• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT5| Place for normal, legit banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack cw

To be honest. I always wanted another MGS1/2 game. Tight area. No jungle and no desert. Fuck open world. I want a linear experience just like MGS1. I want a good story.

And I would rather play as Young Snake. Fuck Big Boss.

Yeah. There. I said it.

Fuck. Big. Boss.

I'm with you. MGS4 could have been GOAT but now we get more and more BB games until Kojima shows the balls and reboots the saga or remakes MG1 and 2 with Solid Snake until he reboots the saga.

To be honest. I always wanted another MGS1/2 game. Tight area. No jungle and no desert. Fuck open world. I want a linear experience just like MGS1. I want a good story.

And I would rather play as Young Snake. Fuck Big Boss.

Yeah. There. I said it.

Fuck. Big. Boss.

I think it is coming. I see kojima remaking and retconning Metal Gear 1 and 2 and then being done with the series. It is why I hope the end of MGS5 will introduce a new recruit named David and then finish.

What was that 17 years ago? lol

It does piss me off that Wilshere smokes when the club don't want him to. He earns so much a week and he can't make a small sacrifice.

I had assumed that all clubs have the players in hotels the night before the games and give them a prepared meal. It is why the chips things shocked me.

I'm sure they're not full fat drenched in oil chips. And United do, like all clubs, have the players stay at the hotel overnight etc etc. Fergie used to take their phones away.

Don't get me wrong, that players can moan about something like that pretty much sums up the creatures they are these days - but I'm sure a part of it is that they just wanted anything to moan about.

Blablurn

I'm with you. MGS4 could have been GOAT but now we get more and more BB games until Kojima shows the balls and reboots the saga or remakes MG1 and 2 with Solid Snake until he reboots the saga.

Exaaactly.

God. I remember how often he said that he wants to do smth new. But he aint got the balls.

Or Konami is threatining Kojima because MGS games without his help will be received with less hype aka less money.

I guess by giving him Kojima Productions in the first place Konami did everything to satisfy Kojima. Even if it means developing more MGS games. At least he got his own studio now.

Still. From a career point of view he still is there where he was 20 years ago.

dc89

BxkdJtsIgAEZQor.jpg

I think it was The Horse who said Blind's passing stats were pointless. The Horse is correct - I'd guess a good 90% of them are backwards or sideways.

Hixx

BxkdJtsIgAEZQor.jpg

I think it was The Horse who said Blind's passing stats were pointless. The Horse is correct - I'd guess a good 90% of them are backwards or sideways.

You don't mind that from your holding midfielder. Why they are pointless is because QPR's pressing was non-existent.

-

Ricky Alvarez had 100% pass accuracy against Spurs.

All eighteen passes.

God we were so bad.

Oh I'm not denying that we've been dicks the past decade, I'm just saying that we haven't exactly harvested too many players from German top teams lately. The past decade overall? Sure, but not all acquisitions (e.g. Schlaudraff) were really to weaken the opposition, but maybe just to get (potentially) great talents.

Now back when Bremen and Leverkusen were still great, those were the days when Bayern just went "Well, let's get Lucio" or "Might as well get Klose".

Well, to be honest, I just think you guys have been unlucky that Völler is in a full "Fuck Bayern" mode lately :lol

You had very much liked to sign Vidal and/or Bender. And looking at a possible Lewa, Götze and Vidal/Bender to Bayern, that's just as bad as, say, ten years ago. I also don't see a bit of a difference in signings like Rode/Kirchhoff and Schlaudraff/Baumjohann. Overall, your transfer policy has only changed slightly after our second league title (buying/spending more) and then a bit more drastic when Pep took over (Bernat, Thiago, Alonso).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
God we were so bad.

Be happy, you got a point despite being shat on. You kept working until the end.

If we had just blocked Johnson's shot properly it would have been a complete hiding though. Pochettino still has a lot of bad habits to beat out of the team.

Maybe you are right in terms of its placement in the game, but it has never been a song tha i just want to pull up on youtube and listen to, like I find myself doing with other songs in the franchise.

In fact I am gonna listen to Heavens Divide now, that Donna Burke voice

As for Rio, lol, i know he has to sell books, but United must have such a shit culture if players are angry that they couldn't eat chips before a match. Give me 40k a week and I would give up pizza, coke and anything else they want me to.

I think the point is that Moyes took a scatter gun approach to changing things with no real purpose behind them.
He failed at management 101, and that says it all.

Poor Maxi Lopez, he must have been so happy to have scored yesterday, and then finds out Icardi got a hat trick and went home to bang his wife.

I think the point is that Moyes took a scatter gun approach to changing things with no real purpose behind them.
He failed at management 101, and that says it all.

The purpose was to make sure Rooney didn't have a heart attack :p. 100 quid says it was him who was the first to complain.

The full "extract" puts things into a little bit more perspective re Moyes not really giving a clear direction or message to the players.

This bit was interesting and I almost find it hard to believe:

But before the game, Moyes said that depending how Bayern played, we could use three formations!

He’d let the lads know which one when the game got underway. Danny Welbeck was going to play on the right... or it could be on the left... or behind.

Shinji Kagawa was definitely going to play behind, or the left...

Also this chips thing is just hilarious:

And guess what happened after Moyes left and Ryan Giggs took over?

Moyes has been gone about 20 minutes, we’re on the bikes warming up for the first training session without him and one of the lads says: “You know what? We’ve got to get onto Giggsy.

“We’ve got to get him to get us our f***ing chips back.”

Hahahahaha

Apologies for lengthy post.

RIO FERDINAND reveals the inside story of the meltdown at Man Utd in Day Two of our exclusive extracts from his sensational autobiography.
The former Red Devils favourite also gives his blunt assessment of why David Moyes flopped at Old Trafford.

MOST of the problems with Moyes seemed to come together for the match that effectively ended our season.

Travelling to Bayern Munich (in the Champions League, having being dumped out of all of the domestic competitions) I was desperate to play and I knew I must be in the team — but on the morning of the game everything seemed wrong.

To practise our set pieces and stuff we went to a public park. It was bizarre! Local people started coming from all over to watch us and take photos and videos.

It was amateurish. I mean, why not just send Bayern an email or a DVD? But worse was to come.

As we’re standing there in public on this bit of grass, the manager just taps me on the shoulder and says: “Rio, listen, I’m not going to play you. I feel we need a bit more pace in the back line.”

It killed me. Inside I wanted to scream and grab him. I’m a team player, so I just had to bite my tongue and stand there. But it was probably the worst single moment I ever had at United.

I’d never been dropped for a big a game like that — and to drop that on me in front of everybody.

Several teammates told me later that my reaction was something they’d never seen from me before.

I went into a daze and even took my anger onto the coach as we waited for him to finish set pieces with the first 11.

I’d never shown my feelings like that in front of my teammates so openly before.

I knew my time at United was coming to an end.

Not being involved in the game, at least I had the chance to watch how it all went wrong.

Sir Alex Ferguson used to give simple, concise, clear instructions.

But before the game, Moyes said that depending how Bayern played, we could use three formations!

He’d let the lads know which one when the game got underway. Danny Welbeck was going to play on the right... or it could be on the left... or behind.

Shinji Kagawa was definitely going to play behind, or the left...

We lost and 13 days later Moyes was sacked — although it wasn’t done in a dignified way, with rumours circulating for almost two days before putting him out of his misery.

I had been very optimistic when he arrived. He was a genuine guy and no one could have worked harder.

He was always the first into the training ground and the last to leave.

He had tried to impose a vision but never seemed to be completely clear what that vision should be.

Unintentionally, he created a negative vibe where, with Fergie, it had always been positive.

He’d slowly lost us. I didn’t enjoy playing under him — long before the end, I’d decided to leave if he was going to stay.

But it wasn’t that Moyes had made one big mistake, it was an accumulation of mistakes.

The ban on chips
Footballers are creatures of habit and for as long as I can remember at United, it was a ritual that we had low-fat chips the night before a game. We loved our chips.

But Moyes comes in and, after his first week, he says we can’t have chips any more.

We weren’t eating badly. In fact, you’d struggle to find a more professional bunch of players than the ones at Manchester United in the summer of 2013.

United players were angry at chip ban
United players were angry at chip ban
Alamy
Then suddenly, for no good reason we could see, it was “no chips”. It’s not something to go to the barricades over. But all the lads were p***ed off.

And guess what happened after Moyes left and Ryan Giggs took over?

Moyes has been gone about 20 minutes, we’re on the bikes warming up for the first training session without him and one of the lads says: “You know what? We’ve got to get onto Giggsy.

“We’ve got to get him to get us our f***ing chips back.”

The pre-match walk
Moyes had us going for ten-minute walks together the morning of a game.

We’d never done it before, no one enjoyed it and no one liked it.

I know some people will think we’re being prima donnas but a lot of what we do in a team environment is a question of habit and feeling comfortable.

When lots of little things start changing it’s destabilising.

It doesn’t matter if you are a footballer or working behind a machine in a factory.

Cutting our wings off
A bigger problem was his approach to tactics. Moyes obviously wanted us to change our style... but we weren’t sure what he wanted to change it to.

On our pre-season tour he told me and a couple of others that he wanted us to play a narrow 4–2–2–2 with the wide players coming inside.

I remember thinking: “Have you not read up on this club’s history? This club was built on wingers. It only goes back about 100 years!”

Cristiano Ronaldo, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Steve Coppell, Willie Morgan, George Best... that’s quite a tradition.

Changing practices
Moyes’ innovations mostly led to negativity and confusion.

Under Fergie, for example, before a game on a Saturday we always played a small-sided match on a small pitch on the Friday.

We loved it.

We’d get into the mood for the following day by expressing ourselves, having fun, trying stuff out.

You got your touch right, experimented, got the feeling flowing.

We’d done that for years and suddenly — again for no good reason — Moyes changed it by making us play two-touch.

It was especially bad for the forwards who liked to practise their skills and shots and movements. They felt restricted.

You’d come off the pitch feeling blocked, frustrated, like you hadn’t had a chance to express yourself.

We complained but nothing changed. Then people wondered why we looked cramped and played without imagination.

Rio Ferdinand with Sir Alex Ferguson
In happier times with Fergie
Getty
Trying not to lose
For years we were one of the best teams at not conceding goals. Fergie’s approach was to focus on the opposition’s weakness.

Yet with Moyes it was always how to stop the other side.

Before every game, he made a point of showing us videos of how dangerous the other team could be.

On the morning of a game we’d spend half an hour on the training ground, drilling to stop them.

There was so much attention to the subject it suddenly became a worry — they must be f***ing good at this to have us spend all this time on it.

That was the different mentality — Moyes set us up not to lose whereas we’d been accustomed to playing to win.

Losing support
I think Moyes was entitled to bring some of his staff from Everton but it was an absolute mistake not to keep United stalwarts like the first team coach Mike Phelan, who knew all the quirks and sensitivities of the players.

It meant Moyes missed a lot of the subtleties about players and the culture of United.

Making us cross
The biggest confusion was over how he wanted us to move the ball forward.

Often he told us to play it long. Some players felt they kicked the ball long more than at any time in their career.

Sometimes our main tactic was the long, high, diagonal cross. It was embarrassing.

In one home game against Fulham we had 81 crosses! I was thinking, why are we doing this? Andy Carroll doesn’t play for us!

The whole approach was alien. Other times Moyes wanted lots of passing.

He’d say: “Today I want us to have 600 passes in the game. Last week it was only 400.”

Who cares? I’d rather score five goals from ten passes!

Small club mentality
Moyes brought the mentality of a smaller club. I never had the feeling Moyes knew how to speak like a Manchester United manager.

You’d pick up the paper and see him saying things like “we aspire to be like Man City” or Liverpool were favourites against us.

But this wasn’t Everton, it was Manchester United. We don’t want to survive. We want to win.

Rio Ferdinand's book
Ace's new book
It was as if he had no confidence in our abilities.

We doubted everything

The mixed messages were even worse. Sometimes he’d say, “I want you to pass the ball.”

Other days it was: “I don’t want you to pass the ball.”

What the f*** do you want us to do, man?

In the pool you heard a lot of guys complaining: “I just don’t know what he wants.”

He had me doubting everything.

In September, after Man City beat us 4–1, he called me and Vida (Nemanja Vidic) into a meeting with the video analysis guy.

“I want to show you a few things,” said the manager.

He had about 15 clips to show us but we never got past clip five.

We talked for about 40 minutes and came out none the wiser. It got pretty heated.

In one instance, Moyes said: “You could have been tighter on Sergio Aguero... ”

I pointed out he was the quickest player in the league, so if they’ve got players good enough to put the ball anywhere they want, going ultra-tight was asking for trouble.

Maybe he had a good point but he never got it across.

Me and Vida came out of there and looked at each other.

“I don’t know what the f*** he just asked us to do,” I said.

Avoiding confrontation
I had the feeling Moyes just wanted to cut the whole video meeting short because he didn’t like confrontation.

That was another difference. Fergie would dig out anyone if he felt it would improve the team — but bad feeling would never be allowed to fester.

Players left in the cold
A part of the art of being United manager is to rotate your squad and keep everyone happy.

At Everton and other clubs below the very top you’ve only probably got 13 players in the squad who believe they should be playing every week, based on their ability.

But at Manchester United you’ve got 22 to 25 internationals who have won titles and cups and they all believe they should start.

Take Chicharito (Javier Hernandez), he was happy for three years.

Moyes starts treating him differently and his confidence goes.

You need to give players the arm around the shoulder.

Players live to play and we feel disappointed and hurt if we’re not picked.

Looking back, I’d say David Moyes was unlucky. He and Manchester United were just oil and water somehow.

His ideas weren’t bad in themselves, they just didn’t fit with the group of players and the tradition and recent history of the club.

- Rio Ferdinand 2014. Extracted from #2Sides – My Autobiography, to be published by Blink Publishing on October 2, 2014, at £20.

First night of freshers, let's see:

Threw up in my room, cleaned it up fully this opening but the smell won't go, it got to the point that I literally sprayed lynx up my nose. Don't do this.

Got with a 3rd year after convincing her she did in fact want a toyboy

Andy Carroll was in the same club, my mate got pied for a high five so I shouted his ex'es name (I still have a picture of him going down on her. Oh Andy.). Not sure why I did that.

Missed my induction because I can barely function.

University, ladies and gentlemen.

FootballFan

I think the most recent MGS themes - Calling to the Night, Heaven's Divide - have really turned the cheese up to eleven. I reckon The Best is Yet To Come to be the best.

The best is yet to come is the best.

Bayern summary:

Werder Bremen finishes 2nd behind Bayern --> Buy their Klose
Stuttgart wins the league ---> buy their Gomez
Lose to Zenit in Europa ----> buy their CAPTAIN
Lose to Hamburger home & away ---> buy their best defender next season
Wolfsburg wins the league ---> tap up Džeko in every single transfer window till her runs away to England
Leverkusen finishes ABOVE Bayern --> successfully steal their coach and try (and fail) at stealing Vidal too
Borussia Dortmund wins the league twice ---> Steal every single player with a buyout clause in their squad for no reason, and announce signing their fat talisman one day before the final.
Current stolen coach on the verge of winning your first ever treble ---> announce replacing him with a flavour of the year manager a month before the season ends
Lose to Inter in a CL final ---> fail humanity

BLA PLS. AND YOU WONDER WHY PPL LIKE BVB

You forgot

Makaay hat trick vs Bayern ----> Makaay signs for Bayern.

Hahahahahahahahah fw got killed here.

Bet fw thinks this wasn't the same and it's hilarious they got him.

Fuck Dortmund. They'd be Bayern if they could be.
Welbeck wasn't the same, no. And I agree that Campbell was a cunt signing to make, but meh, he was young and wanted to win things. Whether that was with Arsenal or a different club.

Ferdinand should just shut his mouth

Moyes was shit at Man Utd, Ferdinand was shit as well over that period. Going on about it does nobody any favours, and just makes Ferdinand look a bit desperate for attention as his career winds down

Thankfully none of our players stuck the boot in on Rafa, Hodgson or Kenny, they're headlines I'd rather avoid no matter how legitimate their criticism.

He used to say a lot even when he was still employed by the club, I think that had something to do with why he was let go.

Scum

Welcome back to the country, Usho. Now start playinh 'ArryKane more.

Bloody hell, Moyes. It would have been tough to turn down, but you shouldn't have taken the job. D:

Threw up in my room, cleaned it up fully this opening but the smell won't go, it got to the point that I literally sprayed lynx up my nose. Don't do this.

Andy Carroll was in the same club, my mate got pied for a high five so I shouted his ex'es name (I still have a picture of him going down on her. Oh Andy.). Not sure why I did that.

You should take your education seriously Wyllyam.

Scum

Morning, Willi.
ieWQRwVFXk29S.png

Sounds like a solid day

L1NETT

Both our left backs our out for tomorrow

We are going to get wanked on

Really not looking forward to going to that soulless stadium

MK dons 3-1 to score 3+ more goals

#3sixtyd

Blablurn

Well no, it's not okay for any club to do it really. Just that Bayern have done it more recently and frequently.

At least we are trying to promote young German players. Cause this is also a part of our philosophy.

So don't come at me with your 1 dimensional thinking of someone who only got into football recently.

P44

The full "extract" puts things into a little bit more perspective re Moyes not really giving a clear direction or message to the players.

This bit was interesting and I almost find it hard to believe:

Also this chips thing is just hilarious:

Hahahahaha

I think Moyes really underestimated the human side of management by the sounds of it, it sounds like he thought he had football playing robots for a team. I don't think he ever really came off as a firm guy either, so I'm not surprised to see that was basically true. Then again, we've jumped to the polar opposite here, everyone knows the formation 5 weeks in advance for this years side, VG is so fucking rigid.

Jarnet87

"On our pre-season tour he told me and a couple of others that he wanted us to play a narrow 4–2–2–2 with the wide players coming inside."

wanted the wide players to come inside, played Young and Valencia on the wings.

iA1S7dn62Q3Kk.png

Does anyone actually believe the drivel that Rio is spouting?

He just wants to shift copies of his book, is all. He'd say Moyes was a cross dresser if it got him the Xmas No.1 Bestseller spot.

Does anyone actually believe the drivel that Rio is spouting?

He just wants to shift copies of his book, is all. He'd say Moyes was a cross dresser if it got him the Xmas No.1 Bestseller spot.

Well you see he can't do that or he'd be subject to a libel action, and we've already seen Moyes likes to issue those. So I'm inclined to believe he's not fabricating any of it.

K1LLER7

Marcos Rojo
Touches: 100
Total passes: 85
Passing accuracy: 91.8%
Crosses: 3

Thought he was very good yesterday. Looked solid and calm on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom