• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 & Off-season |OT2| 5000-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

They spotted Götze in Manchester while he is training in another country? I love this period and British rumors/stories in particular. Remember the men in suits?

apparently wants a move to anfield
TnQRX6v.gif

They're not even in the Europa League next season...

GHG

Sucks for Drinkwater. Don't understand how dross like lollana and Milner get in but he doesn't.

Oh and Podoliski is in Germany's squad? He will keep getting named in their squads even after he's retired.

DerZuhälter;205160619 said:
Süle, Brooks, Tah?
I just feel like Toprak is already at his skill ceiling. He'll never be above average. And that ain't something worth 22M.

Süle and Brooks haven't even played on European level. Simply not what we're looking for. I'd love Tah but if Leverkusen wants 22m for Toprak, Tah would be twice as much.

To be honest, I don't want Toprak, especially for that price. But he's experienced, decent on international level and would be an okay signing. I'd rather we add a bit more money and get Rüdiger or Mustafi, though.

bjaelke

Sucks for Drinkwater. Don't understand how dross like lollana and Milner get in but he doesn't.

Oh and Podoliski is in Germany's squad? He will keep getting named in their squads even after he's retired.

But you're okay with Wilshere being there?

Godan

Always want England to flop hard at any international tournament but the fact Drinkwater didn't get in the squad pisses me off.

Floody

He'd have better offers though....

I like Klopp a lot, but I don't think he has that much pull. Also think he would cost too much.

He'll definitely cost too much, I think the rumours are around £70m (yes, not euros). We get linked with him pretty much every transfer window (though it's usually the other way around), so maybe he thinks his best shot is through us. Though I'm still in the it's bs camp.

MrS

Banned
Always want England to flop hard at any international tournament but the fact Drinkwater didn't get in the squad pisses me off.
Same. Poor Danny, definitely deserves to be there over Wilshere. Would have only taken 1 from Sturridge and Rashford too. Probably Rashford due to Sturridge's fitness issues.

Süle and Brooks haven't even played on European level. Simply not what we're looking for.

Dembele hasn't played on european level either.
If this will be the standard for scouting operations in the future, Dortmund will have quite a struggle finding anyone that isn't on everyone's else radar. And with the limited money you'll have to opt more often for the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best option.
They need to show a certain boldness to invest in talents. Even if Ginter turned out to be a 10M euro dud.

Jack cw

DerZuhälter;205163865 said:
If this will be the standard for scouting operations in the future, Dortmund will have quite a struggle finding anyone that isn't on everyone's else radar. And with the limited money you'll have to opt more often for the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best option.
They need to show a certain boldness to invest in talents. Even if Ginter turned out to be a 10M euro dud.

It's about balance on a competition and financial level. They have Reus, Aubameyang, Kagawa, Mickytarian in attack, all international class players. A talent like Dembele can only profit and become a great player too.
They have Sokratis, Subotic and Ginter as CBs. Sokratis is right now their best and they need at least one player with international class to hold their level and be competitive. A talent there would be a huge risk, and Watzke isn't known for taking risks.

DerZuhälter;205163865 said:
What does Dembele have to do with this?

We are looking at a starting CB for us right now, not a player that can be one in a year or two.

la_briola

Süle and Brooks haven't even played on European level. Simply not what we're looking for. I'd love Tah but if Leverkusen wants 22m for Toprak, Tah would be twice as much.

To be honest, I don't want Toprak, especially for that price. But he's experienced, decent on international level and would be an okay signing. I'd rather we add a bit more money and get Rüdiger or Mustafi, though.

Get Huebner FFS, doesn't need to be a starter at first, but get him. Call Watzke now!

bjaelke

Oh course. And so will everyone else who supports England when he yet again proves to be our best player.

But please, carry on hating him.
That's what I thought.

And I don't care either way. Was just hoping for a good argument. Oh well.

That's what I thought.

And I don't care either way. Was just hoping for a good argument. Oh well.
Bit different though isn't it? If you want to claim Wilshere shouldn't be there based on fitness and lack of match time then fair enough, but I don't think there is any doubting his ability is far greater than either Lallana or Milner.

Lallana shouldn't even be in this debate, he plays a completely different position

And as annoying as he can be, he's the only forward player England have who is capable of slowing the game down and giving his teammates time to get into position, rather than playing at 100mph

GHG

Lallana shouldn't even be in this debate, he plays a completely different position

And as annoying as he can be, he's the only forward player England have who is capable of slowing the game down and giving his teammates time to get into position, rather than playing at 100mph

But if you're slowing the game down while on the attack then you're also allowing the opposition time to get organised...

And your right, it is a different position, so it's Henderson that we should really be questioning. What does he even do? He's just an English version of Aaron Ramsey.

bjaelke

Bit different though isn't it? If you want to claim Wilshere shouldn't be there based on fitness and lack of match time then fair enough, but I don't think there is any doubting his ability is far greater than either Lallana or Milner.

I don't watch the national team nor was my intention to make a case for either Lallana or Milner, but they've at least they've shown decent form in 2016. Wilshere has shown fuck all aside from a pack of cigarettes.

Drinkwater should've been rewarded either way.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

That sums up England so perfectly. Pick a bunch of players who should be good because we're told they are instead of players like Drinkwater who just won the league.

say what you want about Lallana or Milner but they got the Europa league final this season. Wilshere literally started one game.

Jack cw

That sums up England so perfectly. Pick a bunch of players who should be good because we're told they are instead of players like Drinkwater who just won the league.

Thats basically England international since 1966 in a nutshell.
I would still have Wilshere at Bayern though.

Oh and:
BVB wants Rode. Deal is pretty much done. They offered 10m. Bayern wants 15. So he'll leave for 9.
And Besiktas gave an offer for Robben.

I agree partially. But Hodgson doesn't pick on form.

I also think though there is room in a squad to take a chance on a few players.

But if you're slowing the game down while on the attack then you're also allowing the opposition time to get organised...

And your right, it is a different position, so it's Henderson that we should really be questioning. What does he even do? He's just an English version of Aaron Ramsey.

We don't need to be trying to force a goal all the time though. Look at our performance against Turkey, it was a complete mess with everyone in that attacking unit trying to find the quickest route to goal and never giving their teammates time to find a decent position.

Wilshere's call up reminds me of when my team used to always call up Dos Santos even when he never played at all.
In face we are known for doing this a lot, but now it's a lot better. Players that deserve a call are getting it.
I feel bad for Danny, thought for sure he'll make the squad.

Finally pulled the trigger after 6 years on getting me a US shirt and for some fucking reason got two. 2015 Away Zardes shirt and 2016 Home Pulisic shirt for a combined $120

Will probably regret getting them both, but oh well.

Both great shirts! Love the second one.

Syder

If Danny Drinkwater can't get in the England squad after being one of the stand-out players in a title winning team when bang average players like Lallana and Milner and unfit players like Wilshere can get in, then Mark Noble might as well just declare himself for Ireland.

Funny that Roy picked Andy Carroll for EURO 2012 when he was in worse form but was playing for Liverpool. (I don't think Carroll should be picked but it shows how arbitrary Roy's selection 'policy' is)

If Danny Drinkwater can't get in the England squad after being one of the stand-out players in a title winning team when bang average players like Lallana and Milner and unfit players like Wilshere can get in, then Mark Noble might as well just declare himself for Ireland.

Funny that Roy picked Andy Carroll for EURO 2012 when he was in worse form but was playing for Liverpool. (I don't think Carroll should be picked but it shows how arbitrary Roy's selection 'policy' is)
Nobody had heard of Kane and Vardy in 2012 tbf

Striker selection was absolute shite back then

If Danny Drinkwater can't get in the England squad after being one of the stand-out players in a title winning team when bang average players like Rooney, Wheelchair, Lallana and Milner can get in, then Mark Noble might as well just declare himself for Ireland.

I fixed that a bit for you.

Syder

Nobody had heard of Kane and Vardy in 2012 tbf

Striker selection was absolute shite back then
A fair point but I'd argue that even back then Carroll shouldn't have been near the England squad.
I fixed that a bit for you.
I'd be fine with Wilshere being in if he'd actually played some football matches in the last 12 months. Also, Rooney is the captain, Roy picked him, it was a mistake and he has to stick by that. The chance of upsetting the squad by leaving Rooney behind is not worth it now. Roy should leave him on the bench for 95% of the tournament but he probably won't.

Syder

Our goal this competition has to be not only making out of the group easily but also beating a decent team in the knockout stages or Roy has to go. If we go out of the quarters or semis to teams like France, Germany or Spain I don't think we can have too many gripes.

Why do I have the feeling we're going to draw to Russia and lose to Wales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom