• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 & Off-season |OT2| 5000-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arsenal are talking to Leicester about signing Vardy.
h19cz3s.gif

GHG

I'd be ok with Vardy. At least he can run unlike Giroud and maybe he can teach Theo a thing or two about using his pace.

Vardy is 29. Will be 30 half way through next season. Has had one standout season. He is the opposite of your typical Wenger signing.

Some people have also noted that Arsenal apparently activated Kante's release clause too. Then signed Xhaka...

GHG

Vardy is 29. Will be 30 half way through next season. Has had one standout season. He is the opposite of your typical Wenger signing.

Some people have also noted that Arsenal apparently activated Kante's release clause too. Then signed Xhaka...

Well "typical Wenger" has got us fucking nowhere over the last decade.

It's about time he started doing something different.

Fdkn

Leicester getting dismantled would be a shame =/

Most of them probably won't be as good as they've been together this year in other teams

The Beeb now reporting it and they don't usually get these things wrong.

Syder

If Vardy turns out to be a one season wonder he'll still be a better signing for Arsenal than Chamakh and Park Chu-Young.

I don't think we will sign another CB, even if Subotic leaves.
We still got Bender,Sokratis,Ginter and Batra on top of that.

Unless Tuchel still wants Ginter as RB option.

Anyway, for that amount of money I'm okay with the transfer.
I'm a bit skeptical as he sounds like someone who took the step for change too late, spending a crucial time of his development on the bench instead of seeking change.
At least Merino will have a buddy now.
Well yeah, Bartra without clause obviously changes things.

However, it's still unclear what Tuchel is planning. If he's pushing 3 CBs, we need another one. And it's unclear who stays. Ginter will be interesting if we sign Guerreiro and Durm will primarly compete as RB. He might want to leave after all.

Yeah I saw Ornstein tweet about it and he's usually spot on. Maybe Wenger wants a stopgap because there isn't much out there...

That's probably it.

The options are either offer up a likely transfer world record type offer for Higuain

Pay 50-70m for someone like Morata or Lukaku

or 20m for Vardy. Can't fault Arsene for going in that direction. I think it'll work out better than people seem to think it will.

Arsenal play a slower style but I think the only reason is to accommodate Giroud. The players are their to make a switch to play on the counter more easily. Ozil Sanchez and Vardy could be a pretty great attack next season.

Vardy would be great at Arsenal, potentially. Imagine Ozil putting all those chances on a plate for a striker who can actually put the fucking things away.

Unstoppable.

Floody

Apparently PSG are willing to pay in excess of £40m for Coutinho. I honestly don't know how to feel about that. On his day he's worth that and then some and he's the only player we have who can really turn a game on it's head, but he's also too inconsistent. What do other Liverpool fans think? I do think we could probably squeeze out a good bit more from them though.

Wonder how Vardy will adapt to Arsenal's style.

I think he'd do well, especially If they keep Ozil. And for £20m it's worth the gamble imo.

Apparently PSG are willing to pay in excess of £40m for Coutinho. I honestly don't know how to feel about that. On his day he's worth that and then some and he's the only player we have who can really turn a game on it's head, but he's also too inconsistent. What do other Liverpool fans think? I do think we could probably squeeze out a good bit more from them though.
I'll be gutted if he leaves. We've sold enough of our best players.

Jarnet87

Ibra Ibra !

hqdefault.jpg

Zlatan scoring against City, the face he'll make to Pepchester, Mou running down the touch line.

Is it August yet?

Pennywise

Well yeah, Bartra without clause obviously changes things.

However, it's still unclear what Tuchel is planning. If he's pushing 3 CBs, we need another one. And it's unclear who stays. Ginter will be interesting if we sign Guerreiro and Durm will primarly compete as RB. He might want to leave after all.

Tittmer is saying that we're still looking for another CB, so I guess one is leaving us after all.
Oh well.

We still got so much cash, I really wonder what other positions/players we're gonna go for.

Floody

I'll be gutted if he leaves. We've sold enough of our best players.

I'll be sad too, but i don't think he's un-replaceable, and I doubt he's force a move either, so we could get a lot for him. The biggest reason I'd be against us selling him, is I doubt we'd spend the money well,
we'd probably blow it all on a Southampton player

EmiPrime

I'm not a fan of Vardy and his diving but if the BBC and The Guardian are reporting it then it's happening, they are top tier as far as sources go. At just £20m his age is irrelevant.

Wonder what Mahrez's release clause is...

It blows my fucking mind that in today's game £20m is not seen as a risk.

"Oh, it's only twenty million, if he flops he flops..."

TWENTY MILLION POUNDS!

Incredible.

bjaelke

Berlusconi said:
The President is currently in advanced negotiations to sell 70 per cent of the club to a Chinese conglomerate, which reportedly includes members of the Government.

However, he spoke to people after a political rally in Ostia, near Rome, and was filmed telling them about the situation.

“I said the Communist Chinese used to eat their babies. It’s true! It’s true!” Berlusconi said on video.

“They had a huge famine and children were dying as their mothers didn’t have the milk, so to stop the other children going hungry they’d boil them up and eat them.

“And I am supposed to give Milan to them?”

He then made a gesture with his hands as if to say ‘what has the world come to?’
SkeO5CE.gif

sora87

I'd be sad to see him go even if he is very inconsistent, but I wouldn't begrudge him going to a club that's challenging for trophies. PSG though... no trophy in france matters really.

DBT85

Weird move from Koeman. I'd have stayed at Southampton.

Same issue with Southampton tbh, they'll sell. Everton will too, despite what they might claim. Every club will sell for the right money, and the right money will come along.

Also, is money talks, then his reported wages practically shouts. Gaal wasn't on that much at Utd IIRC.

TWENTY MILLION POUNDS!

Incredible.

It's probably like 3 match days when you count up tv revenue, ticket sales, pies etc. 20 million to PL teams really isn't a risk.

RiggyRob

Ibra Ibra !

hqdefault.jpg

Zlatan scoring against City, the face he'll make to Pepchester, Mou running down the touch line.

Is it August yet?

The more I think about it, the less I understand Zlatan.

He's moving from a CL club to Europa league, in the most competitive league in the world with no guarantee of a title. OK, he probably likes money and Mourinho, but I'm sure there are other teams that would be able to offer the same money/prestige and starting striker role?

Not that I'm complaining though!

Audioboxer

The more I think about it, the less I understand Zlatan.

He's moving from a CL club to Europa league, in the most competitive league in the world with no guarantee of a title. OK, he probably likes money and Mourinho, but I'm sure there are other teams that would be able to offer the same money/prestige and starting striker role?

Not that I'm complaining though!

Probably wants to give things a go in the EPL before he retires. Man Utd need a striker, Mou and money. Doubt he wants to be a permanent bench player like he might be at some of the other top EPL clubs.

Ibra Ibra !

Is it August yet?

Might not have to wait that long. 25th July Manchester City vs Manchester United at the Birds Nest Stadium. Only a preseason friendly but that game could set the tone for the rest of the season

Audioboxer

TWENTY MILLION POUNDS!

Incredible.

Dem TV rights customers pay off, ticket prices and rich tycoons. Sadly, it is a drop in the ocean. Heck LvG got to waste 250 million and still got a 5 million pay off package when sacked.

The scummy side of football is indeed scummy, but we just try to enjoy the sport the best we can.

I really don't want Vardy. Put that 20m toward someone like Higuain

What's wrong with Vardy? Everyone on here seems to laugh with that, but wouldn't that finally be a good striker for Arsenal and even at a decent cost.
Higuain will cost probably 4 times as much as Vardy and honestly isn't that much better. (I saw him at Real for years and years, he's a good striker obviously, but isn't exactly 80 million good.)

Probably wants to give things a go in the EPL before he retires. Man Utd need a striker, Mou and money. Doubt he wants to be a permanent bench player like he might be at some of the other top EPL clubs.

Yup and I also don't think that many world class teams are interested in him. It's a short term solution that is going to bring a lot of media attention.

It's always a gamble because he's just crazy, but Mourinho and him have a special relationship like you and some other people on here said.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Ibrahimovic in the PL is going to be amazing. He's either going to do amazing and become unbearably smug or flop and get really mad.

Vardy going to Arsenal is definitely one of the shocks of the window. Of all the players I would've thought would go it wasn't 30yr old Vardy. I imagined he would just ride out his career with Leicester and become a legend.

Ibrahimovic in the PL is going to be amazing. He's either going to do amazing and become unbearably smug or flop and get really mad.

Vardy going to Arsenal is definitely one of the shocks of the window. Of all the players I would've thought would go it wasn't 30yr old Vardy. I imagined he would just ride out his career with Leicester and become a legend.

Couldn't agree more, he has to stay in Europe, I don't even care at what club or competition.

We still have to see what a bad playing Ibrahimovic is like (in the team and as a personality). The same goes with a Cristiano Ronaldo, what would he be like in 4 years or so and starts playing really bad. How would such a player react.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
He's been told he can have the money from the sale of Lukaku and maybe Stones if he goes. Then £100m added on.

curious to see who he would buy then with no european football

I think most people would rather join Liverpool in that situation or one of the other seven clubs in Europe.

DBT85

Dem TV rights customers pay off, ticket prices and rich tycoons. Sadly, it is a drop in the ocean. Heck LvG got to waste 250 million and still got a 5 million pay off package when sacked.

The scummy side of football is indeed scummy, but we just try to enjoy the sport the best we can.

In all fairness to LVG, a) a lot of money was recouped as well from sales, so yes we spent £250m but a decent amount came back in and b) I still think that Smiling Woodward just buys who he wants half the time. It's not Gaals fault the man's a fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom