• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Scum

I need another drink. I just spilt this one. Oh Dean. <3
5YRcF.gif

That's fine, but to ignore everything else and say the film sucks because the philosophy isn't all that complex, is a load of shit. That's something I'd see in a high school essay.

Comparing Sucker Punch to Blade Runner...

PSzFJgF.gif

Speed Racer also sucks

I wasn't, I was just thinking that attitude towards assessing a film's merits to be oddly familiar. For the record I think BR is a good movie (for reasons up to and including its visuals and music lol).

Wilbur

Banned
The idea of ignoring key elements of films is bizarre to me

"who fuckin cares about the story"

when they're trying to make me care by presenting me one, then it matters

The idea of ignoring key elements of games is bizarre to me

"who fuckin cares about the graphics"

when they're trying to make me care by presenting me with some, then it matters

3I2hmwu.png

wedward

Yup

"who cares about the story"

"this film has no plot"

"Just turn your brain off"

Makes me cringe anytime I see these.

Blade Runner explores humanity really well. So it's not just great for the atmosphere it creates, though that is a major reason why I love the movie. It's a great film.

jtb

Banned
I agree film is a poor vehicle for philosophy, but I wouldn't say BR utilises those ideas poorly within its medium. The Matrix, by way of comparison, is a good example of ham-fisted and skin deep use of philosophical concepts.

Also, I would ask you to logically reconsider the precept that something's premise deriving from a philosophy means it is shallow. Meaning I think you don't know what that means and you haven't thought it through.

I agree that the matrix is an example of skin deep use of philosophical concepts. I'm saying that Blade Runner presents a small handful of philosophical questions and then doesn't explore them at all. It's not complicating that question or nuancing them. It's handled tastefully enough; no architect speeches here.

It's not even exclusively a question of depth, the surface level ideas aren't really presented in interesting or clever ways (imo, obviously), you take it all in at face value because the film tells you to and that's fine. I wouldn't call it a weakness of the film, I wouldn't call it a strength.

I don't think Blade Runner is a bad film. I think it's unremarkable. It's middle of the road. Not a great sci-fi film, not a great noir film, and just the fact that it puts both together isn't enough to compensate for that. One of the most beautiful films ever made. I think a simple slasher film like Alien explores its ideas in far more interesting and clever ways than Blade Runner.

inky

I have my mum helping me with this looooool, I am so sad and pathetic
l1x61OA.png

EDIT: THANKS EMIL (AND MUM) FOR YOUR HELP <3

Don't feel bad man. I wish my ma knew how to do that stuff.

Heck, maybe she does, but most of the time she just pretends she doesn't understand what the computer is doing, then she guilts me into doing her homework for her.
H7bIKlW.png

I think I do need a plot in movies too, but I also didn't find Blade Runner to completely lack any as some suggests. There was things going on, but I can enjoy a not so great plot if something else makes up for it, bladerunner had a decent plot and other things going for it. Which made it fairly good. Boyhood barely had anything other than "boy grows up", and I still really liked that, and I can't even tell you what I actually liked about it.

Don't feel bad man. I wish my ma knew how to do that stuff.

Heck, maybe she does, but most of the times she just pretends she doesn't understand what the computer is doing, the she guilts me into doing her homework for her.
H7bIKlW.png

My mom is fairly competent with a computer, my dad however is a fucking idiot as soon as there's some problem solving involved. He will call me to ask the most simple things. I tried to teach him how to google stuff, but he refuses, he's like Wilbur when there's some subject he refuses to know anything about, he will just end up saying "well it's easier if you do it".

and when there's virus on his computer he has always been on websites with url's about fucking machines.
l1x61OA.png

I think I do need a plot in movies too, but I also didn't find Blade Runner to completely lack any as some suggests. There was things going on, but I can enjoy a not so great plot if something else makes up for it, bladerunner had a decent plot and other things going for it. Which made it fairly good. Boyhood barely had anything other than "boy grows up", and I still really liked that, and I can't even tell you what I actually liked about it.

My mom is fairly competent with a computer, my dad however is a fucking idiot as soon as there's some problem solving involved. He will call me to ask the most simple things. I tried to teach him how to google stuff, but he refuses, he's like Wilbur when there's some subject he refuses to know anything about, he will just end up saying "well it's easier if you do it".

and when there's virus on his computer he has always been on websites with url's about fucking machines.
l1x61OA.png

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I like to think that in some way the amount of times I've typed out the word philosophy in the last hour would satisfy Gahl.

He would enjoy the philosophy of Blade Runner. The philosophy is the process that constantly evaluates humans/his staff, steering the viewer/team to victory and enlightenment. From the Voight-Kampff test that reveals the nature of a being/player (though flawed that made him rethink RVP's character), to the chess game that shows the arrogance of a powerful being/Rooney that will eventually lead to its extinction.

Gaal would love this movie. He, after all, loves beautiful football.

Scum

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Manchester United are planning for life without Robin van Persie and look certain to part company with the 31-year-old Dutch striker in the summer with a year remaining on his current contract. (Independent)
Arsenal are favourites to sign goalkeeper Petr Cech, 32, from Chelsea should they pay the £7m asking price, although Liverpool, AC Milan, Roma and Real Madrid are also in the frame. (Daily Mail)
Real Madrid's hopes of signing Raheem Sterling, 19, have been dashed after the England winger hinted he is about to commit his long-term future to Liverpool. (Daily Mirror)
Juventus are willing to listen to offers for 27-year-old Manchester United target Arturo Vidal next summer. (Daily Star)
Arsenal are plotting a £30m bid for Monaco's Joao Moutinho, 28, as a replacement for Mikel Arteta. (Express)
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers wants to sign West Brom's England striker Saido Berahino, 21, in January. (Daily Mirror)
But Rodgers has revealed Liverpool cannot bring forward the signing of Divock Origi to the January window. (Daily Telegraph)
Scotland international full-back Andrew Robertson, 20, insists he has no plans to leave Hull, despite his rising profile. (Daily Star)
Barcelona forward Lionel Messi, 27, may leave Spain after continuing to fall foul of the tax authorities. (Guardian)
Chelsea will beat Tottenham to 23-year-old HNK Rijeka striker Andrej Kramaric in January. (Daily Star)
Norwegian starlet Martin Odegaard, 15, is set to reject Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal in order to pen a five-year deal with Real Madrid. (Express)

OTHER GOSSIP
Southampton boss Ronald Koeman has confirmed the club have opened contract talks with 23-year-old full-back Nathaniel Clyne. (Daily Mail)
Borussia Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp has admitted he would be open to offers from Premier League clubs, saying England is the only other country he would consider working in. (Daily Mail)
QPR midfielder Joey Barton has been backed to become a manager when he finishes playing by Newcastle boss Alan Pardew. (Daily Mirror)
Real Madrid's 27-year-old midfielder Sami Khedira, who is a target for a number of Premier League clubs, has told the Spanish club he wants to sign a new deal. (Daily Star)

BEST OF SOCIAL MEDIA
Wayne Rooney has revealed the inspiration behind his cartwheel goal celebration in England's 3-1 win against Scotland - his son Kai, who is shown cartwheeling in the tunnel at Celtic Park in a video on the striker's Instagram page.
Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo is already getting into the Christmas spirit. He has posted a picture on Instagram of himself and his son posing with Santa Claus.

AND FINALLY
Forward Gareth Bale, 25, has admitted he has everything he could wish for since joining Real Madrid - except for a local branch of chicken restaurant Nando's. (Daily Telegraph)
Gus Poyet has admitted he feared midfielder Lee Cattermole, 26, would be "uncontrollable" when he took charge at Sunderland. (Daily Mirror)

I love these gossips. loool

Scum

Real Madrid's hopes of signing Raheem Sterling, 19, have been dashed after the England winger hinted he is about to commit his long-term future to Liverpool. (Daily Mirror)

Yeah. That will stop 'em.
idyhqpvzVPjZq.png

Messi might leave Spain because of tax issues?

Wenger was talking about Messi this morning?

Welcome to Arsenal, Lionel.

Before the much needed CB & DM that Wenger needs? wedward, pls.

Beating Spurs to a 23 year old guy from the Croatian league though.
H7bIKlW.png

You are right. Cesc is probably fucking Messi's wife.

Welcome to Arsenal, Messi.

Messi is impotent due to drug abuse, he will move to Chelsea to have someone he can trust, like Fabregas, satisfy her needs.

Scum

Wooden, pls. There's only one reason and it's tax problems. Cesc can't help there, but there is obviously someone else who can...

XbrF8Ao.png

Esch

Banned
For the love of god someone get Hazard a razor. Worst facial hair in any league. Plebe 18 year old shit.

jtb

Banned
missing out on Mata still hurts :(

Good shout.

I don't really know, to be honest. changes a lot. probably have to go with Die Hard or After Hours or like... one of the Charlie Kaufman films (not synecdoche though)

I do love Fincher, Spielberg, and Malick though. I'd say "who doesn't?" but I know a lot of people harbor an irrational hatred towards Spielberg because he's one of the very few directors who can actually pull off a sentimental story.

Scum

Didn't Wenger have the chance of getting Mata for less than what Chelsea paid for him but he couldn't be arsed to trigger the release clause? I remember the figure of around £23m(?) been touted about...

wedward

I don't really know, to be honest. changes a lot. probably have to go with Die Hard or After Hours or like... one of the Charlie Kaufman films (not synecdoche though)

I do love Fincher, Spielberg, and Malick though. I'd say "who doesn't?" but I know a lot of people harbor an irrational hatred towards Spielberg because he's one of the very few directors who can actually pull off a sentimental story.

I like Spielberg and Fincher. Fincher has had a better 10 years than Spielberg, but Spielberg's career is pretty incredible.

Has made a lot of shit recently though.

Malick is Malick.

Not bothered about missing out on Mata. Rather have Ozil in the middle and our wide options are better than him. He'd be an upgrade on Santi though.

jtb

Banned
I like Spielberg and Fincher. Fincher has had a better 10 years than Spielberg, but Spielberg's career is pretty incredible.

Has made a lot of shit recently though.

Malick is Malick.

did you watch that Abraham Lincoln film Malick's so-called "protege" made? I thought it was getting festival buzz but I guess it didn't get particularly good reviews because it's got a pretty terrible rating on RT right now

edit: "the better angels." I don't even know if it's been released yet

wedward

did you watch that Abraham Lincoln film Malick's so-called "protege" made? I thought it was getting festival buzz but I guess it didn't get particularly good reviews because it's got a pretty terrible rating on RT right now

edit: "the better angels." I don't even know if it's been released yet

Haven't seen it yet. Probably will check it out. Looks a little too similar to Malick. Like if Malick weren't his buddy Malick should sue.

It's actually 10x worse because he's shaved his face and left the neck

Passive neckbeard > active neckbeard

Can't argue with maths

You're wrong.

But speaking of neckbeards, Morganella from palermo really needs to sort out his shit.

E5gwvm2.png

r2f8eGs.jpg

Ue1ipct.jpg

This is the guy who under the olympics in 2012 tweeted "I want to beat up all South Koreans! Bunch of mentally handicapped retards!".
Ww20iim.png

Esch

Banned
You're wrong.

But speaking of neckbeards, Morganella from palermo really needs to sort out his shit.

Gonna disagree with you here. I think he deserves dap, if only because he's taken this grotesque shit as far as humanly possible, with probably zero pretension that it looks good. On the other hand, Hazard and De Gea are young, just sprouting some pubes, talented players. The former probably sees that armpitfacestrap he's rocking and stops to stroke his chin in the mirror.

Scum

You're wrong.

E5gwvm2.png

r2f8eGs.jpg

Ue1ipct.jpg

This is the guy who under the olympics in 2012 tweeted "I want to beat up all South Koreans! Bunch of mentally handicapped retards!".
Ww20iim.png

nt5j5sS.png

Top Bottom