• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

jtb

Banned
Arsenal are in the knockout round for the 15th consecutive season.

That is 15 seasons in a row we have not won it for those keeping track.

I wonder if we are going to rest players for the final group match.

(I suspect we'll play a full strength team and lose anyways.)

wedward

I wonder if we are going to rest players for the final group match.

(I suspect we'll play a full strength team and lose anyways.)

I imagine you thought we would lose today also.

Probably full strength. With the way Dortmund have been playing I could see them losing.

'The performance was the main thing today'

What? Results are everything in a fucking 6-match league format. And if the performance was the main thing, you fucking failed regardless. We were shit. Less shit, but shit nonetheless.

No faith in our own ability to control a match, or attack properly without conceding on the counter. Every single fucking team we play against attacks at will, cos they know we're doing jack shit on the counter with a grand total of 2 players capable of bursting forward with any pace.

Gerrard was much improved by virtue of his shitty touches leading to turnovers in possession 35 yards out rather than putting us under huge pressure with nobody to sweep up.

Moreno needs to switch on, or his tidiness won't mean anything to us.

I'd have been delighted with a win, anything to stop the rot a little bit.

Say what you want about our defending from corners, but most teams would concede from one of them if they gave away as many as we fucking did tonight, and that comes about by fucking cowardly fullbacks afraid to out a foot in, letting their wingers get to the byline before making any attempt to end the attack.

Sterling was much improved at least.

ICKE

Banned
The state of the club isn't that bad.

Young squad, backing from owners, good fanbase and 50/50 chance to progress to the knockouts in the CL.

Liverpool are only 5 points off the top four. Not that far away and we are only 1/3 into the season.

You know what a crisis used to be for Liverpool back in the day? Being behind any club in England. The club is in absolute disarray at the moment, there is lack of belief and a lack of knowledge over how to go on. The owners clearly know fuck all about football, that is the reason why they have employed these advisers who have - to be quite honest -completely let the owners down. They need to be done away with and the manager needs to be given trust to buy the right players. None of this transfer committee shite, 110 million pounds have been wasted for NOTHING.

Rodgers is a small-time manager, he will win nothing major and does not have the correct mindset for a club like Liverpool. There was so much nonsense about his huge C.V when he was selected, what has he ever won? One promotion in his whole career?

The problem is that I don't know if the owners are just clueless and need help or actually do not want people who have a strong mindset. Would they accept someone like Benitez who does not tolerate nonsense.

Too many passengers in the organization, from top to bottom. Liverpool is now a club based on sentimentality, not based on ruthlessness and grinding out trophies.

Marc

Lambert : "we've answered some of the critics about Sunday night - we wanted the win and we almost got it"

Lol. Congrats on almost getting the win.

He is just happy to be playing in the champions league, he couldn't have dreamed that not that long ago. Scoring in it too.

Nice bloke but that is the kind of mentality and player bought in that is dragging the team down. The best players are pissed off when they don't win.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
you can tell it's european football when brenny's interview gets tee'd up by "that's a bit more like it".

"really pleased with that performance, of course they got a goal at the end but it was irrelevant"

Lambert : "we've answered some of the critics about Sunday night - we wanted the win and we almost got it"

Lol. Congrats on almost getting the win.

inNOZHhs74LEO.gif

wedward

Remember when Liverpool fans were saying Liverpool weren't going to just make up the numbers in CL like Arsenal.

Brendan was really gunna give it a go. Those magical Anfield nights.

O dear. You sank my battleship.

TeegsD

Remember when Liverpool fans were saying Liverpool weren't going to just make up the numbers in CL like Arsenal.

Please...you're one Sanchez injury away from being irrelevant.

Ludogrets a difficult team to play against....Brendan pls.

They actually are if you don't have real attacking quality*. They don't bring many players all the way back to defend, so they always, always have passing options when they move forward. So unless you back yourself to score from every attack, or back your defensive unit to cope with being outnumbered after every turnover, its difficult to attack them properly.

We probably made them look better than they are, but they're no mugs.

*and even Madrid struggled in this fixture

Marc

Arsenal's march to the final goes on...

Stare-What-GIF.gif

Purdy

Still a chance we do something, there isn't for arsenal really

jtb

Banned
last season went better than Liverpool's ability would suggest on paper (compared to other teams in the league; no CL helped, obviously) and this season has gone worse. people weren't saying those 110m were wasted in the summer, everyone was raving about how their only regret was that they couldn't just buy ALL the southampton players. as always, the reality lies somewhere in the middle.

Liverpool didn't get Rodgers because of his huge CV, Liverpool got him because you were choosing from the Rodgers-Martinez tier, not from the likes of Mourinho and Klopp.

like, let's not get carried away with the unexpected success of last season; it was unexpected precisely because Liverpool were godawful the three seasons before that. getting back into the CL was a huge accomplishment but it certainly didn't mean that Liverpool were back to where they were in the heyday of the Benitez era; particularly not when you had to sell your best player in the summer.

way too early to panic now. I can't even fathom sacking Rodgers before the end of the season. it accomplishes nothing and sets the club back at least a year, maybe more.

Carbonox

arsenal v liverpool banter

i live for this sort of thing

"my dad could beat up your dad"

"my mums got a better smelling fanny than your mum"

"goals-wise i bet lambert's a no go against yaya sanogo"

2oY7zFW.png
2oY7zFW.png
2oY7zFW.png
2oY7zFW.png
iiua15MM00Hgw.png

Still a chance we do something, there isn't for arsenal really

Very optimistic

Need to beat Basel without Sturridge

Need Sturridge back, fit, and firing

Need the rest of the team to step up

Need a load of new players, yet again

Need a sea change in our approach

That's a lot of things that need to go right to even get to the quarters.

Wilbur

Banned
Well done Juve! Thought Olympiakos might knock one of you or Atleti out; glad both of you look like you're going through!

Marc

Stay on topic. This is about Liverpool.

I accept that Arsenal make up the numbers.

Normal legit banter m7. :D

I don't think anyone looked at those signings in the summer and thought they would be doing much. Opinions changed. With Sturridge they would have likely won that game, with Suarez they would have walked it. Great players making a difference shocker. :)

Meier

Lol. Was reading up on Chancel Mbemba who scored both of Anderlecht's goals (he's a defender, so I was curious)...

Age controversy

In 2012, Congolese club ES La Grace instructed a Brazilian sports lawyer Paulo Teixera to put forward a claim for training compensation to Anderlecht as the player was registered with the Congolese club in 2006. The player's registration from the time showed that the player was born on 8 August 1988, the player registered with a different date of birth 8 August 1994 with Anderlecht. The same date of birth was registered with FIFA for the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign. The player registered with a third date of birth (30 November 1991) for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualification campaign.

Incredible.

wedward

Normal legit banter m7. :D

I don't think anyone looked at those signings in the summer and thought they would be doing much. Opinions changed. With Sturridge they would have likely won that game, with Suarez they would have walked it. Great players making a difference shocker. :)

I think you'll be ok with Rodgers.

Biggest issue will be signing players in the summer if you aren't in CL. Too many punts.

Wilbur

Banned
Has any reporter straight up asked Brendan to clarify what he meant by coaching defending is easy?

Or did he not exactly say that? I'm confused; it seems so easy to pick on yet I never see the media do it.

Purdy

You got that backwards mate.

We have already qualified.

You haven't.

And will still fail to come away with the trophy like every other year

Very optimistic

Need to beat Basel without Sturridge

Need Sturridge back, fit, and firing

Need the rest of the team to step up

Need a load of new players, yet again

Need a sea change in our approach

That's a lot of things that need to go right to even get to the quarters.

Not saying we are close to winning the thing, but certainly no further away than the also rans of the past how many years?

Has any reporter straight up asked Brendan to clarify what he meant by coaching defending is easy?

Or did he not exactly say that? I'm confused; it seems so easy to pick on yet I never see the media do it.

I think he meant setting a team up to do nothing but defend and flood the box is easy. Bullshit either way, as proved by the fact that we fucking concede every time we try it.

faridmon

Remember when I said Dortmund are dead and Arsenal are gonna win it?
It seems I was right, come one Arse bros, the writing was on the wall.

Dortmund are dead

Dortmund

are

Dead

You haven't read it? It's amazing.

"There were probably two buses parked instead of one. You don’t just see them do it against Atletico, it’s against most. It’s the style of football, it’s defensive, and the polar opposite of the way we work. It gets results, Jose has got his today and he will be happy with that. It’s the opposite to how we work and hopefully over time and with preparation it will get us long-term results. Credit to them they got the results, bodies back in. It’s not difficult to coach to just get 10 players right on your 18-yard box and it is difficult to break through but they defended well.”

Marc

I think you'll be ok with Rodgers.

Biggest issue will be signing players in the summer if you aren't in CL. Too many punts.

I'm not a LIverpool fan btw. I am England FC all the way.

Glad you qualified, congrats! Glad Ox is getting a run.

Yeah, they wasted their opportunity to bring in a higher class of player. If you really love the likes of Lambert and Lallana, they would have come with or without the CL and could have waited. They needed Sanchez!

Top Bottom