• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT12| Old Man Looking For 17 year olds. Contact Arsene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

ibnrnTpYawnJPN.gif

I just watched that movie.

Minnie Driverrrrrrr mmmmmmmm

Scum

I remember before the world cup that I saw a stat that showed the minutes played by the squads. I think Brazil was first, Italy second, spain third, and england 4th. Germany was way down the list.

They looked the freshest team during the whole tournament.

I wonder how they got on then...?

ibzeqCJtvoUAS9.png

GQman2121

Banned
Telling, really is. Carlo needs to rotate more, especially at home against easy sides.

pIkiWGe.png

Telling? The only thing that's telling is that consistency works in football. It's why the international game is so uninteresting to me most of the time. The players just don't play together enough to perform.

Rotation is good because everyone needs a rest from time to time. But these are young professional athletes making millions of dollars a year. You don't deviate from what works and that list of clubs is proof of that.

I wonder how they got on then...?

ibzeqCJtvoUAS9.png

I am sure they would have still won it anyways, but I hope Italy goes back to an 18 team league and have an extended winter break.

Why does Shanks have a Robben avatar?

Did I miss something? o_0

It was Robben's birthday on Saturday and Bla posted his best goal, the volley from a corner against United. I tend posted how it was just another goal for Totti and showed a video of him doing it. Bla was sad so I thought I would show so Bayern live.

FootballFan

Hahaha Salazar.

Oh.

I might go home and replay MGS2 again. It is that good. I have never tried to platinum a game, but might try to plat this.

Might save MGS3 and 4 till the weekend.

But fuck MGS1,ㅠㅠㅠ after I completed the game I forgot to save it and missed out on my ammo bandana. Last save was just before entering the second pal card.

What a game. (all of them)

FootballFan

Telling? The only thing that's telling is that consistency works in football. It's why the international game is so uninteresting to me most of the time. The players just don't play together enough to perform.

Rotation is good because everyone needs a rest from time to time. But these are young professional athletes making millions of dollars a year. You don't deviate from what works and that list of clubs is proof of that.

Damn. Gqman telling it how it is.

There's a reason so many of us were upset that we used a different starting 11 for each of Enriques first 20 something matches.

Find a good one and keep it. Unless you are a team like arsenal where you don't really have a sure first 11.

Bold One

I might go home and replay MGS2 again. It is that good. I have never tried to platinum a game, but might try to plat this.

Might save MGS3 and 4 till the weekend.

But fuck MGS1,ㅠㅠㅠ after I completed the game I forgot to save it and missed out on my ammo bandana. Last save was just before entering the second pal card.

The MGS franchise is probably my favourite franchise in gaming, which is weird because I can't bring myself to be excited for MGSV

Elchele

Yep. Heynckes also sticked with the same XI with minimal rotation in the treble season. He only started rotating when we won the Bundesliga and then he gave a shot to the bench players

I don't think rotation is that good for winning. It sure helps to keep everyone happy and motivated, but a fixed XI will always be better in play quality.

Yep. Heynckes also sticked with the same XI with minimal rotation in the treble season. He only started rotating when we won the Bundesliga and then he gave a shot to the bench players

I don't think rotation is that good for winning. It sure helps to keep everyone happy and motivated, but a fixed XI will always be better in play quality.

Bundesliga also has a built-in six week layoff. :p

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

I'd say what's happening at Madrid right now is telling that you need rotation. There's just too much players and no matter how fit they are they'll get mentally tired eventually. Letting them rest for 1 or 2 games is essential to keeping the players motivated. It also lets the bench players when they do get on the starting XI to prove themselves.

Very good point.

I'd say what's happening at Madrid right now is telling that you need rotation. There's just too much players and no matter how fit they are they'll get mentally tired eventually. Letting them rest for 1 or 2 games is essential to keeping the players motivated. It also lets the bench players when they do get on the starting XI to prove themselves.
I completely agree, some of our players look exhausted, especially Kroos.

Scum

1-2 games rest? Cristiano will be pretty motivated then.

ibg1yxwimtZgdv.png

GQman2121

Banned

Fuck that. I don't want a player at my club that eventually gets mentally tired.

You want to get tired? Do it by playing. If you need to come off, that's fine, it's the clubs job to have a player on the bench to support you, but don't tell me your mentally exhausted. Whether it's out of the tunnel or off the bench, you show up expecting to play and compete. If you need a timeout because you can't handle the minutes, go find another club because that's bullshit loser talk.

7cT7L5l.gif

If anything, I want the same 11 players to start every game with a replacement on the bench ready to out work those 11 guys to try and force his way into the gameplan. Anything less and I consider that player not good enough.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck that. I don't want a player at my club that eventually gets mentally tired.

You want to get tired? Do it by playing. If you need to come off, that's fine, it's the clubs job to have a player on the bench to support you, but don't tell me your mentally exhausted. Whether it's out of the tunnel or off the bench, you show up expecting to play and compete. If you need a timeout because you can't handle the minutes, go find another club because that's bullshit loser talk.

7cT7L5l.gif

If anything, I want the same 11 players to start every game with a replacement on the bench ready to out work those 11 guys to try and force his way into the gameplan. Anything less and I consider that player not good enough.

They're only human beings, needing a rest every 10 matches or so is not a weird request, especially when those matches are 2 or 3 days apart. You can't expect people to perform 100% everytime if you overwork them.

wedward

7cT7L5l.gif

Lol.

What world are you living in?

tri_willy

wilbuggghhhh banned!? howwwwww

my home team adelaide united in the a-league has signed ex real madrid player miguel palanca. do you guys know much about this dude?

Elchele

Lol.

What world are you living in?

To be fair, a lot of coaches see it that way. They have a fixed XI and the bench players have to wait for an injury or bad form of the starting player to have a shot in replacing him.

Worked well for Heynckes, even considering how small our squad was in quality back then compared to now.

wedward

To be fair, a lot of coaches see it that way. They have a fixed XI and the bench players have to wait for an injury or bad form of the starting player to have a shot in replacing him.

Worked well for Heynckes, even considering how small our squad was in quality back then compared to now.

Players cant be expected to be at 100% every match.

wedward

I mean, he does have a point. Being "mentally tired" is a weird excuse.

Mentally tired is a poor way of putting it.

Do you have a job? Do you ever find it difficult to work long hours week after week and remain focused?

They make lots of money but that doesnt make them not human.

The bigger issue is you cant expect people to be physically 100% if you are playing every game.

GQ's rant sounds like it is coming from someone who has never been in a situation remotely similar.

GorillaJu

Gyms in Japan are 100 USD per month. Minimum. Unless you wanna do one of their "afternoon only" plans where you can't come in on nights or weekdays, then you can get the stellar price of only 80 USD.

I mean they're super clean, the staff are nice, they have great locker rooms that include hot springs and saunas, but they're famously under-sized and the pricing is absurd

GQman2121

Banned
Allow me to step back because I'm all for players getting a spell here and there. I think that image is just stupid. That's all. Here are the clubs that consistently play the same players for long stretches of time. They're also the clubs setting the pace in their respective countries. So....? Again, the chart and image are stupid.

If you're at full fitness--as we have been fortunate enough to be this year thus far--you have your starting eleven and then you have players that can fill in for spot duty from time to time or for cup matches against teams you're expecting to run over. You still maintain your starters in the positions that win you games, but you have the players out there that have proven to win games. But that doesn't mean swapping nearly an entire side like we sent out on Saturday. That's costly and I think we learned a huge lesson about what we have to work with for the rest of the season.

I fully expect the usual suspects to lineup tomorrow night. No surprises. No guessing. It'll be...

Courtouis, Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta, Matic, Cesc, Willian, Oscar, Hazard, Costa

GorillaJu

How many USD does a new ps4 game retail for over there morsel?

For example, Dragon Ball Xenoverse?

It varies—pubs don't just agree on one set price. RPGs tend to be expensive, fighting games cheaper. Final Fantasy XIII was over 100 bucks when it came out.

DBX is 7,700 yen (77 USD on a normal exchange rate, but about 70 on the current rate)

wedward

Allow me to step back because I'm all for players getting a spell here and there. I think that image is just stupid. That's all. Here are the clubs that consistently play the same players for long stretches of time. They're also the clubs setting the pace in their respective countries. So....? Again, the chart and image are stupid.

If you're at full fitness--as we have been fortunate enough to be this year thus far--you have your starting eleven and then you have players that can fill in for spot duty from time to time or for cup matches against teams you're expecting to run over. You still maintain your starters in the positions that win you games, but you have the players out there that have proven to win games. But that doesn't mean swapping nearly an entire side like we sent out on Saturday. That's costly and I think we learned a huge lesson about what we have to work with for the rest of the season.

I fully expect the usual suspects to lineup tomorrow night. No surprises. No guessing. It'll be...

Courtouis, Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta, Matic, Cesc, Willian, Oscar, Hazard, Costa

Biggest thing you should take away from that image is that those teams keep their players healthy.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Rafa is sensationally absolute once again

Gonzalo Higuain’s opener was offside and the penalty was extremely dubious, but Benitez rejected all attempts to go back over his famous criticism of incidents going in favour of Juventus: ‘It can happen.’

“I said many times that I won’t talk about referees. If we analyse every incident, I think it’s not so easy for Genoa to complain,” he told Sky Sport Italia after a 2-1 result.

“We’ve seen that we can win by scoring two goals with 10 chances. I will say nothing on referees. I like to discuss football.

FootballFan

It varies—pubs don't just agree on one set price. RPGs tend to be expensive, fighting games cheaper. Final Fantasy XIII was over 100 bucks when it came out.

DBX is 7,700 yen (77 USD on a normal exchange rate, but about 70 on the current rate)

That is pretty expensive.

If you go retail here you're usually looking at 100 to 120 nz dollars. Which is around 75 to 90 USD I think

wedward

Some managers rotated with fully fit squads, and very successfully. Ferguson, for example.

That's because he was able to get the best out of every player in his squad.

Most can't.

I try not to use Ferguson as an example. He is so far ahead of everyone else. Miracle worker.

GorillaJu

That is pretty expensive.

If you go retail here you're usually looking at 100 to 120 nz dollars. Which is around 75 to 90 USD I think

Sounds right about the same then... Which is way too much. I never but games at retail here and just buy exclusively from the U.S. PSN store—I don't have a single PS4 disc.

FootballFan

Sounds right about the same then... Which is way too much. I never but games at retail here and just buy exclusively from the U.S. PSN store—I don't have a single PS4 disc.

I don't buy local retail either lol.

I buy my games from online retailer in Sheffield uk. Cheaper than buying local by about $30-40 lol.

I support rotation. Players need to keep up match fitness and be ready for when they are called in. It also keeps players on their toes because they know their is competition for places. Ozil, sanchez, cazorla and Theo are fighting for three starting places. If we are always gonna pick our best three then Cazorla most likely won't start. That would ruin about three good months of performances if he would get dropped to the bench and only made appearances as a sub, or if Ozil got injured.

Ideally you will pick your best 11 most weeks and mix it up every now and again with two changes.

Currently, those teams on the list are topping their leagues, but come May it could be a different story. Especially as the most tired teams at the world cup were the ones who had played the most minutes.

pulga

Banned
I've always thought it was pretty weird how the gooners here are constantly moaning about resting players, they've been brainwashed by Arsene's surefire 4th place trophy winning mentality
dnaO1RN.png

I started buying more online when I realise

a) I don't have limited bandwith with my ISP
b) There's no trade-ins in any game shops I know here
c) What the hell do I do with all these boxes and discs after playing.

There are some that I buy when there's agreements with friends that we will swap the games we buy, but most of the time, made more sense to go online.

wedward

I've always thought it was pretty weird how the gooners here are constantly moaning about resting players, they've been brainwashed by Arsene's surefire 4th place trophy winning mentality
dnaO1RN.png

It's because the number of injuries we get you mango.

Especially soft muscle injuries which are usually related to fatigue.

FootballFan

I started buying more online when I realise

a) I don't have limited bandwith with my ISP
b) There's no trade-ins in any game shops I know here
c) What the hell do I do with all these boxes and discs after playing.

There are some that I buy when there's agreements with friends that we will swap the games we buy, but most of the time, made more sense to go online.

I sold Knack and killzone for $50 each after like 2 months.

Incredible

GorillaJu

Holy shit Japan has a Left 4 Dead arcade game now. And of course one of the characters is a high schooler :lol

deAfyBx.jpg

Forgive the poor image composition the street was crowded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom