• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

norinrad

From B Rod to J Klopp, what an upgrade, I bet Liverpool fans think they're dreaming or something

He wasn't a bad manager, but some of his decisions were just not logical, like playing a lone striker when it did not fit with the material he had. As for him being a slumlord, that has nothing to do with anyone's business :p

B-Rod fell apart when he abandoned both philosophies that had made it feel like we were on the right track

Swansea-type possession play - Wasn't massively effective, but we had a direction we were going in, it was okay to watch and you could see it would work much better with a few tweaks to the personnel. Backed up by a great January window, which saw our form massively improve.

Balls-out attacking - Ridiculously exciting, effective in attack while shite at the back, not obsessed with controlling games but there was a flow to our attacking play, everyone in that front 6 knew what one-another was doing.

After that, it's just been a mess. Lost Suarez which obviously had a massive impact, but instead of even trying to replace him with someone who could take his place in the system, Rodgers (and the committee?) threw the baby out after selling the bathwater, and we ended up with no philosophy whatsoever. 11 players just smashed together in hope rather than expectation.

Had a brief revival when we changed to the back 3, but our attacking play was still massively basic and clanky, akin to hitting our heads against a brick wall until eventually dislodging a brick.

Once teams figured out how to play against that though, we tanked again, and went into a downward spiral due to the cloud of negativity around the place, and frankly incredible lack of fortitude throughout the squad.

While we're not unsalvagably off the pace in the league this season, there's been very little to indicate that much has changed from last year in these aspects. Which is clear when you look at our results over the last 6 games.

In 5 of them, we've taken the lead and lost it, ending the match 1-1. In all 5 of those, we have been playing against teams where there is no excuse for scoring less than two. Sion, Norwich, Carlisle ffs. Everton are a good team and we were away, but 3 of their back 4 were second choice, and they played in a way that should have given us numerous chances on the counter.

Our attacking play was essentially broken over the last 15 months or so, and Klopp (hopefully) will have a tough job on his hands to fix that quickly enough for us to have a good season, bearing in mind that we don't have the individual quality in attack any more to essentially sacrifice whatever defensive solidity we have.

I like Rodgers and thought there was a small chance of him turning things around right to the end, but there's no denying that he got most things badly wrong in the last 15 months.

oipic

B-Rod fell apart when he abandoned both philosophies that had made it feel like we were on the right track <snip>

Just de-lurking for a moment to say that this is a terrific post, Hitcher, thanks - perfectly sums up where Rodgers went wrong, and how it unraveled for him (and the team), and our current predicament, I reckon. I wholeheartedly agree on all points.

I was hoping that the arrival and presence of Gary McAllister, who had obviously been on board briefly in what were more Liverpool-like times, might've had more of an influence on Rodgers tactically, and perhaps philosophically. Perhaps that was clouded by my rose-tinted glasses though, and there's only so much Gary Mc could influence in this short period of time, I suppose.

I can't help but feel a bit sad about how it all turned out. I really admired BR's energy and vision early in his tenure - it's a shame it couldn't endure, but in the end, his position was untenable. The whole feel of the place seems to have been odd in recent months.

The owners and directors need to take their (very large) share of accountability for this, too - I hope a thorough review is (or has been) undertaken, and some harsh lessons learned.

Bring on the Klopp era - it won't be dull, one way or another!

caramac

Can Alzheimers be slowed down if it's caught early?

I'm only really aware of what it can be like at it's worst

My mum was diagnosed with alzheimers about 3 years ago and yeah there are drugs that can slow it down slightly if its diagnosed early enough.
Also, unfortunately they can cause some pretty unpleasant side effects.

That's clearly Joko

SiKgSaM.jpg

Hold me Milch

Liverpool vs Dortmund, CL Final 2017

I'd be all for that of course :lol

I'll wonder if Kloppo will go for some BVB players next summer. Hummels or Gündogan probably don't want to go to Liverpool and I think Micky is happy to be away from Klopp after two rather shitty seasons for him. I could see Klopp going for Subotic, would be a great and probably rather cheap addition for your squad. Although Subotic could end up staying when Hummels leaves.

Edit: Maybe Bender as well, Tuchel doesn't seem to rate him too highly as DM.

I'll wonder if Kloppo will go for some BVB players next summer. Hummels or Gündogan probably don't want to go to Liverpool and I think Micky is happy to be away from Klopp after two rather shitty seasons for him. I could see Klopp going for Subotic, would be a great and probably rather cheap addition for your squad. Although Subotic could end up staying when Hummels leaves.

Subotic makes a lot of sense for everyone as long as he's currently out of the team for reasons other than being irreversibly shit. We've already got that in Lovren :p

Clyne Subotic Sakho Moreno

I like that, depending on Moreno carrying his improvement at wingback over to fullback

raven777

BBC 5 live Sport &#8207;@5liveSport 6m6 minutes ago
BREAKING:

The BBC understands that Jurgen Klopp will be announced as the new Liverpool manager tomorrow.

Beefy

Where do you think Hummels will go?

How many players do you think he will get rid off?
Mignolet, Lovren and Toure are fucked

Expect a lot more to leave when they are demoted. Skrtel, Allen, Lucas, Lallana probably. None of them have age/potential on their side. Coutinho, Henderson and sturridge are the only players in the squad who I'm absolutely sure he'll want to keep, and in sturridge's case that depends on his injuries being at least somewhat behind him

Beefy

Mignolet, Lovren and Toure are fucked

Expect a lot more to leave when they are demoted. Skrtel, Allen, Lucas, Lallana probably. None of them have age/potential on their side. Coutinho, Henderson and sturridge are the only players in the squad who I'm absolutely sure he'll want to keep, and in sturridge's case that depends on his injuries being at least somewhat behind him

Still can't believe the prices you paid for our players.

Beefy

I can't believe what a coward Lallana is :p

I thought we were getting someone who wants to be on the ball all the time, but he's petrified of it

Always been the same. He was lucky when he played for Saints he was the main guy, but he still wimped out of challenges and lost the ball a lot. I doubt he could get in our team now. As for Lovren...

PowderedToast

when the quality fell last year and the media turned on rodgers, I don't think he had the strength of personality, conviction or experience to stick to his guns. and a compromised coach who is primarily concerned for his job will never work. he had one chance before it all went sour and missed the target by the finest of margins. after that, the consequences of his over-promotion became evident

klopp will surely go through a difficult patch, but he can always point to what he's accomplished. if you don't have that, the liverpool job will just eat you up, imo

norinrad

Klopp could have a shit first season while shipping out the deadwood. Next season is where Liverpool fans should be looking forward to.

Yea, BR didn't have the CV to handle a regression. Probably the last time FSG hires a guy whose greatest accomplishment is a promotion.

Hope Klopp understands Sakho's glory like Brendan never did. Maybe Flanno will impress him when he comes back. But yeah, the players are gonna have to adjust to a new pecking order. Interesting times

Gets Swansea promoted: Martinez's work
Has a very good first season in the PL: Martinez's work
Completely unexpected title challenge: Suarez's work

Nonsense.

#Ribérunderagegate will forever follow him.

I am really looking forward to having him back along Robben
With Co-Co and Robbéry, Bayern will be unstoppable, 70's Ajax-style.

Gastone

I'm super excited about Klopp, and i can't wait to see what changes he makes to the team and it's lineup. I would love to see some proper consistency in the team from now on. Rodgers was all over the place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom