• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Facism

Thanks El Topo for the classy PM <3

OK since the round of football is over and no one is awake right now :p remember when my mood dipped the other day? [spoiler tag in a spoiler tag] "no"[spoilertag] Apparently one of my childhood best friends died that same morning (and I didn't know about it until last night), funny how that works really! Anyway, I didn't wanna say anything about it because a) no one cares :lol b) bit selfish to say this stuff during games and be a party pooper innit. I'm flying tomorrow to pay my respects personally (no Viola-Juve for me!). His mum said he died in his sleep, but is that really common for a guy in his early 20s?! Anyway, my only request is that we don't turn this thread into "RIP" posts, it's okay guys xoxo <3

FOOTBALL LETS TALK FOOTBALL

Brendan's All-Time BPL XI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kbscJu1eo0

"but why's gerrard not on it lewl" oh fuck off :lol

Sorry for your loss, mate.

*footygafhugz

Blablurn

where is best bud? pls don't hate me because I'm beautiful, brad.

added you.

thats the latest one with all dem updates

footygaf2jjlge.png

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
No ShakeAppeal, Fade and Ricky in the Hall as well.

A crime

Bla, you're a CRIMINAL

Sorry for your loss, mate.

*footygafhugz

thanks bb <3 and in a rare moment of human compassion, my Android/Replicant manager actually gave me the rest of the day off :lol

jts

...hate me...

A crime

Bla, you're a CRIMINAL

thanks bb <3 and in a rare moment of human compassion, my Android/Replicant manager actually gave me the rest of the day off :lol

And SPLATT.

Condolences m8.

Blablurn

A crime

Bla, you're a CRIMINAL

Look closer.

And I think I have splatt.Isnt he the guy in the right window.

jts

...hate me...
Look closer.

And I think I have splatt.Isnt he the guy in the right window.

Splatt is just the top of a bald head. Maybe I'm not looking right, but I don't think so.

edit- fuck me, I didn't notice his avatar change ;DDDDDDDd soz

Rumor has it we're set to sign Martin Ødegaard in a few weeks, once he turns 16. He's supposed to be full of talent, lets see what Zidane can do with him.

Also that awkward moment when you realize that Jese has as many goals to his name this season as Luis Suarez.

Everything I have heard about Odegaard is that he wants first team football so he can get the best footballing education. He and his dad are visiting multiple clubs to get a better understanding of what his next club can offer him. He's supposedly really hard working. I personally think he ends up at Ajax and then moves to a bigger league. What's the point of going to Madrid? He can go to Barca B who are also in the 2nd division and have a better record at bringing through players.

If he cares about his development, which from everything I heard is his priority, he will not go to a big league yet unless they guarantee him playing time.

Jack cw

Marco Reus obviously rejected the offer from Dortmund of 8 million a year and another payment for buying off his buyout clause, but he and his agency insist on the clause and they stopped all the negotiations. He is leaving this summer. Watzke also said, that Reus is in the position to chose where he wants to go next, if he pulls the clause, BVB can't do more than this offer.

Pennywise

Dortmund's short lived semi-reign has come to an end, Penny. It's over, it's all over. Reus leaves next summer, Klopp will follow. Only Immobile will remain.

Immobile is still under protection.

Even if Reus leaves which is still isn't clear at this point, even though some Bild readers are trying to make it, it's far from being over.

Zorc would be under pressure after he fucked up with Mkhitaryan and some other choices, but certainly the current situation won't repeat.

Fintan

Immobile is still under protection.

Even if Reus leaves which is still isn't clear at this point, even though some Bild readers are trying to make it, it's far from being over.

Zorc would be under pressure after he fucked up with Mkhitaryan and some other choices, but certainly the current situation won't repeat.
Before the season started, what were your expectations? From the outside I'd say most people were expecting a minor title challenge with Bayern ultimately winning pretty comfortably. Did Dortmund fans just want CL Qualification?

Jack cw

They have better sources than most other German outlets regardless of their image. You know the saying where is smoke, there is fire and Rummenigges expression lately, coupled with Reus not willing to make a stement pro Dortmund says it all.

Bayern rubbing salt in the wound:

Lahm: "I can't give Dortmund advice on the relegation battle because thankfully I've never been in that situation"

i7dpiKYLNAyne.png

Jack cw

Bayern rubbing salt in the wound:

Lahm: "I can't give Dortmund advice on the relegation battle because thankfully I've never been in that situation"

i7dpiKYLNAyne.png

It's amazing because that is exactly what Thomas Müller said to SKY yesterday :D

EDIT: Apparently another nuclear accident in a plant in Ukraine... fu...

Pennywise

Before the season started, what were your expectations? From the outside I'd say most people were expecting a minor title challenge with Bayern ultimately winning pretty comfortably. Did Dortmund fans just want CL Qualification?

CL Qualification was always the target.
You know Bayern is in a league of their own.The only chance I saw was a smooth run from Dortmund and obivously alot of exhausted WC players.

I knew it would be hard for some players, because alot of them where coming back from a longer injury or constant smaller injuries.

Usually they get in shape pretty fast, if the rest of the team is working...which obviously didn't happen.

And we also had quite a few players who came back from the WC, especially those that where new...which weren't part of the preseason...

It's just a complicated situation, but no one expected this situation.

They have better sources than most other German outlets regardless of their image. You know the saying where is smoke, there is fire and Rummenigges expression lately, coupled with Reus not willing to make a stement pro Dortmund says it all.

I won't argue with that, but this is a different topic.
The better sources with Kicker,Ruhrnachrichten said it a couple of times, Reus doesn't want to speak about it and that there isn't a clear decision yet, towards any direction.
If he made a decision already, he would have told it to Watzke/Zorc to prepare the look for a replacement.

Zabojnik

"Unconfirmed reports of an &#8216;accident&#8217; at Zaporizhia Nuclear Power Station in Ukraine - the largest nuclear power plant in Europe."

See you in the wastelands, m8ers. Good thing I recently finished Wasteland 2 in preparation. My shoddy radiation suit made with cat litter is ready.

sohois

Honigstein seems convinced he is going to Barcelona or Madrid, and I'd be inclined to believe him.

I think Barca would be the more likely option; not quite so overloaded with attackers and without a history of going crazy with transfers like Madrid.

That being said, he'll probably be another high profile transfer flop for Barca anyway. I'm not basing this prediction on anything though

I think Barca would be the more likely option; not quite so overloaded with attackers and without a history of going crazy with transfers like Madrid.

That being said, he'll probably be another high profile transfer flop for Barca anyway. I'm not basing this prediction on anything though

Well depends if we're talking summer 2015 cus Barca are still transfer embargo'ed at that point.

RiggyRob

There will be a sign up for a lottery to even get a chance of buying one.

Not sure where to go sign up for that, just saw it mentioned in the gaming side thread.

OddMorsel-chan, save us.

I think the grey is ugly tbh, black and white both look better, but the coloured logo, the controller symbols all over it and PS1 boot-up sound is nostalgia-tastic.

The Reus situation isn't as easy as people (mainly Bayern fans and bild) make it sound. Unlike Götze or Lewandowski, Reus really loves the club. He might not be as open about it as Großkreutz for example but it's the club he dreamt of playing for while growing up. The problem is that his affection with BVB aside, there are better options for his career considering we can't offer him as much money as the top clubs and most likely won't play CL next season.

The conflict is obviously between his professional career and his personal feelings, if that was easy, he would have decided long ago.

Jack cw

The Reus situation isn't as easy as people (mainly Bayern fans and bild) make it sound. Unlike Götze or Lewandowski, Reus really loves the club. He might not be as open about it as Großkreutz for example but it's the club he dreamt of playing for while growing up. The problem is that his affection with BVB aside, there are better options for his career considering we can't offer him as much money as the top clubs and most likely won't play CL next season.

The conflict is obviously between his professional career and his personal feelings, if that was easy, he would have decided long ago.

Echte Liebe, innit?
And yeah, what you wrote makes this whole situation pretty easy. He has to decide what is best for him. Become a legend in Dortmund or become a world class player who wins trophies and cups. Something every professional top star is thinking about.

jts

...hate me...
"It has come to our attention that Brøndby are celebrating their birthday today so we sent them a little present in form of a photo

xvhzwkw.png

"Dear Brøndby IF, congratulations on the 50 years.
Thanks for the memories"

EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

That is the day their stadium became known as Hjalte Park, when he won Copenhagen the gold there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8Ut6h2HQQ
Brøndby is only 50 years old? When we Porto won our first Champions League we played them in quarter-finals. Schmeichel was their keeper :D This was the 80s. In that case they were a really young club back then.

Echte Liebe, innit?
And yeah, what you wrote makes this whole situation pretty easy. He has to decide what is best for him. Become a legend in Dortmund or become a world class player who wins trophies and cups. Something every professional top star is thinking about.

Just like Hummels, right?

And Reus missed out on the biggest trophy in football because of an injury. That either means he'll be crazy for other trophies and leave or just say fuck it and could stay.

Jack cw

Just like Hummels, right?

And Reus missed out on the biggest trophy in football because of an injury. That either means he'll be crazy for other trophies and leave or just say fuck it and could stay.

He missed every trophy in Dortmund since he signed.
A player of his quality and value, with all the money behind him and his agency are out for a perfect career. Hummels was ditched by Klinsmann, he would never come back, especially after our board fired his father, it's something personal. I doubt that Hummels wont start thinking if he gets an offer from Barca, Real, Chelsea or United in BVBs current situation. I admire Hummels loyalty because he saw something growing in Dortmund but neither has a top club ever made him an offer, nor was he thinking about second division.

Watzke just said, that it's up to Reus where he wants to play next season. He insists on the clause and they can't do anything if he pulls it. His management did the same with Götze and I don't have to be a "Bayern fan" to read the signs.

pappe

YESSSS!!!! I made it in Blas pic!!!!

I really really really hope Reus does not go to Bayern or to on of the 2 Spanish clubs.

Brøndby is only 50 years old? When we Porto won our first Champions League we played them in quarter-finals. Schmeichel was their keeper :D This was the 80s. In that case they were a really young club back then.

Well they were a merger team, like Copenhagen, which is only from 1992, although one of the merged club Kjøbenhavns Boldklub (1876), is the oldest European football club outside the British Isles.

He missed every trophy in Dortmund since he signed.
A player of his quality and value, with all the money behind him and his agency are out for a perfect career. Hummels was ditched by Klinsmann, he would never come back, especially after our board fired his father, it's something personal. I doubt that Hummels wont start thinking if he gets an offer from Barca, Real, Chelsea or United in BVBs current situation. I admire Hummels loyalty because he saw something growing in Dortmund but neither has a top club ever made him an offer, nor was he thinking about second division.

Watzke just said, that it's up to Reus where he wants to play next season. He insists on the clause and they can't do anything if he pulls it. His management did the same with Götze and I don't have to be a "Bayern fan" to read the signs.

Do you really think no club besides Bayern contacted Hummels? Come on mate

Blablurn

If Reus ends up in Madrid they will be even stronger. People love to complain about Bayern but Madrid will be the team that will dominate the CL in the next years. In my opinion Reus should either go to Barca (but they cannot buy him due to the ban right?) or Manchester United.

Top Bottom