• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Salazar

The Liverpool manager, however, said: “We hear criticism of the team but this team has character, it showed it last season. It has shown it’s got resilience. Okay, we concede more than we would like at times but you can’t question the character. That can’t be criticised. We have players who’ve shown they have spirit but when you don’t get victories it affects confidence and you don’t perform quite as good. My job is to keep instilling that confidence.”

I can't question it ?

Sit the fuck down with your "last season, when everything was going brilliantly, we showed real fortitude and grit".

"When you don't get victories, it affects confidence and you don't perform quite as good".

That's when the character is supposed to kick in, Brenty. The spirit. That's the fucking moment.

"That can't be criticised" - :lol

The whole fucking club can be criticised, you insufferable jackass. Right down to your unspeakably shit tie.

Messi

Whats this about Vermaelen having surgery in the next few days and is expected to be out for 5 months? What a complete clusterfuck.

wedward

I care. I really want us to get confidence, get rid of this negativity and to move on from this shit. I want to win.

Eh, I think we would gain confidence from a draw, that's how low we look.

Sounds like Jack might need surgery. Good lord. His inability to stay healthy is troubling. We really need Ramsey to get back to his best. With Jack our Aaron should be able to go back to the position he played in last season.

Sounds like Sanogo tomorrow. He has 0 goals for Arsenal. Pls score one.

Phlebas

Banned
I can't question it ?

Sit the fuck down with your "last season, when everything was going brilliantly, we showed real fortitude and grit".

"When you don't get victories, it affects confidence and you don't perform quite as good".

That's when the character is supposed to kick in, Brenty. The spirit. That's the fucking moment.

"That can't be criticised" - :lol

The whole fucking club can be criticised, you insufferable jackass. Right down to your unspeakably shit tie.

CNB1W6d.png

How long till he gets sacked?

Fuck Reus anyway, all about Thorgan Hazard, who was also at the match today

PF2ehzB.jpg

v06L0dU.gif

rOfbmSY.gif

and there's a third brother that should be on his way too... Imagine.

------------------------ Costa--------------------------
Thorgan Hazard - Eden Hazard - Kylian Hazard

CNB1W6d.png

3Sixty

Southampton are keen on FC Twente’s Mexico international forward Jesus Corona, who is valued at £2.5million.

Corona, 21, has a buy-out clause in his contract with the Dutch club and is gaining a reputation as a quick player who sets up chances.

--

Fast-and-Furious-6-Vin-Diesel-e1365668530459.jpg

You can have any player in the league, as long as its a Corona.

Lightning

Banned
Eh, I think we would gain confidence from a draw, that's how low we look.

Sounds like Jack might need surgery. Good lord. His inability to stay healthy is troubling. We really need Ramsey to get back to his best. With Jack our Aaron should be able to go back to the position he played in last season.

Sounds like Sanogo tomorrow. He has 0 goals for Arsenal. Pls score one.
Wilshere's career is over in the sense of him being dependable for club or country. I accepted that a while ago. Even when he gets back it will take time to gain form and fitness again then same thing will happen again.

We're missing Debuchy, Koscielny and Ozil.

Sanogo score against Dortmund? Hmm I doubt that greatly.

wedward

Wilshere's career is over in the sense of him being dependable for club or country. I accepted that a while ago. Even when he gets back it will take time to gain form and fitness again then same thing will happen again.

Jack will be at West Ham within 5 years.

Jack is the embodiment of Arsene Wenger's Arsenal over the past 8 years.

Jack was supposed to be the one to bring balance to the force.

Its crazy how often Wilshere's ankles get a proper twatting. There are plenty of other players in the league who dribble like him, but Wilshere seems to draw bad fouls more than the others

wedward

Its crazy how often Wilshere's ankles get a proper twatting. There are plenty of other players in the league who dribble like him, but Wilshere seems to draw bad fouls more than the others

I'm not a doctor but it is pretty clear that his ankles are more delicate than most.

So much of his game is about dribbling past players that if you restrict him from doing that you are taking away his biggest strength. Maybe he should play a bit deeper.

inky

Southampton are keen on FC Twente’s Mexico international forward Jesus Corona, who is valued at £2.5million.

Corona, 21, has a buy-out clause in his contract with the Dutch club and is gaining a reputation as a quick player who sets up chances.

He's pretty good, you should get him. I was talking about him the other day to PSV gaf.

Clegg

On the topic of Wilshere I was listening to a podcast which had Philippe Auclair as a guest. They were talking about te United/Arsenal game and Wilsheres performance in particular Auclair said he's beginning to wonder if that potential will ever be fulfilled. He's still young but possesses all the flaws he had when he broke through as a teenager and the great performances aren't as frequent.

Yen

I really quite enjoyed Nightcrawler.

Still no sign of my broadband box. No internet for anyone in the house, both housemates deny taking it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Jack will be at West Ham within 5 years.

Jack is the embodiment of Arsene Wenger's Arsenal over the past 8 years.

Jack was supposed to be the one to bring balance to the force.

pretty optimistic to think that polystyrene jack will be playing champion's league football in five years.

valeo

On the topic of Wilshere I was listening to a podcast which had Philippe Auclair as a guest. They were talking about te United/Arsenal game and Wilsheres performance in particular Auclair said he's beginning to wonder if that potential will ever be fulfilled. He's still young but possesses all the flaws he had when he broke through as a teenager and the great performances aren't as frequent.

Biggest problem is he never really has a consistent run of games. Until he gets that, and it looks unlikely he ever will, he'll never improve.

Koko

Banned

A true winger with great potential.

Wilbur

Banned
I think Wilshere's been decent this season to be honest. In a squad where no one but Sanchez has performed consistently, he certainly hasn't been one of their worst players.

The problem with Wilshere is he has the potential to be extraordinary, so when he's putting in performances that are merely acceptable it makes him stand out.

wedward

He is a better all around player now then when he broke through. Better dribbler, better passing, better in the box. Lacks the discipline you would hope someone his age would have but I put that down to Wenger because nobody trained by Arsene has the discipline they should. Still not where I had hoped he would be, but I think the injuries are the main reason for that.

He has yet to play a season uninterrupted like he did when he broke through.

I find it a bit odd that rather than his tackling being better, he's just stopped trying it as much. If his future lies at DM, that'll be a massive hole in his game imo. He's never going o be trained to be a top tackler like Macherano or someone, but it shouldn't be a problem to make him as good at it as Allen or someone who just stays on his feet.

I watch quite a few Arsenal games, but normally I'm not fully focussed on the match so I could be wrong there. But it seems like this season Sanchez is the only one to regularly win possession back for Arsenal before the ball gets to Arteta or the defense. Especially odd as Ramsey made a fuck-tonne of tackles last season.

wedward

I find it a bit odd that rather than his tackling being better, he's just stopped trying it as much. If his future lies at DM, that'll be a massive hole in his game imo. He's never going o be trained to be a top tackler like Macherano or someone, but it shouldn't be a problem to make him as good at it as an Allen.

I watch quite a few Arsenal games, but normally I'm not fully focussed on the match so I could be wrong there. But it seems like this season Sanchez is the only one to regularly win possession back for Arsenal before the ball gets to Arteta or the defense. Especially odd as Ramsey made a fuck-tonne of tackles last season.

Jack will never be a DM at Arsenal.

Maybe for England but it isn't happening at Arsenal. Not under Wenger at least.

Wilbur

Banned
Ramsey's ceiling is far lower than Wilshere's in my opinion. Had a great season last year, and at this moment in time may well be a better player, but I don't see him becoming much better than he is right now.

If Wilshere can grow, he's got a lot more potential to reach.

wedward

Wilshere plays better for England than he does for Arsenal now. I guess the EPL figured him (and Arsenal as a whole) out.

England have played shit teams and Arsenal as a whole have been playing like garbage. Less about teams figuring Arsenal out and more about them being unable to string 3 passes together.

Clegg

Another point Auclair made was about ho Arsenal's defence has crumbled. Said Mertesacker was at a charity do last week and was asked about what's happened to the teams defensive organisation. Said he was struggling to come up with an answer which wouldn't get him in the shit with management. Auclair believes that all the good work in improving the centre of defence was down to Koscielney and Merte coming up with it themselves. Wenger had no input in it and a lot of their problems are down to a lack of coaching.

He compared it to United at the weekend who struggled for the first 30 mins but settled and were clearly playing with a plan in mind to combat Arsenal. This was with two teenage centre backs with little exp in senior football. LvG had a plan whilst Wenger had none. Auclair came down pretty hard on him tbh.

Wilshere plays far more recklessly now than he used to. I'm not sure if that's down to his impatience and desperation to be involved or if it's under direction from the manager.

In his stint and Bolton and early spell at Arsenal he was a very controlled player. We saw alot more of his passing range.

He was playing alongside Fabregas and Nasri at the time mind you.

Wilbur

Banned
Well it's obvious Wenger isn't much of a tactician to our fucking eyes isn't it

I can't imagine what Sanchez must have thought, going from the likes of Pep to Wenger

Relief or fear :lol

Another point Auclair made was about ho Arsenal's defence has crumbled. Said Mertesacker was at a charity do last week and was asked about what's happened to the teams defensive organisation. Said he was struggling to come up with an answer which wouldn't get him in the shit with management. Auclair believes that all the good work in improving the centre of defence was down to Koscielney and Merte coming up with it themselves. Wenger had no input in it and a lot of their problems are down to a lack of coaching.

He compared it to United at the weekend who struggled for the first 30 mins but settled and were clearly playing with a plan in mind to combat Arsenal. This was with two teenage centre backs with little exp in senior football. LvG had a plan whilst Wenger had none. Auclair came down pretty hard on him tbh.

It's blatantly obvious though isn't it.

They're making the same mistakes at the back they've been making for years, literally.

There is no coaching going on there on the defensive side. Nothing meaningful anyway.

wedward

Wilshere plays far more recklessly now than he used to. I'm not sure if that's down to his impatience and desperation to be involved or if it's under direction from the manager.

In his stint and Bolton and early spell at Arsenal he was a very controlled player. We saw alot more of his passing range.

He was playing alongside Fabregas and Nasri at the time mind you.

Fabregas, Song and Wilshere was a very good midfield trio.

Much better than Flamini, Aaron "I am a model now so who cares about football" Ramsey and Wilshere.

Wilshere and Ramsey both try and do too much. Rarely make the simple pass.

Scum

Wasn't there talk of Wenger just "leaving the lads to it" when it comes to training? Constant free sessions unsupervised??

Well it's obvious Wenger isn't much of a tactician to our fucking eyes isn't it

I can't imagine what Sanchez must have thought, going from the likes of Pep to Wenger

Relief or fear :lol

Mainly relief I imagine, even if it leads to fewer trophies

From 'pass pass pass don't do anything unless there's an 80+% chance of it working' to 'do what you want' :p

wedward

Wasn't there talk of Wenger just "leaving the lads to it" when it comes to training? Constant free sessions unsupervised??

No. All the pictures that come from training make it look like Wenger stands and watches over them while they play 7v7.

The Bould effect

Monreal is impervious to the Bould effect.

It all comes down to Wenger's "philosophy". He thinks the players should be intelligent enough to be able to make the correct choice on the pitch. It's why you rarely see him yelling at the players. During press conferences he has said that when a player makes a mistake he doesn't yell at him, he asks him what the mistake was and what they should have done differently.

:lol There is no way he leaves them unsupervised.

Let's not do the man a disservice here, plenty of players have developed under him and gone on to have successful careers. He knows how to coach.

I just honestly don't think he is a man who cares about the small details. The kind of stuff somebody like Mourinho will have his players slave over - I doubt Wenger even thinks twice about stuff like that.

Lightning

Banned
Ramsey's ceiling is far lower than Wilshere's in my opinion. Had a great season last year, and at this moment in time may well be a better player, but I don't see him becoming much better than he is right now.

If Wilshere can grow, he's got a lot more potential to reach.
Ramsey is not made of glass though and has the finishing element to his game that Wilshere's lacking. Defensively Ramsey is better as well when on form.

Wilshere is a better reader of the game, much better passer and with the ball at his feet is very good but his constant injuries and niggles are worrying. If he really is out for 4 months like I read than that's his season over and it's back to square one next season getting back again, which will result in a patchy season while he gets confidence/form/fitness again and so the cycle starts again. It's worrying for him.

Scum

No. All the pictures that come from training make it look like Wenger stands and watches over them while they play 7v7.

Monreal is impervious to the Bould effect.

It all comes down to Wenger's "philosophy". He thinks the players should be intelligent enough to be able to make the correct choice on the pitch. It's why you rarely see him yelling at the players. During press conferences he has said that when a player makes a mistake he doesn't yell at him, he asks him what the mistake was and what he should have done differently.

Let's not do the man a disservice here, plenty of players have developed under him and gone on to have successful careers. He knows how to coach.

I just honestly don't think he is a man who cares about the small details. The kind of stuff somebody like Mourinho will have his players slave over - I doubt Wenger even thinks twice about stuff like that.

Must have been the Daily Mail or Wilbur then. 😒

Wilbur

Banned

You think he'd recognise that stuff mattered though, and brought in someone who does care.

Scum

Ramsey is not made of glass though and has the finishing element to his game that Wilshere's lacking. Defensively Ramsey is better as well when on form.

Wilshere is a better reader of the game, much better passer and with the ball at his feet is very good but his constant injuries and niggles are worrying. If he really is out for 4 months like I read than that's his season over and it's back to square one next season getting back again, which will result in a patchy season while he gets confidence/form/fitness again and so the cycle starts again. It's worrying for him.

Wait. 4 months?! I thought it was four weeks?

wedward

Man, the way Wenger talks about how well we train and how we just don't show up for games I bet our training sessions are a sight to behold.

Sanogo hatricks.

Wilshere chips.

Ramsey rabonas.

Sanchez ripping his top off every 30 seconds.

Flamini tackling and winning the ball

Wait. 4 months?! I thought it was four weeks?

They don't know yet. Seeing a specialist today. Rumor was 8-10 weeks.

Top Bottom