• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT5| Place for normal, legit banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Smash Brothers is alright. Too hectic, it's just button mashing stuff that everyone seems to hate things like Ryse for. Pretty sure much of the love is only for the reason that you can slap Link with Pikachu and whatnot

El Topo

Smash Brothers is alright. Too hectic, it's just button mashing stuff that everyone seems to hate things like Ryse for. Pretty sure much of the love is only for the reason that you can slap Link with Pikachu and whatnot

Play against someone that's skilled and button mashing won't save your butt. That said, I like it as a "party game" type of game. Hectic, I admit that, but fun.

Linius

Smash Bros. is much more than just button mashing. But I'm sure you're just trolling.

Play against someone that's skilled and button mashing won't save your butt.

I usually end up in last place with friends, tell me about it

Linius

I played the Wii one online a few times, won some and lost some. I don't think it has a wonderfully deep fighting system, but then again I'm not a huge fan of fighting games anyway.

That explains I guess. People who think that fighter games are button mash games will get their butts kicked by skilled players. There's lots and lots of moves to learn etc etc It's not like Mario Kart in which it's a combination of skill and luck. If you're skilled at Smash Bros you normally don't lose to players who are not skilled.

Wilbur

Banned
That explains I guess. People who think that fighter games are button mash games will get their butts kicked by skilled players. There's lots and lots of moves to learn etc etc It's not like Mario Kart in which it's a combination of skill and luck. If you're skilled at Smash Bros you normally don't lose to players who are not skilled.

Don't like all that combo learning as well. Looking at street fighter where you have to memorise thirty seven button presses to appear anything other than competent. Might as well just button mash.

MGS3 (replay)
Metro 2033&LL
Dead Space 3 (lol)
Fez
The Witcher 2

What should I play?

The Witcher 2 in anticipation of TW3 or Metro 2033

Bit miffed that I haven't been sent demo codes given all the Nintendo stuff I've bought.

All the money I've given Microsoft and when they were "rewarding" people with free gifts just before XB1 launch they gave loads of people who weren't even buying one Killer Instinct free (not a download code either so no-one could give me one) and I got a fucking Fifa Ultimate Team pack that expired the day before launch and I couldn't redeem it because i'd already sold mine on 360

I mean I don't play fighters because they're shit but still, free is free.

Linius

Don't like all that combo learning as well. Looking at street fighter where you have to memorise thirty seven button presses to appear anything other than competent. Might as well just button mash.

Well yeah no wonder you're not interested in learning moves if you don't like fighting games to begin with :p

Linius

Smash Bros doesn't even have 37 button combos, it's not like that. I'm not a fan of it either, but wilbs pls research.

Yeah, it's not that complicated. But if you wanna get good at it you'll have to learn the characters. Know if they jump high, are speedy, what their special move is and how they play in general. Learn some good moves for offense and defense. You'll have to invest some time in the game to get better.

Think I'm gonna train a lot with Villager, so cool I can play smash with him :D

Wilbur

Banned
Well yeah no wonder you're not interested in learning moves if you don't like fighting games to begin with :p

I like them in concept. Like the idea of beating others to a pulp. I think they look cool. I like ripping people's skulls out in mortal kombat. I like taking control of donkey kong and throwing people off platforms.

I just find them relatively empty, enjoyable for an hour or two experiences, and the fact that to master them you have to memorise button upon button upon button in the space of three seconds - therefore, becoming some sort of advanced button masher where you're pressing things in a specific order but at a speed faster than one of bud's wanks - is a tad silly. They're alright. It's fun to play with my little brother for a while.

edit: I have played lots or smash brothers lol. We have the N64 and the Wii versions. I just don't think they're great games.

Linius

I like them in concept. Like the idea of beating others to a pulp. I think they look cool. I like ripping people's skulls out in mortal kombat. I like taking control of donkey kong and throwing people off platforms.

I just find them relatively empty, enjoyable for an hour or two experiences, and the fact that to master them you have to memorise button upon button upon button in the space of three seconds - therefore, becoming some sort of advanced button masher where you're pressing things in a specific order but at a speed faster than one of bud's wanks - is a tad silly. They're alright. It's fun to play with my little brother for a while.

You can always smash Dean in real life if he's becoming a better button masher. Don't let Dean and Lloyd ever play against each other.

FootballFan

You haven't played smash bros I don't think. No offence.

inky

to master them you have to memorise button upon button upon button in the space of three seconds - therefore, becoming some sort of advanced button masher where you're pressing things in a specific order but at a speed faster than one of bud's wanks - is a tad silly.

Fuck, I don't even like the game, but this is factually wrong. I mean, I'm sure you know that already so whatever... I blame myself for taking the bait.

Wilbur

Banned
Fuck, I don't even like the game, but this is factually wrong. I mean, I'm sure you know that already so whatever...

Talking about fighting games in general, not just smash brothers.

Which I'll admit isn't on the same level as something like street fighter, but there's still something far too fast paced and hectic about it, which invariably leads to just banging buttons in an effort to gain any lost superiority.

Same with things like bayonetta. You either need to know all the combos and whatnot, or you're just mashing buttons. It's either a casual, disorganised mess, or you need to put time into playing it properly and shit. I don't have the patience.

I know loads of people love smash brothers, so I know I'm in the minority.

That is all I shall say on the matter. Off to watch a documentary on banjo kazooie

subtles

Any NA footygaffers have a spare Smash code? I think I was 50ish points off Plat. but completely forgot about it due to the WC. D:

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
subtles likes Smash Bros? Smash Bros the coolest and best game confirmed.

Talking about fighting games in general, not just smash brothers.
you know where you can't mash buttons and win?

1000x1500px-LL-9053565f_211420_2013-11-01_00483.png

welcome+to+dark+souls+_4a1213b3d9904cf20c0a449e8d53621f.jpg

Dead Space 3 was free on PS plus. How bad is it?

So bad that you'd demand a refund

noal

Banned
I've been on mobile GAF for so long that this is the first time on my PC for about a year and...

...My avatar is so small!

:(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
IIRC Dead Space 3 starts with you running in some urban City

and you fight human soldiers/freedom fighters(?)

and then a helicopter follows you around trying to kill you, or help you, I don't know

but you end up jumping on it, off a moving train.

and then a helicopter follows you around trying to kill you, or help you, I don't know

I thought Dead Space was a horror series?

Well I suppose it sounds like you still got a fright anyway

Everything that was good about Dead Space sucked out it and instead they poured in a healthy dollop of designed by committee tedious action with all the subtly of a Mike Tyson uppercut

So bad that you'd demand a refund

You've actually made me want to play it now. It's like looking over at the scene of a car accident to see how badly they fucked up.

Sounds like Uncharted 2.

Labadal

I've been on mobile GAF for so long that this is the first time on my PC for about a year and...

...My avatar is so small!

:(

I love mobile gaf. It feels so much better to browse the forums on the phone and you can do it on the go. If I only posted from my PC, I would probably have half the posts I have now.

#mobilegaffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom