• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 & Off-season |OT2| 5000-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothos

z20343789ID.jpg

spidye

You can crtisise anything. But Pep brought us 3 Bundesliga wins in a row with an unprecedented domination, made us tactically versatile, did a huge part of the transition inside the team, 2 DFB Cups and 3 CL semis where he only failed against Real due to wrong tactics. Barca was better and we had all our wingers injured. Atletico was because of missed chances. On that level small margins decide and judging him by that irrational expectations of 3 CL wins in a row is beyond daft. Not everything was good, medical staff, media work for example but his job and success are undisputeable. That is why I respect all the Fraudiola opinions but cannot take them serious when I see his work and what the club achieved through him and where we are now.

And the local factor is there. Parts of our fanbase and many media outlets here in Munich do nothing but discredit him, because they think he sold the Mia San Mia mentality or simply do not understand his ideas. I remember very well the last 25 years at Bayern and while we had a decent international phase around 2000, we never belonged to the likes of Ajax, Juve or Milan. Today we are top 3 for years. We should not forget where we came from and I admire our board for having the balls to get Pep and play an attacking football I have never seen before in Munich.

I don't understand how this is related to calling people success fans who are not fond of pep.
and besides that, we had this exact discussion 3 months before. we played consistetly under pep, sure, but he made us not better than before. neither could he maintain our form of 2011-2013 but that's another story.

Jack cw

I don't understand how this is related to calling people success fans who are not fond of pep.
and besides that, we had this exact discussion 3 months before. we played consistetly under pep, sure, but he made us not better than before. neither could he maintain our form of 2011-2013 but that's another story.
Then we will never come into terms because you base the foundation of your arguments on a hypothetical alternate reality in which Heynckes and his successor would have dominated Europe for many years in a row. Which is the very definition of success. And I remember us being beaten by Dortmund domestically and failed against Chelsea and Inter in CL. So one year that was driven by redeeming ourselves from a traumatic CL final at home with counter attacks against a handicapped Barca side, Arsenal nearly knocking us out and a lucky final in Wembley doesn't change what was before. We were close but not good enough. The treble is a benchmark that is statistically rare as well as our CL wins. We win it every 16 years to be precise. Pep made us hold that level, brought us much more consistency and we were able to win this fucking CL every year under him and failed by the smallest of margins. To deny his work and achievement because of things like that is exactly what success fans do. Sorry.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Anyone know much about Asano? Sounds like he's not part of the first team plan just yet so I'm guessing he'll be going out on loan for a while. Or maybe act as the third option for striker.

His goalscoring ratio is shit "56 appearances and scoring 11 goals."

J-League too, hopefully he does well in the future though. He'll probably be loaned out first, like you say.

So I take it you won't be joining the Wnger out club then :) ?

Ask me again at the end of the transfer window. I'm teetering toward WOB though.

spidye

Then we will never come into terms because you base the foundation of your arguments on a hypothetical alternate reality in which Heynckes and his successor would have dominated Europe for many years in a row. Which is the very definition of success. And I remember us being beaten by Dortmund domestically and failed against Chelsea and Inter in CL. So one year that was driven by redeeming ourselves from a traumatic CL final at home with counter attacks against a handicapped Barca side, Arsenal nearly knocking us out and a lucky final in Wembley doesn't change what was before. We were close but not good enough. The treble is a benchmark that is statistically rare as well as our CL wins. We win it every 16 years to be precise. Pep made us hold that level, brought us much more consistency and we were able to win this fucking CL every year under him and failed by the smallest of margins. To deny his work and achievement because of things like that is exactly what success fans do. Sorry.

You can search my post history and not even once did I demand a cl win. I don't praise pep for acheiving 3 league titles in a 2 teams league where dortmund was at times last place last year. he won the dfb cup twice and one time it was by pure luck in a penalty shoot out.
Heynckes treble year was something special and I'm not a fool for expecting it every year.
I wanted pep to elevate our football and I fail to see how he did it. in fact we regressed with each year by scoring less goals and conceading more. look at the table. our best year was 2014 pep's first year. even with all the injuries in 2015 we scored more goals and were more tactical versatile although many players were missing
we should not forget we won against juve this year by outright false decisions by the refs. otherwise we would have been knocked out in the round of 16

Meier

That Liverpool training top is very sharp. Happy that the Arteta thing has been finalized -- he'll be a very good addition to the coaching team.

For the US fans, NBCSN is going to have the Pep part of Cityzens weekend online: http://www.nbcsports.com/live

The listed feed is Canada vs Latvia volleyball right now, lol.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Know what's shite?

Seeing the two Manchester clubs excited at their new managers and signings, whilst we (Arsenal) are all doom & gloom again

BVB imploded. Three of the top stars left and people sre talking about Reus, Subotic, Solratis, Aubsmeyang etc. leaving. Why? They are playing CL next season after all

Know what's shite?

Seeing the two Manchester clubs excited at their new managers and signings, whilst we (Arsenal) are all doom & gloom again

Arsenal did sign one of the best passing midfielders in all of Europe. Its like getting Xhaka locked down early is working against them.

There mustn't need to be so much change to our first team as all these transfers imply, though.

Bürki
Piszczek-Sokratis-Bender-Schmelzer
Castro-Weigl-Kagawa
X-Auba-Reus

X being reserved for Micky's replacement who'll probably be Schürrle or Götze (pls no, I want neither).

For example is a team that did well last season already. And that's important. We don't need any of the new signings to do well immediately. If one does a Weigl and breaks into the first team at the start, that's great. If not, we have plenty of talented backup players. A top 4 finish in the Bundesliga is a must for us and I'm fairly confident we'll make it.
X should be Kuba

Jarnet87

BVB imploded. Three of the top stars left and people sre talking about Reus, Subotic, Solratis, Aubsmeyang etc. leaving. Why? They are playing CL next season after all

Lots of teams get CL football. Good players want to play for better teams and Dortmund are a revolving door. The German Porto.

Dortmund earned so much money this summer

crazy

But lost like all their players
Lots of teams get CL football. Good players want to play for better teams and Dortmund are a revolving door. The German Porto.

How is ManU a better team at this point? They were 5th place last season. Mourinhos former team chelsea did even worse than that (hiddink barely salvaged them) so dont come with Van Gaal Sucked

ManCity also barely made the 4th place and lost against teams with half the budget. I dont think they will magically win everything just because guardiol is there (dont forget that Bayern peaked with Heynckes not guardiola)

spidye

I think it's because of more money and the prospect of winning a title in a much more balanced league.

and dotmund is much better than freaking united or city

I think it's because of more money and the prospect of winning a title in a much more balanced league.

and dotmund is much better than freaking united or city

Uh both city and united couldnt win despite the fact that liverpool and chelsea completely tanked and arsenal also didnt exactly play a champion season.

I fully expext tottenham and leicester to do badly this season but neither city nor united has anything guaranteed.

Also in case of micki he played two desastrous seasons and one great season. Nobody can guarantee that he will play a good season in manu at all

Hummels is just well a fuckin ass especially looking at his past comments towards götze.
they play in a competitive league

Its not like bundesliga is not competitive. It was close last season and bayern trumps any english club at this point.

spidye

Uh both city and united couldnt win despite the fact that liverpool and chelsea completely tanked and arsenal also didnt exactly play a champion season.

I fully expext tottenham and leicester to do badly this season but neither city nor united has anything guaranteed.

Also in case of micki he played two desastrous seasons and one great season. Nobody can guarantee that he will play a good season in manu at all

Hummels is just well a fuckin ass especially looking at his past comments towards götze.

Its not like bundesliga is not competitive. It was close last season and bayern trumps any english club at this point.

city had key players underperforming and united had van gaal and signings like depay so you can't take last year as an example and playing under pep and mou is still seen as a privilege it seems .
we shouldn't forget the money issue, too. when Bayern is starting to get nervous because of the wages at clubs like city or united how do you think dortmund can keep up?
those players are in their best footballer age and earning close to 3mil € and someone like rooney is getting 10 mil€ then it's a no brainer players want to leave germany/portugal/france/italy

Pachimari

Real Madrid have completed the signing of Paraguayan forward Sergio Díaz. Madrid will make a downpayment of five million euros to Asunsión-based outfit Cerro Porteño for the player - plus a further million euros in peformance-related add-ons. Sergio Díaz will sign a five-year contract and has been brought in to strengthen Real Madrid Castilla's attack for when Santiago Solari take over command for the new season. With Castilla, he will be the natural substitute for Mariano and Borja Mayoral.

The 18-year-old forward has represented Paraguay at youth level and shares the same Japanese honorific as Manchester City's Sergio Agüero - 'Kun' (Kid) - for the similarities he shares with the Argentine striker.

He made his senior debut with Cerro Porteño on 27 June 2014 and since then, has scored 16 goals in 70 outings over the past two seasons. 'Kun' Díaz is considered tio be one of the most promising talents to emerge from South America in recent years, and last year it was rumoured that Liverpool were ready to fork out 10 million euros for his services but the move was blocked by Cerro Porteño president Juan José Zapag as the player, still under 18, was deemed too young.

He'll play for our Castilla team under Santiago Solari.

city had key players underperforming and united had van gaal and signings like depay so you can't take last year as an example and playing under pep and mou is still seen as a privilege it seems .
we shouldn't forget the money issue, too. when Bayern is starting to get nervous because of the wages at clubs like city or united how do you think dortmund can keep up?
those players are in their best footballer age and earning close to 3mil € and someone like rooney is getting 10 mil€ then it's a no brainer players want to leave germany/portugal/france/italy

Its the managers job to keep a balance in the team. If citys players ubderperformed it means that the management couldnt find the optimal training. And talking about mourinho. Mou failed big time last year with chelsea.. Before that he got fired at real. Dont see how he is a messiah.

And yes, the Salaries of the EPL will probably drive a lot of players to EPL. Good thing that with the brexit the players probably will think twice (especially with bosman probably not applying anymore)

If citys players ubderperformed it means that the management couldnt find the optimal training.

City played very poor last year. They rarely got out of second gear. Played some of the most pedestrian tactics in a league where teams do adapt. Then there were the silly amount of injuries and many players being played out of position or in ways that didn't suit their skill set. Even with all that they still managed to get 4th and through to the semis of the CL.

If the manager can create a team spirit and positive mentality that plays to the strengths of the players, which they haven't really managed to do under Mancini or Pellegrini then they could dominate the league. But they are all big ifs.

The jungle drums are beating that a deal is close to being finalised for Robin Li, founder of Baidu and the ninth richest man in China, to buy Wolves and install Julen Lopetegui as the manager.

For context, Li's net worth is about £5 billion more than that of Roman Abramovich.

Don't want to hang the bunting just yet, but this has been rumbling in the Spanish media for days without the club actually denying it, and there does seem to be something happening. All I know is that it's been a very long time since we've had much to cheer about as a club, and to rocket from mid-table Championship no-hopers to one of the richest clubs in world football would be a hell of a thing.

Arsenal aren't even shopping for a centre-back, are they?
Who knows. We were being linked with Koulibaly and Benatia a few weeks ago though. Everyone seemed to think that Chambers was going on loan this season which would leave only 3 centre backs, two of which aren't good enough.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
But lost like all their players

How is ManU a better team at this point? They were 5th place last season. Mourinhos former team chelsea did even worse than that (hiddink barely salvaged them) so dont come with Van Gaal Sucked

ManCity also barely made the 4th place and lost against teams with half the budget. I dont think they will magically win everything just because guardiol is there (dont forget that Bayern peaked with Heynckes not guardiola)

ManUtd is the bigger club and still one of the top 4 teams in terms of popularity and prestige, playing in the Premier League is the dream of many footballers and they can probably offer more money than Dortmund.

Easy to see why someone would choose ManUtd over Dortmund. I would too.

Really excited to see PSG perform this year. Definitely my darkhorse (not sure if you can call them that) for the CL title. Only need a backup striker and they're set

RiggyRob

The jungle drums are beating that a deal is close to being finalised for Robin Li, founder of Baidu and the ninth richest man in China, to buy Wolves and install Julen Lopetegui as the manager.

For context, Li's net worth is about £5 billion more than that of Roman Abramovich.

Don't want to hang the bunting just yet, but this has been rumbling in the Spanish media for days without the club actually denying it, and there does seem to be something happening. All I know is that it's been a very long time since we've had much to cheer about as a club, and to rocket from mid-table Championship no-hopers to one of the richest clubs in world football would be a hell of a thing.

Not to be disrespectful, but when you're that rich, why Wolves?

When Abramovich took over Chelsea, it made sense (London club, decently successful at the time) and when the Sheiks took over City it also made sense (rival club to United, opportunity to utilise the Commonwealth stadium), but I don't see the same for this situation.

I mean, they're one of the founders of the league, sure, but they could go for Stoke, Aston Villa, Burnley etc. who are or have been in the Premier League recently. Is he a big fan of Wolves?

Meier

If Daahoud comes to England, it would almost certainly be to play for Pep. Liverpool would likely be a distant second option.

The premium West Midlands market is there for the taking.

Wolves are very well supported and they have a bitter rival in the Prem, a great stadium and a fantastic youth system.

Sounds like a good investment opportunity to me. Just keeping adding money and upgrading what I've noted above and sit back = profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom