because they clearly don't have that spark in them anymore. The craftsmanship is still there, but the edge is gone. Has been for a long time now. Pop was what, 1996?

Having said that, Songs of Innocence does sound like a pretty convincing return to form. Lyrically, it's a much stronger album than their past three, and it's kinda refreshing to not hear Edge's staple, delay heavy riffs for once. I've resigned myself to the idea that we'll never get another So Cruel a long time ago, so ... Yeah, I'm liking the new album more than I thought I would.
Their slower tunes are their best work these days. Cedars of Lebanon is a stone cold classic and Sleep like a Baby Tonight will be regarded as one in the future.

But yeah. I kill for one more Achtung Baby from them. So Cruel and Ultraviolet rank among their best ever songs.

Zabojnik

Listening to U2 is my personal idea of hell.

Even as I turned to the alternative & progressive side of rock / metal over the years and away from what U2 have become over the past 15 years, I never understood the hate. Up to Pop they were a fantastic band.

Wilbur

Banned
Talking more about the mega acts. Bowie and the Stones pretty much jacked it in post 1980. Dylan has gotten progressively worse with age and the less said about Metallica/RHCP, the better. All these performers have periods at the very tops of the game and then just putter out. U2's new stuff caught me off guard. Was expecting it to be crap.

Tom Waits is still going strong though. He gets better with every album.

Dylan has not got progressively worse with age :lol. He made two good albums from around 77 to 97, then made three stonewall classics in a row. His last album was good too.

Wilbur

Banned
Haven't listened to U2's newest yet, will download when I get home. But they're both overrated and underrated. Plenty of good tunes but were never one of the best bands in the world, and undeserving of the vitriol they get today.

Just watched Anchorman 2. Was...okay. Funniest bit was when
Ron went blind and stayed in a lighthouse and raised a shark

Cameos were fun too.

Clegg

Dylan has not got progressively worse with age :lol. He made two good albums from around 77 to 97, then made three stonewall classics in a row. His last album was good too.
Personal preference and all that, but I don't think he's made a genuinely good album in donkeys. Had what, Tempest in the 90's? That's about the extent of it imo. There's been an awful lot of mediocre to outright shit from Dylan since the 80's. Probably doesn't help that I can't actually listen to his newer stuff anymore. His voice drives me away.

Wilbur

Banned
Personal preference and all that, but I don't think he's made a genuinely good album in donkeys. Had what, Tempest in the 90's? That's about the extent of it imo. There's been an awful lot of mediocre to outright shit from Dylan since the 80's.

Tempest came out in 2012.

Time Out Of Mind (97), Love & Theft (2001) and Modern Times (2006) are all fantastic albums. Oh Mercy (89) was the best thing he'd done since Desire, but I agree there was a lot of poor shit in the ten or so years between the two albums.

When you make ten masterpieces in fifteen years though, that's forgivable.

edit: find it surprising his voice drives you away though considering you love Waits.

Zabojnik

Their slower tunes are their best work these days. Cedars of Lebanon is a stone cold classic and Sleep like a Baby Tonight will be regarded as one in the future.

But yeah. I kill for one more Achtung Baby from them. So Cruel and Ultraviolet rank among their best ever songs.

Agreed on Cedars of Lebanon, will have to give SLABT more time, but yeah, I really like it.

Achtung Baby is unreachable, especially if you know what was going on with the band at the time. That album was forged in the midst of the perfect storm of personal problems (Edge's marriage falling apart, for one), the frustration that came with trying to come up with a new sound / direction (and failing miserably at it for a good while, until one day things just clicked, as they sometimes do) and the coming of (mature) age of the band as a whole.

Clegg

Tempest came out in 2012.

Time Out Of Mind (97), Love & Theft (2001) and Modern Times (2006) are all fantastic albums. Oh Mercy (89) was the best thing he'd done since Desire, but I agree there was a lot of poor shit in the ten or so years between the two albums.

When you make ten masterpieces in fifteen years though, that's forgivable.
Time out of Mind is the one I was thinking of. The ones you mentioned I couldn't get into. Maybe because I was measuring it against his best work. It just fell very short of what I thought was good Bob Dylan.

Arnie

He had two.
He bought one and got his game delievered.
I did that with Halo Reach when I had similar delivery issues.

Saying that this was coming off the back of Halo 3 when I was still an adolescent living at home (I was due to leave for Uni the following week).

DC is a fully grown adult so should know better, especially when the game in question is fucking Destiny.

Esch

Banned
this gif is amazing :dead:

i wish i had just the bit of Van Gaal's disgust

WholeHelplessGoosefish.gif

Clegg

Dylan's sounds is a wail to me. Waits is like the growl of someone who's diet has consisted exclusively of a bottle of whiskey a day for 40 years. Again, personal preference and all that.

Pennywise

Pls, I like both good and shit movies. I can pretty much watch anything.

Well, then you've got the full range of shit ahead of you.

I did that with Halo Reach when I had similar delivery issues.

Saying that this was coming off the back of Halo 3 when I was still an adolescent living at home (I was due to leave for Uni the following week).

DC is a fully grown adult so should know better, especially when the game in question is fucking Destiny.

The didn't deliever it for two days and he has prime and stayed home, that's why he was so furious and got a refund for the game in the end.

Arnie

I think U2 are great.

Saw them at Glastonbury and I was off my tits.

All there really is to say on the matter.

Don't need to complicate things by comparing quavers. It's fucking sounds. They're good if you're inebriated.

Dylan's sounds is a wail to me. Waits is like the growl of someone who's diet has consisted exclusively of a bottle of whiskey a day for 40 years. Again, personal preference and all that.

I agree somewhat however 'man like me' is a phat song.

Bob Marley and the Wailers are the greatest musical band of all time so.... Wailing ain't all bad m8

Wilbur

Banned
I think U2 are great.

Saw them at Glastonbury and I was off my tits.

All there really is to say on the matter.

Don't need to complicate things by comparing quavers. It's fucking sounds. They're good if you're inebriated.

who is better

the Beatles

or

pitbull

Clegg

Don't know why I enjoy the sound of Waits' voice so much. By most standards it's pretty crap. But it's unique. Complements the way he writes his songs. Just completely bonkers stuff.

Wilbur

Banned
Don't know why I enjoy the sound of Waits' voice so much. By most standards it's pretty crap. But it's unique. Complements the way he writes his songs. Just completely bonkers stuff.

I like Waits' voice too.

My favourite voice is probably Jim Morrison's.

Arnie

who is better

the Beatles

or

pitbull
In my opinion?

I prefer The Beatles when I'm sober, so that'd be my answer. If I'm walking to work I'd rather listen to The Beatles.

If I've been drinking with friends and we're just wanting some music to dance around to before going out I'd absolutely rather listen to Pitbull.

Of course there are those who'd rather listen to Pitbull all of the time, who aren't wrong either. If they get more enjoyment from it then so be it.

You're loading that question like a fedora-clad Kyoufu wailing "dudebro", except the subject's music not video games.

Wilbur

Banned
In my opinion?

I prefer The Beatles when I'm sober, so that'd be my answer. If I'm walking to work I'd rather listen to The Beatles.

If I've been drinking with friends and we're just wanting some music to dance around to before going out I'd absolutely rather listen to Pitbull.

Of course there are those who'd rather listen to Pitbull all of the time, who aren't wrong either. If they get more enjoyment from it then so be it.

You're loading that question like a fedora-clad Kyoufu wailing "dudebro", except the subject's music not video games.

I was just being facetious really.

I really didn't expect that long an answer.

If I could poop in the face of any human alive, it would be Agger. But Bono straight afterwards.

We can all laugh at Axl Rose tho, right?

Even Yurt

Seeing his attempt at singing a few years ago was truly the most embarrasing thing I've ever seen (and I've seen Avril Lavigne trying to play live), fat bastard could barely breath and had to leave the stage every 10 minutes, where the rest of the band was just standing there doing solo stuff for 5 minutes, while he changed clothes and snorted a line backstage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom