• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT5| Place for normal, legit banter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't drink and I can confirm that that's all true, except you don't necessarily end up in a better position in life.

Of course not, I can only speak for myself. Without it I'd have far less of a social life so my time would be spent doing work etc etc

Alcohol is just fantastic in social situations but fuck is it dangerous, after uni I'm going to cut it out almost entirely. That's what I tell myself at least.

EmiPrime

All these freshers week club invitation/promo things are coming under the door, and I don't even read them any more, just straight into the bin. Fuck your shots for £1, probably vile.

It's pretty rancid.

Arsenal - Saints during uni welcome week for £10. Much more my thing.

L1NETT

What's your issue with oil clubs? It makes the league more competitive and is better to watch. Wouldn't be near as entertaining as it is now if it was just United and Arsenal competing for the title like yesteryear.

or are we forgetting football is a business and not some sanctimonious haven that some think

Yeah maybe you are right. Oil clubs are really great for the state of the game. Actually no let's re read that sentence and realise what utter fucking drivel it is.

Money in football generally is the bigger issue, which petro clubs and the Pl etc are a part of. While a few clubs prosper, the inflation in the market, the greed of the PL and unequal financial distribution has led to a situation where many clubs face going out of business in the next few years. Debt has spiraled out of control and the current climate is that without a sugar daddy there is no real competitive future really for most football clubs. That's wrong. And when the lower leagues do wither and die maybe the PL might figure out they've done something wrong. Way things are going is not sustainable, it simply isn't. No wonder there so many movements pushing against it

Wish they'd piss of and form their own super league and let the rest of us actually play football instead of ruining football here.

L1NETT

Robbie Fowler applied for the vacant scum job at Bellend Road

Yes you heard me.

Robbie Fowler

The Leeds circus never fails to amuse.

Wilbur

Banned
Of course not, I can only speak for myself. Without it I'd have far less of a social life so my time would be spent doing work etc etc

Alcohol is just fantastic in social situations but fuck is it dangerous, after uni I'm going to cut it out almost entirely. That's what I tell myself at least.

:lol

Been finished uni for around 15 weeks now

Been drunk like 12 times out of them

It never ends

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Snow in the fifa demo D:

They actually managed to make it look worse.

Yeah maybe you are right. Oil clubs are really great for the state of the game. Actually no let's re read that sentence and realise what utter fucking drivel it is.

Money in football generally is the bigger issue, which petro clubs and the Pl etc are a part of. While a few clubs prosper, the inflation in the market, the greed of the PL and unequal financial distribution has led to a situation where many clubs face going out of business in the next few years. Debt has spiraled out of control and the current climate is that without a sugar daddy there is no real competitive future really for most football clubs. That's wrong. And when the lower leagues do wither and die maybe the PL might figure out they've done something wrong.

Wish they'd piss of and form their own super league and let the rest of us actually play football instead of ruining football here.
You didn't actually answer my question you just went off on a completely different tangent to talk about money in football and hey no arguments from me there, I agree it's fucked up situation. But would this problem cease to exist without clubs propped up by foreign investment? No, not really. It was already happening with the likes of Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Manchester United, etc. rich clubs that would still be rich (and probably more so) if the likes of Roman Abramovich never bought Chelsea. The thing with oil clubs is that they can let smaller clubs compete with the big ones and somewhat helps in not turning the game into a complete oligopoly and I'd argue that's even worse than the current situation.

As for the state of the game... pretty sure most of us can agree that the EPL (and football in general) hasn't been this exciting in a while with 4-6 teams battling it out for the title. Other leagues might not be keeping up but there's reasons for that outside of exorbitant transfer fees. No comment on the lower leagues since I don't follow them.

FootballFan

Money in football generally is the bigger issue, which petro clubs and the Pl etc are a part of. While a few clubs prosper, the inflation in the market, the greed of the PL and unequal financial distribution has led to a situation where many clubs face going out of business in the next few years. Debt has spiraled out of control and the current climate is that without a sugar daddy there is no real competitive future really for most football clubs. That's wrong. And when the lower leagues do wither and die maybe the PL might figure out they've done something wrong. Way things are going is not sustainable, it simply isn't. No wonder there so many movements pushing against it

Agree completely.

Disgusting.

L1NETT

But would this problem cease to exist without clubs propped up by foreign investment? No, not really.

Would a more level playing field help? Yes, yes it really would. Would a salary cap hurt? A limit on transfer fees? Actual penalties for not playing HG players, in the form of docked points and relegation. Would the issue cease to exist, probably not. The PL and Sky have changed football in this country irreversibly.

The thing with oil clubs is that they can let smaller clubs compete with the big ones and somewhat helps in not turning the game into a complete oligopoly and I'd argue that's even worse than the current situation..

Aside from not making a lick of sense, it's not even true. Oil clubs can let smaller clubs compete? Oh how generous of them. And how can the smaller clubs, your Chelsea's, your Man City's 10/15 years ago...how did they change their fortunes around so they could compete? I'll let you answer that one.

As for the state of the game... pretty sure most of us can agree that the EPL (and football in general) hasn't been this exciting in a while with 4-6 teams battling it out for the title. Other leagues might not be keeping up but there's reasons for that outside of exorbitant transfer fees. No comment on the lower leagues since I don't follow them.

Most of us? If you mean here then I mean ok but not really that representative of anything. If Neogaf is your metric for football fans I'd question that.

More and more people in this country are growing disillusioned with top flight football. It may be attracting more and more tourists but it's getting to a point where it's losing what made it so good in the first place. The strength of depth of the league system is another thing which makes English football so strong, and that is being strung up to die by money.

If you seriously think that the artificial growth of a select number of clubs has been great for english football that's super.

But it's created an unsustainable football climate. And no, it probably won't hurt some fans on here. Nothing wrong with that. They'll buy the shirts, stream the games and enjoy it. That's great. Maybe choose a new team in a decade or so if something does change. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, international viewers in a part of PL football now.

It's just that it puts a majority of english football clubs in a severe financial position and threatens the future of them. Hope you can see why that might be an issue.

And that's the last I'll say on that one. Apologies for clogging the thread.

Oh and Happy Birthday Bla.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
PC has dispatched :D

Should be here between now and Monday

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
we have to know how old l1nett really is

Wilbur, take this...let's cleave him in half and count the rings

What a hero, a role model. These footballers haven't got anything on Yurt
I wish :lol

edit:
Pato :loool

ibwAPtvfnGzl1a.gif

What is dead may never re-die

L1NETT

we have to know how old l1nett really is

Wilbur, take this...let's cleave him in half and count the rings

Still 19 Yurt. 20 in a few months.

You could try using carbon dating to prove that

But I don't know how it works

Alcohol doesn't need to be expensive. Nothing beats good ol' cheapo Frosty Jacks, White Ace and Super Tennent's.

they are disgusting god pls remove them from this earth

Frosty Jacks is complete Hobo Juice

Might be the worst smelling liquid on this earth

Carbonox

Alcohol doesn't need to be expensive. Nothing beats good ol' cheapo Frosty Jacks, White Ace and Super Tennent's.

they are disgusting god pls remove them from this earth

How bad has inflation become in the lower leagues for transfer fees and wages, as they've gone up and up in the top leagues across the continent?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Jaguars are terrible cars UGH

Still 19 Yurt. 20 in a few months.

You could try using carbon dating to prove that

But I don't know how it works

I believe in reincarnations now

in your past life you were probably Juanpablo's grandad.

or Footballfan's neighbour in WW1

Yen

Alcohol is expensive
It's crazy when my friends tell me they spent £60/80/100 on a night out. If I'm heading out, I might buy like three bottles of wheat beer* from an offie or have a couple of IPAs* at a bar, but I wouldn't drink at a nightclub.

* I don't like drinking. I can tolerate wheat beer or pale ale. I'm not just a hipster.

Would a more level playing field help? Yes, yes it really would. Would a salary cap hurt? A limit on transfer fees? Actual penalties for not playing HG players, in the form of docked points and relegation. Would the issue cease to exist, probably not. The PL and Sky have changed football in this country irreversibly.

Aside from not making a lick of sense, it's not even true. Oil clubs can let smaller clubs compete? Oh how generous of them. And how can the smaller clubs, your Chelsea's, your Man City's 10/15 years ago...how did they change their fortunes around so they could compete? I'll let you answer that one.

Most of us? If you mean here then I mean ok but not really that representative of anything. If Neogaf is your metric for football fans I'd question that.

More and more people in this country are growing disillusioned with top flight football. It may be attracting more and more tourists but it's getting to a point where it's losing what made it so good in the first place. The strength of depth of the league system is another thing which makes English football so strong, and that is being strung up to die by money.

If you seriously think that the artificial growth of a select number of clubs has been great for english football that's super.

But it's created an unsustainable football climate. And no, it probably won't hurt some fans on here. Nothing wrong with that. They'll buy the shirts, stream the games and enjoy it. That's great. Maybe choose a new team in a decade or so if something does change. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, international viewers in a part of PL football now.

It's just that it puts a majority of english football clubs in a severe financial position and threatens the future of them. Hope you can see why that might be an issue.

And that's the last I'll say on that one. Apologies for clogging the thread.

Oh and Happy Birthday Bla.
I think we pretty much agree on the current state of football just disagree on how much the likes of Chelsea, Man City, PSG, etc. are to blame for the current state of affairs.

I worded that statement very badly. By "small clubs compete with big ones" I mean Chelsea pre-takeover was a small club only when it got bought out was it able to compete with the bigger ones like Manchester United and Arsenal. Without that injection of funds they would not be able to touch the monopoly at the top of the league.

Yeah I meant most of us on here. No idea how opinions are in England since I live in Canada. Your perspective is probably more credible than mine since I'm overseas and am so far removed from the community aspect of English football.

edit: "clogging the thread?" m8 we need some way to pass the time until matches come back lol

Carbonox

It's crazy when my friends tell me they spent £60/80/100 on a night out. If I'm heading out, I might buy like three bottles of wheat beer* from an offie or have a couple of IPAs* at a bar, but I wouldn't drink at a nightclub.

* I don't like drinking. I can tolerate wheat beer or pale ale. I'm not just a hipster.

This is why I don't take my card out with me. I take out the money I think I need or I'd be comfortable with and go from there. Given I know everywhere in my town and the prices they charge I can make do with something like 40 quid. If I go out of town I raise my budget and if I go somewhere like London then I go HAM.

King_Moc

Banned
How bad has inflation become in the lower leagues for transfer fees and wages, as they've gone up and up in the top leagues across the continent?

Not changed a huge amount in league 2 as far as I can tell. Lots of free transfers and £50k is still considered a fairly big fee.

why do you have such a hard hate-boner for Leeds?

He's jealous that they're a proper PL club

Leeds are pioneers in spending money they haven't earned. They saw the way the wind was blowing. Unfortunately that money was leveraged on future CL qualification rather than oligarch owners

L1NETT

why do you have such a hard hate-boner for Leeds?

I am most certainly not alone.

Mainly their deluded support who still think it's the 70s, think Leeds is capital of Yorkshire, rip up stadiums, chant vile shite, start fights.

You ever been in same stadium as their nobhead support? You'll tell me summat different afterwards

I was certain you were in your 40s. o_O

This has been thrown at me before

Still unsure if it's a positive thing. I don't think it is

King_Moc

Banned
I am most certainly not alone.

Mainly their deluded support who still think it's the 70s, think Leeds is capital of Yorkshire, rip up stadiums, chant vile shite, start fights.

You ever been in same stadium as their nobhead support? You'll tell me summat different afterwards

Agreed. Worst fans in the UK, along with Cardiff and Millwall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom