• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 & Off-season |OT2| 5000-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elchele

at one point everyone should just stop talking about pizarro

345244.gif

Syder

I know that guy has probably finally left but to put it to bed...

This is my list of the current Top 10 out and out, traditional (Ronaldo, Messi, Müller, Griezmann, Neymar, etc. won't be present) centre forwards in the world (and the stats to hopefully back it up) based on their performances in the 2015/16 season and relative difficulty of their respective leagues: (Bold is the best, italics are the worst)

Honourable Mentions: Slimani, Benzema, Janssen, Dybala, Lukaku, Chicharito

10. Jonas - 35 gls in 46 apps, 16 asts, 107 mins per gl, 3,646 mins played - Portuguese Primeira Liga

9. Vardy - 24 gls in 38 apps, 8 asts, 134 mins per gl, 3,210 mins played - English PL

8. Kane - 28 gls in 50 apps, 2 asts, 144 mins per gl, 4,027 mins played - English PL

7. Agüero - 29 gls in 44 apps, 5 asts, 121 mins per gl, 3,523 mins played - English PL

6. Ibrahimović - 48 gls in 50 apps, 18 asts, 85 mins per gl, 4,057 mins played - French Ligue 1

5. Higuaín - 38 gls in 42 apps, 3 asts, 87 mins per gl, 3,287 mins played - Italian Serie A

4. Aduriz - 34 gls in 54 apps, 10 asts, 129 mins per gl, 4,397 mins played - Spanish Liga

3. Aubameyang - 39 gls in 48 apps, 12 asts, 98 mins per gl, 3,811 mins played - German Bundesliga

2. Lewandowski - 42 gls in 50 apps, 7 asts, 98 mins per gl, 4,116 mins played - German Bundesliga

1. Suárez - 59 gls in 52 apps, 26 asts, 80 mins per gl, 4,710 mins played - Spanish Liga

Suárez has the most goals, assists, best mins per goals ratio and has played more minutes than any other striker, only Aduriz has made more appearances than him. Incredible.

I'd like the hear others' opinions on this. While I have considered statistics for the 'competiveness' of Europe's leagues there's a fair amount of subjectiveness on my part there. Also, it's easy to say Benzema is better than Jonas for example but I hesitate to include players that played less than 3,000 minutes.

Neymar, Ronaldo and Messi's stats comparitively:

Neymar - 30 gls in 48 apps, 27 asts, 144 mins per gl, 4,313 mins played

Messi - 41 gls in 48 apps, 24 asts, 100 mins per gl, 4,109 mins played

Ronaldo - 51 gls in 47 apps, 15 asts, 82 mins per gl, 4,173 mins played

He's been the best striker bar none for about 3-4 years now, and he's been as good if not better than Messi and Ronaldo for the last 2 seasons.

Impressive stuff, really, and I've been one to hold on to an opinion that ever since 2008 or 2009 Messi and Ronaldo were always the top 2. I remember I knew this guy but vaguely, then he tied with Ronaldo for golden boot with 31 goals i in the PL, so like always I hit wikipedia to check his goal stats and saw a season with 49 in Ajax. I do this a lot, checking the goal stats of many players, but I don't really know whether this is true or not obviously, but that was the closest anyone got to 50 goals in a season in the last 20 years, excluding Jardel twice. And namely the obvious pair. Huntelaar got 48 once. 31 goals was Ronaldo's mark in the PL, so looking at both numbers in Ajax and Liverpool I just had this feeling this guy was "the one" that was gonna hit the ceiling along Messi and Ron. Ibrahimovic came close and sometimes sided with them, but Suarez now came to be sije by side with the two others, but he has actually surpassed them both and as it's been said here he is a true contender and deserves the best player award (along with Messi and Ronaldo,any of the 3 would be a worthy winner to me). But maybe he deserves it more.

Ronaldo has been great as usual, specially in CL, Messi is Messi, yeah that's how I've just come to describe Messi, he is just him, but it says something that Suarez, no matter that Messi is incredible even if he isn't scoring as much goals, has had more importance than him looking beyond the graphs. That's quite the accomplishment because I think Messi was really great this season. Even against Atletico in the CL he netted the goals and no other did in Barcelona. I don't have any references to great strikers besides Jardel (and even him, heh... Wasn't that good), Messi and Ronaldo and the Brazilian Ronaldo, sorry guys I'm young and never kept in touch until Ronaldo and Mourinho came along, but he reminds me better of portuguese Ronaldo rather than the other 3. He is always on the right place at the right time, it'like CR, sometimes he just makes me wonder how can he always be *there*. It's like some dark magic. He can smell the scent of the ball like a dog.

And what I like in his style is that he really is like a hunting dog. He has this ferocious style, he's so different in style from the other 2, and I've learned something I always hold on to, different styles are always so good to appreciate. Messi and Ronaldo are so far apart in styles that's what makes it so good inside to appreciate both of them equally, like Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer in tennis. Suarez is nothing like Messi, and nothing like Ronaldo. Ronaldo's style is ferocious but in a physical way, Suarez is ferocious in that he looks like... An animal. A ferocious animal. I love him.

Sorry for the wall of text. I never write posts this long except for Ronaldo, but it just goes to show I really enjoy Suarez enough to write the kind of post I rarely do.

About the discussion of Higuain - Suarez, I think Suarez is just on another class. Higuain has had an incredible season and to me he's top 5 in strikers. He should be proud of the season he had, too. He just needs to step it up a notch in Europe though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
images

Ljubomir Fejsa - 9 championships in a row

3 for Partizan, 3 for Olympiakos and now 3 for Benfica. Crazy.

images

Ljubomir Fejsa - 9 championships in a row

3 for Partizan, 3 for Olympiakos and now 3 for Benfica. Crazy.

Better then Zlatan Ibrahimovic even? Impressive.

Checked Zlatans wikipedia page, and got it to 8 straight championships with Ajax, Juventus, Inter, Barcelona and Milan between 2003/2004 and 2010/2011*. After which he has won four straight championships with Paris.

* If you count the two that were revoked for Juventus.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
lol , Arsenal fans congratulating themselves on finishing above Spurs and once again now talking about some more Wenger....

200_s.gif

Get rid of this fossil. I am almost half convinced Spurs gave up so they'd not go try and grab someone like Simione because with senile old turd at the helm Arsenal will be still clapping every top 4* (* excludes first) for the next X decades.

Get rid, move on.

Can't wait for next season already, just a pity there is the shitty Euros in the way. Maybe they are better to watch in other countries but the press and coverage in England during them is always a joke, only year I have enjoyed them was when England failed to qualify.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Wait what was the cockup with last year's MOTD goal of the season? Must've missed that.

Jack cw

Can't wait for next season already, just a pity there is the shitty Euros in the way. Maybe they are better to watch in other countries but the press and coverage in England during them is always a joke, only year I have enjoyed them was when England failed to qualify.
It's only funny when an underdog wins it or trolls many big nations out. Otherwise it's still Germany, Spain, France and Italy under the last 4.

I know that guy has probably finally left but to put it to bed...

This is my list of the current Top 10 out and out, traditional (Ronaldo, Messi, Müller, Griezmann, Neymar, etc. won't be present) centre forwards in the world (and the stats to hopefully back it up) based on their performances in the 2015/16 season and relative difficulty of their respective leagues: (Bold is the best, italics are the worst)

Honourable Mentions: Slimani, Benzema, Janssen, Dybala, Lukaku, Chicharito

10. Jonas - 35 gls in 46 apps, 16 asts, 107 mins per gl, 3,646 mins played - Portuguese Primeira Liga

9. Vardy - 24 gls in 38 apps, 8 asts, 134 mins per gl, 3,210 mins played - English PL

8. Kane - 28 gls in 50 apps, 2 asts, 144 mins per gl, 4,027 mins played - English PL

7. Agüero - 29 gls in 44 apps, 5 asts, 121 mins per gl, 3,523 mins played - English PL

6. Ibrahimović - 48 gls in 50 apps, 18 asts, 85 mins per gl, 4,057 mins played - French Ligue 1

5. Higuaín - 38 gls in 42 apps, 3 asts, 87 mins per gl, 3,287 mins played - Italian Serie A

4. Aduriz - 34 gls in 54 apps, 10 asts, 129 mins per gl, 4,397 mins played - Spanish Liga

3. Aubameyang - 39 gls in 48 apps, 12 asts, 98 mins per gl, 3,811 mins played - German Bundesliga

2. Lewandowski - 42 gls in 50 apps, 7 asts, 98 mins per gl, 4,116 mins played - German Bundesliga

1. Suárez - 59 gls in 52 apps, 26 asts, 80 mins per gl, 4,710 mins played - Spanish Liga

Suárez has the most goals, assists, best mins per goals ratio and has played more minutes than any other striker, only Aduriz has made more appearances than him. Incredible.

I'd like the hear others' opinions on this. While I have considered statistics for the 'competiveness' of Europe's leagues there's a fair amount of subjectiveness on my part there. Also, it's easy to say Benzema is better than Jonas for example but I hesitate to include players that played less than 3,000 minutes.

Neymar, Ronaldo and Messi's stats comparitively:

Neymar - 30 gls in 48 apps, 27 asts, 144 mins per gl, 4,313 mins played

Messi - 41 gls in 48 apps, 24 asts, 100 mins per gl, 4,109 mins played

Ronaldo - 51 gls in 47 apps, 15 asts, 82 mins per gl, 4,173 mins played

The non-superstars which any great team can buy are Aduriz,Vardy , Jonas and Slimani (i don't know a lot about Janssen). Aduriz is kinda old, Jonas the same, Vardy seems crazy. Slimani is literally a tank. 3 years ago he seemed a benny hill character in a football game, today he is pretty real. Whoever gets him, will be happy as fuck as he is the type of striker that is almost non-existent. Strong as fuck, amazing header, doesnt allow any defender to catch a break. Dude was made to play in the premier league. If he had come to Europe with 18-19, instead of 24 years, he could have been massive.

Nice to see Jack '141 minutes of football in 12 months' Wilshere's guaranteed a place. Yet Roy the joker continues to claim he's picked his side based entirely on form - the sooner England's rid of him the better.

EmiPrime

lol , Arsenal fans congratulating themselves on finishing above Spurs and once again now talking about some more Wenger....

200_s.gif

Get rid of this fossil. I am almost half convinced Spurs gave up so they'd not go try and grab someone like Simione because with senile old turd at the helm Arsenal will be still clapping every top 4* (* excludes first) for the next X decades.

Get rid, move on.

What are you on about? Wenger's contract runs until May 2017 and he always shuts down contract talk by saying he sees out his contracts. We know he will be there next season.

Raddy100

Neo Member
I fear for our defence going into the euros, we really don't have that much to choose from though.

Overall quite a young squad, hopefully they can play without too much pressure.

Raddy100

Neo Member
Yeah I'm surprised he's in there, when he's not been injured he's busy giving possession away. Still don't know why city got him. (I do, home grown quota)

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where Ryan Bertrand and Danny Rose are considered better left backs than Aaron Cresswell.

Breathtakingly predictable squad. One boring summer coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom