• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Hixx

anyone in here interested in a digital copy of AC4: Black Flag for the Xbone? £7. PM me if you are.

I have 3353224 feedback, 99.6% positive

arkon

Watched Kick Ass. Mark Millar fingerprints all over that. One of those movies where you can switch your brain off and just forget about the story. I liked Hit Girl's purple hair. thank you

Watched Kick Ass. Mark Millar fingerprints all over that. One of those movies where you can switch your brain off and just forget about the story. I liked Hit Girl's purple hair. thank you

It's a great movie. Don't bother with the second.
l1x61OA.png

Dreading this match, Welbz is the new Suarez.

In that, you pray he doesn't score against you, never mind score the winner

I need to do FPL as well, is Sanchez still alive?

I didn't watch Sin City 2 as the first was shitty enough, It wasn't even that. Apparently the second is even worse? It's hard to feel sympathy for the ones who paid to watch it though, the same for those that went to see the amazing spiderman 2.pretty.

Scum

Dreading this match, Welbz is the new Suarez.

In that, you pray he doesn't score against you, never mind score the winner

I need to do FPL as well, is Sanchez still alive?

After Ra's Van Ghul shrugged of Dat Guy's chances at Man Utd, the footballing Sods' Law Gods will ensure that he ruins Man Utd day later today. He'll get the first goal or score the winner.

Scum

I didn't watch Sin City 2 as the first was shitty enough, It wasn't even that. Apparently the second is even worse? It's hard to feel sympathy for the ones who paid to watch it though, the same for those that went to see the amazing spiderman 2.pretty.

Amazing Spiderman 2 was dire. Sony should just come to deal about the rights with Marvel & Disney. They'll get more money that way.

Wilbur

Banned
pls. it was great at the time

but then again you liked X-men and X-men 2 :lol

I like x men 2.

Sin City has horrific dialogue and a bunch of good actors butchering said dialogue. Editing is awful and it feels like a parody. Looks decent. That's it.

Used to like it when I was 12. Rewatched it. Terrible.

Hixx

wooden

how incredibly frustrating is it to dislike everything ever

if souls were a thing and actually tangible

yours would be a fig

I like x men 2.

Sin City has horrific dialogue and a bunch of good actors butchering said dialogue. Editing is awful and it feels like a parody. Looks decent. That's it.

Used to like it when I was 12. Rewatched it. Terrible.

Sin City was so disappointing. I read the comics first and the tone of them was very dark and nihilistic.

Then Robert Rodriguez came along and apparently asked his actors to turn in a pantomime quality performance. It's like dark noir material processed through the prism of a hyperactive idiot. There could barely be a less appropriate director for the material.

wooden

how incredibly frustrating is it to dislike everything ever

if souls were a thing and actually tangible

yours would be a fig

Please. I just said I liked both kickass, blade runner and boyhood in the last few posts.

Sin City just isn't a good movie.

Now From Dusk Till Dawn, that's a good movie by Rodriguez.

Wilbur

Banned
Watchmen was good though. More considered pace than Sin City, actors performed better, and because it's just better source material

Rodriguez's best film is Desperado

Watchmen was good though. More considered pace than Sin City, actors performed better, and because it's just better source material

Rodriguez's best film is Desperado

Aye, and he almost fucked that up with the random inviting his mariachi mates out for a gunfight scene which I pretty much have to skip through every time I watch it because it's so embarrassingly done.

missing out on Mata still hurts :(

I don't really know, to be honest. changes a lot. probably have to go with Die Hard or After Hours or like... one of the Charlie Kaufman films (not synecdoche though)

I do love Fincher, Spielberg, and Malick though. I'd say "who doesn't?" but I know a lot of people harbor an irrational hatred towards Spielberg because he's one of the very few directors who can actually pull off a sentimental story.

So you think Tree of Life is a good film?

Sin City was crap.

jtb

Banned
So you think Tree of Life is a good film?

Sin City was crap.

yeah, I liked, but didn't love, it the first time I saw it but it's grown on me a lot. I still think the sean penn scenes are terrible and add nothing to the film, but they don't bother me as much as they did the first time I saw it. and the childhood stuff remains incredible.

I prefer Malick's pre-haitus stuff to his Thin Red Line and beyond output, though. It has nothing to do with the time period or anything or a loss in talent , but I think Malick (and certainly his style) works best when in those concentrated 80-90 minute bursts. I don't want to call Malick indulgent because that's the whole fucking point, but his films that are longer than two hours are a bit too bloated for me (see: the new world).

I want JTB's opinion though. It would be weird if he rated Tree of Life, but didn't like Blade Runner. Both beautiful films that are slow paced.

I don't think Blade Runner is slow at all. I don't really mind Tree of Life's pacing, more just Sean Penn being terrible.

I don't think the two movies have much in common. My standard for Blade Runner, like the film at its highest aspiration, would be something like Chinatown. and I don't think it's remotely close to as good as Chinatown.

wedward

What is everyone's favorite Malick film?

Think mine might be Thin Red Line.

Tree of Life in theaters was pretty incredible though.

jtb

Banned
Days of Heaven, with Tree of Life, Thin Red Line, and Badlands all tied for a distant second

The ending of Tree of Life was kind of crap though.

I like the ending. a very personal, spiritual end to a very personal, spiritual film. it's so desperately earnest that I couldn't help but be moved by it.

especially everything with the
brother
. also daddy issues. I love that shit in stories: books, films, everything

FootballFan

As a longtime lurker posting here feels like losing my virginity. High pulse, little satisfaction. But it has to happen sometime I guess.

The next OP (who will it be?) can write me up as an Ajax/Arsenal-supporter, although I'm enjoying the dramatic entrance of Blind and 'gouwen pik' van Gaal at Manchester United as well. I'm curious as to how Van Gaal's interviews are regarded by you guys. I feel that in every interview he is very down-to-earth and logical, and enjoy watching them a lot (the weekly Van Gaal press conferences get broadcasted here in the Netherlands). He manages to expose the stupidity of the questions most interviewers dare ask his Gaalness very well. Or is my opinion wrong?

Welcome

Who do you support

I don't think Blade Runner is slow at all. I don't really mind Tree of Life's pacing, more just Sean Penn being terrible.

I don't think the two movies have much in common. My standard for Blade Runner, like the film at its highest aspiration, would be something like Chinatown. and I don't think it's remotely close to as good as Chinatown.

Chinatown is a different beast to Blade Runner. I don't think Blade Runner was trying to be what Chinatown was. LA Confidential has more in common with Chinatown.

Lightning

Banned
Fuck Federer. Switzerland better win the doubles or I'll be pissed.

Arsenal vs United in 13 hours. Not really looking forward to it and we better not lose.

Linius

As a longtime lurker posting here feels like losing my virginity. High pulse, little satisfaction. But it has to happen sometime I guess.

The next OP (who will it be?) can write me up as an Ajax/Arsenal-supporter, although I'm enjoying the dramatic entrance of Blind and 'gouwen pik' van Gaal at Manchester United as well. I'm curious as to how Van Gaal's interviews are regarded by you guys. I feel that in every interview he is very down-to-earth and logical, and enjoy watching them a lot (the weekly Van Gaal press conferences get broadcasted here in the Netherlands). He manages to expose the stupidity of the questions most interviewers dare ask his Gaalness very well. Or is my opinion wrong?

De mooiste club van het land. Welkom!

Does football manager come with any sound, music, or anything? Ive loaded it up a few times (still havent actually played a match yet) and there is no sound. Maybe there just isnt any?

Scum

Does football manager come with any sound, music, or anything? Ive loaded it up a few times (still havent actually played a match yet) and there is no sound. Maybe there just isnt any?

There's no music but crowd sounds should be on by default. Check the 'Preferences' screen. Just stick Spotify, iTunes or anything else on in the background instead.

FootballFan

Ugh the movie discussion.

Who cares about the story or whether the film has a plot, just turn your brain off and enjoy/hate.

I want JTB's opinion though. It would be weird if he rated Tree of Life, but didn't like Blade Runner. Both beautiful films that are slow paced.

I really like Blade Runner but fuck Tree of Life.

Wilbur

Banned
Tree of life is good apart from the Penn sections

Forgot how good GTA is. Played for about 10 hours just today. How disgusting. First person mode is fucking great.

Not excited for tomorrow at all. We're going to lose. Just can't handle the amount of injuries we have, unfortunately.

jtb

Banned
Chinatown is a different beast to Blade Runner. I don't think Blade Runner was trying to be what Chinatown was. LA Confidential has more in common with Chinatown.

I see Blade Runner and Chinatown both in a similar revisionist noir vein. they use their various settings and plot devices both as window dressing and to bring various themes to the forefront (sci-fi LA is obviously a bit more flashy than 1920s LA, but they both weren't contemporary to the films' production), but, at their core, they're noir films. structurally, plot-wise, character-wise, etc. and even then, I don't think future LA in blade runner is all that different from water starved 1920s LA. the settings are different but what they're trying to do and how they're trying to get there are the same

GorillaJu

Tree of life is good apart from the Penn sections

Forgot how good GTA is. Played for about 10 hours just today. How disgusting. First person mode is fucking great.

Not excited for tomorrow at all. We're going to lose. Just can't handle the amount of injuries we have, unfortunately.

You aren't going to lose. It's fucking Arsenal, m9

Top Bottom