• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Go_Ly_Dow

Currently reminiscing about Anderson.... I remember those power midfield runs with his dreads flying all over the place.

The moment he cut them it was like his power was sapped. :(

Such hope. :(

Yen

Martin Odegaard was training with the Liverpool first team yesterday (and maybe today). I would've said Ajax would be the ideal place to join, but would they play a 15 year old? I think no matter where he goes he's going to have to play youth football for a year, but is that better than the Norwegian league, and would his da be ok with this?
I did vote for Boris in the Mayoral elections. BoJoooooooo.

Would you have him for PM?
I find the idea of young Tories weird enough, but I know some Northern Irish young Tories. What's that all about?

Clegg

I find the idea of young Tories weird enough, but I know some Northern Irish young Tories. What's that all about?

The young Sinn Feiners at my Uni are defo an odd bunch.

They haven't a scooby about the politics of SF either. Good for when you want a shit fight about Gerry though. They always respond badly to that.

Nah of course not - the party wouldn't have him either I don't think.

Young "tories" - dunno, electorate's develop in strange ways beyond the always Labour/always Cons segments. You get a lot (read - more than you'd expect) of young Tories from BAME backgrounds especially, kind of rebelling against their communities who are staunchly leftist who apparently feel sorry for themselves. That's a group the Cons target quite aggressively and it's an easy enough narrative to sell. Maybe it's similar for the NI audience? I think the growth of the far right makes them a lot more acceptable to many too.

This is true but Liverpool could probably sell out 65k most weeks quite easily.

Isn't the plan to eventually bring our capacity to 62k or so through expanding one of the other stands? Plus, while they obviously can't say it, I imagine FSG are desperate for safe standing to become a thing. Sounds like it'd be an easy way to add 8,000+ capacity to the Kop, without even needing to spend much to do it.

I may be wrong there though, not sure how the safe standing adaptation would work. Would they just remove the seats and implement barriers running across the rows so there's 2 people per ex-seat, or would they have to adjust the entire structure of the face of the stand?

We're kinda fucked with that either way, the club would massively piss off the various Hillsborough if they did it, which would be a PR nightmare. There is a large number of match-going fans who would welcome it back, but it is understandably difficult to be vocal in that when opposition to it is so steadfast.

3Sixty

Martin Odegaard was training with the Liverpool first team yesterday (and maybe today). I would've said Ajax would be the ideal place to join, but would they play a 15 year old? I think no matter where he goes he's going to have to play youth football for a year, but is that better than the Norwegian league, and would his da be ok with this?

He's probably better than Lallana already m8

Think his parents are Liverpool fans.

Isn't the plan to eventually bring our capacity to 62k or so through expanding one of the other stands? Plus, while they obviously can't say it, I imagine FSG are desperate for safe standing to become a thing. Sounds like it'd be an easy way to add 8,000+ capacity to the Kop, without even needing to spend much to do it.

I may be wrong there though, not sure how the safe standing adaptation would work. Would they just remove the seats and implement barriers running across the rows so there's 2 people per ex-seat, or would they have to adjust the entire structure of the face of the stand?

We're kinda fucked with that either way, the club would massively piss off the various Hillsborough if they did it, which would be a PR nightmare. There is a large number of match-going fans who would welcome it back, but it is understandably difficult to be vocal in that when opposition to it is so steadfast.

Well the article I read said that the expansion to the mid 50's would be ready for 2016 and that there was currently no timeline for the further expansion beyond that. So at best you're looking at 2018 or something. That's a long time. Might not matter so much going forwards as gate receipts will be a thinner slice of the pie but I'm surprised after all this time it's taking so long. Arnie spelled out why yesterday, though.

For safe-standing I imagine you'd need to rip the seats out but also adjust the stepping up the stand. Don't think it equates to 2:1 though. Not in the Kop anyway, it's way too tight for that.

Yen

The young Sinn Feiners at my Uni are defo an odd bunch.

They haven't a scooby about the politics of SF either. Good for when you want a shit fight about Gerry though. They always respond badly to that.
Massive cult of personality around Gerry (I live with a young Shinner, he's standing beside me and keeps saying "the North of Ireland).
Nah of course not - the party wouldn't have him either I don't think.

Young "tories" - dunno, electorate's develop in strange ways beyond the always Labour/always Cons segments. You get a lot (read - more than you'd expect) of young Tories from BAME backgrounds especially, kind of rebelling against their communities who are staunchly leftist who apparently feel sorry for themselves. That's a group the Cons target quite aggressively and it's an easy enough narrative to sell. Maybe it's similar for the NI audience? I think the growth of the far right makes them a lot more acceptable to many too.
The NI Tories I know are essentially libertarians (and oddly patronising). I can see the appeal of not supporting NI's parties but the Tories...eesh.

index.php

(Middle image is when standing isn't allowed, and they have to put in bucket seats, this is from thon architect on rawk)
Isn't Odegaard the kid Bayern fans said was signing for Bayern, and Madrid fans said was signing for Madrid?

He's been having trials everywhere.

/looks at table
/looks at liverpool's position

Yup, I agree.

We're on the up bruv. The battleship is being repaired even as we sail, the breaches have been sealed, the guns have been recalibrated. Next target, the HMS Sunderland, as we slowly make our way to Port Premier League Winners.

Southampton did a good job swatting aside the tugboats they've been up against, now that they're having to enter foreign waters guarded by real battleships, they're taking a pounding.

And Dany is a shit character.

Lovren is jetsam

Clegg

Dave Whelan apologises 'profusely to anyone who has taken offence' before admitting he 'used to call the Chinese "chingalings"'

Apologises for using racial slur then proceeds to use another racial slur right after.

Sensational

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Dave Whelan apologises 'profusely to anyone who has taken offence' before admitting he 'used to call the Chinese "chingalings"'

Apologises for using racial slur then proceeds to use another racial slur right after.

Sensational

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ic-comments-though-risks-further-censure.html

“Please take it I have a lot of Jewish friends.

“I bet there are a dozen who have got apartments in Majorca, where I am.

“And so many Jewish people go to Barbados at Christmas. That’s when I go. I see a lot of them in the Lone Star, in restaurants. I play golf with a few of them.

“I don’t want to mention any particular names because I don’t want to pull their names into it.

“It would be unfair of me because they are good friends. They may object to me putting them in a newspaper or in publicity or whatever.”

absolutely sensational.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
"And so many Jewish people go to Barbados at Christmas. That’s when I go."

this line in particular is making me laugh.

That’s when I go

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So Eriksen to PSG is the next saga brewing. Hopefully Levy doesn't yield, at 22 years of age there is simply no reason to sell.

So Street Fighter V is apparently PS4 and PC only and Capcom used "The Only Moment We Are Alone" from Explosions In The Sky as the track for the teaser trailer.
I'm actually more excited by EITS being used on such a big announcement.

Arnie

Not really in the market for another foetus to love.

We spend all of our time watching footballers get older without realising its simulatenously happening to us.

I had a student who would be about 8 in western age do a speech about RVP being the best player in the world, I just shook my head in disappointment at him as I heard his rehearsal. He knows I hate that cunt.

But he did impress me afterwards with asking me if I knew Juventus. Apparently they are his favourite team in Serie A, although Roma have a good midfield.

He has been wearing a Bayern hoody and bottom this week and told me that they are European champions, but I had to correct him. His favourite team is Chelsea, and he has a ton of Neymar pictures on his iPhone.

So it seems he supports Chelsea, United, Bayern, Juventus, and Barca. Plus Argentina.

He asked me if i liked the K League, but I just laughed at him. He then rattled off some good players.

I love chatting to this kid, always good banter when he brings up who Arsenal get beaten by.

Linius

Not really in the market for another foetus to love.

We spend all of our time watching footballers get older without realising its simulatenously happening to us.

I don't feel old. I'm not old. But when I learned Ajax fielded a team averaging 22 something years old I felt old all of a sudden. It's going so fast.

Top Bottom