• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danchi

Predictions for the Arsenal starting 11 against Sheff Wednesday? There's been a few articles in the press about a lot of youngsters training with the first team, but I don't expect many of them to start personally.

Cech, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Chambers, Gibbs, Flamini, Kamara, Campbell, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Iwobi, Giroud.

Cech is confirmed by Wenger since Ospina is out. Arteta is also out, I believe, so that leaves room for a youngster and Kamara has a little more experience than someone like Bielik (who has been playing as a CB lately anyway). Ox is a first-team player with Ramsey out now, but I still think he'll play since he hasn't had many games lately and it's an opportunity to boost his confidence. Up front, it's a toss up between Theo and Giroud to start, but with the next game being away I'm assuming Arsene will try and expose Swansea on the break with Theo's pace.

Rush_Khan

I hope Arsenal doesn't start any of the current first 11 (apart from Cech, unless they play a goalkeeper youngster). Really don't care about this game.

Hoffenheim is killing me.

Looks like Stevens will only be the coach for the rest of the season, which is not very surprising to be honest.

HOWEVER, Kicker says they will announce that 28-year-old Julian Nagelsmann, their current U19-coach who doesn't yet have a coaching license, will take over next season. He would be the youngest Bundesliga coach ever. Or hopefully, the youngest 2nd Bundesliga coach ever :lol

EmiPrime

He's at the U17 World Cup in Chile.

Ah good luck to him!

http://www.theguardian.com/football...-black-sector-segregation-racism-chelsea-uefa

A Ukrainian stadium director has proposed to combat racism on the terraces by segregating black supporters to avoid the scenes witnessed at Dynamo Kyiv’s recent Champions League draw with Chelsea.

Uefa has opened disciplinary proceedings against Dynamo Kyiv, who are facing three charges including one of racist behaviour by supporters at the Olympic Stadium. Footage of an apparent attack on four black fans was obtained by the anti-discrimination network Fare, and passed to Uefa’s disciplinary body.

And the director of the Olympic Stadium, Volodimir Spilchenko, has suggested that one of the potential solutions is to have a “black sector” in the ground.

I have no words...

Bumhead

Banned
I hope Arsenal doesn't start any of the current first 11 (apart from Cech, unless they play a goalkeeper youngster). Really don't care about this game.

We will make changes as well, just like for when we knocked Newcastle out. Our manager has already confirmed our 19 year old Goalkeeper will be starting.

I won't go as far as to say Wednesday don't care about this game, as obviously we do, but it won't be our first 11 out there tonight either. Forest on Saturday is vastly more important for us.

Danchi

Cech, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Chambers, Gibbs, Flamini, Kamara, Campbell, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Iwobi, Giroud.

This has just been confirmed as the starting 11.

I'm little concerned with a central three of Flamini, Kamara, and Oxlade-Chamberlain (as the number 10). Flamini has absolutely no positional discipline, which could leave Kamara exposed.

When Flamini came off the bench against Everton he basically played as the 10. I originally thought Wenger was trying to employ some kind of unusual high pressing tactic (I think Pep played Javi Martinez really high up the pitch once in an effort to to create a more effective, high defensive line). Nope. Turns out he was just being a moron.

Oxlade-Chamberlain's confidence is also low and he hasn't been tracking back like he should do. If he carries on giving the ball away, Sheff Wednesday may be able to counter on the break (though I don't know enough about them to say whether or not they're set up to play like that). I do think he's been unlucky lately though. It seems like every other time he shoots, it gets deflected to the opposition and they score on the counter.

Gambit

fuck that fraud guardiola

now let's watch him start thiago as LW and Vidal as RW and Lahm as CM against arsenal again

in his defense (a little bit) we did have some injuries like Martinez. But, damn, your Alaba is so incredible as LB.

Coman is ridiculous today.

He is. I was going to say he might be a bigger talent than Costa, but then again Costa is also fantastic in the middle today.

spidye

in his defense (a little bit) we did have some injuries like Martinez. But, damn, your Alaba is so incredible as LB.

I am still amazed about his decision to play Lahm and Kimmich in the midfield when we were overrun by arsenal's midfield
what a dumb decision which costed us the game, IMO

Gambit

I am still amazed about his decision to play Lahm and Kimmich in the midfield when we were overrun by arsenal's midfield
what a dumb decision which costed us the game, IMO

Kimmich is our usual Alonso replacement and Rafinha is an ok option (considering Coman, Martinez etc could not play), so I understood each measure on its own, but together it didn't work, as you said.

But I still feel it was a good game, where we lacked the pace we have today and we also lacked better chances and especially better finishing.

But it happens so often that Pep does strange things that I am simply getting used to it.

Bumhead

Banned
Haha!

I'm still getting used to the fact we're a half decent team again for the first time in 15 years.

We're worthy of the lead at half time. That wasn't a good first half to watch but we've done a good, disciplined job of controlling proceedings, not allowing Arsenal to dictate the play, and we've done well to take our chances when we've had them. I think we've probably surprised Arsenal with how comfortable we are on the ball and in our organisation without it. It's not a "typical" Championship style of play but it's one we are growing into quite nicely, hence why we are unbeaten in 8 in the league and winning 2-0 at HT here.

Rush_Khan

I'm not worried about this game. Sheff Wed are playing well in the Championship and we always lose to good teams in the CC. I'm just so annoyed that we've injured three right wingers in less than a week.

Save us, Campbell!

Danchi

Save us, Campbell!

Presumably, he's gonna be playing the last 20-30 minutes up front so maybe...

Giroud played the full game against Everton and with Walcott *possibly* missing the Swansea game, it seems like Arsene has no choice but to use his third sub on him.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Couldn't care less about the result since its only the capital one cup, but man...Those injuries :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom