• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

FootballFan

tumblr_nfs16tB5cf1spbes5o1_400.gif

Haha. Lewa got dem Bayern genes already.

Haha he is great <3

3Sixty

Basketball bet went close last night, Clippers and Bucks doing they thing.

Golden State couldn't cover the spread and Portland killed me.

Today is another day #wegoagain

Blablurn

Basketball bet went close last night, Clippers and Bucks doing they thing.

Golden State couldn't cover the spread and Portland killed me.

Today is another day #wegoagain

Is betting your main job or do you something besides that?

You don't need to answer if its getting to personal.

Blablurn

I don't understand depression. I know, everyone has times when you feel down but my friend told me something yesterday. Her class was visiting a hospital for children from war regions. They come to Germany to get treatment, operations etc and then leave again. She told me that the children never have been happier than during this short time in Germany.

I'm thinking about this since more and more depression threads popped up on GAF lately. Of course there is more to depression than my naive thinking of "Just look at those children who have it way worse than you". At least I guess there is more. Otherwise rich Hollywood stars wouldn't commit suicide. Still. Am I the only one who thinks what people go often for the easy cop out by using depression as an instant excuse. Especially if you have a daily meal, electronics and a roof above your head?

But I'm not speaking for everyone of course. There are I'm sure enough people whose depressions are based on serious incidents.

3Sixty

I don't understand depression. I know, everyone has times when you feel down but my friend told me something yesterday. Her class was visiting a hospital for children from war regions. They come to Germany to get treatment, operations etc and then leave again. She told me that the children never have been happier than during this short time in Germany.

I'm thinking about this since more and more depression threads popped up on GAF lately. Of course there is more to depression than my naive thinking of "Just look at those children who have it way worse than you". At least I guess there is more. Otherwise rich Hollywood stars wouldn't commit suicide. Still. Am I the only one who thinks what people go often for the easy cop out by using depression as an instant excuse. Especially if you have a daily meal, electronics and a roof above your head?

But I'm not speaking for everyone of course. There are I'm sure enough people whose depressions are based on serious incidents.

I've felt that way before Bla. But you must understand depression is a metal illness, you can't apply normal logic to it.

When Bayern Munich win the title do they lift the shield the game they win it in or wait til the last home game like in England? Might buy tickets to Munich vs. Mainz if it's the last game.

Blablurn

I've felt that way before Bla. But you must understand depression is a metal illness, you can't apply normal logic to it.

Yeah. I know. I'm underestimating the problem.

But I kinda wanted to express my feelings about it. But I didnt want do it in those threads.

In my friends cricle we have someone who complains about life and everything because he can't get a girl. Every day he sends text messages to a friend of mine, complaining about life is. But he doesn't even wanna go to an expert. Sometimes I just want to tell him to get a grip. But I don't want to be THAT guy. His brother should do it.

When Bayern Munich win the title do they lift the shield the game they win it in or wait til the last home game like in England? Might buy tickets to Munich vs. Mainz if it's the last game.

We'll get it in the last home game!

Empty

depression robs you of the ability to appreciate those things. it's not a rational sadness, like my friend died and it sucks or i live in poverty and i struggle to find food to eat for my family. the great things you have become irrelevant to you when your brain is constantly telling you that you don't deserve them, can't do anything right, are garbage, worthless. you also feel worse for having all those things that should make you happy and still being unhappy.

Blablurn

depression robs you of the ability to appreciate those things. it's not a rational sadness, like my friend died and it sucks or i live in poverty and i struggle to find food to eat for my family. the great things you have become irrelevant to you when your brain is constantly telling you that you don't deserve them, can't do anything right, are garbage, worthless. you also feel worse for having all those things that should make you happy and still being unhappy.

I'm not doubting these scenarios.

Just the ones where a person actually has a solid life with food, a house and normal stuff. Yet they fall into depression.

you also feel worse for having all those things that should make you happy and still being unhappy.

Yeah, I guess this is what I'm not comprehending.

If anyone feels offended, please excuse my naivety. Just random thoughts I had after reading dem GAF threads.

WJD

Feel rough as fuck. Tears keep rolling down my face and I don't know why.

RVP's gonna start today isn't he?

Salazar

I'm not doubting these scenarios.

Just the ones where a person actually has a solid life with food, a house and normal stuff. Yet they fall into depression.

Aye. That was me, really. Lost the work I was doing, went through the job-seeking humiliation spin-cycle, stopped seeing folks, stopped going out, if at all possible, lost all semblance of a sleep cycle, stopped eating, lost the ability to conceptualise even the short-term future, lost the ability to make rudimentary decisions, became seized by guilt. Directionless fury, too, when I had the energy for it. A substantial part of it was physiological, I'm sure - in origin or exacerbation.

I was pretty financially secure. I wasn't afflicted by any severe illness (until the depression and satellite conditions kicked in). I had rewarding cultural interests and wasn't an outcast or supreme introvert. It just happens, man.

Blablurn

Aye. That was me, really. Lost the work I was doing, went through the job-seeking humiliation spin-cycle, stopped seeing folks, stopped going out, if at all possible, lost all semblance of a sleep cycle, stopped eating, lost the ability to conceptualise even the short-term future, lost the ability to make rudimentary decisions, became seized by guilt. A substantial part of it was physiological, I'm sure - in origin or exacerbation.

I was pretty financially secure. I wasn't afflicted by any severe illness (until the depression and satellite conditions kicked in). I had rewarding cultural interests and wasn't an outcast or supreme introvert. It just happens, man.

How did you get out of depression???

sohois

Yeah it is interesting, although it doesn't put enough emphasis on what Liverpool achieved last season, and sidesteps achievements like Atletico's.

And of course, more crucially, how his data goes completely against Sohois' own.

:lol:lol

I've been meaning to dig up Sohois's analysis of why Liverpool's signings would end up superior to United's.

I wish it was my own data, but sadly I rarely put in the legwork of actually doing statistical analysis myself, i merely borrow the work of others. I do occasionally put together some quick stuff myself, as when I - correctly - predicted RVP's rapid decline this season, but nothing more. And I don't believe I ever offered much comment on the signings of either team, since player predictive statistics are still fairly basic - case in point that I didn't really predict a rapid decline, only going so far as to suggest he was highly unlikely to exceed 15 league goals.

In any case, as there is a direct correlation between wage bills and points in the PL, it will indeed always remain very difficult for Liverpool without a very large increase in spending to end up winning the league. Chelsea and City are likely to dominate the league titles for the near future. You do raise the point of A Madrid, but it should be noted that whilst it is fairly likely that a team disrupts the status quo on occasion, it can be any team, any individual team is still quite unlikely.

Salazar

How did you get out of depression???

In-patient clinical care. Semi-voluntary.

I had a pretty goddamn adversarial response to therapy. I was initially determined, as so many patients are, to prove my intellect to the therapist. To convince them of my rational capacities - to indicate that I can't be as fucked up as you say, because LOOK AT ME GO, MOTHERFUCKER.

But you lose interest in that.

I just wanted to be part of the outside world again, man. There's almost nothing like a mental health clinic to make you think "fuck, I wonder what's happening outside. Probably something good". I'm nowhere near saying that's a uniform effect of institutionalisation. It's not like that fixes folks in a basic cause-effect fashion, because this shit is more complex and difficult and persistent than that. But it did for me.

Blablurn

In-patient clinical care. Semi-voluntary.

I had a pretty goddamn adversarial response to therapy. I was initially determined, as so many patients are, to prove my intellect to the therapist. To convince them of my rational capacities - to indicate that I can't be as fucked up as you say, because LOOK AT ME GO, MOTHERFUCKER.

But you lose interest in that.

I just wanted to be part of the outside world again, man. There's almost nothing like a mental health clinic to make you think "fuck, I wonder what's happening outside. Probably something good". I'm nowhere near saying that's a uniform effect of institutionalisation. It's not like that fixes folks in a basic cause-effect fashion, because this shit is more complex and difficult and persistent than that. But it did for me.
Glad it worked out for you, buddy! Stay healthy!

Massively disagree. If anything, depression is under-treated. Mental illness is real, son.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Had a friend who not only looked like Tom Cruise, but he was well off and dating an awesome friend of mine, but then out of nowhere he committed suicide. He talked to her for hours and hours before doing it too, I guess that was his way of saying goodbye

So many awesome people like Hixx, Salo-san and GoddMorsel are/were depressed too ;_; why bbs ;_; one of you is blonde, the other is a bearded soon-to-be professor/model and the latter is living the dream in Japan and has green eyes.

Arnie

As said above depression is a mental illness and standard logic doesn't apply. When I have little flashes it doesn't make it any easier because there's a PS4 in the front room and some left over chicken wings in my fridge. It just is what it is. I cope with it a lot better now than I did when I was, say, 18. It's herreditary also.

Just read the Herrera stuff. Bananas. Him and Fellaini are the snidest midfield in the league. One throwing phantom elbows, the other taking phantom payments.

3Sixty

I've never suffered. In fact even when I'm supposed to feel down and upset I tend to get over it quicker than I should.

I think I'm pretty disconnected from reality to be honest :\

Just had a McDonalds breakfast and got some left over Pizza in the fridge, don't get much better.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
As said above depression is a mental illness and standard logic doesn't apply. When I have little flashes it doesn't make it any easier because there's a PS4 in the front room and some left over chicken wings in my fridge. It just is what it is. I cope with it a lot better now than I did when I was, say, 18. It's herreditary also.

Just read the Herrera stuff. Bananas. Him and Fellaini are the snidest midfield in the league. One throwing phantom elbows, the other taking phantom payments.
I would walk around butt naked if I looked like Tom Hardy

With my Tom Hardy old man

Arnie

I've never suffered. In fact even when I'm supposed to feel down and upset I tend to get over it quicker than I should.

I think I'm pretty disconnected from reality to be honest :

Just had a McDonalds breakfast and got some left over Pizza in the fridge, don't get much better.
Work offered me £100 cash to come in for a few hours this morning and assist with an office rearrangement.

Couldn't say no. RBS are on my arse. Need the money.
I would walk around butt naked if I looked like Tom Hardy

With my Tom Hardy old man
I wish things were that simple.

What's the opposite of depression called? Where you just accept being in a pretty shit situation (relatively speaking) and convince yourself that its not so bad, and there's no real need for self-improvement?

I have the qualifications and financial security to get a better job, go to university, learn to drive, study from home, anything that would be good for my long term future is open to me, but I just convince myself over and over again that it'll fall into my lap. It goes beyond laziness and procrastination, I don't even remember that I'm supposed to be looking into doing these things until I'm about to go to bed.

I know that I don't want a promotion at work, and I know that I don't want to change departments, and I know that with those 2 things in mind and my ability to find something better, there is absolutely no reason for me to have been at Sainsburys for 6 years of my 24 on this planet. And I know that if I quit, I'd soon get bored of the empty days and find a job, but I always come up with some excuse not to take the rastic step needed for motivation.

Sometimes I think it'd be best to start from scratch, as though I'd just left school. Quit work, redo all of my CV, cover letter, reference stuff. Apply for anything that offers a ladder with reasonable methods of climbing it, unlike becoming team leader at Sainsburys with the forced, unpaid overtime, cancelled holidays, working every day in the 2 weeks around Christmas, being left on your own to run the store overnight, essentially doing the manager's job while getting paid the same as the shelf-stackers. Fuck that. If you don't have your eyes on staying in retail for decades, climbing the ladder at our store just sounds like a waste of effort, and opens you up to be exploited by the actual managers.

First things first, gotta get a credit card to be locked away and never used. Someone just give me a job :p

(Obviously that is a better situation than having depression, not trying to draw parallels)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Go to college before it's too late

You'll love the experience and college-life

Still young to be in their age range

Fuck, it is a friends birthday tonight and trust Arsenal to be playing early. Gonna miss the game.

Also I am on the smelliest train of my life.

Shanks, you forgot about the hour time difference. You can fuck your friend off and still go back and watch Arsenal.

shit, this unlimited wine ia good.

jts

...hate me...
Kompany is actually a pretty level-headed player for a CD with his physique.

Now they were fighting for the ball and as the ball went out and Kompany was out of balance, Lewandowski decided to apply some unwarranted judo move. What a shithead cunt.

At least he has no chance of winning the UCL. Can't wait for Chelsea or Real Madrid to trash FCB out. Both of the FCBs, actually.

FootballFan

Kompany is actually a pretty level-headed player for a CD with his physique.

Now they were fighting for the ball and as the ball went out and Kompany was out of balance, Lewandowski decided to apply some unwarranted judo move. What a shithead cunt.

At least he has no chance of winning the UCL. Can't wait for Chelsea or Real Madrid to trash FCB out. Both of the FCBs, actually.

Disgusting post.

Top Bottom