• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

wedward

I'm pretty much convinced at this point that ridley scott has never had a fucking clue what he's doing, either. he and christian bale are people that I just take for granted that they're super talented, despite the fact that they haven't done anything half-decent in fucking ages... I want Exodus to be good, but it's looking worse with each trailer

it looks way more robin hood than kingdom of heaven....

The Fighter was 2010. He was good in American Hustle. Movie was shit, but he was good.

Exodus is going to be shit. No doubt.

I'm pretty much convinced at this point that ridley scott has never had a fucking clue what he's doing, either. he and christian bale are people that I just take for granted that they're super talented, despite the fact that they haven't done anything half-decent in fucking ages... I want Exodus to be good, but it's looking worse with each trailer

it looks way more robin hood than kingdom of heaven....

The fact that you're insinuating that there is anything particularly praiseworthy about KoH (director's cut or otherwise) somewhat debases the position from which you argue.

Carbonox

cranberry green tea

untitled-5jmj4o.gif

jtb

Banned
nah kingdom of heaven DC is one of the last (maybe the last... don't remember when it came out) great historical epics.... really the only negative it has is orlando bloom as a lead. he's not even bad, he's just bland in a very competent, forgettable way.

it's certainly the last good Ridley Scott movie. good god the counselor was horrific

i cant handle these tabloids lying about me

7IeByDM.png

England in the WC finale. :']

Chalobah set up the first goal, then Hart got injured and couldn't catch anything so Brazil won 3-1 in the end.

L1NETT

nah kingdom of heaven DC is one of the last (maybe the last... don't remember when it came out) great historical epics....

untitled-5jmj4o.gif

u fuckin wut

it's sappy sentimental saggy bilge. Bloated boring bullshite. Hey guys you know those interesting 12th century figures. nah sod them here are some i made up. oh you know those complex religious ideas. nah sod them can't we all just get along

yawn

wedward

What else is coming out this year?

I'll see Inherent Vice and Foxcatcher, but I can't really think of much else.

Praying there is something good to see on Xmas. Doubt my family will want to see American Sniper.

Malick needs to release one.

untitled-5jmj4o.gif

u fuckin wut

it's sappy sentimental saggy bilge. Bloated boring bullshite. Hey guys you know those interesting 12th century figures. nah sod them here are some i made up. oh you know those complex religious ideas. nah sod them can't we all just get along

yawn

It's so shit.

No, it's worse than that. It's not your usual kind of shit. It's shit masquerading as mildly acceptable by-the-number big-budget epic with no memorable or redeemable features.

But sure, Blade Runner is bland.

Wilbur

Banned

Praying there is something good to see on Xmas. Doubt my family will want to see American Sniper.

There are six films in the cinema right now that I want to see

The Imitation Game
Get On Up
Mr Turner
What We Did In The Shadows
The Drop
The Homesman

Scum

i cant handle these tabloids lying about me

7IeByDM.png

England in the WC finale. :']

Chalobah set up the first goal, then Hart got injured and couldn't catch anything so Brazil won 3-1 in the end.

lol

Chalobah has come good. I also saw Will Hughes in your squad. How is he?

But that's the size I made it (100 by 120, right?) :/

100 width, 120 height. You must have noticed that everyones elses avatars are tall, while yours is full on landscape mode.
jsEsxkl.png

lol

Chalobah has come good. I also saw Will Hughes in your squad. How is he?

Only had him for half a season. Not that great yet, but solid enough. Also the Watford board is fucking mental. First they expand the stadium for a hell lot of money... and then they instantly started building a new stadium just after. Now they refuse to give me more money, so I'm stuck with only Dybala and Bamford, and a 16 year old regen as my striking force, in my first season with CL.

L1NETT

only thing I wanna check out is Black Sea (think it's early 2015 across pond)

oh aye Drop looks good. Hardy me up

dragged to see Imitation Game

Wank. Only thing it was imitating was an unforgettable piece of shite. With some really uncomfortable things it claimed about Turing which I won't waste the energy divulging here

Clegg

Bought the new Dragon Age. Very early into it but enjoying it so far. Maye they could've done a bit more to explain the systems to you but that's a minor complaint.

Scum

100 width, 120 height. You must have noticed that everyones elses avatars are tall, while yours is full on landscape mode.
jsEsxkl.png

Only had him for half a season. Not that great yet, but solid enough. Also the Watford board is fucking mental. First they expand the stadium for a hell lot of money... and then they instantly started building a new stadium just after. Now they refuse to give me more money, so I'm stuck with only Dybala and Bamford, and a 16 year old regen as my striking force, in my first season with CL.

Ruh oh. Don't you have two CL qualifier games before the group stages?

wedward

only thing I wanna check out is Black Sea (think it's early 2015 across pond)

oh aye Drop looks good. Hardy me up

dragged to see Imitation Game

Wank. Only thing it was imitating was a unforgettable piece of shite. With some really uncomfortable things it claimed about Turing which I won't waste the energy divulging here

The Drop is good. Came out here a couple months ago. Hardy is on a roll.

Most looking forward to Midnight Special. Don't think it comes out until late 2015.

jtb

Banned
everything I've read about imitiation game sounds like generic hollywood biopic fare... disappointing (and weird career choice too) considering how fun headhunters was

and that stephen hawking film looks terrible too

(oh and kingdom of heaven is actually fucking brilliant. sorry but you're all wrong about that. also "philosophical depth"? really? really?)

inky

Best Ridley Scott movie is Alien anyway, so I can understand why everything after that feels like a disappointment.

everything I've read about imitiation game sounds like generic hollywood biopic fare... disappointing (and weird career choice too) considering how fun headhunters was

and that stephen hawking film looks terrible too

(oh and kingdom of heaven is actually fucking brilliant. sorry but you're all wrong about that. also "philosophical depth"? really? really?)

Not a reader of Baudrillard I guess.

I'm just going to quote my first post again then.

jsEsxkl.png

That image is as I predicted, 120 pixel wide, and 100 tall. Not 100 wide and 120 tall as it should be, unless you want vbulletin to rescale it (which it does poorly, without transparancy). DEAN PLEASE. It's pretty easy to see that your avatar is wider than it's tall. Why don't you listen to me? I hope Lloyd beats you

jtb

Banned
Not a reader of Baudrillard I guess.

the philosophy of blade runner is entirely contained within its premise. that's the exact opposite of "depth."

I don't think film is a good medium to discuss philosophy or ideas anyways, so I'm not really judging BR on those terms, but it's still a terrible argument in support of it.

the philosophy of blade runner is entirely contained within its premise. that's the exact opposite of "depth."

I don't think film is a good medium to discuss philosophy or ideas anyways, so I'm not really judging BR on those terms, but it's still a terrible argument in support of it.

I agree film is a poor vehicle for philosophy, but I wouldn't say BR utilises those ideas poorly within its medium. The Matrix, by way of comparison, is a good example of ham-fisted and skin deep use of philosophical concepts.

Also, I would ask you to logically reconsider the precept that something's premise deriving from a philosophy means it is shallow. Meaning I think you don't know what that means and you haven't thought it through.

jts

...hate me...

That image is as I predicted, 120 pixel wide, and 100 tall. Not 100 wide and 120 tall as it should be, unless you want vbulletin to rescale it (which it does poorly, without transparancy). DEAN PLEASE. It's pretty easy to see that your avatar is wider than it's tall. Why don't you listen to me? I hope Lloyd beats you
You are correct that his is badly proportioned, but an avvy can still be wider than taller, as long as it respects the maximum width. You can make like a 50(H)x100(W) and it won't get rescaled
XbrF8Ao.png

Blade Runner and 2001 are like my litmus tests for people. If someone hates both (or even just one), their taste is automatically shit.

This method has worked well thus far.

also LOL who the fuck watches Blade Runner for philosophy? Get the fuck out with that shit. You watch it for the visuals and the music. Everything else is just extra

I have my mum helping me with this looooool, I am so sad and pathetic
l1x61OA.png

EDIT: THANKS EMIL (AND MUM) FOR YOUR HELP <3

wedward

also LOL who the fuck watches Blade Runner for philosophy? Get the fuck out with that shit. You watch it for the visuals and the music. Everything else is just extra

Why do you have to watch it for something?

Just watch the movie and take away from it what you will.

Actually rewatched Blade Runner recently after not having seen it since I was a kid. I quite liked it, not really in my favorite movies ever list, but it was good. Plots are overrated anyway, boyhood told us that.

You are correct that his is badly proportioned, but an avvy can still be wider than taller, as long as it respects the maximum width. You can make like a 50(H)x100(W) and it won't get rescaled
XbrF8Ao.png

We don't need to make this anymore complicated for Dean than it already is.
xPSlPCU.png

I have my mum helping me with this looooool, I am so sad and pathetic
l1x61OA.png

Say hello to Claire from me.

and show her the nude i sent in whatsapp a few weeks ago

Blade Runner and 2001 are like my litmus tests for people. If someone hates both (or even just one), their taste is automatically shit.

This method has worked well thus far.

I feel like this is the widespread GAFfer motto that saw Sucker Punch become popular.

Holy shit Dean :lol

Why do you have to watch it for something?

Just watch the movie and take away from it what you will.
That's fine, but to ignore everything else and say the film sucks because the philosophy isn't all that complex, is a load of shit. That's something I'd see in a high school essay.

I feel like this is the widespread GAFfer motto that saw Sucker Punch become popular.
Comparing Sucker Punch to Blade Runner...

PSzFJgF.gif

Speed Racer also sucks

Top Bottom