• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT12| Old Man Looking For 17 year olds. Contact Arsene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol

They always said Italy loves Rafa because he was a tactical genius. He was unlucky with Inter because they were a sinking ship after the treble, but they still underperformed. At Napoli he has done a shit job. There has been no improvement over what Mazzari did. He was hired to fight for the league and has done jack shit except complain.

I would love it if he made Napoli better. The more teams fighting for the title the better the league will be, and hopefully push Juve to new heights, like Roma did to them last year.

Its just begun tho

Before liftoff, groundwork.

Bold One

Holy shit Japan has a Left 4 Dead arcade game now. And of course one of the characters is a high schooler :lol

deAfyBx.jpg

Forgive the poor image composition the street was crowded

Perhaps you could provide some insight, Odd as to why Most of Japan's pop culture is stuck in High School? Is it a cultural fascination with adolescence ,or an arrested development thing?

Blablurn

I'm San Antonio Spurs fan, in some regards the the Bayren Munich of the NBA, Blaburn you should support spurs if you need a team to support.

You cant just support a player lol,

I think the Spurs are boring.

And LeBron was the guy who made me a fan of the NBA again. I followed it during the Jordan era. But I completely lost interest during the 00s. I guess because German TV stopped caring.

I loved the whole drama when LeBron took his talents to the south beath. And I'm a sucker for drama. This is how he won my heart.

GorillaJu

Perhaps you could provide some insight, Odd as to why Most of Japan's pop culture is stuck in High School? Is it a cultural fascination with adolescence ,or an arrested development thing?

Ugh, not even going engage in conversation with anyone who starts off like this.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I honest to god meant no offence, Perhaps I should have worded my question a little better, was just curious.

If you don't want to engage, that's fair.
I think having a young hero (teen) helps the younger audience relate to him/her more

A divorced mother of two or a wrongfully accused serial killer ain't gonna cut it

Bold One

I think having a young hero (teen) helps the younger audience relate to him/her more

A divorced mother of two or a wrongfully accused serial killer ain't gonna cut it

Oh I totally get that, its just that growing up in the 90s, most japanese games and animes the protagonists were in their mid to late 20s, and over time they got younger and younger from my observation anyway.

Linius

120 - @Feyenoord completed 120 crosses this season, at least 31 more than any other team this Eredivisie season. Connected.

Opta pls

They forget to mention Feyenoord also scored the least goals (by a great margin) of the top teams. If these crosses don't end up in the net I don't think they're very "connected"
p1kx90C.png

El Topo

Opta pls

They forget to mention Feyenoord also scored the least goals (by a great margin) of the top teams. If these crosses don't end up in the net I don't think they're very "connected"

You live in the past Linius. It's all about pass completion and ball possession nowadays. If you held more of the ball, you basically won anyway. Sorta. Not really.

Linius

You live in the past Linius. It's all about pass completion and ball possession nowadays. If you held more of the ball, you basically won anyway. Sorta. Not really.

PSV is leading the new school. Eight of their wins came from games in which they had less possession. As low as 36% even. We don't have to pretend PSV is playing pretty football but they're damn effective at it this season.

Feyenoord is playing the possession game this season. They even create quite a few chances but they don't have anyone up front to finish them.

GorillaJu

Apologies, I honest to god meant no offence, Perhaps I should have worded my question a little better, was just curious.

If you don't want to engage, that's fair.

A lot of my friends from back home ask this question but it's always stacked to begin with because they've come in with a mindset and most of their conclusions already decided so my apologies because if I sound jaded it's because I am. I don't see it as being 'stuck in high school' and certainly not 'arrested development,' partially because the huge majority of Japanese people aren't into the kind of pop culture that we've come to associate with Japan. It's just that Japanese pop culture outside of anime and idols and shit like that, is pretty boring, so there's a filter that means in the west you only see the crazy stuff that shocks your parents and starts 294 threads a day on Gaf.

I mean it's not like I really know the answer anyway. I could take guesses as to why high schoolers are often the symbol of Japan, like the fact that high school life is seen as the highlight of your lifespan for many people, so it's always going to be seen as this ideal that you only achieve for three years of your life and after that it's gone. High schoolers are seen as having their whole lives ahead of them, and children in Japan get a lot of "support." Older people definitely feel the changes and don't approve of things that younger people do like dying their hair brown or wearing flashy nail art, but since there's a large respect for the elderly, indeed tons of my students say they want to go into senior care as a profession, instead of resentment going both ways, there's a fair bit of admiration. Not that it's perfect, mind you, but when I compare it with how the young and the old are always battling with each other in my country, it sticks out a lot to me.

It probably also relates to the workforce, in that a lot of people work menial jobs for long hours where they limit their interaction only to a small group of coworkers around them who they don't necessarily like. The happiness index is really low in Japan, despite the quality of life being high because of this, I think. People have one or two hobbies that give them joy and of course they raise families, but when 11 hours of your day is spent in the office, you look back on your high school years and it just seems much brighter.

The single biggest reason why high schoolers are the main characters in anime, video games, edgy movies, etc. is because the audience for that stuff is all young. So I could go into a lot of hypotheses, but ultimately it comes down to the audience, I think.

Tobinishi

Opta pls

p1kx90C.png

Everybody is aware that they score the fewest goals of the top teams but OPTA is about offering fans more than just the basic stats that you get from the standings. They should've used a different word to connected maybe but i can't tell anything about Feyernoord's cross accuracy, so it might be true anyway.

Linius

It's a shame Burkina Faso are already out of the Africa Cup. Now Traore will be back on sunday so Vitesse can beat us again. Then it's all over
D5Jy4CR.png

Everybody is aware that they score the fewest goals of the top teams but OPTA is about offering fans more than just the basic stats that you get from the standings. They should've used a different word to connected maybe but i can't tell anything about Feyernoord's cross accuracy, so it might be true anyway.

As meaningless as the amount of crosses Moyes United produced. OPTA often comes with useless stats in case you haven't noticed.

How were the Moyes crossing stats meaningless?

It was his entire tactical setup represented with one stat.

@Wooden, you disrespected the Uncharted franchise. Gives me carte blanche innit.

Who?

But seriously, we're so stupid for fucking up against Vitesse all the time. They lose against almost everyone. Heerenveen teared them apart last sunday.

Sounds about right. Just hoping Traore does well and can get his damn work permit soon enough. From everything I've seen of him he can easily fill in Salahs spot in the squad.

Bold One

A lot of my friends from back home ask this question but it's always stacked to begin with because they've come in with a mindset and most of their conclusions already decided so my apologies because if I sound jaded it's because I am. I don't see it as being 'stuck in high school' and certainly not 'arrested development,' partially because the huge majority of Japanese people aren't into the kind of pop culture that we've come to associate with Japan. It's just that Japanese pop culture outside of anime and idols and shit like that, is pretty boring, so there's a filter that means in the west you only see the crazy stuff that shocks your parents and starts 294 threads a day on Gaf.

I mean it's not like I really know the answer anyway. I could take guesses as to why high schoolers are often the symbol of Japan, like the fact that high school life is seen as the highlight of your lifespan for many people, so it's always going to be seen as this ideal that you only achieve for three years of your life and after that it's gone. High schoolers are seen as having their whole lives ahead of them, and children in Japan get a lot of "support." Older people definitely feel the changes and don't approve of things that younger people do like dying their hair brown or wearing flashy nail art, but since there's a large respect for the elderly, indeed tons of my students say they want to go into senior care as a profession, instead of resentment going both ways, there's a fair bit of admiration. Not that it's perfect, mind you, but when I compare it with how the young and the old are always battling with each other in my country, it sticks out a lot to me.

It probably also relates to the workforce, in that a lot of people work menial jobs for long hours where they limit their interaction only to a small group of coworkers around them who they don't necessarily like. The happiness index is really low in Japan, despite the quality of life being high because of this, I think. People have one or two hobbies that give them joy and of course they raise families, but when 11 hours of your day is spent in the office, you look back on your high school years and it just seems much brighter.

The single biggest reason why high schoolers are the main characters in anime, video games, edgy movies, etc. is because the audience for that stuff is all young. So I could go into a lot of hypotheses, but ultimately it comes down to the audience, I think.

Thanks for the comprehensive response, I asked you because you might be able to give a first hand insight from your real time observations. I never would have guessed the filter to western audiences would be so focused.

KidJr

Hi guys, a new chelseafan here, who's excited for this weekend's clash.

Welcome!

Also I must say, next few games are going to be awesome. I have good money Chelsea are going to fuck liverpool with a broken glass dildo, I'm going 4-2, Chelsea will go for blood and I think under pressure liverpool wont stand a chance.

Also Man City Chelsea is such a good game, especially pending on tonights results (if Chelsea loose it becomes a bit of a must win for them also). I expect Chelsea to win Man City tie too if I be honest, City without Yaya just arnt the same.

CCS

Banned
Van Gaal is merely surrounded by people who have had the wool lifted from their eyes, stopped drinking the KoolAid, seen beyond the slapdash philosophy.

You have to learn to embrace it. Love the pain, the anger, the frustration. It will burn though you and when it is done, when the husk of what existed before is consumed by the philosophy, only the 3-5-2 will be left. And then Van Gaal shall drive all before him.

Hi guys, a new chelseafan here, who's excited for this weekend's clash.

Welcome!

I'm never excited for these matches. Just nervous. Also I'm not quite sure how I will watch it yet, as I will be in the Philippines. The internet is fine there, like in Malaysia right Qin?
Brch14R.png

I really should play P4, but its been out so long, I am hoping for a PS+ vita release
datholdupplayy9ibe3.png

oh and Chloe will never be better than Elaine

I found it pretty cheap. Only made it halfway through. I enjoy the game but I have a hard time finishing such long ass games.

Tobinishi

As meaningless as the amount of crosses Moyes United produced. OPTA often comes with useless stats in case you haven't noticed.

Yes, I'm fully aware that ;). They post useless stats from time to time but it's really just a fan service for stats you would've no access normally. Most people should see that it's more for fun and nothing else. It has nothing to do with who's playing better, etc.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Van Gaal is merely surrounded by people who have had the wool lifted from their eyes, stopped drinking the KoolAid, seen beyond the slapdash verging on nonexistant philosophy.
There really isn't any philosophy, just aimless cowardly passes with no purpose.

It only works when you have an Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom