• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT10| -Proud Of Our Heritage-

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

You can't really say Fabregas wasn't bought partly due to Ozil. Ozil hasn't even been playing centrally this season and Fabregas has played right next to Matic.

Everyone said because we have Jack, Ramsey, Ozil etc. who can all play in those position.

Ozil played wide to accommodate Ramsey and Jack.

2 players that Wenger would never sell.

That formation was also shit and I doubt we will see it again.

Wenger also said he didn't buy Cesc because he has Ozil, so yeah.

Lots of reasons mate, lots of reasons. Maybe he's pissed off how Cesc disrespected the club for 12-18mths before leaving. Given how Ramsey performed last season moving him on would have drawn hilarious amounts of criticism. Jack is Arsenal through and through and won't be forced out. Ozil is Wenger's money buy and moving him on would mean failure for Wenger and he won't have that.

There are numerous reasons why it wasn't done.
A lot of those reasons seem like Wenger being afraid of criticism and letting personal feelings get in the way of doing business. Cesc wanted to come back so it's a little bizarre to me that Wenger didn't forgive him since Cesc, Wenger, and the club would have obviously profited from the move. Ozil has been pushed to the wing this season anyway and even if Cesc didn't play centrally he can play a deeper role as he has all season for Chelsea.

Cesc and Mourinho have had mini-feuds in the media when Cesc played for Barcelona but both were able to put that aside in favour of the mutual gain of Cesc joining Chelsea. I don't see why Wenger couldn't have done the same.

wedward

A lot of those reasons seem like Wenger being afraid of criticism and letting personal feelings get in the way of doing business. Cesc wanted to come back so it's a little bizarre to me that Wenger didn't forgive him since Cesc, Wenger, and the club would have obviously profited from the move. Ozil has been pushed to the wing this season anyway and even if Cesc didn't play centrally he can play a deeper role as he has all season for Chelsea.

Cesc and Mourinho have had mini-feuds in the media when Cesc played for Barcelona but both were able to put that aside in favour of the mutual gain of Cesc joining Chelsea. I don't see why Wenger couldn't have done the same.

Because Cesc asked to leave. He left and we brought in new players. It's not fair to those players, especially young players in the beginning of their career, to then tell them sorry, Cesc is coming back, you lose your spot.

What is the point in buying youth players if you are just going to replace them with 27 years olds that make poor career decisions? Not every club is Chelsea.

Everyone said because we have Jack, Ramsey, Ozil etc. who can all play in those position.

Ozil played wide to accommodate Ramsey and Jack.

2 players that Wenger would never sell.

Well you and others mentioned Ozil as one of the players why Fabregas wasn't bought. It doesn't matter if they can all play in that same position because they all aren't. Prior to the season it was valid to mention Ozil, but Wenger has played him wide. The only players that kept Fabregas away from Arsenal are clearly Wilshere and Ramsey. Those are the guys playing centrally with Wenger in charge.

wedward

Well you and others mentioned Ozil as one of the players why Fabregas wasn't bought. It doesn't matter if they can all play in that same position because they all aren't. Prior to the season it was valid to mention Ozil, but Wenger has played him wide. The only players that kept Fabregas away from Arsenal are clearly Wilshere and Ramsey. Those are the guys playing centrally with Wenger in charge.

Ozil has played wide in 7 games. It's a little silly to assume that that is now his position for the next 3-4 years.

Fairly certain Ozil will be central again when he comes back next week. And also when Ramsey comes back. That formation didn't work.

Fabregas would have been a luxury buy. The difference between the want to be big clubs and the big clubs is that that Chelsea made that luxury buy while Arsenal didn't.

Also fuck Wenger for playing Ozil on the left.

Lightning

Banned

Wenger and Mourinho are not the same person. Everyone knows how much Wilshere and Ramsey mean to Wenger, he won't push them out for Cesc. Ozil is his is money buy, he won't do that either.

It's got nothing to do with personal feelings and everything to do with what the team needs. We are stacked with technical players, we don't need another one.

You will hardly see Wilshere play for the rest of this season. Next season who knows in regards to our playing staff.

Because Cesc asked to leave. He left and we brought in new players. It's not fair to those players, especially young players in the beginning of their career, to then tell them sorry, Cesc is coming back, you lose your spot.

What is the point in buying youth players if you are just going to replace them with 27 years olds that make poor career decisions? Not every club is Chelsea.
Going to Barcelona and winning trophies is hardly a bad career decision. :p

If you guys were Chelsea you'd be a lot more successful recently. :>

Ozil has played wide in 7 games. It's a little silly to assume that that is now his position for the next 3-4 years.

Fairly certain Ozil will be central again when he comes back next week. And also when Ramsey comes back. That formation didn't work.

That depends on how highly he values Wilshere and Ramsey. If he buys a dm, which all Arsenal fans think he should, he can't play both of them together without moving Ozil out wide. One of them will have to be benched. This season has clearly showed he wanted to include both of them and Ozil made way centrally for Ramsey.

Fabregas would have been a luxury buy. The difference between the want to be big clubs and the big clubs is that that Chelsea made that luxury buy while Arsenal didn't.

Also fuck Wenger for playing Ozil on the left.

I also think he would have been a luxury buy, but at this point I'm saying that Ozil wouldn't have kept Fabregas away from Arsenal.

It's clearly Wilshere and Ramsey.

Lightning

Banned
Going to Barcelona and winning trophies is hardly a bad career decision. :p

If you guys were Chelsea you'd be a lot more successful recently. :>
If we had the finance to write off 50m players like Torres then yeah I suppose we would be.

I also think he would have been a luxury buy, but at this point I'm saying that Ozil wouldn't have kept Fabregas away from Arsenal.

We all know Ozil will either be moved centrally or sold because he's going to kick up a stink otherwise. He was already moaning about the wing just before getting injured.

wedward

That depends on how highly he values Wilshere and Ramsey. If he buys a dm, which he should, he can't play both of them together without moving Ozil out wide. One of them will have to be benched. This season has clearly showed he wanted to include both of them and Ozil made way centrally for Ramsey.

Yes, and one of them most likely would have made way(Jack) like he did last year. Jack was in great form coming into the season and Ramsey obviously wasn't going to lose his spot after last season.

I don't think we will see Ozil, Ramsey and Jack all in the starting 11 for a while. That formation didn't work. Was pretty clear to anyone watching.

When Ozil and Ramsey come back in the next week or two we will see Ozil centrally and Ramsey deeper in midfield next to Flamini or Arteta. That was our best formation last season and still is.

If we didn't have Ozil we would more than likely have signed Fabregas because you can rotate 3 players for 2 positions. 4 for 2 is too many.

Also no chance Ozil plays wide if we have Sanchez, Theo Ox and Welbeck who can all play there.

Esch

Banned
Ozil better not be on the left when he comes back.

Hustling backwards. Putting your most expensive player, who isnt an all rounder out of position. I understand he believes in Wilshere, but come on.

also think he would have been a luxury buy, but at this point I'm saying that Ozil wouldn't have kept Fabregas away from Arsenal.

I agree 50%. I just don't know what Wenger was thinking tactically at the time. Maybe Ozil on the left was because he wanted a left sided player instead of Fabregas, but as the window drew on it became clear he couldn't get one. Although now we have Welbeck who can play there, but Ozil still played on the left because Giroud was injured.

If all are healthy I would say the squad will line up

Giroud
Welbeck Ozil Sanchez
Ramsey Arteta

wedward

I agree 50%. I just don't know what Wenger was thinking tactically at the time. Maybe Ozil on the left was because he wanted a left sided player instead of Fabregas, but as the window drew on it became clear he couldn't get one. Although now we have Welbeck who can play there, but Ozil still played on the left because Giroud was injured.

If all are healthy I would say the squad will line up

Giroud
Welbeck Ozil Sanchez
Ramsey Arteta

I think this is likely. If Theo is healthy maybe Theo right, Sanchez left and Welbeck or Giroud up top.

Wenger also mentioned that he played Ozil on the left to try and get him back in form quicker. He had just come back from his extended break after the WC.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Serie A

best player: Tevez
best one-kneed player: Vidal
IS only beautiful trophy: Llorente
worst footballer in the history of professional football: Evra
worst transfer in the history of professional football: Evra
best young player: Pogba
best free transfer: Pogba
best player taken from United: Pogba
worst player taken from United: Evra
best betrayer: Pogba
most improved player: Gabbiadini
manager of the season: Not-Allegri (Siniša Mihajlović)
manager of the useless trophies: Rafa
worst penalty taker: Chiellini
The Argentine Iniesta: Pereyra :/

Premface League

BEST PLAYER: Fabregas
BEST YOUNG PLAYER: Costa
BEST NEWCOMER: Sanchez
BEST CRIPPLE: Falcao
MOST IMPROVED PLAYER: Sigurdsson (it's Arry but I don't want to copy Wilbur's whole list ffs)
TLoU of the half-season: RVP
The Isla trophy of ghastliness: Isla
The Evra trophy of incompetence: Mertesacker
Manager of the half-season: Arsene Wenger

What is footygaf doing for NYE?
Working!

Esch

Banned
Giroud
Welbeck Ozil Sanchez
Ramsey Arteta
if we had a better DM than Arteta I'd maybe say we could switch Ozil and Ramsey in this formation. Maximize Ozils vision, let Ramsey attack easily like he likes too. Some defensive liability playing Ozil farther back, but i think it'd ultimately be worth it.

wedward

if we had a better DM than Arteta I'd maybe say we could switch Ozil and Ramsey in this formation. Maximize Ozils vision, let Ramsey attack easily like he likes too. Some defensive liability playing Ozil farther back, but i think it'd ultimately be worth it.

Too much running for Ozil.

Ramsey is better coming from deeper and making runs into the box. He played more advanced at the beginning of the season and was shit.

Ramsey is pure box to box. He is a marathon runner.

bud

how could it be worth it? he's one of the best attacking midfielders in the world. playing ozil in that position wouldn't make any sense at all. besides, have you ever even seen him make an interception or tackle.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
days ago

the FBI issued a public statement saying the agency “has enough information to conclude that the North Korean government is responsible for these actions.”

now

A cybersecurity firm conducting its own investigation of the Sony Pictures hack claims it has identified six individuals involved in the criminal attack, including one former studio employee based in America as well as participants from Canada, Thailand and Singapore.

Norse Corp, which offers live attack intelligence to corporate and government clients, says a probe independent of the FBI and Sony’s internal investigation has turned up an ex-staffer with “extensive knowledge of the company’s network and operations,” .

the FBI are an utter joke aren't they?

slider

'I would have liked to come back, but they didn't want me,' Song, who faces his old club for the first time as a West Ham player on Sunday, told L'Equipe. 'That's life. I'm not mad at them."

lol.

'Cesc also wanted to come back to Arsenal, who did not want activate their buy-back clause. It was surprising.'

:(

Song did the whole not celebrating the "goal" too. Cesc... No comment.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
you can't leave like a cunt and expect to be welcomed back with open arms. Didn't he force his transfer by not going to training or shit like that?

they both can fuck off

Carbonox

Danny Ings and Aleksandar Mitrovic are our number one targets in January it would seem (unless the rumours of not getting a budget next month are true). Step up from Riviere and cover for Cisse missing a fuck load of games.

you can't leave like a cunt and expect to be welcomed back with open arms. Didn't he force his transfer by not going to training or shit like that?

they both can fuck off

That is why I call Fabregas a cunt. He was always going to leave that summer, but Barca were telling him to go on strike so that Arsenal would accept the lower offer.

Fabregas showed a lack of class at the end and I can not forgive him for that.

slider

they both can fuck off

I'm sure arsegaf will remember it better, but yeah. He acted like a cunt and left Arsenal with no choice.

Fabregas was a whole different thing.

Edit: or maybe not.

Lightning

Banned
The biggest thing about Fabregas is that Arsenal don't need him. He would be upgrading something that doesn't need to be upgraded.

Upgrade Arteta and get rid of Flamini. Fuck Fabregas. We already have one of the best attacking midfielders in the world.

The biggest thing about Fabregas is that Arsenal don't need him. He would be upgrading something that doesn't need to be upgraded.

Upgrade Arteta and get rid of Flamini. Fuck Fabregas. We already have one of the best attacking midfielders in the world.

I would sell Ozil and have Fabregas back in an instant.

But he is a cunt, just like Flamini

dc89

Ozil needs upgrading.

Lightning

Banned
I would sell Ozil and have Fabregas back in an instant.

But he is a cunt, just like Flamini
I wouldn't. Ozil looked brilliant until his injury last season and Walcott long term injury and in the 2 games he played as no 10 this season he scored a goal and grabbed 2 assists if I recall.

The man is an excellent player. It would be an upgrade that doesn't solve or change anything.

Unlike Herrera he is a real prospect, just not there yet. Was good in Bundesliga, I'm just not sure whether he'll take the steps to become a great player.
I really hope he'll make it.

From his limited appearances this season, he seems ridiculously mature in the way he plays. Nothing about him makes it obvious that he's only 20. He plays in a really effortless way though, hope he doesn't train like that :p

Really nice to see Lallana and Markovic slowly becoming worth their places in the squad/team, and Moreno playing well last night too. Manquillo was alright as well.

Thankfully with Skrtel's suspension, Rodgers can't afford to drop Sakho for Leicester, the Swansea goal would have been his excuse after a decent performance. I'd question how Bony got so much space that Sakho had to make such a desperate attempt to clear, not sure if it's Skrtel or Sakho who should have been closer to him in the first place.

TeddyBoy is the only one to appreciate my foresight last night. Disappointing.

pulga

Banned
Isn't it hilarious how certain Arsenal fans cover their ears and shout to high heaven how they have gems like Rosicky, Wilshere and Cazorla and Wenger wouldn't be able to fit Fabregas in?

We have Isco, James, Jese, Modric, Bale all vying for similar positions and we're doing pretty good :lol Don't forget Kroos, Khedira and Illarra, as well.

Fabregas is a better player than any midfielder at Arsenal. Yes, even Ozil. He absolutely needed to be bought, you don't turn your back on quality if its right fucking there for the taking.

Small club mentality I guess. Stop acting as if it wasn't a stupid, shortsighted move by Wenger, christ. Fact is, great managers make it work. If Wenger isn't up for the job, sack him already.

Are these the Real Madrid awards?

Poor Agnelli, I know he was in Dubai for that convention

They must be, I can't wrap my head around a fucking president winning an award :lol

Lightning

Banned
Isn't it hilarious how certain Arsenal fans cover their ears and shout to high heaven how they have gems like Rosicky, Wilshere and Cazorla and Wenger wouldn't be able to fit Fabregas in?

We have Isco, James, Jese, Modric, Bale all vying for similar positions and we're doing pretty good :lol Don't forget Kroos, Khedira and Illarra, as well.

Fabregas is a better player than any midfielder at Arsenal. Yes, even Ozil. He absolutely needed to be bought, you don't turn your back on quality if its right fucking there for the taking.

Small club mentality I guess. Stop acting as if it wasn't a stupid, shortsighted move by Wenger, christ. Fact is, great managers make it work. If Wenger isn't up for the job, sack him already.

They must be, I can't wrap my head around a fucking president winning an award :lol
Real Madrid have infinite budget, we don't. Madrid buy players on hype just for the sake of it. Such a stupid comparison comparing arsenal with Real Madrid.

I wouldn't. Ozil looked brilliant until his injury last season and Walcott long term injury and in the 2 games he played as no 10 this season he scored a goal and grabbed 2 assists if I recall.

The man is an excellent player. It would be an upgrade that doesn't solve or change anything.

Fabregas is better in every aspect of the game and would be a big upgrade over Ozil.

I definitely agree with the small club mentality. Chelsea didn't need him, but they got him anyway. Real Madrid don't need half their players but they still add them lol.

Did Carlos win best manager? I love him being Italian, but he wasn't even the best manager in Madrid last season.

pulga

Banned
Real Madrid have infinite budget, we don't. Madrid buy players on hype just for the sake of it. Such a stupid comparison comparing arsenal with Real Madrid.

You people have been blabbering on about how money isn't a problem for Arsenal like one page ago.

Now it's a problem?

Keep moving them goalposts.

Plus, Cesc wouldn't have been a hype buy. He's a proven PL quantity.

Fabregas is better in every aspect of the game and would be a big upgrade over Ozil.

I definitely agree with the small club mentality. Chelsea didn't need him, but they got him anyway. Real Madrid don't need half their players but they still add them lol.

Did Carlos win best manager? I love him being Italian, but he wasn't even the best manager in Madrid last season.

Yup, he did.

and meh, for me he was. We beat Atletico over two cup competitions and only lost out in La Liga because our players were running on fumes by the tail end of it.

Yup, he did.

and meh, for me he was. We beat Atletico over two cup competitions and only lost out in La Liga because our players were running on fumes by the tail end of it.

Simeone did it on a much smaller budget with a smaller squad.

What Simeone did was more remarkable than what Ancelotti did.

Lightning

Banned
You people have been blabbering on about how money isn't a problem for Arsenal like one page ago.

Now it's a problem?

Keep moving them goalposts.

Plus, Cesc wouldn't have been a hype buy. He's a proven PL quantity.
Money isn't the problem with paying for Fabregas but can we buy Fabregas as well as the quality DM we need and centre back? I don't think we can do all that. Money for just Fabregas would be fine, money for everything I'm not so sure.

pulga

Banned
Money isn't the problem with paying for Fabregas but can we buy Fabregas as well as the quality DM we need and centre back? I don't think we can do all that. Money for just Fabregas would be fine, money for everything I'm not so sure.

Yeah and you didn't end up buying jack shit. No excuse.

It's time to wake up and demand serious reforms to how the club is run, GoonerGAF.

pulga

Banned
Pulg and Gooners stop fighting :( we're two days away from a new page in our lives

make love not banter

Seriously, I'm not even trolling. I just think if you want to win big things, you need to pull off big moves. Slam your dick on the table, if you will.

Mourinho pulled his fat anaconda out and now Chelsea are the clear favorites for the League, and are frankly a team I don't want to meet in the CL.

We've got Toni goddamn Kroos playing as a DM and he's doing a fantastic job at it
when everyone said he'd be shit.
Isco has somehow learned to defend. How Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere and Fabregas wouldn't have worked together in a proper rotation system and some TRAINING is beyond me. Forget deadweights like Cazorla, Podolski and fucking ROSICKY.

Hell, if I had suggested months ago a midfield three of James - Kroos - Isco would see us through the biggest win streak in Madrid history, I would have gotten laughed out of this thread. Carlo pulled it off, and if Wenger isn't up for the task, he should get the boot. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom