• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 & Off-season |OT2| 5000-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floody

If Daahoud comes to England, it would almost certainly be to play for Pep. Liverpool would likely be a distant second option.

He also liked a picture of Klopp, which is something I guess, and Liverpool is willing to pay £25million for him. I can already see what will happen, Liverpool will be linked with him all summer, his club will finally say okay, but pay this much, Liverpool will try and get a better deal (by a few million), and he'll join City on the final day of the Window.

Fun Crystal Palace fact:

During the first transfer window after the promotion from The Championship, three seasons ago, Ian Holloway signed 15 players. When Dwight Gayle was sold to Newcastle last week, he was the last of those 15 players to leave the club.

Not really the best transfer windows a club can have.

But we still have six players left from the promotion winning squad.

Oxx

Wolves are very well supported and they have a bitter rival in the Prem, a great stadium and a fantastic youth system.

Sounds like a good investment opportunity to me. Just keeping adding money and upgrading what I've noted above and sit back = profit.

Yeah, there's potential for a mega-club in the Midlands. With TV money being what it is it might be less necessary to suck-up the London corporate crowd.

The jungle drums are beating that a deal is close to being finalised for Robin Li, founder of Baidu and the ninth richest man in China, to buy Wolves and install Julen Lopetegui as the manager.

For context, Li's net worth is about £5 billion more than that of Roman Abramovich.

Don't want to hang the bunting just yet, but this has been rumbling in the Spanish media for days without the club actually denying it, and there does seem to be something happening. All I know is that it's been a very long time since we've had much to cheer about as a club, and to rocket from mid-table Championship no-hopers to one of the richest clubs in world football would be a hell of a thing.

It's a wonderful thought though isn't it? Been following it since the rumours started, was sceptical, then Guillem Balague started tweeting about it... Then there's the 3 players we've were linked to aswell when takeover is done and Jul en Lopetegui is appointed manager/coach, the girlfriend of Ivan Cavaleiro saying he is joining us.
It's hard not to get a little excited, but yes must try to remain calm and grounded

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Benatia off to Juve according to Sky Sports

Also...

Burnley want £20 Million for Michael Keane

1jiP4Aj.gif

Gothos

Still waiting on the movement between Liverpool and Udinese regarding Zielinski deal. I would love to see our player in the Premiership, but to be honest I'm not sure he's ready to play at this level. But I would like to see him try :p

T-Rex.

Banned
Still waiting on the movement between Liverpool and Udinese regarding Zielinski deal. I would love to see our player in the Premiership, but to be honest I'm not sure he's ready to play at this level. But I would like to see him try :p
They accepted a bid from Napoli for him, but rejected the exact same bid from us. We don't like overpaying so I doubt we'll get him, unless he digs his heels in and refuses to move anywhere else.

Floody

Apparently Palace are submitting an improved bid of £31.5 mil. for Benteke. Surely we'll take that.

Bloody crazy if true, and if we turn it down the committee (or whoever handles that stuff) all deserve a nice hard kick in the balls.

He is going to absolutely destroy us with Palace when we meet though.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I can only imagine the wages. I hope Palace don't become one of those clubs that spends an obscene amount trying to save itself and never recovers.

Floody

I can only imagine the wages. I hope Palace don't become one of those clubs that spends an obscene amount trying to save itself and never recovers.

Benteke should do really well if they play to his strengths, which they already do, they are over paying sure, but they are overpaying on the right type of player, unlike we do.

Benteke should do really well if they play to his strengths, which they already do, they are over paying sure, but they are overpaying on the right type of player, unlike we do.

We're overpaying, because you started it ;). It seems to be depedent on what you paid last season for him.

That said, I think we should be able to afford him, considering how relatively little we spent last season.

The problem though, is that we need two new strikers, not just one.

Gothos

They accepted a bid from Napoli for him, but rejected the exact same bid from us. We don't like overpaying so I doubt we'll get him, unless he digs his heels in and refuses to move anywhere else.

Must be something more behind the scenes :) Why would they refuse the same bid?

Floody

Must be something more behind the scenes :) Why would they refuse the same bid?

Their owners are salty we didn't give their other team (Watford) a player for free. Napoli also apparently offered better wages, but I don't see why the club would reject our offer because of that.

Gothos

Shame. Oh well, maybe it'll turn out better for the player himself. Anyway, supposedly the transfer to Napoli will be confirmed tomorrow. Good luck, Piotrek :)

Not to be disrespectful, but when you're that rich, why Wolves?

When Abramovich took over Chelsea, it made sense (London club, decently successful at the time) and when the Sheiks took over City it also made sense (rival club to United, opportunity to utilise the Commonwealth stadium), but I don't see the same for this situation.

I mean, they're one of the founders of the league, sure, but they could go for Stoke, Aston Villa, Burnley etc. who are or have been in the Premier League recently. Is he a big fan of Wolves?
It's not an unfair point, but Wolves are exceptionally well set up for the future- probably the best in the Midlands, all told. Newly-upgraded facilities across the board, a world-class academy setup, a large and engaged fanbase- for the outlay you'd have to pay, I don't think you're likely to get much of a better deal.

There's also more trivial, spurious stuff being speculated- Gold is a lucky colour in China! Baidu's motto is essentially out of darkness cometh light!- but I'd say that the club is a very worthy asset that's been mistreated over recent years. With the obvious purchases having been grabbed, a sleeping giant like Wolves makes a lot of sense for a prospective investor looking to make a splash in the sport.

Pelle should reject Chelsea, doubt he'll be played much

Well, there really isn't any better time for him to join Chelsea, is there?

Conte as coach, Costa being a dick, out of form, and wanting to leave, Michy Batshuayi probably going to be a sub, and Loïc Rémy possibly leaving.

Fdkn

the thing with PL bubble is that really mediocre players are probably getting absurd wages that will be a heavy burden when their teams want to get rid of them.

That was already a problem in a lower scale with the british players bubble (that's why they rarely leave to Europe) but now it is getting ridiculous.

There's always China I guess.

Think wanting to stay in Britain is just a psyche thing

We're a nation of xenophobes and fearers of being outside our comfort zone. 52% of us anyway ¬¬

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I love Strachan

Reporter: "Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?"

Strachan: "No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah."

Tubie

Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Griezmann, and Kroos should be the top 5 in consideration for the ballon this year.

Should go to Bale or Griezmann imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom