• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

subtles

That Person of Interest
Scarface ;_;

It's weird seeing all hell break loose the season I take a break from the Footy. (I've probably seen two games all season.)

So we qualify if we beat Basel?

How did we play in the Madrid games?

What's up with our results? Is our playstyle still intact?

Bare in mind I haven't even seen highlights yet. Chelsea have been impressive from what I gather, though.

Things go back to normal in late December so I'll probably start watching and be back around then.

That is fucking terrible. Him, his family, his friends, and the bowler. Can't imagine how it feels to lose someone/kill someone because of such dumb luck, bouncers are bowled all the time, the odds of someone dying from one must be a billion to one.

RIP

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
That Person of Interest
Scarface ;_;

It's weird seeing all hell break loose the season I take a break from the Footy. (I've probably seen two games all season.)

Bare in mind I haven't even seen highlights yet. Chelsea have been impressive from what I gather, though.

Things go back to normal in late December so I'll probably start watching and be back around then.
Miss you cunt ;*

Wish I could take a break from football too

subtles

Miss you cunt ;*

Wish I could take a break from football too
Yuuuuuuuuuuurt

I'm laughing so hard right now.

I just remembered who your manager was. His history with Pirlo. Your avatar.

Barely top of the table.

Hahahaha

I missed you too, mate.

Malmo's manager: 'Refereeing was a scandal'

what?! :lol what the hell did we do now :lol

you know what's a scandal? Your fucking pitch and those fucking thugs you call midfielders. They were (literally) kicking Pirlo and Pogba

Swedish people are always mad.

It was a freekick for that Tevez goal though, one of your players just pushed over someone with two hands lol

That Person of Interest
Scarface ;_;

Yes, we qualify if we beat Basel by any scoreline (which was the main thing from yesterday tbh)

Played well for 20 minutes at home, shit after. Played above expectations away, but never came close to scoring. Madrid kept us at arms length, like in Extras when Warwick Davies is trying to fight.

Our formation is the same, but playstyle is completely different. No movement, no pace, no commitment in attack, no sharp passing. Not one section of the team is doing it's job, keeper, centrebacks, fullbacks, centre midfield, wide players, strikers, all have been poor. The unreasonable hope is that Sturridge comes back, and his quality spreadsthrough the team behind him, and alongside him if he plays up front with someone else.

Chelsea are walking to the title, there is no chance whatoever that they don't win th league, and I expect they'll win a domestic cup as well.

Is Remy injured again? Starting to think it wasn't a terrible move to pass over him, we just did a terrible job of getting in an alternative.

subtles

Yes, we qualify if we beat Basel by any scoreline (which was the main thing from yesterday tbh)

Played well for 20 minutes at home, shit after. Played above expectations away, but never came close to scoring. Madrid kept us at arms length, like in Extras when Warwick Davies is trying to fight.

Our formation is the same, but playstyle is completely different. No movement, no pace, no commitment in attack, no sharp passing. Not one section of the team is doing it's job, keeper, centrebacks, fullbacks, centre midfield, wide players, strikers, all have been poor. The unreasonable hope is that Sturridge comes back, and his quality spreadsthrough the team behind him, and alongside him if he plays up front with someone else.

Chelsea are walking to the title, there is no chance whatoever that they don't win th league, and I expect they'll win a domestic cup as well.

Is Remy injured again? Starting to think it wasn't a terrible move to pass over him, we just did a terrible job of getting in an alternative.
Thanks, Hitch. It's rather unfortunate as I remember the preseason Dortmund game had the team looking promising. Sterling regressed from what I hear? I had a lot of faith in Markovic. Almost as much as Lamda. I doubt Sturridge alone can instill belief but I guess that and the January window is our last bet?

Has Balotelli been as much of an oaf as Yurt said he'd be?!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yuuuuuuuuuuurt

I'm laughing so hard right now.

I just remembered who your manager was. His history with Pirlo. Your avatar.

Barely top of the table.

Hahahaha

I missed you too, mate.
You shoulda seen the gif Zabo posted the other day, pretending to be friends on the training ground, playing to the gallery.

Shades of Rooneh when he nutmegged Moyeseh

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Soz double post

Swedish people are always mad.

It was a freekick for that Tevez goal though, one of your players just pushed over someone with two hands lol
Noooo

It was a normal legit aerial duel, which Morata lost because the Swedish defender kinda jumped on him and pull him down

subtles

You shoulda seen the gif Zabo posted the other day, pretending to be friends on the training ground, playing to the gallery.

Shades of Rooneh when he nutmegged Moyeseh
It seems like we have one of those every season.

I just Googled David Moyes.

He's currently the manager of Real Sociedad.

I can't breathe.

Zabojnik

Why the fuck does the Neflix app on PS4 restart every other time you go out and back in with the PS button. How difficult can it be to implement basic multitasking in fucking 2014?

Zabojnik

I don't think we're talking about the da same incident then. I saw two hands, in the chest of the malmø player fairly clearly

Yeah, Morata kinda commits a foul on the defender in the play that leads to Tevez's goal. Nothing major, really, but the defender went overboard with the protesting and got sent off. Things escalated from there.

Malmo deserved to lose yesterday and that's the end of it. Swedish cunts.

Thanks, Hitch. It's rather unfortunate as I remember the preseason Dortmund game had the team looking promising. Sterling regressed from what I hear? I had a lot of faith in Markovic. Almost as much as Lamda. I doubt Sturridge alone can instill belief but I guess that and the January window is our last bet?

Has Balotelli been as much of an oaf as Yurt said he'd be?!

Sterling has understandably been unable to sustain his form from the first month of the season, though he was much better yesterday. He's 19, and we're looking for him to do everything, in a team which does nothing to drag players away from him, or make use of his pace. I think he and Balotelli will definitely be much better off when/if Sturridge comes back, just because Sturridge is good at keeping defenders occupied in a way which creates room for others, which is a big weakness for Lambert, Balotelli and Borini, who can all be easily marked by a single player, and don't move in a way which forces the other team to lose their shape.

Balotelli is worse than anyone could have imagined. He's keeping himself out of trouble, but he's not troubling goalkeepers either. January may be the tipping point as long as we're not like 12 points behind by then. If we overhaul the team, its a huge risk, as with our transfer record we could become even worse. If we don't, we just persist with players who are letting us down week-in week-out. We can't trust Rodgers and the commitee to spend much, but we can't pretend this squad is of the required quality for the rest of the season. Think we'll probably go for another window like we did in January 2013, couple of buys to come straight into the team, £20-25m, hope it works out.

Probably a centreback and a striker. Maybe more if we can offload a couple of players as well.

Zabojnik

This apologizing for double posting needs to stop. It made sense back in the day, when shitty internet and terrible forum code led to actual double posting, makes no sense when you got something to say and it just happens nobody posts between your posts.

Pls understand & act accordingly.

FootballFan

This apologizing for double posting needs to stop. It made sense back in the day, when shitty internet and terrible forum code lead to actual double posting, makes no sense when you got something to say and it just happens nobody posts between your posts.

Yep.

Unless you do what AndresON did when he was drunk(literally 5 posts in a row) then I don't see how posting twice is a big deal.

subtles

Sterling has understandably been unable to sustain his form from the first month of the season, though he was much better yesterday. He's 19, and we're looking for him to do everything, in a team which does nothing to drag players away from him, or make use of his pace. I think he and Balotelli will definitely be much better off when/if Sturridge comes back, just because Sturridge is good at keeping defenders occupied in a way which creates room for others, which is a big weakness for Lambert, Balotelli and Borini, who can all be easily marked by a single player, and don't move in a way which forces the other team to lose their shape.

Balotelli is worse than anyone could have imagined. He's keeping himself out of trouble, but he's not troubling goalkeepers either. January may be the tipping point as long as we're not like 12 points behind by then. If we overhaul the team, its a huge risk, as with our transfer record we could become even worse. If we don't, we just persist with players who are letting us down week-in week-out. We can't trust Rodgers and the commitee to spend much, but we can't pretend this squad is of the required quality for the rest of the season. Think we'll probably go for another window like we did in January 2013, couple of buys to come straight into the team, £20-25m, hope it works out.

Probably a centreback and a striker. Maybe more if we can offload a couple of players as well.

Has Coutinho found any consistency yet? That was always the biggest worry iirc.

Has Gerrard lost his legs again? I heard talk of him perhaps leaving Liverpool recently.

Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate you bringing me up to speed!

subtles

This apologizing for double posting needs to stop. It made sense back in the day, when shitty internet and terrible forum code lead to actual double posting, makes no sense when you got something to say and it just happens nobody posts between your posts.

Blessed Zab. Thank you for recommending Veep + The Good Wife. Never would have seen them otherwise.

I still need to finish the fifth season of The Wire but
the loss of Brody wasn't welcomed.
I hope it lives up to the third and fourth arcs.

Has Coutinho found any consistency yet? That was always the biggest worry iirc.

Has Gerrard lost his legs again? I heard talk of him perhaps leaving Liverpool recently.

Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate you bringing me up to speed!

Coutinho has become Joe Allen. Tidy enough, doesn't lose the ball much, but nobody is making the runs necessary for him to make use of his through ball ability. Also suffering from the same thing Sterling is, nobody is making the runs to take defenders away, so he's always faced with 2, normally 3 defenders between him and the position you want him to be in.

Gerrard never had his legs back to lose them again

The time has arrived where he needs a spell on the bench, then its up to him if that's good enough. I'd like him to remain a one-club man, but not at the cost of protecting his ego and keeping him in the first 11 when he doesn't deserve to be there anymore.

And I'm the last person to get annoyed by a plethora of questions :p

edit: Step up Linius/dc

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
What else have I missed?!
Mancini is back with Inter

David took on Goliath

Fellaini-Wilshere.jpg

Wilbur genuinely fucking hates me now

Roma players hit up a Moscow strip club after their last minute agonizing draw with CSKA

Bruce Grobbelaar. "Mignolet is worse than Dracula, because at least Dracula comes out of his coffin now and then. He seems to stay on his line and that's it. That whole area, not just the six-yard area, is the goalkeeper's

Homeland's S4 is BRILLIANT

and apparently The Walking Dead is now (unironically) gud?

Zabojnik

Blessed Zab. Thank you for recommending Veep + The Good Wife. Never would have seen them otherwise.

I still need to finish the fifth season of The Wire but
the loss of Brody wasn't welcomed.
I hope it lives up to the third and fourth arcs.

Glad you've enjoyed both! The fifth season is somewhat inferior and a bit 'out there', but it's still The Wire.

I don't know about you guys but even after the shit season we had with him last year I fucking love David Moyes.

Well maybe due to that. It's complicated.

Salazar

Can't help thinking of the Wire's account of Baltimore police when listening to Serial

Kima would have psychologically broken Jay

subtles

His wry smile was the best bit. "They got you good, huh?" at the start of the fourth was perhaps my favorite. Damn was the show good. The
Amsterdam
arc was incredible.

Don't be naive, subtles :lol
We need to fit the man into a new frame.

He has international experience, dammit.

Elchele

He's no Alaba, that's for sure.

Is Yesil still injured?

He's no Alaba, that's for sure.

Is Yesil still injured?

Yesil's been back for a while, but his injuries are the kinds that basically destroy young players' careers. Robbed him of some mobility, and well over a year of development at one of the most vital stages of a player's career.

I don't think Remy is injured but Drogba has done extremely well since returning. Never expected him to play this many games/score this many goals. I fucking love him and am so happy he is still doing a shift for the team.

KidJr

For as much as he has higher ceiling than Ramsey and the form he was in (thought he has actually been our best midfielder) WIlshere's season being over doesnt really matter. I have full confidence Ramsey can/will step up. So I dont think he will be missed.

Even though neither team was at full strength but still think it was a good performance. Highlights being, we seemed to have found a bit of passing rhythm, the guys seem to be able to take it in tight spaces (lol) and move the the ball around quick enough to not get caught out.

Arsenal fans can we take a moment to applaud how good Kieran Gibbs is becoming? I actually thought his positioning was off a few times on the counter but he knew exactly what he was doing (recovery pace) and for the majority of his game had his side well covered.

Bloody f*cking Arteta, why the ful have you not been playing like this all season! He looks soo up for it right now, like yeah people are bigger, stronger, faster than you but atleast your trying to get stuck in (still not good enough in the DM role) but his distribution was fantastic last night. Real shame about the injury.

The Ox... he's on his way to becoming a very very good player, he's quick, strong and he's not too bad on the ball. I still want more from him in terms of end product but fucking fantastic game and think he's in decent form, needs to make runs without the ball more though. IMO this is what seperates him from Walcott (I think Ox is actually better all round), walcott stretches defenders and teams by his selfless (and incredibly well timed) runs, Ox always wants the ball at his feet unless they're on the break.

Carzola... been woeful this season up until last night, he's still better than that ( I dont get how someone so technically gifted has been so poor) but hopefully if he comes into form things will happen for us.

Sanchez... running out of superlatives for this guy. I genuinly dont know who is better out of him or say Hazard, he's a lot better technically than I think people give him credit for.

The bad... Wenger has instilled in us to become a pressing a team, which is fine, I actually like it. We just simply not good enough at it as yet, especially over 90 minutes. We have too many lapses in concentration, we still could be even in more incisive with our passing and the long and short of it is, we still need a DM and CB.

Top Bottom