• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 & Off-season |OT2| 5000-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Pelle in talks with Everton according to his agent. I have no idea why they want him. His knee is fucked and he is getting in.

Syder

Good news England fans!

KJxX3ba.gif

Beefy

@DJBond6873
Discovery/Eurosport to share Bundesliga TV rights with Sky. Value of rights almost doubles to 4.64bn Euros.

Sky basically throwing cash everywhere to kill off BT.

Jack cw

@DJBond6873
Discovery/Eurosport to share Bundesliga TV rights with Sky. Value of rights almost doubles to 4.64bn Euros.

Still a strange deal from Discovery. 45 games with basically no Bayern, Scahlke or Dortmund, because the opening game of Bundesliga runs on free tv. Those 3 make up around 75% of all viewers in Germany...

la_briola

@DJBond6873

afaik:

this is for Germany, not UK/England.

Also: Sky had the exclusive rights before, now they don't.

Jamie Vardy has told England teammates he's likely to stay with Leicester according to James Olley

Looks like another free transfer from Ligue 2 for a striker it is then.

Still a strange deal from Discovery. 45 games with basically no Bayern, Scahlke or Dortmund, because the opening game of Bundesliga runs on free tv. Those 3 make up around 75% of all viewers in Germany...
What?

I don't understand. No BVB and Bayern because why exactly?

Quick GAF, based on this chart :

CIr9dpsWwAAW2g4.jpg

How much is Bayern supposed to do in 2017/2018 ? 100 M$ ?
Also, when the TV rights deal for the BPL enters in vigor, every team in it will earn about as much as Barça and Real last year.
Absolutely mental.

How is it a joke. Should be breathing a sigh of relief, with Wenger's track record of transfers it likely would have been Vardy and no other strikers coming in. Too big a risk.
Judging by Wenger's track record, instead of getting Vardy and no other strikers coming in, well just get no one at all.

When the BPL's TV rights contract for the 2016-2019 period kicks in this summer, the BPL will have 8 billion £ at disposal over three years.

BPL : 8/3 = 2.66 billion £ a season -> which is equal to 3.38 billion €
Bundeliga : in comparison, starting next Summer, the Bundesliga clubs will have roughly 1.5 billion € a season at disposal

Bundesliga should have done better. Although it was sure the gap would grow more in absolute terms, they failed at making it smaller in relative terms. To me, for a league this quality, this is clearly a failure.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
How is it a joke. Should be breathing a sigh of relief, with Wenger's track record of transfers it likely would have been Vardy and no other strikers coming in. Too big a risk.

We don't need a shit ton of strikers, just someone better than Giroud

Jack cw

What?

I don't understand. No BVB and Bayern because why exactly?

Use your brain, Milch:
Pay-TV (Sky) audience in Germany for 2015/16 were a bit more than 3 million paying customers. 850.000 on average watched Bayern Munichs Bundesliga matches. 700.000 watched Dortmund and 500.000 Schalke. 95% of games were on Saturday/Sunday. Those 3 combined have more viewers than the rest of Bundesliga together. So the package of live-games for Friday is pretty unattractive, considering Eurosport 2 is behind a pay wall as well, that comes additionally to Sky Sports. 45 games, from which are 2 Bayern (Eröffnungsspiel Hin- und Rückrunde), that are also shown on public TV for several hundred million is insane.
Bundesliga should have done better. Although it was sure the gap would grow more in absolute terms, they failed at making it smaller in relative terms. To me, for a league this quality, this is clearly a failure.
With a no investor rule, the german mentality that is anti Pay-TV and the Bayern Munich centric audience, those 1.5 billion are the best you could hope for.

Syder

with Wenger's track record of transfers it likely would have been Vardy and no other strikers coming in. Too big a risk.
20m (for a striker that just scored 24 goals) is not a risk for a Premier League club any more. West Ham, for example, were weighing up paying the same for Carlos Bacca who's slightly older than Vardy and unproven in England.

Use your brain, Milch:
Pay-TV (Sky) audience in Germany for 2015/16 were a bit more than 3 million paying customers. 850.000 on average watched Bayern Munichs Bundesliga matches. 700.000 watched Dortmund and 500.000 Schalke. 95% of games were on Saturday/Sunday. Those 3 combined have more viewers than the rest of Bundesliga together. So the package of live-games for Friday is pretty unattractive, considering Eurosport 2 is behind a pay wall as well, that comes additionally to Sky Sports. 45 games, from which are 2 Bayern (Eröffnungsspiel Hin- und Rückrunde), that are also shown on public TV for several hundred million is insane.
They're not only getting Friday matches, though, also Sunday 12:30 and Monday 20:30. Even with CL, the Sunday matches are possible for all clubs. And DFL will make sure that especially the Monday games are special. And I'm also pretty sure that every team has roughly the same amount of Friday matches.

I don't want to judge the price they're paying but basically no Bayern and BVB is just not true.

When the BPL's TV rights contract for the 2016-2019 period kicks in this summer, the BPL will have 8 billion £ at disposal over three years.

BPL : 8/3 = 2.66 billion £ a season -> which is equal to 3.38 billion €
Bundeliga : in comparison, starting next Summer, the Bundesliga clubs will have roughly 1.5 billion € a season at disposal

Isn't the PL money also including the money from international TV rights? The new figures from the Bundesliga are Germany-only.

Jack cw

They're not only getting Friday matches, though, also Sunday 12:30 and Monday 20:30. Even with CL, the Sunday matches are possible for all clubs. And DFL will make sure that especially the Monday games are special. And I'm also pretty sure that every team has roughly the same amount of Friday matches.

I don't want to judge the price they're paying but basically no Bayern and BVB is just not true.

It is though. DFL wont set Bayern and Dortmund 10 times a season on Sunday or Monday, especially not 13:30, when we have 3 or 4 german clubs playing Euro League on Thursday, the other 3 or 4 on Tuesday and Wednesday CL. The best Eurosport could hope for is 2 or 3 games whole season but then we are talking about BVB - Darmstadt or something like this. They are also missing out on all games that are played on weekdays (Englische Wochen). Sky pays by far the most and the top game is theirs which is mostly one of the top 5 clubs included, so one or two games over a complete season is rather unattractive for making anyone pay. Again, Eurosport needs people to pay the wall and without many games of the 3 top clubs, this whole deal is basically a marketing and image campaign.

Jarnet87

Pogba to United going to be the great big hype story that the media will push all summer and then laugh at us for bottling it (when we had Zero chance) when he signs for Madrid/Barca overnight.

Every summer we get one of these lol.

20m (for a striker that just scored 24 goals) is not a risk for a Premier League club any more. West Ham, for example, were weighing up paying the same for Carlos Bacca who's slightly older than Vardy and unproven in England.
I consider it a risk because he would likely be the only striker signed. If it were Vardy and another striker coming in then fair enough, but I'd rather have someone who has proven over multiple years they can reliably score goals in a top league. Rather than just for one season.

Jack cw

Pogba to United going to be the great big hype story that the media will push all summer and then laugh at us for bottling it (when we had Zero chance) when he signs for Madrid/Barca overnight.

Every summer we get one of these lol.

At least redcafe has it's reason to exist then.

It is though. DFL wont set Bayern and Dortmund 10 times a season on Sunday or Monday, especially not 13:30, when we have 3 or 4 german clubs playing Euro League on Thursday, the other 3 or 4 on Tuesday and Wednesday CL. The best Eurosport could hope for is 2 or 3 games whole season but then we are talking about BVB - Darmstadt or something like this. They are also missing out on all games that are played on weekdays (Englische Wochen). Sky pays by far the most and the top game is theirs which is mostly one of the top 5 clubs included, so one or two games over a complete season is rather unattractive for making anyone pay. Again, Eurosport needs people to pay the wall and without many games of the 3 top clubs, this whole deal is basically a marketing and image campaign.

I just looked up the last two seasons: 8 matches from Bayern, BVB and Schalke last season and 12 the season before on Fridays. Let's add those 2-3 games you talked about and we're at ~12. Out of 40 games Eurosport shows. And then there's also Gladbach, Köln, Werder, HSV and Frankfurt who have a good fan base.

I don't mind if you outright say Eurosport is doing shit business - that might very well be true. But saying they basically show none of these clubs is bogus. If this ~25% rate of these three clubs happens, that's pretty good. Sky wants their games from these clubs as well.

Jack cw

I just looked up the last two seasons: 8 matches from Bayern, BVB and Schalke last season and 12 the season before on Fridays. Let's add those 2-3 games you talked about and we're at ~12. Out of 40 games Eurosport shows. And then there's also Gladbach, Köln, Werder, HSV and Frankfurt who have a good fan base.

I don't mind if you outright say Eurosport is doing shit business - that might very well be true. But saying they basically show none of these clubs is bogus. If this ~25% rate of these three clubs happens, that's pretty good. Sky wants their games from these clubs as well.

2 of those 4 Bayern games on Friday for example were shown also on free tv.
The deal is shit, because they have to get the customers from Sky to convert or pay additional, because not many will buy Eurosport when they didn't buy a Sky subscription already. The offering is less attractive than Sky, where you get the majority of games live with good broadcast and infrastructure for 17 eur a month. My problem is that the migration of the audience for those lesser Bundesliga teams is not adding up. Without Bayern, BVB and Schalke on a regular basis they can forget people buying that serivce. Sportschau and Sportsutdio work because the service has at least an overall value. Sky needed a decade to finally get 3 million subscribers in a country with more than 45 million households with TV and they still writing red numbers. The environment in Germany for pay walls is toxic and the fact that the audiences only watch Bayern or BVB for good numbers says it all. This is nothing but an image move. Same that happened when Arena bought the Bundesliga rights back in 2006. We all know what happened.

Syder

I consider it a risk because he would likely be the only striker signed. If it were Vardy and another striker coming in then fair enough, but I'd rather have someone who has proven over multiple years they can reliably score goals in a top league. Rather than just for one season.
When Wenger couldn't get his targets last Summer he gave up, settling for a solitary signing; it cost Arsenal the league.

Wenger doesn't want to build for the future any more. If he can sign Vardy and win the title, he can retire in a good atmosphere.

2 of those 4 Bayern games on Friday for example were shown also on free tv.
The deal is shit, because they have to get the customers from Sky to convert or pay additional, because not many will buy Eurosport when they didn't buy a Sky subscription already. The offering is less attractive than Sky, where you get the majority of games live with good broadcast and infrastructure for 17 eur a month. My problem is that the migration of the audience for those lesser Bundesliga teams is not adding up. Without Bayern, BVB and Schalke on a regular basis they can forget people buying that serivce. Sportschau and Sportsutdio work because the service has at least an overall value. Sky needed a decade to finally get 3 million subscribers in a country with more than 45 million households with TV and they still writing red numbers. The environment in Germany for pay walls is toxic and the fact that the audiences only watch Bayern or BVB for good numbers says it all. This is nothing but an image move. Same that happened when Arena bought the Bundesliga rights back in 2006. We all know what happened.
They weren't shown on free TV, I didn't count the ones on the 1st, 17th and 18th matchday.

But yeah, like I said, call it a shit move, but they're still able to show plenty of these clubs.

spidye

Holy shit at the whole 'lewandowski' story
(The leverkusen coach, not the bayern player)

He was allegedly arrested for molesting a child and commited suicide before this was known to the public

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom