• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

You think he'd recognise that stuff mattered though, and brought in someone who does care.
It's clearly an error but that's his approach. He has remarkable trust in his players and that's not something that he is going to go back on now.

I honestly think football has moved on somewhat and left him behind. There was a time, especially in the PL, where the games were even more chaotic than they are now.

The other thing is that his methods do work to a certain extent don't they. They'll win plenty of games this season. It's not total and utter failure every week. It's just enough for him to stick by it.

Clegg

It all comes down to Wenger's "philosophy". He thinks the players should be intelligent enough to be able to make the correct choice on the pitch. It's why you rarely see him yelling at the players. During press conferences he has said that when a player makes a mistake he doesn't yell at him, he asks him what the mistake was and what they should have done differently.
That method would've worked when his team was full of intelligent, talented footballers. What's the point in letting rip at Bergkamp, Pires, Henry, Vieira etc? They'd probably realised the mistake before Wenger ever got to them. Shame he seems to be continuing that trend with players who aren't anywhere near as good and who clearly need a bollocking.

Didn't realise Januzaj played tonight too. Gaal seems set on making sure players are playing as often as possible. Ties in with the full pelt training sessions he runs a couple of days before matches themselves - which I am certain has led to a few injuries...

Evans is back now then, at least. He's still fairly hospital but he tends to have 2/3 solid games between clangers so that should be some kind of improvement.

Zabojnik

2LbY1Ul.gif

Best m8s again. YES MAX.

wedward

That method would've worked when his team was full of intelligent, talented footballers. What's the point in letting rip at Bergkamp, Pires, Henry, Vieira etc? They'd probably realised the mistake before Wenger ever got to them. Shame he seems to be continuing that trend with players who aren't anywhere near as good and who clearly need a bollocking.

He is 65 years old and this is the way he has always managed. Of course he thinks it is going to work and even if he realized it wasn't, would he be able to change?

He also spends every day with these players. I am sure he has reason to believe they are intelligent and capable of playing intelligently.

I watch them every week and I have seen them do it. Just not consistently enough.

Tactically I don't think we play all that differently from most top teams. We just don't have the players to make it work. If we are going to be as attack minded as we are we need at least one top class CB and a top class DM. We have neither and haven't had one in 10 years.

He just keeps making the same mistakes.

The 2011 team could have a shot at the title with a top class CB and DM. Same as last year.

Lightning

Banned
Wedward what do you make of Arsenal's stupidity of not registering Giroud for the group games of the CL? Seems silly. I know he was expected to be out but we already know Giroud is made of tough material.

wedward

Wedward what do you make of Arsenal's stupidity of not registering Giroud for the group games of the CL? Seems silly. I know he was expected to be out but we already know Giroud is made of tough material.

Don't think anyone thought he would be back in November. Don't think it makes a huge difference. We already blew it. I'd be more upset if this game decided who won the group.

It was a gamble that didn't work out. Just our luck this season.

GorillaJu

From the archives of Morsel's students:

"I don't like SNS (social networking services). I think feces-to-faces communication is more good."

valeo

:lol There is no way he leaves them unsupervised.

Let's not do the man a disservice here, plenty of players have developed under him and gone on to have successful careers. He knows how to coach.

I just honestly don't think he is a man who cares about the small details. The kind of stuff somebody like Mourinho will have his players slave over - I doubt Wenger even thinks twice about stuff like that.

Wenger has never, ever been a 'tactician'. He does focus on the small details - but more player diet, how players behave themselves etc. ; not so much the minutiae of tactical play.

He has always trusted his players to know what's best. Unfortunately, in this day and age that simply isn't enough.\

I don't know the details, but I assume we didn't think he would be back so soon and in the initial registration of the Champions League it didn't make a whole lot of sense to include someone that was likely to be crocked for all of it.

I'm not sure of the rules on changing squads mid-way through? I don't think you can, can you? It's really not that stupid. What would be more stupid is including an injured player.

Meier

I think they may offer some sort of provision for goalkeepers if you have a rash of injuries, but in general you can't add anyone during the group stage. A lot of teams have to make squad concessions. Carrying a non-HG player who will maybe be injured the whole time wouldn't be smart.

valeo

I think they may offer some sort of provision for goalkeepers if you have a rash of injuries, but in general you can't add anyone during the group stage. A lot of teams have to make squad concessions. Carrying a non-HG player who will maybe be injured the whole time wouldn't be smart.

Yeah, this is what I thought - seems like most media haven't done their research and have just jumped on another chance to stick the boot in (and most fans are doing the same it seems!)

ATF487

I'm pumped that I get to watch Liverpool lose to Ludogorets tomorrow. For some reason I get Fox Sports 2

One of the shittiest things about working a job in that America is missing all the European games unless you can get home before 3pm

Wilshere's career is over in the sense of him being dependable for club or country. I accepted that a while ago. Even when he gets back it will take time to gain form and fitness again then same thing will happen again.

We're missing Debuchy, Koscielny and Ozil.

Sanogo score against Dortmund? Hmm I doubt that greatly.

I wouldn't right him off yet, people did the same with Robben when he was younger.

Well it's obvious Wenger isn't much of a tactician to our fucking eyes isn't it

I can't imagine what Sanchez must have thought, going from the likes of Pep to Wenger

Relief or fear :lol

Wenger really is one of the worst around. I can't remember the last time he made an in game adjustment to get round anothet manager.

Wasn't there talk of Wenger just "leaving the lads to it" when it comes to training? Constant free sessions unsupervised??

The old back four use to say that. It is ok when you have experience and a bunch of players who have been together for 10 years, but not with his crop. They look like they have no clue what they are doing when they lose the ball and Wenger has got to be to blame.

2LbY1Ul.gif

Best m8s again. YES MAX.

Pirlo just called Max a fucking idiot, followed by Max tried to laugh it off.

From the archives of Morsel's students:

"I don't like SNS (social networking services). I think feces-to-faces communication is more good."

A 6 year old once called me a feces. His dad was a doctor and taught him medical words and that was one apparently.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Bla why do you send emails to gaming websites :lol

Eh it's not so bad since we seem to have effectively switched to a 4 men defensive line. Asamoah is a crap LB anyway, and we have more than enough CMs. We're good. Might be a good incentive to buy an actual, non-geriatric LB in the winter transfer window tho. And on the plus side, that means he'll likely miss the Africa Cup. So in the end it evens out. I still remember how utterly crap he was for a few months after that dreadful cup couple of years ago.

City are a joke how can they only have 2 points?

That's actually what made me almost happy when I heard about surgury.

Fuck Africa Cup.

fair points ;_; but while Asa IS a crap fullback, there's no one even remotely close to how utterly crap Evra is. NO ONE

I don't even remember our last decent LB.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
But of course. It's my favourite movie of all time!

The Hoeneßs, a reclusive family who follow ancient customs, find their secret existence threatened as a torrential Dortmunder downpour moves into their area, forcing daughters Pepa and Sammersa to assume responsibilities beyond those of a typical family.

Malmo's pitch is in horrid condition, apparently. Also, the ref is the same one from Gala - Juve last season.

That's that, then. EL, here we come.
635418526411100801testingmesatan.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Jimmy Kimmel's Do You Have What It Takes is killing me

how can these people even exist :lol I don't trust Jimmy, he's a serial liar.

What the hell Boateng? No wonder he made that mistake yesterday.

didn't you guys say that he's World Class after the Pep treatment? What now....the Qin list needs updatin'

Blablurn

Jimmy Kimmel's Do You Have What It Takes is killing me

how can these people even exist :lol I don't trust Jimmy, he's a serial liar.

didn't you guys say that he's World Class after the Pep treatment? What now....the Qin list needs updatin'

Pls Yurt. Your negativity is almost worse than Woodens.

Top Bottom