• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, terminating his contract alone would save something like £12m a year.

I'm not really sure what's going to happen with Rooney at the end of this season. He probably won't be sold, and he should be dropped right now for Martial, but then he's been an integral part of United for the last decade and I'm sure he wants to get the all time goal scoring record.

That's revising history a bit, no? After Ronaldo left, Rooney was supposed to become the main man, but that only lasted until Fergie brought in RVP to get one last title. Somehow Moyes contrived to make him indispensable.

RiggyRob

You know, you don't actually have to play him right now either.

That's mainly cause LVG's made a rod for his own back saying the captain must always play, and it'd cause a media shitstorm to change it now.

That's revising history a bit, no? After Ronaldo left, Rooney was supposed to become the main man, but that only lasted until Fergie brought in RVP to get one last title. Somehow Moyes contrived to make him indispensable.

Not really, I don't think anyone can argue that Rooney hasn't been a key player for the last ten years. If Fergie was still the manager, Rooney wouldn't be here, but you have to say Rooney did predict City's spending would mean United would get put in their shadow if they didn't do something about it.

But yeah, Moyes giving him another 5 year contract was silly fucking mental.

Vard

Sick of all these draws. Really thought today would be a win. Bummer... Next up Bournemouth in the cup, then Chelsea away. Time to break the drawing streak?

TeddyBoy

There was such an improvement when Firmino and Benteke came on so to draw felt terrible.

I think once we can play a couple of Firmino, Benteke or Sturridge together we'll start clicking more.

I'm a little concerned with the midfield of Lucas and Can playing every game, they can't keep playing three times a week until the summer :/

I'm a little concerned with the midfield of Lucas and Can playing every game, they can't keep playing three times a week until the summer :/

January window? Liverpool have been crying out for a Lucas backup / long-term replacement for years now. And when's Hendo back? Surely Welsh Xavi can rotate in for Can at points too?

TeddyBoy

January window? Liverpool have been crying out for a Lucas backup / long-term replacement for years now. And when's Hendo back? Surely Welsh Xavi can rotate in for Can at points too?

Klopp came in with the idea he'd do better with the current set of players than Rodgers would, bringing more people in January doesn't really fit that.

I agree we need a replacement/upgrade on Lucas but Rodgers never liked/felt the need for a defensive midfielder so it's been a neglected position since Benitez really.

I'm not sure when Henderson is back but at least he can swap with Can.

Allen looked very poor against Rubin Kazan midweek and even got subbed at halftime because of it, I'm not sure he's the answer.

There was such an improvement when Firmino and Benteke came on so to draw felt terrible.

I think once we can play a couple of Firmino, Benteke or Sturridge together we'll start clicking more.

Agreed.

Lallana seemed especially useless today. He is clearly a step below Countinho and Firmino in terms of technical ability, and he simply brings nothing else to make up for that. I expect he'll be out in by next summer at the latest.

Can at times looked raw and lumbering, but I expect it to take him several games before he is comfortable in midfield again.

Moreno at times looked quite good. Need to see more of that from him.

Yep, Lallana offered nothing again unfortunately. Moreno was good but could be more composed in attacking positions. I'd imagine a good DM has to be Klopp's first signing.

Beefy

Agreed.

Lallana seemed especially useless today. He is clearly a step below Countinho and Firmino in terms of technical ability, and he simply brings nothing else to make up for that. I expect he'll be out in by next summer at the latest.

Can at times looked raw and lumbering, but I expect it to take him several games before he is comfortable in midfield again.

Moreno at times looked quite good. Need to see more of that from him.

Still think Rodgers was mad paying us £25m for Lallana.

Gandalf

Daniel Storey
‏@danielstorey85
55% passing accuracy for Wayne Rooney. No shots on target. No chances created. Lost possession five more times than any other player.

I said throughout I thought it was his most useless performance in a Utd shirt, and those damning stats back it up. Even his first touch was terrible.

Absolutely useless. Hope Van Gaal will have the balls to drop him soon.

Jarnet87

Manchester Derby was pure shit. Looked so much like that Manchester United vs Chelsea home game back when Moyes was in charge. Both teams going for the draw. Credit to Rojo and Valencia for keeping Sterling and De Bruyne silent, though at the Etihad City will do a lot more to support their 2 wingers, especially if Silva and Aguero go. Yaya Toure was useless out there, I hope he's in the same mood for the return clash lol. van Gaal is completely wasting Martial out wide. Wayne Rooney getting injured is the best thing that could happen to the side. Wishing injury to a player is awful but for fucks sake its the only way he's gonna get dropped. Martial up front and let Young or Depay compete for that left wing spot. I thought van Gaal should have really gone for it with City missing 2of it's studs.

Manchester Derby was pure shit. Looked so much like that Manchester United vs Chelsea home game back when Moyes was in charge. Both teams going for the draw. Credit to Rojo and Valencia for keeping Sterling and De Bruyne silent, though at the Etihad City will do a lot more to support their 2 wingers, especially if Silva and Aguero go. Yaya Toure was useless out there, I hope he's in the same mood for the return clash lol. van Gaal is completely wasting Martial out wide. Wayne Rooney getting injured is the best thing that could happen to the side. Wishing injury to a player is awful but for fucks sake its the only way he's gonna get dropped. Martial up front and let Young or Depay compete for that left wing spot. I thought van Gaal should have really gone for it with City missing 2of it's studs.

I think you are totally missing the role that Toure was playing. He was primarily there to maintain shape and play in Sterling, KdB, and Bony with all four of them playing more defensive roles than normal. He missed a total sitter though which he has done a few times this season. Personally I wouldn't have had Toure on for that kind of game but he played well for what his role was and played some of the best passes of the game, especially the one touch back heel forward to de Bruyne. KdB, Sterling and Bony had the poorest performance for City and were practically ineffective partially due to Rojo and Valencia, Bony was just shit and would have preferred Ihenacho on to put some pace on Jones to force those mistakes of his.

City went for the tactical point game and it worked, as a City fan I was happy because Pelligrini always goes for full out attacking displays and likes to invite teams into the defence (this part I hate) so to change so much to make sure we didn't lose points to a potential title candidate made me very happy and from that display I expect City to win the league where before hand I thought Arsenal had a solid chance (I still think they will be in it). Not really sure United were going for the draw though as they were constantly trying to play forward but Rooney was totally ineffective and not that much different from other games they have played recently, they are clearly drilling a solid framework to build from especially if you have watched any of Van Gaals prior teams which all took similar approaches.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I need to find a place where I can play five-a-side consistently and free. It's so dumb that in the U.S. you have to rent public fields for soccer. Yet you don't have to rent basketball courts or American football fields. Things like this why the U.S. will never fulfill its potential in the sport.

I think we are about due for a Rooney "injury" so United can start stringing some wins together. It is fucking madness that no matter how shit he plays, he keeps getting starts. For a player with some awful performances in the last dozen matches, Sunday was notably bad.

I think we are about due for a Rooney "injury" so United can start stringing some wins together. It is fucking madness that no matter how shit he plays, he keeps getting starts. For a player with some awful performances in the last dozen matches, Sunday was notably bad.

The earliest Rooney can get entirely dropped or sold is after the Euros, I think. The English football/media establishment would tear LvG apart otherwise.

That is, unless he can accept becoming a 300k rotation player. On merit, he shouldn't be first-choice ahead of Martial and Herrera as number 9 or 10.

bjaelke

Jose Mourinho has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association over his language and behaviour in Chelsea's defeat by West Ham United.

Mourinho was sent to the stands after going to speak to referee Jon Moss in his room at half-time on Saturday.

Both clubs have been charged for failing to control their players and have until 29 October to respond.

Chelsea are already facing a £25,000 fine for receiving more than five bookings in the Premier League loss.

As well as the two yellow cards given to Nemanja Matic, Chelsea also had Cesar Azpilicueta, Willian, Cesc Fabregas, John Mikel Obi and Diego Costa booked at Upton Park.

Mourinho's assistant Silvino Louro was also dismissed during the match and has been charged with misconduct in relation to his behaviour in the technical area.

The club is also going to be asked by the Premier League to explain why Mourinho did not take part in the post-match news conference.

On Friday, Mourinho warned that his relationship with the media would be changing after phone camera footage of him in west London was published.

Mourinho watched most of the second half from the directors' box at Upton Park, but disappeared shortly after Carroll headed home West Ham's winner to make it 2-1, and did not reappear to fulfil his post-match press duties.

The Premier League have confirmed that should a club fail to undertake media obligations, the governing body will write to them to obtain their reasons before deciding on any sanction.

It added that this can range from a warning to a fine, with each case looked at on its merits.

The FA is awaiting referee Moss's report on the game, which is expected to detail why Mourinho was sent off.

Mourinho also received a suspended stadium ban this month, imposed for claiming officials were "afraid" to award his team penalties in the aftermath of the 3-1 home defeat by Southampton on 3 October.
Absolutely sensational

EmiPrime

He's not going to last the year is he? I thought Chelsea would win the league again but their players came back in August unfit (some overweight), Terry is passed it, Courtois got a bad injury and Mourinho has become so deranged even his team don't want to play for him. Hazard has gone from being one of the top 5 players in the league to not giving a shit.

Glad to see them get their comeuppance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom