• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT11| This Is Our Year!

Scum

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Manchester City have made enquiries about signing striker Wilfried Bony, 26, from Swansea in January for £30m. (Telegraph)
City will face competition for Bony's signature from Chelsea, who are also interested in the Ivory Coast international. (Times - subscription required)
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has identified central midfield as the area he will look to strengthen when the January transfer window opens. (Guardian)
The Gunners are submitting a £25.5m bid for 22-year-old Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho. (Daily Star)
AC Milan have told clubs including Arsenal and Liverpool that striker Stephan El Shaarawy, 22, will cost £11.5m if they want to sign him in January. (Daily Express)
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers wants to sign Villarreal's 21-year-old Argentine striker Luciano Vietto, who has been dubbed the "new Sergio Aguero". (Daily Mirror)
Everton are weighing up a short-term move for Wigan goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi, 33, because of an injury to Tim Howard, 35, who has been ruled out for up to six weeks. (Daily Mail)
Promising Norway midfielder Martin Odegaard, 16, will snub Europe's top clubs and sign for Southampton. (Daily Star)
Serbian defender Matija Nastasic is on the brink of leaving Manchester City after Schalke confirmed they were in talks with the 21-year-old over an an initial loan deal. (Manchester Evening News)
Newcastle will snub a £9m bid which Arsenal are believed to be lining up for the club's French midfielder Moussa Sissoko, 25. (Independent)
Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester City have made enquiries for St Etienne defensive midfielder Rayan Souici, 17. (Daily Mail)

OTHER GOSSIP
Former Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood is on the brink of being appointed as the new West Brom head coach, following the sacking of Alan Irvine. (Independent)
Tony Pulis would be willing to work alongside a director of football at West Brom as long as guarantees of complete control of the club were included in his contract. (Guardian)
Pulis has also rejected the chance to replace Alan Pardew as manager at Newcastle because of fears that owner Mike Ashley would pick the team. (Daily Mail)
Ashley is considering giving caretaker boss John Carver the Magpies manager's job on a permanent basis. (Daily Mirror)
Neil Warnock says he is not bitter about his departure from Crystal Palace and thinks Pardew would be the ideal choice to succeed him as manager at Selhurst Park. (Talksport)
Pardew returned to Newcastle's training ground to say goodbye to players and staff before his appointment at Palace. (Newcastle Chronicle)
Pardew is anxious to get started at Palace and wants to take charge of the club's game against Aston Villa on New Year's Day. (Daily Mail)
Brighton chief executive Paul Barber says the club are hopeful of naming Sami Hyypia's successor as manager in the next few days. (Sky Sports)
Manchester City midfielder David Silva, 28, says playing the Premier League's bottom sides can be harder than facing title rivals . (Manchester Evening News)

BEST OF SOCIAL MEDIA
Southampton urged one of its supporters to pluck up the courage to ask out a girl he liked on its official Twitter feed. A Saints fan got in touch with the club to try to find out the name of a supporter sat near him. The club tweeted: "Man up and ask if she fancies a drink - no lady can resist a hot Bovril."

AND FINALLY...
Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea has compared his development from skinny youngster to impregnable stopper at United to that of comic book character Captain America's physical transformation. (Manchester Evening News)
Some Chelsea fans put their club allegiance first by refusing to give a Christmas kiss to a model wearing a Tottenham shirt during a social experiment. (Metro)

Some Chelsea fans put their club allegiance first by refusing to give a Christmas kiss to a model wearing a Tottenham shirt during a social experiment. (Metro)

Fucking hell, 'Quiche. It's just a shirt.

Scum

What do you reckon the chances of some decent prices on a Wii U are tomorrow m8LADS?

I was going to go up Argos and get the Basic today but waiting another day for a potential deal's not gonna hurt.

Plus Boomerang have sent Sonic Lost World which will be here on Friday, decent timing. Pls don't be shit
OVsk9Ou.png

Get a Pro controller if you haven't ordered one.

Bumhead

Banned
We go into 2015 10th in The Championship. 6 points off the play-offs.

Quite the achievement, and a major turn around from last season. Other than Blackpool (and in the subsequent months, Leeds) there probably isn't another club in the division who had a more disruptive pre-season than us, and we're once again operating on one of the lower budgets, by all accounts. Absolutely chuffed with our progress so far.

In other news, balls to New Years Eve. I hate it. Had a few offers but I'm willingly going to choose to stop in on my own with a bottle of rum. Anyone else got a similarly depressing plan?

BTW, I hope everyone has a great new years, but keep in mind that there are a bunch of people who will not be enjoying tonight so that we can all have football tomorrow. I will drink at midnight to the oppressed premier league footballer.

Rikkun

Top 5 games

1. OoT
2. Half-life 1 and 2 (can't choose)
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Melee
5. Warcraft 3

I challenge you to find a better top 5 than this

edit : no way Linius didn't play Oot. Typical Ajax fan.

Well you have 2 bore simulators up there, so yeah. (Banjo and HL)

Also none of you put a single SEGA game in the list, you should be ashamed.

CCS

Banned
Fucking hell, 'Quiche. It's just a shirt.

To be fair, you've gotta be careful of chicks in Spurs shirts. They end up wasting all your money on stuff that's worthless and no matter how many times they promise they'll be good they never do.

confuziz

Banned
Kramaric (Rijeka) is going on loan to Vitesse (from Chelsea ofcourse)

Well you have 2 bore simulators up there, so yeah. (Banjo and HL)

Also none of you put a single SEGA game in the list, you should be ashamed.

bore simulators

bore

im out

Yes please remove the game that was 5 years ahead of its time and was groundbreaking in every sense.

Its a great game, but the shooting isn't very satisfying, the pacing is all over the place, the enemies you fight for 80% of the game are pretty dull, the driving controls are horrible, and it makes you feel too much like Freeman is destined to save the world, rather than the feeling from HL1 of someone being forced to survive. That last point is obviously intentional, especially with all the G-Man stuff, but I didn't like it.

Most of my fond Half Life memories come from HL1 tbh, Black Mesa is possibly the best singular game setting of all time

Its a great game, but the shooting isn't very satisfying, the pacing is all over the place, the enemies you fight for 80% of the game are pretty dull, the driving controls are horrible, and it makes you feel too much like Freeman is destined to save the world, rather than the feeling from HL1 of someone being forced to survive.

Most of my fond Half Life memories come from HL1 tbh, Black Mesa is possibly the best singular game setting of all time

Pls answer my question on the last page you twat :p

Hixx

We go into 2015 10th in The Championship. 6 points off the play-offs.

Quite the achievement, and a major turn around from last season. Other than Blackpool (and in the subsequent months, Leeds) there probably isn't another club in the division who had a more disruptive pre-season than us, and we're once again operating on one of the lower budgets, by all accounts. Absolutely chuffed with our progress so far.

In other news, balls to New Years Eve. I hate it. Had a few offers but I'm willingly going to choose to stop in on my own with a bottle of rum. Anyone else got a similarly depressing plan?

Haven't done anything on NYE for years. Made my mind up when I was still a teen that it's not for me. One night got chased through a Dene, one time saw someone glassed... also it's expensive as fuck.

confuziz

Banned
You can buy the 3DS remake for me <3

I remember the day Oot came out like it was yesterday. It was a cold day in december..1998. My neigbour back then, who was probably 40 years old at that time, was there too. Everyone had pre-ordered the game, at least 200 people were waiting at the store.

No games though, it hadn't arrived. We had to wait 2 hours for the truck to arrive with all the boxes in it. People were cheering when they opened the boxes. I bought the game and my mom drove us back to our home.

It was an amazing day. The best game ever. It was a golden cartridge too.

I'm not even sure how long I played that evening/night...

Linius

I remember the day Oot came out like it was yesterday. It was a cold day in december..1998. My neigbour back then, who was probably 40 years old at that time, was there too. Everyone had pre-ordered the game, at least 200 people were waiting at the store.

No games though, it hadn't arrived. We had to wait 2 hours for the truck to arrive with all the boxes in it. People were cheering when they opened the boxes. I bought the game and my mom drove us back to our home.

It was an amazing day. The best game ever. It was a golden cartridge too.

I'm not even sure how long I played that evening/night...

What a touching story. I remember winning the title and the cup the year. Litmanen scored a hattick in the cup finale, Eindhoven was in tears. And then a few months later you got to play OoT, looking back at it I'm really happy for you man <3

Arnie

Loving that Billy Big Bollocks can't distinguish between a provoked flap of the hand under the linesman's nose, off the pitch, and a full on elbow to the face during active play. Usage of "scum" is a bit curious, too. Especially when the man he idolises is an unrepentant eye gouger. Go back to your chalkboard of refereeing decisions and work on your conspiracy jigsaw.

I'm doing a pub crawl for new year. Really can't be arsed. Be overpriced and fucking rammed.

CCS

Banned
What's everyone's earliest football memory? I remember seeing Emile Heskey playing for Liverpool on match of the day when I was about 6 or 7.

Loving that Billy Big Bollocks can't distinguish between a provoked flap of the hand under the linesman's nose, off the pitch, and a full on elbow to the face during active play. Usage of "scum" is a bit curious, too. Especially when the man he idolises is an unrepentant eye gouger. Go back to your chalkboard of refereeing decisions and work on your conspiracy jigsaw.

I'm doing a pub crawl for new year. Really can't be arsed. Be overpriced and fucking rammed.

Remember when Benayoun scored that last minute goal against Fulham? Scenes.

Remember when we got that last minute penalty against Fulham? Scenes.

I want to go back. We can take Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson and Can with us

What's everyone's earliest football memory? I remember seeing Emile Heskey playing for Liverpool on match of the day when I was about 6 or 7.

Michael Owen running through that Argie defence in the 98 world cup

what a time to be (briefly) alive

L1NETT

with Hixx and Bumhead on New Years. Going out is a faff. Busy and double the price. Pointless

Usually go round a mates, have half a dozen of us and a few tins.

Linius

I wish I could say winning the CL in '95 but I was probably already in bed by the time we won. But 98 was a good year and I remember plenty of that. I was 6 (almost 7) around the time we won the double. And the worldcup was awesome with Bergkamps goal against Argentina. That was also the time when we went to play football everybody wanted to be Zidane or Ronaldo. And the keepers wanted to be Barthez.

Arnie

Eeriee.

My earliest memory was seeing Heskey score a fairly late winner and jumping round the front room with my Grandad.

No idea what match it was and I must've been 8ish. I remember seeing the jubilation in his face and thinking "yea, this is for me"

CCS

Banned

Not a bad match for a first one!

Eeriee.

My earliest memory was seeing Heskey score a fairly late winner and jumping round the front room with my Grandad.

No idea what match it was and I must've been 8ish. I remember seeing the jubilation in his face and thinking "yea, this is for me"

Clearly there's something about the legend that is Heskey that leaves a lasting impression.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I remember watching teletext hoping for updates and while the game was on, me and my brother would play 1v1 with a balloon in the living room, using 4 chairs as 2 goals, using the gap in between them.

Terrific Cardio that.

CCS

Banned
I remember watching teletext hoping for updates and while the game was on, me and my brother would play 1v1 with a balloon in the living room, using 4 chairs as 2 goals, using the gap in between them.

Terrific Cardio that.

Me and my brother did something similar, except we had a piano as one of the goalposts. The number of times that cheeky cunt shoved me into it.

confuziz

Banned
What a touching story. I remember winning the title and the cup the year. Litmanen scored a hattick in the cup finale, Eindhoven was in tears. And then a few months later you got to play OoT, looking back at it I'm really happy for you man <3

I actually didn't care about football at that time. I mean I was frickin 8 years old. I think that started around the age of 11-12.

Linius

I actually didn't care about football at that time. I mean I was frickin 8 years old. I think that started around the age of 11-12.

You weren't raised by a football loving father? Everything was Ajax in my youth. My dad was much more into the club during my early childhood.

Me and my brother used to play football with a tennis ball in the lounge, with the base of a sofa as one goal and the conservatory door as the other.

Knocked a glass of wine onto the carpet once. dat feeling when going through the internal conflict of whether to tell your Mum how it happened, whether to lie about how it happened, or whether to pretend you didn't even know it had happened

CCS

Banned
When me and my brother played outside, about once or twice a months we accidentally booted the ball through the greenhouse. For 3 or 4 years most of our pocket money went to paying for all the new panes of glass needed.

Top Bottom