• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 & Off-season |OT2| 5000-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

0249b52d9ade1a60923a8f58c0c908f1.gif

Surprised to see Kloppo signing such a long-term deal with his last long-term deal with us not working all that well. Glad he's enjoying his time at LFC, though.

Then I'll rephrase....

I'm surprised no one seemed to make the effort of trying to sign him before he signed his new contract.
Why would you think that no one made an effort? I'm not too familiar with Spanish transfer rumors but I imagine other clubs tried.

I mean, you could say the same thing about Reus signing a new contract last year. Similar situation with Reus having a cheap release clause and no one activating it. Truth is, there was plenty of interest but he decided to stay.

God... Sir Alex hanging on at Man U has to have been the worst thing he could have done for the club. Letting Pogba go for nothing only for the new regime to instantly buy him for 100m must be SAF's most embarrassing gaff especially after 3 'transitional' years of rubbish. I feel they'll be far better off without Ferguson & the Class of '92 alumni hanging around.

Absolutely. Mou is going to have a hard time getting rid of those in the club that are die hard Ferguson supporters. I think that was the real downfall of the last two coaches. What things were and what things are is his biggest battle, from the gobby muppets who played at United during the 90's and 00's, to the fans that liked things how they were, the people behind the scenes that feel like their control is slipping and the senior players that have been entrenched in Ferguson's thinking for decades. Mou might actually be the catalyst that gets rid of that. Either way it is going to be interesting for people to watch.

Why would you think that no one made an effort? I'm not too familiar with Spanish transfer rumors but I imagine other clubs tried.
I said it seems that no club made a proper effort to sign him, not necessarily that no club at all tried or was interested. Often times when a club makes a huge effort to sign a player it's extremely hard to keep it under wraps, there have not been any substantial rumours surrounding Griezmann.

I said it seems that no club made a proper effort to sign him, not necessarily that no club at all tried or was interested. Often times when a club makes a huge effort to sign a player it's extremely hard to keep it under wraps, there have not been any substantial rumours surrounding Griezmann.

Sorry, I really don't get your point. You also seem to slightly change your point with every answer which makes this whole thing kinda confusing.

Player agents and clubs are always talking about players. Clubs know when a player is in for a move and when a move is out of question. There's no point in "making a proper effort to sign him" or activating a release clause when a player is simply not interested in a move. And that can be made clear in a short amount of time without causing too much attention. Just give the agent a call and make him an offer, maybe give it another (improved) try. If there's still not just a bit of interest, what can a club actually do what you'd call a "proper effort" and would help the club with the signing? If you leak the story to the press that you're interested in player X, I don't think player X will be happy at all if he doesn't consider a move.

When you get a lot of stories in the media, a player is indeed willing to move or at least trying to get himself higher wages (like Rooney). The clubs, agents or players then "leak" information to the press to improve their bargaining situation. If there's no move, there's just no need for that. As I see it, Griezmann wanted to stay at Atletico, was happy with the new wages and other clubs saw no chance in signing him.

Sorry, I really don't get your point. You also seem to slightly change your point with every answer which makes this whole thing kinda confusing.

Player agents and clubs are always talking about players. Clubs know when a player is in for a move and when a move is out of question. There's no point in "making a proper effort to sign him" or activating a release clause when a player is simply not interested in a move. And that can be made clear in a short amount of time without causing too much attention. Just give the agent a call and make him an offer, maybe give it another (improved) try. If there's still not just a bit of interest, what can a club actually do what you'd call a "proper effort" and would help the club with the signing? If you leak the story to the press that you're interested in player X, I don't think player X will be happy at all if he doesn't consider a move.

When you get a lot of stories in the media, a player is indeed willing to move or at least trying to get himself higher wages (like Rooney). The clubs, agents or players then "leak" information to the press to improve their bargaining situation. If there's no move, there's just no need for that. As I see it, Griezmann wanted to stay at Atletico, was happy with the new wages and other clubs saw no chance in signing him.
My point was a very simply that I am surprised that no club took advantage of Griezmann's release clause before he signed a new deal with Atletico.

My understanding of the rules was always that attempting to persuade a player to make a move before being given permission by a club was a form of tapping up, obviously that is something that a lot of clubs simply ignore these days, but I believe in most situations that clubs will make an official offer and receive permission to discuss terms with a player first. Hence why clubs can often have an offer accepted but be turned down by a player due to the terms of the contract not being acceptable, or as you say are simply happy where they are.

I didn't think my original post would cause an argument, because it shouldn't have. I was merely stating that I am just surprised that no club took advantage of that clause that was in his previous contract, whether he could have been persuaded to make a move we obviously can't know.

Premier League going all out this summer, if Man Utd really gets Pogba, it only shows the (financial) domination England has.
This summer alone they get almost all the good managers and even 'small' premier league teams can bid for high profile players like Batshuayi.

It's a bit worrisome as a primera division fanboy, but England desires it imo, they understood how important the TV rights are abroad and at home. That said, Spain finally sells their TV rights collectively and even the smaller teams get a 42+ million a year. It's a start.

Makes you even wonder how important the Champions League and Europa League are for the premier league teams. The Europa League isn't even financial interesting for the teams in Belgium for example, why would a team from England care.

Sucks for Lazio. Good manager just out of his mind lol, read he quit Marseille after the opening match in his 2nd year there.

I never understood the hype around him. He's just crazy and not the fun kind. Why would you put your team in the hands of such a person.
I'm remember him quitting or almost quitting in Bilbao because the new training centre wasn't ready on time.

Floody

Makes you even wonder how important the Champions League and Europa League are for the premier league teams. The Europa League isn't even financial interesting for the teams in Belgium for example, why would a team from England care.

The Champions League is still important, as it's still good money, a very good way to get more international fans and just a massive trophy, our teams just lack the quality to actually go far in it more than anything, Man City will definitely take it seriously, Arsenal will too, until they meet Barca, Bayern or the Madrids.
As for Europa League, it can get you a Champions League spot so I can see the teams who can't guarantee a top 4 finish really going for it, like Liverpool did last season.

Could also just be a way to fend off any attempts from another team trying to take him (the Germany national team will probably be looking for a new manager sooner rather than or later, Löw has been there from what? 10 years almost) and his contract would most likely have been renewed next year anyways, so do it now and not have to worry about it.

The Champions League is still important, as it's still good money, a very good way to get more international fans and just a massive trophy, our teams just lack the quality to actually go far in it more than anything, Man City will definitely take it seriously, Arsenal will too, until they meet Barca, Bayern or the Madrids.
As for Europa League, it can get you a Champions League spot so I can see the teams who can't guarantee a top 4 finish really going for it, like Liverpool did last season.

True about the Champions League, but a Champions League spot isn't a big trophy for the Europa League where you play in empty stadiums for almost the whole tournament. Only when you get in the final matches, you see full stadiums. I would imagine that it's better to focus on the Premier League.

Still quite important. It is a minimum of €12mil. For a bit of perspective Real Madrids turnover for the 2014/15 season was €577million which was the highest for a football club and they got €52mil in prize money for getting knocked out in the semis that year which equates to 1/11th of their overall turnover.

Floody

True about the Champions League, but a Champions League spot isn't a big trophy for the Europa League where you play in empty stadiums for almost the whole tournament. Only when you get in the final matches, you see full stadiums. I would imagine that it's better to focus on the Premier League.

Most probably will just focus on the league, fielding weaker sides in the Europa until the knockouts, Liverpool didn't really take it serious until the United game, as a top 4 finish looked dead at that point, I think that'll be a similar mentality for any of the teams who get that far in it.
It cost Liverpool a lot trying to win it, and in hindsight, it was probably a mistake looking at how close 8th-4th ended up being, but it is probably the best bet to get a champions league spot for teams of that quality in the prem now, especially as I can see both Everton, and Chelsea not being completely shit next season, so that'd make about 10 teams capable of finishing in one of the 4 CL spots.

According to Guillem Balague, the paperwork for the Robin Li takeover of Wolves is with the FA. Should be ready to move early next week, barring more minor stuff like the fit and proper persons test.

MrKaepora

It seems like TSV 1860 Munchen bought Adel Taarabt from us.

DANKE!!!

https://translate.google.pt/translate?hl=pt-PT&sl=pt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zerozero.pt%2Fnews.php%3Fid%3D177651

"The transfer is not going to accomplish. It was important to know the player, but this kind of signings there are many factors that have to be right; and in this case there were two or three things that did not go well. So, for the good of the 1860s, we had to move away, "said Thomas Eichin, sports director of the Bavarian club, quoted in the German press.

FUCK!

https://translate.google.pt/translate?hl=pt-PT&sl=pt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zerozero.pt%2Fnews.php%3Fid%3D177639
Talisca goes to Liverpool for 25 million euros

The newspaper O Jogo reveals that the English Federation has received an application for a work permit to the player of Benfica, explaining that this is a young talent, with caps for Brazil youngsters.

At a time when Phillipe Coutinho could leave Anfield, Talisca may sign the reds. The player aligned in Bahia before joining Benfica.

YES!

bjaelke

Mane, Karius and Matip all starting. Balo didn't travel with the team.

Confirmed #LFC starting XI to face @tranmererovers: Karius, Flanagan, Lovren, Matip, Smith, Brannagan, Lucas, Kent, Ejaria, Mane, Firmino.

Looking forward to seeing who we play tonight, and to seeing Klopps massive fucking grin.

Friendlies against Tranmere > International football.

EDIT: There it is, hype.

Balo didn't travel with the team.

HYPE, get him gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom