• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Can anybody tell me anything about this Pochettino from Boca we signed? 18yo, he's apparently having a medical in Torino atm.
You know the drill

How could he possibly be? WE signed him

If he's young and his agent is not Mino then he's crap

Actually, if he's young and his name is not Pogba then he's crap

Crap player for a crap team

Scrubntus

Scum

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Arsenal are considering a £20m move for Bayer Leverkusen's Christoph Kramer, 23, if they fail to land fellow Germany midfielder Sami Khedira, 27, from Real Madrid. (Daily Star)
Roma are weighing up a January move for £7m-rated Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech, 32. (Daily Mail)
Paris St-Germain head coach Laurent Blanc has played down talk that the Ligue 1 giants will approach striker Thierry Henry, 37, who left New York Red Bulls this week, with an offer of a short-term deal. (London Evening Standard)
However, Turkish side Galatasaray are interested in signing the Frenchman. (Talksport)
Liverpool have offered Fiorentina goalkeeper Neto, 25, a £125,000-a-week contract to join them in January as Simon Mignolet's replacement. (Metro)
Forward Lukas Podolski, 29, is open to a move away from Arsenal, with a return to his boyhood team Cologne a possibility. (Daily Star)
Former Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye, 28, is considering quitting Paris St-Germain in the next transfer window just a year after joining the club, according to team-mate Javier Pastore. (Daily Mirror)
Arsenal are weighing up a move for Tottenham defender Vlad Chiriches, 24, in January. (Daily Express)
Inter Milan have joined Leicester City and Newcastle in the race to sign Villarreal striker Luciano Vietto, 20. (Talksport)
Tottenham midfielder Paulinho, 26, is a target for Brazilian clubs Sao Paulo and Corinthians. (Daily Mirror)
Buenos Aires club Boca Juniors want to sign Southampton striker Dani Osvaldo, 28, who has scored seven goals in 15 games while on loan at Inter Milan. (Daily Mail)
Everton boss Roberto Martinez has stressed he has had no contact from Arsenal regarding James McCarthy, 24, and that he looks forward to seeing the midfielder stay with the Toffees "for a long, long time". (London Evening Standard)
Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta, 25, has brushed off reports linking him to Barcelona and Real Madrid and pledged his future to the Blues. (Daily Express)
Former England striker Emile Heskey, 37, is training with Bolton in an effort to earn a deal at the Macron Stadium. (Bolton News)

OTHER GOSSIP
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he believes he can lead the Gunners to the Premier League title within the next three seasons. (Sun - subscription required)
Wenger also says Arsenal legend Thierry Henry should be granted a final international appearance for France in a friendly against Brazil. (Independent)
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says his side could blow the title if they get distracted trying to become the next "Invincibles". (Daily Star)
Mourinho also hinted that defender John Terry, 33, who is out of contract at the end of the season, could be offered a new deal. (Sun - subscription required)
Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany faces a race against time to be fit for the club's decisive Champions League clash with Roma. (Times - subscription required)
Everton will wait until the summer to offer forward Kevin Mirallas, 27, a new deal, says boss Roberto Martinez. (Liverpool Echo)
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says the FA Cup, which the club have not won since 2004, is one of his main priorities this season. (Manchester Evening News)
QPR could be hit with a multi-million-pound penalty for breaching financial fair play regulations. (Guardian)
Manchester City's former Platt Lane training complex has been taken over by Manchester Metropolitan University. (Manchester Evening News)

GLOBAL GOSSIP
Arsenal are ready to make a £33m transfer move in January for Palermo's 21-year-old Argentine forward Paulo Dybala. (Tuttosport - in Italian)
Argentina's 26-year-old forward Sergio Aguero says he will try and convince his fellow countrymen Lionel Messi, 27, to join him at Manchester City. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)
French forward Andre-Pierre Gignac, 28, has hinted he could leave Marseille this summer. (Le Figaro - in French)
German clubs Borussia Dortmund and Wolfsburg are interested in Marseille's 24-year-old Ghanaian midfielder Andre Ayew. (Bild - in German)
Napoli manager Rafa Benitez wants to sign Manolo Gabbiadini but Sampdoria are unlikely to let go of the 23-year-old Italian forward. (Tuttosport - in Italian)
Juventus could sign Sampdoria's 19-year-old Italian defender Alessio Romagnoli as they look to inject young talent into the side. (Tuttosport - in Italian)
German side Schalke want to retain Klaas-Jan Huntelaar until the end of his career and are looking at an annuity contract for the 31-year-old forward. (Bild - in German)
Bayern Munich forward Thomas Muller feels compatriot Manuel Neuer, 28, deserves to win the Golden Ball and that giving the award to Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo for a second consecutive year would be "boring". (Marca - in Spanish)

BEST OF SOCIAL MEDIA
Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker on Twitter: "Went to the same school, played for the same club, and the same country....different tailor though @EmileHeskeyUK."
West Ham defender Aaron Cresswell, whose side beat West Brom 2-1, tweeted : "Another big win from the boys! Ugly but good away win! Happy days."

AND FINALLY
The Argentine town of El Chanar has honoured the country's national football team by naming a number of streets after Lionel Messi, 27, Sergio Aguero, 26, and Angel Di Maria, 26. (Metro)

tri_willy

i4wJUMEzeDbtt.jpg

dat damning stat... brendan pls, you know what to do from now on :p

Scum

It says so right there, Fiorentina goalkeeper.

Give us Dybala. He'll be great for us alongside HurriKane. Insert a sell on clause in there and when he moves to R. Madrid we can share the spoils.

that news will come more shocking to brendan more than anyone. cdm gerrard is dead

He's been a great servant for Liverpool, but Brendan needs to sit down with him and let him know that DM/MC Gerrard is no good.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Italian paper Il Tempo have claimed on Wednesday that Tottenham have already made a January signing: 19-year-old PSG midfielder Adrien Rabiot.

Adrien Rabiot has been heavily linked with both Arsenal and Roma in recent months but signed a new deal at PSG in October.

However, Rabiot’s first team opportunities have been scarce at the Ligue 1 champions and the midfielder is eager for first team opportunities.

Il Tempo claim Franco Baldini targeted both Adrien Rabiot and DeAndre Yedlin whilst he was at Roma – two players who he will now bring in to Tottenham.

Roma were unable to offer better terms than Spurs for Rabiot and PSG are reportedly happy with the fee they will receive for the youngster.

Rabiot seems like a good player, him and Yedlin are the right kind of signings for us, young talents. Baldini's mistake was targeting Paulinho and Soldado, at 25+ they have spent too long outside of the PL to adapt properly.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
DDG is like adrian's nerdy younger brother who spent all his time learning to be a great goalie instead of becoming an all smiling, all fighting, incomprehensible decision making maniac.

I think I might still be in shock due to Young's performance last night. How has that happened?

nolan was our MOTM, carroll landed a perfect bicycle kick and gerrard scored from open play.

midweek madness.

EmiPrime

Seems to be impossible to buy a Wii U Pro Controller at UK retail. Both GAME and HMV had no idea what I was talking about. Even when I showed them a picture on their website, they couldn't find anything when they did a stock check.

Wish I had bought more than one when Amazon were selling them reduced. :(

Yen

Why did Cantona retire aged 30? I see that he's the fourth-billed actor in a film with Mads Mikkelsen, Eva Green and Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Everything I have heard about Odegaard is that he wants first team football so he can get the best footballing education. He and his dad are visiting multiple clubs to get a better understanding of what his next club can offer him. He's supposedly really hard working. I personally think he ends up at Ajax and then moves to a bigger league. What's the point of going to Madrid? He can go to Barca B who are also in the 2nd division and have a better record at bringing through players.

If he cares about his development, which from everything I heard is his priority, he will not go to a big league yet unless they guarantee him playing time.

I agree, although I would like it if Madrid locked him up and loaned him away to EPL or some other physical league. He's not afraid to run at defenders it seems, very confident kid.
If Reus ends up in Madrid they will be even stronger. People love to complain about Bayern but Madrid will be the team that will dominate the CL in the next years. In my opinion Reus should either go to Barca (but they cannot buy him due to the ban right?) or Manchester United.

With Jese back and him slowly getting back into his form (knock on wood), why would we even need Reus? Brah you know you're picking him up this summer, it is written. Bayern will be the death of BVB.

Jese, James, Isco....the future looks wonderful. Awesome to see Jese back and the team & fans supporting him so much. The mood in the dressing room and the collective togetherness of the squad is the best I can remember in a long time. We have Carlo's management style to thank for that.

Ancelotti's press conference​

Match: "We played a serious match, were focused and won well, showing our quality, exactly what we had asked for before the game. We never thought about the record and we haven't given it any thought since. We have another important game against Celta and we want to stay top of La Liga, which is our objective. We are happy that the run is still alive and we will work to keep it going as long as we can."

Jesé: "He was great. He needs to get used to playing but he's started well and showed a great attitude and scored. It went well for him. I don't think he was scared. He has to get used to the opposition. That is the problem with an injury like his. He is working away in Valdebebas without any problems. Jesé was out for nine months and we have to bring him back bit by bit. He'll get another run out against Ludogorets. We need a bit of time because it is not easy to come back from an injury like that. His recovery has been great and he has worked well. Now he is another addition to the squad."

Youth Academy: "We finished the game with six youth academy players on the pitch. That is great for the club. Zidane is doing great work. He is very charismatic and the players listen to him. He is doing great work and the youth academy players are improving under him, and we are going to benefit from that, just like we did tonight. We get players that are ready to go like Medrán and Llorente. Muñoz was also very assured. The work carried out by the youth academy is important."

Fowards: "We have five and with all the games we have to play there is space for all of them. Jesé can play in every position up front. He likes the left wing but he can play as a centre forward."

James: "It is not easy for any player to come to Real Madrid but he is demonstrating his quality and showing a great attitude during this period. We are delighted with him and he'll definitely improve. I really like his attitude because he is humble and that is important. Having a humble player with his quality is a perfect ingredient for the team."

Isco's red card: "We are confident that they will rescind the card. I'm sure they'll rescind it because it was an unfair sending off. Isco is in great form and doesn't have a problem with playing every three days." @Madrid_1902

Varane & Illarra: "Varane came off because of a slight muscular problem in his right leg and we thought it best to avoid any problems. He isn't injured. As for Illarra, he has no problems playing with Isco. He can also play in the middle with Kroos positioned a bit further to the right. He played a lot of games with Alonso and can do the same as him."

Blablurn

I agree, although I would like it if Madrid locked him up and loaned him away to EPL or some other physical league. He's not afraid to run at defenders it seems, very confident kid.

With Jese back and him slowly getting back into his form (knock on wood), why would we even need Reus? Brah you know you're picking him up this summer, it is written. Bayern will be the death of BVB.

will? we are already :O

Elchele

isn't Real Madrid Castilla like in last place in 3rd division, most likely going down to 4th next season?

Why would any youngster move to RM, pls. They will just sign the next Bale/CR7 instead of giving any of their players a chance

Jarnet87

This is going to be so fucking sweet, one of my favorite shows.

The Wire doesn't really interest me but I hope the HD Remaster gets good ratings so they go back and do this to other shows. Oz would benefit from this so much.

When Ashley Young is finally gone from United we will remember him for performance against Arsenal, and his defensive save against Stoke. Not exactly an illustrious spell at the club but better then some.

isn't Real Madrid Castilla like in last place in 3rd division, most likely going down to 4th next season?

Why would any youngster move to RM, pls. They will just sign the next Bale/CR7 instead of giving any of their players a chance

Mid-table. It's no secret they're struggling but with Zidane taking over there's some light at the end of the tunnel. Read Carlo's comments above about the youth system, yesterdays game featured 6 players on the pitch from the system.

Jan. 4 @Valencia
Jan. 7 | Atletico 1st Leg
Jan. 10 Espanyol
Jan. 14 | Atletico 2nd Leg
Jan. 18 @Getafe
Jan 21 | Barca 1st Leg
Jan. 25 @cordoba
Jan. 28 | Barca 2nd Leg
Feb. 1 Sociedad
Feb. 4 Sevilla
Feb. 8 @Atletico

Good god that is a tough month, hoping to see a lot more rotation this month in preparation. Good thing we already locked first place in CL, can field our youth players again next week.

I am sure Madrid will try for Reus.

Don't think they'll get him though, which is good otherwise Jese's career would be over before it even starts.

Fintan

You rather 4:3 than 16:9.. That's the new setup correct?

Give it a change bro, The Wire is a slow starter but once it gets going you won't stop.

Touché.
It's in 4:3 originally yeah. I only rather it's in 4:3 because that's what it was shot in, the format the shots were composed for etc. I've never seen it but when Star Trek TNG was released on Blu-Ray they kept the 4:3 ratio, AFAIK. I would definitely have preferred that.

Looking forward to getting The Sopranos on Blu-Ray too. Luckily that was one of the first 16:9 shows, so the whole thing is in that aspect ratio anyway.

It's in 4:3 originally yeah. I only rather it's in 4:3 because that's what it was shot in, the format the shots were composed for etc. I've never seen it but when Star Trek TNG was released on Blu-Ray they kept the 4:3 ratio, AFAIK. I would definitely have preferred that.

Looking forward to getting The Sopranos on Blu-Ray too. Luckily that was one of the first 16:9 shows, so the whole thing is in that aspect ratio anyway.
Hope they pull it off :)
I am sure Madrid will try for Reus.

Don't think they'll get him though, which is good otherwise Jese's career would be over before it even starts.
I just don't see this happening. Jese is already a HUGE fan favorite, think Isco level favorite.. He's not going anywhere nor is he being benched. He may not start all games but he'll definitely be the player we look to in replacing Ronaldo. In which time I'll have to replace my avatar too.

Hope they pull it off :)

I just don't see this happening. Jese is already a HUGE fan favorite, think Isco level favorite.. He's not going anywhere nor is he being benched. He may not start all games but he'll definitely be the player we look to in replacing Ronaldo. In which time I'll have to replace my avatar too.

Well you see the things is, Perez likes new players. And so do the fans. They'll get over it.

Life as a Real Madrid a player is cut-throat.

jesalr

Rabiot seems like a good player, him and Yedlin are the right kind of signings for us, young talents. Baldini's mistake was targeting Paulinho and Soldado, at 25+ they have spent too long outside of the PL to adapt properly.

I get the feeling this'll end the way Halilovic did. That or the way Lamela is going.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I get the feeling this'll end the way Halilovic did. That or the way Lamela is going.

Lamela will come good, he's a hard working guy. He just needs to adapt to English football, this is essentially his first season in the PL, he's only started ~15 games in this league.

Against Everton he pissed away 3 or 4 breakaways that even Lennon would have turned into clear chances, all because he was trying to do it the hard way. He doesn't need to beat 2 or 3 players, just move the ball forward quickly and do the basics right.

Hixx

"James Milner has scored five times against Sunderland, more than he has managed against any other Premier League opponent."

Such ignominy.

Top Bottom