• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 & Off-season |OT2| 5000-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hurry up pre-season games I want to watch some decent football. Even though they aren't real games pre-season is a lot better than this tournament crap, some interesting looking games as well. City, United, BVB and Bayern in China. Leicester City against PSG and Barcelona.

Is the Wolves in the Championship next season? And a rich guy is buying them?
They are, and it seems very likely by this point.

In fact, rich is understating it- Robin Li's net worth is almost twice that of Abramovitch.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that we're going to splash the cash like Chelsea or Man City, but that's a significant amount of capital behind us when (if!) it goes through.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If you are really serious about building up a strong club, picking one with great facilities and not too much luggage in terms of players and contracts and such makes very much sense.

Starting from second division also means not a huge pressure from the start.

RiggyRob

But why does he want to buy a team in the second division?

dc, pls:
Not to be disrespectful, but when you're that rich, why Wolves?

When Abramovich took over Chelsea, it made sense (London club, decently successful at the time) and when the Sheiks took over City it also made sense (rival club to United, opportunity to utilise the Commonwealth stadium), but I don't see the same for this situation.

I mean, they're one of the founders of the league, sure, but they could go for Stoke, Aston Villa, Burnley etc. who are or have been in the Premier League recently. Is he a big fan of Wolves?
It's not an unfair point, but Wolves are exceptionally well set up for the future- probably the best in the Midlands, all told. Newly-upgraded facilities across the board, a world-class academy setup, a large and engaged fanbase- for the outlay you'd have to pay, I don't think you're likely to get much of a better deal.

There's also more trivial, spurious stuff being speculated- Gold is a lucky colour in China! Baidu's motto is essentially out of darkness cometh light!- but I'd say that the club is a very worthy asset that's been mistreated over recent years. With the obvious purchases having been grabbed, a sleeping giant like Wolves makes a lot of sense for a prospective investor looking to make a splash in the sport.

bjaelke

Witsel will become Everton's best-paid player ever on a deal worth in excess of £120,000-a-week.

But Liverpool, Palace and Benteke confident a deal can be struck. Palace have offered to match Benteke's £120k-a-week Anfield wages.
Baffling that midtable clubs are suddenly able to afford those kind of wages.

Beefy

CmmmLkJW8AAHoXS.jpg:large

We have also bid £25m for Boufal.

Audioboxer

Mourinho seemed a lot more reigned in in his first MU press conference. Good sign.

Still had 1 or 2 thorny jibes which is okay. Even Fergie had some of them.

Totally mocked Van Gaal's philosophy nonsense which is good in my books.

Audioboxer

What did you expect? The master of bus parking devalues the master of attacking position play. Let's see how this will work out for him and United.

Van Gaal was not the master of anything... Well, possession you could say. The master of getting high possession and doing fuck all with it. Leicester, the masters of hardly any possession but lots of goals...

In many regards I don't care how the team sets up right now as long as we see goals, and lots of them. Having 0-0 at half time being your badge of honour does not suggest a good season.

Kill3r7

Van Gaal was not the master of anything... Well, possession you could say. The master of getting high possession and doing fuck all with it. Leicester, the masters of hardly any possession but lots of goals...

In many regards I don't care how the team sets up right now as long as we see goals, and lots of them. Having 0-0 at half time being your badge of honour does not suggest a good season.

To be fair both of our games against LCFC ended at 1-1. LvG did many things wrong but he played the top teams pretty well. It was the bottom half of the table that cost us dearly. Anyhow, glad that is all in the past now. Looking forward to this season.

Carbonox

Glad to see the back of Coloccini. Used to be absolutely fantastic but has been dross the last couple of years. Ridiculous we kept him so long.

We only have 2 CB's now though. :lol

GET TO IT RAFA.

Audioboxer

Enjoyed Mous press conference.

"how many have we signed?"
"two so far"
"three, we have three"

Full pres conference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbUkgtJaiGQ

Full MUTV interivew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOkk5g6kMZA

Glad to see him call Rashford a striker in that second video and refer to him and Zlat as the main strikers. As much I would prefer to see Martial as a striker, he's someone I don't mind being versatile where as Rashford needs to be a striker day 1+. No time spent wasting his potential as a winger.

Martial could be a "Ronaldo". Able to pretty much play in any attacking role including winger and be devastating. He is undoubtedly a better youth talent than Rashford as things stand which is why I'd prefer Rashford's development to be more focused on perfecting one role.

RiggyRob

Yeah but he'll be the AM/SS where he is equally useless these days. Also could mean it will be a 4-2-3-1 instead of a more attacking 4-3-3.

I dunno, I think he's actually our best option as a second striker - Zlatan's a pure 9, Martial's a left-sided forward, Rashford probably isn't ready to try and play behind Zlatan, and Herrera, Mata and Fellaini aren't strikers.

Oh bjaelke, you are tillbacka ? <3

Renato Sanches sorry is probably not true. I mean, how can you expect a guy who is 23 to suddenly explode like he did. Drugs ? Sudden peak in performance ? Secret weapon engineered by the Portuguese government ? It's much more likely that he stay unexposed because he was an 18 yo dude who went through the youth ranks before joining the first team.

Renato Sanches sorry is probably not true. I mean, how can you expect a guy who is 23 to suddenly explode like he did. Drugs ? Sudden peak in performance ? Secret weapon engineered by the Portuguese government ? It's much more likely that he stay unexposed because he was an 18 yo dude who went through the youth ranks before joining the first team.
It's obviously bullshit but your reasoning is kinda off. Plenty of players explode in their mid-twenties. Like, Piszczek, Schweine, etc.

bjaelke

You have to believe. It makes for the better story. Burden of proof is on the accused.

Fdkn

in Spain you don't go to prison with a less than 2 years prison sentence unless it's not the first time they condemned you to prison.

Regarding fraud, the maximum sentence if you acknowledge the fraud and pay the money in the two months after they notify you, is 24 months.

so... he was never going to prison.

Until he screws it again.

la_briola

in Spain you don't go to prison with a less than 2 years prison sentence unless it's not the first time they condemned you to prison.

Regarding fraud, the maximum sentence if you acknowledge the fraud and pay the money in the two months after they notify you, is 24 months.

so... he was never going to prison.

Until he screws it again.

Spain is a joke. #RichPrivilege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom