• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

They're not a threat. At the moment City are probably the only club Chelsea wouldn't sell a good player to

Tottenham's vice captain is Emmanual Adebayor?

What. The. Fuck?

I refuse to believe there is a worse captain + vice-captain combo than Kaboul and Adebayor.

Two career half-arsed wasters. One of them shouldn't even be playing top flight football.

I dunno. If he has a strong, dynamic B2B CM by his side then I think Wilshere could flourish as a DLP. Agility and (positive) passing range have always been his best qualities, he's not energetic and "all-action" like Ramsey. Regardless of where he's going to play though, he needs discipline, and at 22, now's the time to instill it. He showed this week that he can be more restrained and make better decisions on the ball, so I think we should continue down that route for him.

The season is effectively a write-off (if Sturridge keeps picking up knocks then we should stumble to 4th even at our worst). I'd happily spend it getting Ramsey and Wilshere to function as a tactically astute pair than persevere with Arteta and Flamini.

We're done even if Sturridge plays every game between January and the end of the season. By the time he's back, the gap will be too wide. We'd need to go on a ridiculous winning run like we did last season, and that just isn't happening with this squad. You'd have to make a right balls-up to let us get close to you.

edit: ffs

RiggyRob

Woo, new thread - I think I'll subscribe to this one after the #bantergate shenanigans in the last one, even if Snitch has got his name back.

Made history with the university team last week, first ever cup win and against a team above us in our own division no less.
Watch us lose to some dodgy penalty against a shite team next game.

jtb

Banned
I like Wiilshere better as a deep lying player as opposed to a 10. he doesn't really have the athleticism to be a world class attacking midfield-type (and I think Ozil's passing strengths are better suited to the 10 than Jacky), but he does have the vision and ball control and technical ability to be great in a deeper role; he just really needs to work on his tactical discipline. and, unfortunately, you can never play Jacky/Ramsey/Ozil together because they're just so fucking flimsy and weak. but two of those + a quality DM would be a good midfield.

Plasma

Banned
Yup, mature, experienced, model professional and serial winner. Plus he's a lot better than their other keepers.

True but it still doesn't make much sense when a defender and a DM are much more of a priority and we only have 20m to spend in January.

I've never played a Persona game, but can't wait for P5

Persona 3 and 4 are two of the best games of their generation, if you have a Vita or a Playstation TV you should definitely get P4 Golden.

True but it still doesn't make much sense when a defender and a DM are much more of a priority and we only have 20m to spend in January.

How fucking annoying is it that we both need a class DM, Barca have 2 of the fuckers, and play one of them at fucking centreback?

KidJr

I like Wiilshere better as a deep lying player as opposed to a 10. he doesn't really have the athleticism to be a world class attacking midfield-type, but he does have the vision and ball control and technical ability to be great in a deeper role; he just really needs to work on his tactical discipline. and, unfortunately, you can never play Jacky/Ramsey/Ozil together because they're just so fucking flimsy and weak. but two of those + a quality DM would be a good midfield.

What, I mean I'm all for giving him a go as deep lying midfielder but he certainly doesn't lack the athleticism to be a good number 10. Wilshere plays a dangerous game but it's fantastic, he invites players to come close and constantly opens up his body and beats players with a quick turn of pace (although he does get it wrong sometimes) and open the midfield, this by far is his best attribute. I personally dont want him doing that in defensive midfield role (which he will inevitably do at some point) because he looses the ball there we're fucked.

Fuck knows where to put him though, cus he's not getting the Number 10 role either lol (not over Ozil anyway).

Persona 3 and 4 are two of the best games of their generation, if you have a Vita or a Playstation TV you should definitely get P4 Golden.

I watched the entire GiantBomb Endurance Run, and feel a bit bad about watching an entire game without giving any money to the devs.

Plasma

Banned
I watched the entire GiantBomb Endurance Run, and feel a bit bad about watching an entire game without giving any money to the devs.

Heh I did the same thing, I ended up picking up both games after watching it. Persona 3 is good because it's pretty much the gameplay mechanics but with a different story and characters, the only major difference is that you can't control all your party members in battle. They missed a bunch of social links out in the endurance run so it's worth playing through to do those and in the Golden version there's a lot of new content as well.

LTWheels

I think whether Rodgers is given any money in Jan will be a big indication of his job security.

From what I've seen of Manquillo he looks well suited to replace Johnson. I'd only want us to go for Clyne if Manquillo wasn't going to stay with us after his loan.

The only problem I have with Manquillo is that he doesn't take players on.

I think quite a big part of our attacking problem is that our fullbacks arnt providing attacking width. The both stop, and cross or pull the ball back.

Based on how we should play, we need our fullbacks to run in behind or take on players.

Wasn't Liverpool's net spend this summer "only" about £40m...if that?

There was a lot of talk during the back-end of last season that FSG would go big if Liverpool made the CL. Hasn't really happened yet. I mean yeah, £120m is still a big outlay and the wage bill must have increased quite significantly. But doesn't feel like they've really pushed the boat out.

What is the feeling amongst Liverpool fans about this?

There was a lot of talk during the back-end of last season that FSG would go big if Liverpool made the CL. Hasn't really happened yet. I mean yeah, £120m is still a big outlay and the wage bill must have increased quite significantly. But doesn't feel like they've really pushed the boat out.

Personally, even with the loss of Suarez, the amount of money we spent was sufficient to create a good enough squad. Maybe not to challenge for the title again, but to finish comfortably 4th or above, sure.

The blame is entirely on the people making those signings, the signings themselves, and the other players who aren't playing half as well as they did for us last year.

Personally, even with the loss of Suarez, the amount of money we spent was sufficient to create a good enough squad. Maybe not to challenge for the title again, but to finish comfortably 4th or above, sure.

The blame is entirely on the people making those signings, the signings themselves, and the other players who aren't playing half as well as they did for us last year.
That's true.

I suppose the question I really meant to ask is - if in January FSG turn around and say, no more money, or relatively little money, then what? Fair enough?

KidJr

£120million isnt considered a big outlay?

That's true.

I suppose the question I really meant to ask is - if in January FSG turn around and say, no more money, or relatively little money, then what? Fair enough?

Not for me

We very clearly need some replacements in January. If they don't trust Rodgers any more, they might as well sack him now.

If we're so far behind in January that we can't finish 4th no matter who we buy, I'll understand if they don't offer up any significant funds, since in our desperation, and with it being January, any club willing to sell to us will bend us over a barrel aside from Lille with Origi. What's the point after all in spending £30m on a merely decent DM in January, only to finish 6th anyway?

If that's the situation we're looking at, by all means write this season off and wait til summer. Our negotiating position if we finish 8th will be absolutely horrible though. Good luck convincing Higuain or someone in that case.

Would Mou allow him to move Arsenal? He's known to interfere innit

No reason to sell him either

I think if Cech said he wanted to go and the only real possibility was Arsenal, then Mou would let him. Doubt he likes selling to Arsenal, but he will respect Cech's wishes.

Woo, new thread - I think I'll subscribe to this one after the #bantergate shenanigans in the last one, even if Snitch has got his name back.

Made history with the university team last week, first ever cup win and against a team above us in our own division no less.
Watch us lose to some dodgy penalty against a shite team next game.

Hey don't remember seeing you much before, stick around!

Been hearing a lot about Bale moving to Man U. Wouldn't mind it for 110 million euros if get Reus by cheap.

I can only imagine Woodwards meeting with the scouts.

"We need more defensive cover, both in the midfield and in the actual defense"

"What about Bale?"
CNB1W6d.png

L1NETT

Played Never Alone on a bone m8 lent me (delayed on the PS4 for some reason).....sensational. Odd difficulty spike at the end, but a beautiful, soothing and fascinating experience

Really great exploring a culture I know next to nowt about

Can see why Eurogamer gave this thing a 10. Real example of what gaming can be

GOTY

confirmed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-20-never-alone (eurogamer review)

Played Never Alone on a bone m8 lent me (delayed on the PS4 for some reason).....sensational. Odd difficulty spike at the end, but a beautiful, soothing and fascinating experience

GOTY

confirmed

GOTY isn't even high praise this year. Hopefully it gets a little % off at Christmas sale or something, will play.

GOTY

confirmed

will pick up in a humble bundle

L1NETT

GOTY isn't even high praise this year. Hopefully it gets a little % off at Christmas sale or something, will play.

I'm predisposed to enjoying smaller, narrative driven games like this (brothers, Limbo etc) but do recommend (even if in a sale) you do have a gander at it

Prefer it for it's brevity too, not a fan of massive bloated games which pad for the sake of it. Simply haven't the time nor energy

But yeah christmas sale makes sense. Valiant Hearts is another you should play.

I'm predisposed to enjoying smaller, narrative driven games like this (brothers, Limbo etc) but do recommend (even if in a sale) you do have a gander at it

Prefer it for it's brevity too, not a fan of massive bloated games which pad for the sake of it. Simply haven't the time nor energy

But yeah christmas sale makes sense. Valiant Hearts is another you should play.

Well... Me too. I rarely ever finish +10 hours games.

Have got Valiant Hearts, accidentally redeemed it to a secondary uplay account I had for some reason. So now I got Valiant Hearts, Trials and Child of Light (which refuses to launch....) on a separate uplay account from Far Cry 3 and a few other games.
nt5j5sS.png

Hixx

I spent my morning trying to fix a colour ink cartridge (I couldn't) and printing about 6000 documents.

Why? I don't know.

I gained literally nothing from it.

Am I a sucker?

Probably.

Linius

ikL0iCH.png

ABN AMRO is back with Ajax (in visual form, they never really left) by sponsoring our youth. Together with the Ziggo deal we've already surpassed the Aegon deal in money. Van der Sar is doing great work.

Pennywise

Crap Taxidermy ‏@CrapTaxidermy 15h15 hours ago

"What are you staring at buddy? Like this is my dream job or something! I ought to comb-over there and kick your ass"

B21xhfiCMAAY5EE.jpg

GorillaJu

I honestly don't really know what kind of buys we could be making with the Suarez money outside of what we got.

We had a team that finished second in the PL. Based on that qualification, there would seem to be no pressing need to go out and spend another 50m pounds on big name players. I think Rodgers felt like the team needed some minor reinforcements but that Sturridge would be good enough to lead the line in Suarez's absence.

I feel like spending more than we did would have been reckless at the time, and a poor use of money. Obviously now things look a bit different and we're crying out for improvements in several positions.

Really wish Sanchez had come to Liverpool. Obviously that wouldn't stop Sturridge from being injured, but I just think we'd be so much better off overall.

Think we need a smart buy in January if we want to have any chance of resurrecting this season's CL spot challenge. Okay Reus is impossible, but as Walshy mentioned there is Lacazette, and there are players in the Bundesliga like Firmino and Volland. We need someone up top who can strike fear into the opposition center backs.

RiggyRob

Hey don't remember seeing you much before, stick around!

You want another Man Utd premface posting team formations? Sure.

I usually post when United are playing but a week between games is too fucking long, so I'll also keep you updated with my university team's antics:

Code:
Team	                                         P	 W	 D	 L	 GF	 GA	 GD	 MP	 BP	 Pts
BA Econ	                                         7	 6	 1	 0	 25	 6	 19	0	0	 19
UMCC	                                         7	 5	 1	 1	 19	 10	 9	0	0	 16
FC IBFE	                                         7 	 4	 2	 1	 23	 11	 12	0	0	 14
Medics Albion	                                 7	 4	 0	 3	 19	 15	 4	0	0	 12
Manchester Business School FC A             	 7	 3	 1	 3	 18	 13	 5	0	0	 10
Medics Wednesday	                         7	 3	 1	 3	 14	 10	 4	0	0	 10
[B]Sporting CS	                                 7	 3	 0	 4	 17	 19	 -2	0	0	 9[/B]
Richmond Park FC	                         7	 2	 1	 4	 10	 13	 -3	0	0	 7
FOLSS B	                                         7	 1	 1	 5	 12	 28	 -16	0	2	 6
Dalton Ellis FC	                                 7	 0	 0	 7	 6	 38	 -32	0	0	 0

Plucky underdogs, and we still haven't given up on getting promotion - we've lost a couple of games we shouldn't have including a shocking 5-4 defeat after leading 3-1 at half time, reminiscent of Leicester v Man Utd, except we actually managed to score again. Hopefully we can get a good cup run going.

I usually post when United are playing but a week between games is too fucking long, so I'll also keep you updated with my university team's antics:

Plucky underdogs, and we still haven't given up on getting promotion - we've lost a couple of games we shouldn't have including a shocking 5-4 defeat after leading 3-1 at half time, reminiscent of Leicester v Man Utd, except we actually managed to score again. Hopefully we can get a good cup run going.

Jeez, not many draws in that division :D

Wish I'd got into football early enough to play it properly

Hugo Borst, writer of great LVG biog 'O Louis' tells @tSHandJ #Strootman v keen to join #MUFC. 'Shook hands on it when LVG mentioned it'

Easy peasy. Hope we do it in Jan.

You play for Sporting CS? What year did you join UoM?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Going to The Hunger Games

And fuck knows why, because I've fucking hated part 1 & 2

Guess I'm curious to see how they're gonna handle Philip Seymour Hoffman's absence

Did they really CG his missing scenes? :lol we'll see

Top Bottom